Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

First time on my new trainer

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-12, 10:19 AM

Bikes: Kona Wheelhouse

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I just received my new cycleops fluid 2 trainer. Even though I really enjoy riding outside, I am becoming more committed that I wanted to have a fall back position in case the weather is so bad. I also find that on certain days, it is not an option to wait till run rise to go out and ride for an hour, since I would be too late for work.

Overall, I like it. I didn't have a fan (which is recommended as I see on posts related to trainers), so after 40 minute on it I have sweated gallons! I live in an apartment so noise level is an important factor. It was quiet on the smaller front cog, but for some reason the noise level got up on the higher front cog. I also noticed that it provided a considerably more resistance than biking outdoors on equivalent gears. Maybe I should fiddle with it to see if I can improve that.

I have a computer which is mounted on the front tire, so I couldn't tell the equivalent distance or speed I was doing, but I was done after 40 minutes. Not sure if I should invest in a cateye that is mounted on the rear wheel.

I also replaced the skewer on the rear wheel with one that was supplied with it. I wonder whether I can ride the bike outdoors with it, or whether I have to replace it with the original skewer each time I go out (although that sounds like too much of a hassle).

Anyone has this type of trainer? I would be interested to hear your experience. Cheers.
Old 12-16-12, 10:43 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the Cyclops Fluid 2 also and am new to it. For me, it was really quiet. I ride on the big cog and with road bike 700x23cc smooth tires. I've also ridden with a hybrid with not so smooth tires and that was loud. So my experience is the noise is related to the tire tread.

Anyone have input on computers for a trainer? I have a Garmin but obviously GPS does not work without movement. If I get a Cateye or similar it would need to mount on the rear wheel. Do all wirelesss Cateyes work on the rear wheel. To the OP, hope this is not a hijack. I am primarily interested in speed and distance.

I switched to the skewer provided with Cycleops. I would not have a problem keeping it in for intermittent use outdoors. Once spring hits, I will switch it back permanently.

I've read up a little about using a trainer tire and potentially wheel/cassette. My LBS made up a dedicated rear wheel, cassette and tire for $200 that they sell, but I decided that was more than I need. My bike (Trek 1.5) is not high end and my tire needs replacement anyway so I plan to ride the trainer over the winter and replace the tire in the spring. I will accept any wear and tear on the cassette and chain as normal riding wear and tear, but I can understand if you've got a higher end bike, why you might want to swap out the back wheel for use on the trainer.
Old 12-16-12, 10:47 AM

Bikes: Specialized Crux Elite X1, Specialized Roubaix SL4 Expert, Specialized Crux Disc

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Just FYI, if you want to make the spinning go by fast with a good workout, check out the DVD's at www.spinervals.com. My favorite is 28.0

2019 Specialized Crux Elite X1
2015 Specialized Roubaix SL4 Expert
My bike page: https://www.gwfweb.com/bicycles
Build a bike stand! https://www.gwfweb.com/bicycles/stands.html
Old 12-16-12, 11:00 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey bluedawg. Thanks for the reply. I have on my bike brand new set of bontrager 700X32 all weather, they are smooth so I think I am in good shape there. Not sure why the larger cog had a greater noise. Did you follow the instruction on the resistance? it indicates to turn the yellow handle so that the resistance drum touches the rear tire, then rotate 2.5 times. Maybe I should turn it less to have lesser resistance?

Replacing the skewer every time I go out would be a hassle I think. Maybe I will give the good folks at cycleops a call and ask about this. Cheers.

Originally Posted by bluedawg
I have the Cyclops Fluid 2 also and am new to it. For me, it was really quiet. I ride on the big cog and with road bike 700x23cc smooth tires. I've also ridden with a hybrid with not so smooth tires and that was loud. So my experience is the noise is related to the tire tread.

Anyone have input on computers for a trainer? I have a Garmin but obviously GPS does not work without movement. If I get a Cateye or similar it would need to mount on the rear wheel. Do all wirelesss Cateyes work on the rear wheel. To the OP, hope this is not a hijack. I am primarily interested in speed and distance.

I switched to the skewer provided with Cycleops. I would not have a problem keeping it in for intermittent use outdoors. Once spring hits, I will switch it back permanently.

I've read up a little about using a trainer tire and potentially wheel/cassette. My LBS made up a dedicated rear wheel, cassette and tire for $200 that they sell, but I decided that was more than I need. My bike (Trek 1.5) is not high end and my tire needs replacement anyway so I plan to ride the trainer over the winter and replace the tire in the spring. I will accept any wear and tear on the cassette and chain as normal riding wear and tear, but I can understand if you've got a higher end bike, why you might want to swap out the back wheel for use on the trainer.
Old 12-16-12, 11:02 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looks interesting Gary. The trainer came with a DVD but I haven't checked it out yet.

Originally Posted by gforeman
Just FYI, if you want to make the spinning go by fast with a good workout, check out the DVD's at www.spinervals.com. My favorite is 28.0
Old 12-16-12, 01:43 PM

Bikes: Trek Pilot 5.9

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not sure if I should invest in a cateye that is mounted on the rear wheel.
I recommend that you get a cycle computer with a rear wheel sensor. I had a Bontrager Node 1 computer with a front-wheel sensor when I bought my trainer (a Kurt Kinetic Road Machine). The Node 1 computer is a wireless computer using the ANT+ standard for wireless sports sensors. I then bought a Wahoo Fitness WFSC01 wireless bike speed and cadence sensor, which has both a rear wheel (speed) and crank arm (cadence) sensor. I would be lost without my sensor/computer setup. It allows me to precisely plan and monitor my riding sessions.

I wonder whether I can ride the bike outdoors with it, or whether I have to replace it with the original skewer each time I go out (although that sounds like too much of a hassle).
I change my skewers everytime I mount/dismount the bike on the trainer. It takes only five minutes and ensures I have the "right tool for the job".

Good luck with the trainer. I bought mine right around Christmas a year ago. Since then I've experienced a quantum leap in cycling fitness.
Old 12-16-12, 01:54 PM
Council of the Elders

Bikes: 1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bluedawg

Blue,
Just get the Garmin GSC10 unit. It runs off the rear wheel and gives cadence and speed when GPS is not in use.

Last edited by billydonn; 12-16-12 at 08:50 PM.
Old 12-16-12, 02:05 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
I would recommend a Garmin GSC10 speed/cadence sensor combined with an ANT+ USB stick. Then you can use a variety of training options from trainerroad, Peripedal that will make your workouts a little more tolerable.
Old 12-16-12, 02:14 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OK, so I don't have a GPS. What type of rear wheel cadence/speed computer would you folks suggest?

I can see that the Wahoo would also require a key, which will add to the overall cost. I am also not sure how easy it would be to use the iphone app. Thanks.
Old 12-16-12, 03:19 PM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Nine VHS SPinervals (if you don't mind VHS) - minimum bid $40 - they usually retail for about $25 each,

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trks...at=0&_from=R40
Old 12-16-12, 06:17 PM
con
Older I get, faster I was

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by gforeman
Your post got my interest up so I dug out the Spinerval DVD I have never used that came with my Cyclops trainer. It just has 4 work outs with coach Troy, but I was surprised how much I enjoyed it. I guess it was just something different. I really enjoyed the one leg part of the technique workout.

What is special, or what do you like about workout 28?

As for a different skewer, I just use a complete old/spare wheel I have with an old skewer. I just run my old worn out takeoff tires.
Old 12-16-12, 06:44 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1746 Post(s)
Liked 1,376 Times in 721 Posts
The skewer that comes with the trainer will work fine for riding out side. I do it, my son does it, and countless others I know and have worked with do it. After all, it is a QR skewer that is made of steel instead of aluminum.
The noise level going up with the big ring is due to increased load and rpm at the drum. I experience this as well. If you had a pair of rollers this would not happen, plus you would be quite entertained while using it!
Old 12-16-12, 06:46 PM

Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I put the heavy duty skewer that came with the trainer on when I start indoor workouts and ride it inside and outside. Once I begin racing in the spring I will put the light skewer back on the wheel. I also use Cateye Astrale 8 computers with rear sensors for cadence and mph on all my bikes and switch the head between bikes.
Old 12-16-12, 07:06 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the info folks. I am glad to know I won't have to change the skewer every time I go out! I will probably continue to use the rear wheel/tire that I use outside. I only do minimal riding (at most, 5 days a week of one hour/10 miles or so per day). I hope the combination of the new rear tire and my low level of exercise would not cause considerable wear on the tires. Cheers.
Old 12-16-12, 07:42 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey Jet. Is the wire on the Astrale long enough to run from the rear tire to the handlebar?

Originally Posted by Allegheny Jet
I put the heavy duty skewer that came with the trainer on when I start indoor workouts and ride it inside and outside. Once I begin racing in the spring I will put the light skewer back on the wheel. I also use Cateye Astrale 8 computers with rear sensors for cadence and mph on all my bikes and switch the head between bikes.
Old 12-16-12, 09:40 PM

Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yes. It has one wire and two pickups. I coil any extra wire around a cable lading to the bar.
Old 12-17-12, 10:16 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
^^ many thanks.
Old 12-17-12, 05:00 PM
Banned.

I contacted the guy on EBaywith the 9 Spinerval VHS tapes for sale for $40, and told him that I would give him $25 for the 9, to which he readily agreed. (I already had 2 of them, but . . . )

Personally, I find the Spinervals to give you a very structured, varied, intense and as non-boring as possible workout to which I can devote 20-30 minutes. It sure beats just sitting on the trainer turning the pedals.
Old 12-17-12, 05:18 PM

Bikes: Specialized Crux Elite X1, Specialized Roubaix SL4 Expert, Specialized Crux Disc

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've converted my DVD's to iPhone format, and when away from home, if I can find a spin bike, I'm set :-)

2019 Specialized Crux Elite X1
2015 Specialized Roubaix SL4 Expert
My bike page: https://www.gwfweb.com/bicycles
Build a bike stand! https://www.gwfweb.com/bicycles/stands.html
Old 12-17-12, 07:02 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gary and Fox, which of the spinnerval series do you have? There are a lot of series and each series has a lot of DVDs!
Old 12-17-12, 07:13 PM
Banned.

I have the old original series 1 (1-9), plus one made for "Clydesdales" which is a bit easier.

However, one can adjust any of the ones I have seen to your own situation. For example, Coach Troy (bless his dirty little or non-existent heart), uses a variety of techniques to vary the training session:

1. He varies the gears a lot, using the big and little chain ring, plus about 5 of the rings on the cogset. This makes much more of a difference then one might imagine.

2. Varies the intervals - there is a lot of interval training

3. Varies the cadence - cadences up to 125 or more at times

4. Varies standing and sitting (due to my hip and back, I do not do the standing).

5. Varies the length of the "easy pedaling" between intervals/activity.

and he mixes all those up together.

So, you have the option with any training session of fitting it to your own level of fitness - a smaller cog, or a slower cadence, etc.

Additionally you can vary the resistance of your trainer (at least I can). Mine has a switch on a cable that I mount in the "cockpit" area of the bicycle and varies at 9 different levels of resistance. I can adjust it at any time. My other trainer (I only use one at a time - one was for my wife - but she doesn't use it) has 3 manual levels adjustable at the rear axle.

The point is - you have someone in charge of your workout that gives you variety, challenges, AND rest periods (very important). And it is organized, not just "I will pedal fast at the commercials" or something like that.

There are other training dvd's - some speak highly of Carmichael Training Systems, some folks have a much more complex computerized system like a virtual reality thingie, power meters, etc.

Last edited by DnvrFox; 12-17-12 at 07:43 PM.
Old 12-17-12, 07:19 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
^^ great pointers Fox. I don't think I can change the resistance on my Fluid 2 trainer, but I can probably do much of the by shifting. I also should get the rear-mounted computer to check my cadence, just for the kick of it.
Old 12-17-12, 07:25 PM
Banned.

Originally Posted by TexLex100
^^ great pointers Fox. I don't think I can change the resistance on my Fluid 2 trainer, but I can probably do much of the by shifting. I also should get the rear-mounted computer to check my cadence, just for the kick of it.
You really need a cadence device. Coach Troy does not vary trainer resistance in the DVD's I have seen. I just do that myself depending on my desire that day. There is no need for any mileage tracking. Track hours instead. Remember, you are standing still, and the mileage will be highly dependent on gear ratios, cadence and the like. Mileage on a trainer is a silly measurement, IMHO, with no meaning.

Last edited by DnvrFox; 12-17-12 at 07:48 PM.
Old 12-17-12, 07:44 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I see. In this case I will probably go to the LBS over the weekend and have a cadence meter installed on the rear tire since I really don't trust my abilities in this department
Old 12-17-12, 07:47 PM
Banned.

It is not hard. I am really cheap and search the ads on Nashbar.com, performancebike.com, etc., for specials. If I can install one, anyone can - believe me. However, your LBS would greatly appreciate the $$ and business.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.