Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Bike light recommendation

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Bike light recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-12, 12:33 PM

Bikes: Kona Wheelhouse

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have mounted a flashing 0.6 Watt PB Blaze to my helmet, and put the NiteRider on the handlebar. Perhaps I should switch them, and put the flashing PB on the handlebar, and the solid NR on the helmet?

Originally Posted by 1nterceptor
Where is the light mounted? If it's on the bars tilt it downwards a bit
or you can mount it on your helmet. If it's on your helmet, I kinda turn
my head sideways and downwards when another rider is approaching.
Old 11-15-12, 12:41 PM
Dharma Dog

Bikes: Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have been using a Light & Motion Urban 300 last winter and so far this fall, and am quite happy with it. I like the form factor - no external battery, small package that mounts on 26mm or 31.8mm handlebar without a separate mount, so I can remove the light and there isn't an empty bracket there. If I use the light in the morning, I just plug it in at work to recharge for the trip home, but I normally run it at the 150-lumen setting, so the battery light is usually still green at the end of the 1-hour commute. I just plug in the micro-USB cable when I get home, so I don't have to take the light off the bike.

I typically run at the flashing setting at dusk, then flip it to a solid light when I can't read the bike computer due to darkness. It makes a nice casual light, but the price is a bit steep. I also worry about the rubber mount and the hook that it wraps around; doesn't look terribly robust. But you can buy spares from L&M.

Luis