Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

After the skunk walked across the road in front of me today......

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-12, 05:46 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts

I did a semi climbing ride out of town today. Traffic was stopped on the interstate so I got off on an exit that has a Bike Shop I've frequented before and is well respected in the area. In fact the shop owner is on my Board of Directors for the Time Trials. The guys doing maintenance are about as good as you'll find.

The shop carries the model of bikes I've been studying for over a year. I stopped by just to see if they had any good deals and to also have them look at my Prince. The Prince was making an awful popping noise with every pedal stroke........extremely annoying on today's ride. That bike is a real pleasure to ride when everything works well but that has been less frequent than desired.

They generously looked over the Prince very thoroughly and very quickly.

The exact model and color of bike I've been looking for was on a very decent sale today. I need a 58 frame and it's unusual to find my frame size but they even had one on the sales floor and it was greatly marked down. They asked if I wanted to test ride it........even after riding for 5 hours earlier in the day I jumped at the chance and did a quick 15 miles. It passes the test.

I got them to put it on their scales to see how much it weighed. I want to greatly cut the weight on the bike by changing the grouppo and the wheels and I also need to reduce the bars from a 44 to a 42 (just as a personal preference). I also want to change the RD so I can run a 11-32 cassette for the steeper stuff. I learned that SRAM is now making a RD Red that will accommodate up to a 32 gear. I bought the wheels earlier this year thinking I'd find a frame and would build up the bike to suit my needs. They are going to price those changes over the weekend and give me a call early next week. My birthday is just a couple weeks off so I can save my wife the hassle of looking for something if we're able to close the deal.

If this works out I'll have Shimano DuraAce on the Trek 5900, Campy Super Record 11 speed on the Prince and now SRAM Red. It was my first time riding SRAM. My initial impression is SRAM is "serviceable". It's clunky and loud but if it will get the weight down and shift to the correct gear when needed I'll give it a try. Shimano is really hard to beat. The LBS guys begged me to ride a bike fitted with DIA but I declined as I know once I rode it I'd probably be hooked.

Stay tuned.

Oh yeah. The skunk. That was a first. I've had all types of critters cross in front of me on the road but never a skunk. I've seen them as road kill many times but never a live one. This particular one didn't mind me and I was extremely happy about that.
Old 08-25-12, 06:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Like children on a bike path, skunks always have the right of way.
Old 08-25-12, 06:12 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jppe
Oh yeah. The skunk. That was a first. I've had all types of critters cross in front of me on the road but never a skunk. I've seen them as road kill many times but never a live one. This particular one didn't mind me and I was extremely happy about that.
I bet you are glad it wasn't a dead one. I love this song! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UejelYnVI3U
Old 08-26-12, 12:44 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
So Skunks seem like Black Cats over here.

Bit of an omen and you can take it any way you like- Good or Bad.

Good that the bike in your size was available and you got the test ride but bad in that you didn't walk away with it.

And haven't tried it but check out the DIA. It may be worth it.

Spike Milligan
Old 08-26-12, 07:04 AM

Bikes: Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I remember many years ago on a trip with the wife and kids traveling the back roads and we must've run over skunk road kill. It took a couple of days of lots of traveling before the tire didn't stink any longer.
Old 08-26-12, 05:06 PM
Council of the Elders

Bikes: 1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Photos are really, really going to be needed soon. And not of the skunk either. I'm already drooling.

On electronic shifting: they had a booth at the 50+ Harpeth River Ride where they would convert your bike to Ultegra Electronic on the spot for about $2k or so. They had a demo bike on a stand with it and they invited me to shift it through the gears. Oohh La La! If it wouldn't make me such a poseur I would have to have it.

Last edited by billydonn; 08-26-12 at 05:14 PM.
Old 08-26-12, 05:08 PM

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
Never poke a skunk.

Laugh if you will, but that bit of wisdom has kept me out of a lot of trouble.

Old 08-26-12, 05:46 PM

Bikes: Bridgestone RB-1. Nicely restored

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
On my typical evening rides, I frequently cut through a local cemetery. I've seen all sorts of local wildlife, including a few skunks. Keep your distance! Don't scare Mister Skunk.

Also seen: Rabbits, Turkeys, Deer (two occasions.) Raccoons (They are very curious about me, it would seem) Foxes, and Red tailed hawks. The Hawks have a habit of
perching on the head of a civil war statue.
Old 08-27-12, 10:52 PM

Bikes: 2011 Trek SOHO Deluxe, and 2010 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Di2 won't work with a 32 sprocket; so, you are better off with the SRAM. The Di2 works great with a 30 sprocket.

I fully understand about the bars. I swapped my 44 for a 40. I may have even liked a 38, but the LBS didn't have one in stock.
Old 08-27-12, 10:56 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by billydonn
Photos are really, really going to be needed soon. And not of the skunk either. I'm already drooling.

On electronic shifting: they had a booth at the 50+ Harpeth River Ride where they would convert your bike to Ultegra Electronic on the spot for about $2k or so. They had a demo bike on a stand with it and they invited me to shift it through the gears. Oohh La La! If it wouldn't make me such a poseur I would have to have it.
I got mine a lot cheaper. After I sold my Ultegra 6700 brifters and derailleurs on ebay, I spent about $900. Installation was easy and fun. The Di2 is very easy to adjust. After I rode an S Works with Dura Ace Di2, I can vouch for the Ultegra Di2 being a more cost effective solution. I could tell no difference in shifting the rear derailleur and a little faster and smoother front derailleur shift.
Old 08-28-12, 12:47 AM
Council of the Elders

Bikes: 1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by gtragitt
The Di2 won't work with a 32 sprocket; so, you are better off with the SRAM. The Di2 works great with a 30 sprocket.

I fully understand about the bars. I swapped my 44 for a 40. I may have even liked a 38, but the LBS didn't have one in stock.
Greg,
Theres a Nick Legan video showing DI2 working a 32 tooth cassette. It's at Cycling News I think.

Ahhh....I found the video

Last edited by billydonn; 08-28-12 at 01:07 AM.
Old 08-28-12, 01:30 AM

Bikes: 2008 Trek Madone 5.5, 2009 Cervelo R3SL tdf edition, Cervelo R5 with Di2

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by gtragitt
The Di2 works great with a 30 sprocket.
Interesting... I have a 28 on back, and assumed that was pushing it. Who makes the 30-sprocket cassette? I may have to give that a try. I guess I can always put the 28 back on if it doesn't work for some reason.
Old 08-28-12, 06:17 PM
The guy in the 50+ jersey

Bikes: Specialized S-Works Roubaix, Litespeed Tuscany Road, Specialized Allez Epic lugged carbon frame Road,Giant Anthem 29'r, Klein Hardtail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Am I going to have to help you sell a bike again?
Old 08-28-12, 10:22 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by billydonn
Greg,
Theres a Nick Legan video showing DI2 working a 32 tooth cassette. It's at Cycling News I think.

Ahhh....I found the video
Thanks for the video. I noticed a small ring with 39 teeth. I would rather have a 34 tooth small ring and a 30 tooth sprocket.
Old 08-29-12, 05:24 AM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Originally Posted by PAlt
Am I going to have to help you sell a bike again?
Time will tell!