Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

A good reason to lose 20 pounds

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-12, 09:02 AM
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts

I've been slowly losing weight since I resumed cycling in 2007. I started near 240 pounds and started with a heavy commuter bike with touring wheels. Once I got under 225 pounds, I switched to a Cyclocross bike with 32 spoke Shimano/Mavic Open Pro wheelset.

A year ago I added a carbon fiber road bike and went with a solid set of 32 spoke Shimano 105/Velocity A23 wheels. I'm now down to 205 pounds.

I'm building a new carbon fiber Cyclocross bike and need another set of wheels. I've been very happy with the Shimano 105/Velocity A23 wheels and would really like to have them on the new Cyclocross bike with a set of 700x32 Vittoria Hyper Randonneuring tires.

I've been searching for a new wheelset for the road bike.

Yesterday I got a promotional email from Competitive Cyclist offering a set of 2011 HED Ardennes GP Clincher wheelset. These wheels will save about 500 grams (more a pound), while retaining the supple ride and good handling of the 23mm wide Velocity A23 rim.

I'm getting conflicting weight limit data from HED and Competitive Cyclist. Competitive Cyclist states a 190 pound weight limit for the 2011 HED Ardennes GP while HED states 210 pounds for the 2012 HED Ardennes GP.

Either way, I should lose the weight.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 07-11-12, 10:22 AM
I need speed

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cervelo P2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
When the LBS put together my Gunnar Sport (my first road bike), I was in the 220# range, and they sold me these wheels. After a couple of truings early on (one after a crash), they have stayed true, and I've never broken a spoke. At 1580g for the pair and around $450, they are reasonably light for their price range.

Torelli Bormio SL
Old 07-11-12, 10:43 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Ride lighter

Mean it--The way you ride the bike can make a difference on how well the wheels will stand up to punishment. My lighter wheels are Ultegras- low spoke count and they ride well. No weight limit as far as I know on these but I also have a set of Aksiums. Not a wheel I enjoy but I class them as indestructable. I loan them out occasionally to anyone that is stuck for a wheel and no problems---Until I loaned them to my son-in-law. It's not his weight as Heavier riders have used them--It is the way he rides. Full blast all the time and throwing the bike from side to side violently on acceleration and he never sees the Poor road surface or lump in the road that others try or avoid or get out of the saddle for. 1 weeks commuting from him on these wheels and it was 3 broken spokes and a warped front rim from a big hit.

Spike Milligan
Old 07-11-12, 10:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you are going to race Cross. Weight limits means nothing. Even if you get down to 165
Old 07-11-12, 10:52 AM
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Velocycling: I might race cross with the CF cross bike, but it's primary duty will be a mix of pavement and gravel long distance rides. The Cross bike will get the 32 spoke Shimano 105/Velocity A23 wheels.

The road bike will get the new 20 spoke front & 28 spoke rear HED wheelset. I'll use tires in the 700x23 to 700x25 range. This is a paved road bike.

Stepfam: Yes, I do try to reduce the stress on the wheels by steering around road damage. I'll also get out of the saddle and let the bike undulate when bad pavement is unavoidable.

My 32 spoke wheels have been very reliable. I'm going to have make an extra effort to keep these wheel as true.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 07-11-12 at 11:57 AM.
Old 07-11-12, 12:03 PM

Bikes: 2011 Specialized Sectuer, 1988 Bianchi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I am currently 225lbs, down from 245lb a year ago. Would like to loose 20lbs more, but alas I think I am forlorned to the brotherhood of Clyde for who knows how long...