Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Century Ride Ethics Question

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-12, 11:54 PM

Bikes: Enough

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts

I don't know where to post this question, so I'll try here.

About 4 months ago I had a really bad bike accident: significant internal injuries, lots of broken bones, hospital time, 8 weeks off the bike. It would have been 6-8 weeks off work if I weren't teacherlady with a summer vacation.

My recovery goal has been participating in an organized [metric] century with about 3500-4000 feet of climbing for my birthday over Columbus Day weekend. I did the ride last year, and enjoyed myself immensely. I've wanted to go back and ride in the area again, but it is too remote for me to feel comfortable riding there other than on a ride with emergency support.

And there's the question. I'm not confident the ride is within my still-recovering limits. When I've done rides with sag wagons in the past, I haven't started the ride unless I was confident I could complete it barring serious injury or equipment failure. I have thought of sag wagons as emergency vehicles, like ambulances except cycling specific. Is it reasonable to start a ride I am not 99% confident I can finish, but only, say, 90% confident, relying on the sag wagon in case I am not as recovered as I hope I am?

Even before my crash, this ride would have been near (though comfortably within) my limits, not the very hardest ride I'd ever done, but among the dozen hardest. I definitely haven't climbed 3500 feet in a day since the crash and haven't gone 65 miles yet. My highest day has been 2500 feet, and my longest day has been 55 flat miles. Both of these days were this past weekend, Saturday and Sunday, and I could ride to work today (3.5 miles, but uphill all the way) happily. I wasn't completely exhausted Saturday (55 flat miles) but I was completely exhausted Sunday (40 hilly miles), though that might have had something to do with not eating dinner Saturday or lunch Sunday.

I have to decide this week, and let go of the room reservation or pay for it. Is it okay to rely on the sag wagon like I occasionally hop on public transit to come home when I get tired, or should I continue to think of it as only a short step less serious than an ambulance?

Thank you in advance for any insight.
Old 09-18-12, 12:28 AM
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,833 Times in 2,229 Posts
I have to ask, why would you go for a tough ride while recovering?
You wrote "significant internal injuries.... .... 8 weeks off the bike", therefore I'd pass on 3500ft of climbing + 60 miles.

When you are stressed and under pressure to compete you often make foolish decisions, which can compounded by group dynamics and unrealistic expectations. Be careful.
Old 09-18-12, 12:43 AM

Bikes: n + 1

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 15 Posts
That's a tough call for me to make, since I don't know you. It sounds like you have the ability, based on this past weekend's mileage. The injuries give me pause for concern. Personally, the only time I'd consider a sag is if my bike was mechanically unable to continue. Otherwise, I'd just take longer and more frequent breaks/rests, and tough it out to the end. I can't really recommend anything for you. Could you possible do more harm and damage by riding? If so, it probably is not worth it.
Old 09-18-12, 12:52 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Unless you attempt it- you will not know if it is possible. The sag wagon is there in case you can't do it so go for it.

Only proviso I would make is if the injuries from the crash start causing a problem. If they do late in the ride then I would persevere on to the finish and just slow down a bit. But if they start early in the ride then take the SAG wagon.

Spike Milligan
Old 09-18-12, 01:10 AM

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
The thing is... the sag wagon really isn't an issue.

The only way it would be is if you climbed in at the 90km mark, hopped out again at 99.9km and rode across the line, then claimed to have finished a metric century. You don't seem the sort of person to do that.

One of the major contributors I see to a person's recovery from such bad injuries is to set goals like yours.

The setback you had at the weekend with being completely exhausted on Sunday was due to self-management off the bike, not doing the rides. And that is the crux of the issue -- how you self-manage before and during the ride.

Judging from the distances so far, the ride may well be within your capability. You've done it before, so you know what to look for when it gets a bit more challenging. And you should have been practising on-bike rehydration and nutrition on your shorter rides. Plus, you will already have had any indication of whether your injuries are going to cause you problems, which so far it doesn't look like being the case.

I think perhaps you need to be patient on the ride, stop when you have to for a bit of recovery, ensure you look after your refuelling and rehydration, and enjoy the moments.

I am presuming the sag you are talking about it provided by a relation of yours and not officially. If so, ensure the person knows not to interfere with the progress of other riders along the route.

Other than that, I think you are very brave and deserve all the encouragement you can get. Coming back from such severe injuries after a bike accident is not easy, and one of the things you will have to cope with on this ride is the self-doubt that will creep in.

But believe all along the way that you have done this ride before, and you can again.

Last edited by Rowan; 09-18-12 at 01:13 AM.
Old 09-18-12, 05:29 AM

Bikes: 2012 Trek DS 8.5 all weather hybrid, 2008 LeMond Poprad cyclocross, 1992 Cannondale R500 roadbike

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think that you are the only person who can answer that question. But you need to step back and ask yourself if the reason for doing it is based on a confidence that you can do it without harming yourself (but a need for a backup plan if you are wrong). Or, is it a desire to push the limits for whatever the reason (competivness, trying to prove something to yourself, etc...)

Also, what do your physician(s) say about pushing yourself to your limit (regardless of what your reasons are)? You have the body and the knowledge of that body -- but they have the tests and techinical knowledge. You need to be able to incorporate both into your decision.

You don't want to hold yourself back from progress -- but neither do you want to set yourself back by trying to achieve something your body is not ready for.
Old 09-18-12, 06:44 AM
LET'S ROLL

Bikes: 2014 BMC Gran Fondo, 2013 Brompton S6L-X

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
I say go for it. You can't finish, take the van back.
Old 09-18-12, 06:47 AM
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 974 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 352 Posts
You did two hard rides in a row, and then rode the next day. It sounds like you are just about ready. You've got two more weekends before the Oct 6 ride. I would do it.

Do a longer ride next Saturday, a reasonably long ride the next Saturday, then take it easy the week before the big ride.

If I repeat a difficult ride, I find it's easier the second time. I know what to expect, and how hard to go on the climbs.

This:
Originally Posted by Rowan

I think perhaps you need to be patient on the ride, stop when you have to for a bit of recovery, ensure you look after your refuelling and rehydration, and enjoy the moments.

Last edited by rm -rf; 09-18-12 at 06:57 AM.
Old 09-18-12, 07:30 AM

Bikes: Volagi, daVinci Joint Venture

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
First, congratulations on getting back on the bike after your serious accident. Sounds like you've made a remarkable recovery.

As for the 90% confidence, you're probably better prepared than 90% of the first timers, but just be aware that SAG can be very slow in coming; if for any reason you don't feel able to complete the ride you might be waiting for a bit, hopefully not in the hot sun.
Old 09-18-12, 07:40 AM
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,245 Times in 623 Posts
Totally your call.

Most SAGs are volunteers and good people.
One may or may Not be available if you need one.

I did organized ride last month.(2500 riders)
My friend crashed and we Never could get a Sag to bring him in.
He limped in at 6 mph, stopping many times.

I would pass and ride it next year.

Last edited by 10 Wheels; 09-18-12 at 07:59 AM.
Old 09-18-12, 07:56 AM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I drive Sag for our club's 'Cinderella' (all women) metric century ride and can assure you that there are plenty of participants who have no expectation of finishing the ride. There are always requests for a sag ride back to the start from the very first rest stop - and we're happy to give them the lift back although there might be some stops along the way to fix flats and other mechanical issues that other riders are having. Certainly the majority of riders do complete the ride under their own power, but I see no ethical issue at all in participating if you're not sure you'll be able to do that. If the ride indicates that it has sag support then it's perfectly ok to make use of it.

Congratulations on your recovery and return to bicycling after your accident!
Old 09-19-12, 12:08 AM

Bikes: Enough

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
I registered!

Thank you for the advice!

I listened to all your comments, and then wrote the ride director. She told me not to worry, and to feel free to use the sag as a backup, not just for emergencies. She even sent me a discount code so I could qualify for the early bird discount when I explained why I had waited so late to register. I'm thrilled and eager.

I'm not worried about setting my recovery back. I am relatively young for this forum (54) and perhaps still recover relatively quickly. I am almost completely recovered; my PT says I've recovered remarkably quickly, and has released (fired?) me. I still do PT at home; but I've just added the shoulder strengthening and limbering exercises in to the exercises I do almost every day for 54 years worth of accumulated minor problems (the strengthening exercises that protect my knees, the stretches that prevent RSI, the stretches that prevent sciatica)

I'm just not certain I have the endurance. I'm still getting endurance back, but at this point, the parts that ache after a long ride aren't the parts I broke, but the same places that ached before I got broken. They just ache a little sooner.

The one thing I know I can't do yet? I had just bought a lovely new bike, light enough so that I could put it on top of my car by myself, and that I can't do yet. Fortunately, the bike (just) fits in the car.

Last edited by teacherlady; 09-23-12 at 10:52 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 09-19-12, 12:42 AM

Bikes: Cannondale t1, Koga-Miyata World Traveller

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Rowan
The thing is... the sag wagon really isn't an issue.

The only way it would be is if you climbed in at the 90km mark, hopped out again at 99.9km and rode across the line, then claimed to have finished a metric century. You don't seem the sort of person to do that..
I'm glad you decided to go for it. Do your personal best, under these circumstances and be proud of what you achieve. That doesn't necessarily mean finish. It does mean stopping when you think any more would set back your recovery, or otherwise be harmful, even if it is only exhaustion.

Does your bike have a granny gear (third small gear on your crank)? If so, don't be ashamed to use it. I have a granny gear on both my bikes, and seldom use the big gear on my crank.

Just the fact that you asked "Is this ethical?" suggests to me you are. If you finish the whole thing, wear the "I did it" T-shirt with pride. If not, give the T-shirt to Goodwill, and look forward to next year.

All the best!
Skilsaw
Old 09-19-12, 09:49 PM

Bikes: Trek Pilot 5.9

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I registered!
Good for you! Your last two long-distance training rides suggest you are almost ready for the metric century. As others have suggested, keep training hard over the next two weeks, and keep increasing the distance for your long ride each week, and you will definitely be ready for the big day.

Good luck and have fun! I admire how much you've recovered from such severe injuries.
Old 09-20-12, 04:22 AM

Bikes: Trek 600 ,1980Raleigh Competition G.S., 1986 Schwinn Passage, Facet Biotour 2000, Falcon San Remo 531,Schwinn Sierra, Sun Seeker tricycle recumbent,1985 Bianchi Squadra

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Best of luck . Having driven SAG many times , I can say unequivocally you should do the ride . We are not just there to provide rides, but also confidence . And sports drinks .
Old 09-20-12, 05:26 AM

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Just 2 cents to express my admiration encouragement. I haven't had to recover form an accident like you're doing. Glad to hear it hasn't stopped you from pursuing your goals. Have a great ride.
Old 09-20-12, 05:31 AM
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Glad you registered for the ride. No ethics problems that I could see. As many have said, I have done a sag weekend for centuries and no one is going to judge you for having to use the sag if you need it. I have my return and recovery metric century 2 weeks after yours on 20 Oct 12 so we can compare notes on the rides. I personally am looking forward to doing the MC and will not worry about if I need a sag ride. Just do your honest best and enjoy the day. Good luck.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 09-20-12, 05:55 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
You are going to let us know how it turned out; right?
Old 09-20-12, 10:23 AM
Shredding Grandma!

Bikes: I don't own any bikes

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Before doing the Century I would definitely check with the organization putting on the event to check out their sag situation... just some history... my first century was suppose to only be a 50 miler. I thought I would ride 50 miles with my friends and when I hit 50, stop and sag in. Little did I know... no vehicle sags! There were vehicles with emergency supplies but no room to bring in bikes. If you wanted to do a shorter ride, you were suppose to take a specifica route. So who knew I could a Century!??? I had no choice.

Personally i think its bad form to do a century with the expectation of stopping short... that means the space you take is a space a century rider has to wait for. Do the ride with the expecttion you can complete it. Hopefully once out there, you will get inspired to do the whole ride. If not, do you have a friend who can pick you up? You can make arrangements with them to meet you at a certain place at a certain time.

Anyway good luck. Coming back from serious injuries ( and yes I know) is tough. After breaking my collarbone and fracturing a wrist, I did a century after only 2 months of healing. Can't say that was smart but I was surprised how easy it was to do.

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.
Old 09-20-12, 11:29 AM
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
If nobody does the ride unless they're SURE they can complete it, you really don't need SAG wagons at all. If you've got people riding 60 or 100 miles that have never done it before, that's when they come into play.
Old 09-20-12, 11:33 AM
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,245 Times in 623 Posts
Originally Posted by teacherlady

After listening to all your comments, and then wrote the ride director. She told me not to worry, and to feel free to use the sag as a backup, not just for emergencies. She even sent me a discount code so I could qualify for the early bird discount when I explained why I had waited so late to register. I'm thrilled and eager.

I'm not worried about setting my recovery back. I am relatively young for this forum (54) and perhaps still recover relatively quickly. I am almost completely recovered; my PT says I've recovered remarkably quickly, and has released (fired?) me. I still do PT at home; but I've just added the shoulder strengthening and limbering exercises in to the exercises I do almost every day for 54 years worth of accumulated minor problems (the strengthening exercises that protect my knees, the stretches that prevent RSI, the stretches that prevent sciatica)

I'm just not certain I have the endurance. I'm still getting endurance back, but at this point, the parts that ache after a long ride aren't the parts I broke, but the same places that ached before I got broken. They just ache a little sooner.

The one thing I know I can't do yet? I had just bought a lovely new bike, light enough so that I could put it on top of my car by myself, and that I can't do yet. Fortunately, the bike (just) fits in the car.
Have a Great Ride....

Old 09-21-12, 04:21 AM

Bikes: Trek 600 ,1980Raleigh Competition G.S., 1986 Schwinn Passage, Facet Biotour 2000, Falcon San Remo 531,Schwinn Sierra, Sun Seeker tricycle recumbent,1985 Bianchi Squadra

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Best of luck . Have a great time , and don't stress about it if you need a SAG .
Old 09-21-12, 11:36 AM
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I agree with Stapfam, the sag wagon is there if you need it. Go to the ride, ride as much as you enjoy. If you don't finish, you enjoyed what you rode, which is the whole point anyway.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 09-21-12, 02:27 PM
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by teacherlady

After listening to all your comments, and then wrote the ride director. She told me not to worry, and to feel free to use the sag as a backup, not just for emergencies. She even sent me a discount code so I could qualify for the early bird discount when I explained why I had waited so late to register. I'm thrilled and eager.

Very pleased to read this. I remember your posts about your prospective tour, and the catastrophic accident that caused you to postpone it. There aren't any ethical issues here, you're not taking advantage of anyone. Far from it, you sound like an admirable and courageous person. Have a great ride.
Old 09-21-12, 03:07 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hold on, just how old are you qcpmsame? You have been doing sags for centuries?Going to have to start new forum.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.