Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

He's no fun, he fell right over! ;)

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

He's no fun, he fell right over! ;)

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-12, 11:06 AM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 371 Posts
Originally Posted by Louis
The more I see that video...it looks like your front wheel is slightly tacoed as you are straightening the bike and pushing uphill. I'm guessing it's merely camera angle/optics etc. So I called in the expert (my wife) to have a look. She sees the same thing. Of course, she's just as blind as I am.
That's just the effect you get with the wide angle lens on a GoPro. I've observed the same effect on some of my own videos.
BD is correct when he says photos or videos do not accurately portray the steepness of a hill. If you watch the trail off in the distance as he crosses the bridge, you get a bit better idea how steep that baby is.
I would agree with jdon that it looks rideable, at least on a hardtail. bit trickier on a dual suspension I think.
Old 12-12-12, 11:27 AM

Bikes: A slate grey mountain bike & a grey road bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ha! I've done that exact thing, right down to the wording. Those short, steep hills are tricky - if you know one is coming up, you can get adjust your speed & gearing and get right up it, but, if you come upon one unexpectedly, you get half way up and.......no dice.
Old 12-12-12, 11:28 AM

Bikes: 2015 Giant Roam 2 Hybrid

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by GeorgeBMac
I'm only replying because an ad kept appearing right over top of the video and I couldn't see it. So this was the easiest way to copy it!
Same here, not sure which browser you are using but in Firefox you can RIGHT click on a video and choose POP OUT and it takes it to a new tab full screen. The ads cover about 1/3 of the right side of all videos for me.
Old 12-12-12, 12:20 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Firefox plus Adblock equals no ads.
Old 12-12-12, 01:29 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
We have a hill in Friston Forest.only about 100 yards long and it is on a muddy trail. In winter you keep to the edge of the trail on the grass to get traction as on the muddy surface of the trail you lose grip too easily. Starts off gentle and gradually steepens till 10 yards from the top you are on a 30%er.

Most hit the hill hard from the bottom and run out of steam just as it starts to get steep. Used to tackle it at least once a month and took me two years before I climbed it. Still try it but I can only do it about 1 in 3 and only in the summer.

Problem is that running out of energy that I have now mastered and the slope that gradually increases. First sign of how steep is when the front wheel lifts. so shift weight and you lose traction. Then the front lifts and it is a constant juggle to keep both ends of the bike in contact with the bike. Obvious way is to sit in the saddle and twist the wrists downwards- or is it upwards- to keep weight over the front wheel. It works providing you remember to do it. Saw a video of a rider going up this hill and from the bike it looks flat.

Spike Milligan
Old 12-13-12, 08:48 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
  • If you push something hard enough, it will fall over — Fudd's First Law of Opposition.
  • Teslacle's Deviant to Fudd's Law: It goes in, it must come out.

Doesn't look like a motor operated pushover though.
Old 12-14-12, 09:55 AM

Bikes: all diamond frames

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by TomD77
So people here remember Firesign?
Don't crush that dwarf, hand me the pliers
Old 12-14-12, 10:05 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think its the GoPro wide angle lens, almost gives it a fish eye look. If we had trails like that where I live I'd get another MTB. looks like fun. no roots or rocks, nice soft leaves to land in. here, the trails are all on real mountains, and most are highly technical, some with real consequences if you fall or crash. sort of like skiing's "no fall zone". rocks, stumps, roots, cliffs, steeps. the kids here love it. see em all the time in arm slings and on crutches.
Old 12-14-12, 11:58 AM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Trails a smooth as this are an exception here, not the rule. I do enjoy some of the more technical trails, too, but it sure is nice to have a few where I can relax and just go with the flow.
Old 12-15-12, 10:34 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
Trails a smooth as this are an exception here, not the rule. I do enjoy some of the more technical trails, too, but it sure is nice to have a few where I can relax and just go with the flow.
you do have a point there. looks like you were hauling @$$ down the slope across the bridge. riding here can be like trials riding (as opposed to trail riding!) , as they say in river kayaking, just trying to survive.
Old 12-31-12, 09:17 PM
just keep riding

Turns out the hill is climbable after all. In fact, it isn't really all that hard when you hit the right line.

.be
Old 12-31-12, 10:15 PM
Jack of all trades

Bikes: Schwinn Peloton Ventana El Saltamontes Spec Stumpjumper Conversion Gravel

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks for the entertainment, BD! Laughing out loud at someone's misfortune always does it for me on NYE.
Old 01-01-13, 06:42 AM

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3238 Post(s)
Liked 2,086 Times in 1,181 Posts
Originally Posted by roccobike
Why did you go off to the left? there must be an obsticle on the trail that I can't see in the video cause I'm trying to figure out why the veer to the left. Before that, it looked like a fast ride on a really nice trail (not too many roots).
He forgot to pay his momentum bill.