Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Want to know who/what you are?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Want to know who/what you are?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-13, 06:44 PM

Bikes: 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by qcpmsame
Did someone say PIE? have I told you that I really like PIE, lately? I really like PIE, PIE is great.

Bill
Ahhh...some of us know just who we are and what we like. We are well adjusted 50+ cyclists that know about Pie and that we like it. what more is there to know?
Old 01-06-13, 06:54 PM

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Mobile 155
Ahhh...some of us know just who we are and what we like. We are well adjusted 50+ cyclists that know about Pie and that we like it. what more is there to know?
None of this is new. The Stoics were major-league into this sort of thing.

Might I quote Cicero?
Let Epicurus mock us as much as he likes...it remains no less true that nothing is more perfect than pie, which is an animate being, endowed with awareness, intelligence and reason.

Old 01-06-13, 09:16 PM

Bikes: Kvale, Peugeot, Cervelo, Bridgestone

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dog:Squirrel = 220: Pie
Old 01-07-13, 05:04 AM

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
Great. Another hijacking by Team Pie.
Old 01-07-13, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by jmccain
Dog:Squirrel = 220: Pie
wut

If you really want to look at this general topic from a completely different perspective, check out the article below. It's not on Fox News. Hart is not a Fox News contributor. Heck, I don't even know if he takes much interest in politics. The site is Fox News free. Not a bit of Fox News anywhere. I bet the editors don't even watch Fox News.

https://www.firstthings.com/article/2...tic-gnosticism...Fox News

Old 01-07-13, 06:50 AM
Old Fart In Training

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
The true essence of humankind is kindness.
There are other qualities which come from education or knowledge.
But it is essential if one wishes to be a genuine human being
and impart satisfying meaning to one's existence one must have a good heart.

The 14th Dalai Lama-

IMO these talking faces are a waste of karma. We can learn all we need if we just stop and be nice.
Knowledge gained, mankind evolving,,pfff.t If you want to evolve do something nice for someone you dont even know.

The thread title,,well This may not be who or what I am but It's who or what I try to be XD

Last edited by osco53; 01-07-13 at 06:58 AM.
Old 01-07-13, 07:06 AM

Bikes: Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
"My momma always said, 'Life was like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get.'"
--Forrest Gump
Old 01-07-13, 07:09 AM

Bikes: Specialized Expedition Sport

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bikey Mikey
"My momma always said, 'Life was like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get.'"
--Forrest Gump
My mother knew. When I was a child she ran the candy counter at J. J. Newberry (a five and dime store) and, in those days, the "swirl" on the top of chocolates revealed what was inside. She could read those swirls like I could read a comic book.
Old 01-07-13, 09:12 AM
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
Political? I'm really curious. How can that be construed to be even remotely political?
Your right brain is conservative, your left brain is liberal. Or . . . maybe not.

Regarding "My Stroke of Insight," while it's true that I drive a (Honda) Insight . . . I do not stroke it!

Rick / OCRR
Old 01-07-13, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by Dudelsack
Not sure what you find weird about my comments. Philosophy? Reality? Perception? Or just the fact that I read books?
Old 01-07-13, 09:28 AM

Not sure what you find weird about my comments. Philosophy? Reality? Perception? Or just the fact that I read books?
It's a scene from "Altered States", based loosely on the experiences of "Don Miguel Ruiz, Carlos Castaneda, et. al.". You're trying to insult me because I might not agree with you. Outta here.

Old 01-07-13, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by Dudelsack
It's a scene from "Altered States", based loosely on the experiences of "Don Miguel Ruiz, Carlos Castaneda, et. al.". You're trying to insult me because I might not agree with you. Outta here.
thank you for the explanation

FWIW....."Altered States is a 1980 American science fiction-horror film adaptation of a novel by the same name by playwright and screenwriter Paddy Chayefsky. It was the only novel that Chayefsky ever wrote, as well as his final film. Both the novel and the film are based on John C. Lilly's sensory deprivation research conducted in isolation tanks under the influence of psychoactive drugs like ketamine and LSD"

Ruiz' first book, The four Agreements" wasn't published until 1997. As far as I can tell, Altered State (the movie) has nothing to do with Castaneda or Ruiz.

Last edited by bruce19; 01-07-13 at 01:45 PM.
Old 01-07-13, 04:44 PM

Bikes: 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
Great. Another hijacking by Team Pie.

Ok you asked our opinion so here it is. But I think learning when it is time for pie is a valid discussion for who and what we are.

I think what you missed was most of us know exactly who we are and what we believe and hardly need a friend of Al Gore who has a carbon foot print the size of Nabraska. Then he writes a book about saving the earth because of global warming. (Long ago those of us that know who and what we are stopped listening to people that tell us to do as they say not as they do.) Opra who became a great thinker by acting in the Color Purple and having a talk show and Bill Clinton who taught us how store cigars and how to treat an intern. A woman who flies in Jets from the north to south pole, one of the dirtiests ways to travel with those self same people and then has the unmitigated temerity to suggest that through a stroke she realized the global warming debate is over and now she can tell us how to treat the earth and discover who we are. The fact that she traveled by fuel guzzeling jet shows there is a disconect between what she says and what she does. So she must not even believe what she says. We ride bikes at least so every one of us is nicer to the earth than she will ever be. She has every right to her opinion and every right to write a book. But to many of us that had discovered our place in the universe years ago it is like being lectured to by a junior high student who just discoverd that mankind tends to be judgemental. "DUH" I say "woman you should have studied history a bit more when in school" and you wouldn't have had to have a near death experience to learn what every average person knows from the second day of a new job.

Sorry I didn't find it interesting I found it drivel like we used to hear at late night coffee shop discussions in the University district next to the University of Washington. There are some subjects that are political by nature, anything posted in the Huffington Blog is Political. Anything associated with Al Gore and Bill Clinton is political.

Now tell me the truth, isn't Pie far more interesting than the musings of liberal tree hugger that saw that light because of a stroke?

Is that closer to the response you were looking for?

Last edited by Mobile 155; 01-07-13 at 04:51 PM.
Old 01-07-13, 06:00 PM

I wasn't looking for any particular response. But if people want to talk about "pie".... start another pie thread. What I thought was fascinating about the experience of the person in the video was the fact that the stroke happened to a person who was trained in the field of brain function and her reporting of it. I can't think of anyone else so uniquely qualified having had the experience. The fact that her perception was consistent with both quantum physics and philosophic "understandings" of existence was equally compelling to me. Perhaps others want to spin it with their own agenda but that wasn't my intent.
Old 01-07-13, 06:30 PM

Bikes: '07 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '88 Trek 400T, '88 Diamondback Ascent EX, '56 Raleigh Superbe, '73/60 Raleigh Sports

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Ok you asked our opinion so here it is. But I think learning when it is time for pie is a valid discussion for who and what we are.

I think what you missed was most of us know exactly who we are and what we believe and hardly need a friend of Al Gore who has a carbon foot print the size of Nabraska. Then he writes a book about saving the earth because of global warming. (Long ago those of us that know who and what we are stopped listening to people that tell us to do as they say not as they do.) Opra who became a great thinker by acting in the Color Purple and having a talk show and Bill Clinton who taught us how store cigars and how to treat an intern. A woman who flies in Jets from the north to south pole, one of the dirtiests ways to travel with those self same people and then has the unmitigated temerity to suggest that through a stroke she realized the global warming debate is over and now she can tell us how to treat the earth and discover who we are. The fact that she traveled by fuel guzzeling jet shows there is a disconect between what she says and what she does. So she must not even believe what she says. We ride bikes at least so every one of us is nicer to the earth than she will ever be. She has every right to her opinion and every right to write a book. But to many of us that had discovered our place in the universe years ago it is like being lectured to by a junior high student who just discoverd that mankind tends to be judgemental. "DUH" I say "woman you should have studied history a bit more when in school" and you wouldn't have had to have a near death experience to learn what every average person knows from the second day of a new job.

Sorry I didn't find it interesting I found it drivel like we used to hear at late night coffee shop discussions in the University district next to the University of Washington. There are some subjects that are political by nature, anything posted in the Huffington Blog is Political. Anything associated with Al Gore and Bill Clinton is political.

Now tell me the truth, isn't Pie far more interesting than the musings of liberal tree hugger that saw that light because of a stroke?

Well said Mobile155. After 67 years I pretty know who I am (and I like pie).
Old 01-07-13, 08:43 PM

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,063 Times in 1,081 Posts
I wasn't looking for any particular response. But if people want to talk about "pie".... start another pie thread. What I thought was fascinating about the experience of the person in the video was the fact that the stroke happened to a person who was trained in the field of brain function and her reporting of it. I can't think of anyone else so uniquely qualified having had the experience. The fact that her perception was consistent with both quantum physics and philosophic "understandings" of existence was equally compelling to me. Perhaps others want to spin it with their own agenda but that wasn't my intent.
I saw the TED talk a while ago, and thought it was terrific. Scientist has a stroke, discovers feelings, rocks her world. Many scientists and engineers take a lifetime to get there, many never do. Only took me 50 years, raising kids, and getting knocked around by life before discovering something other than bits and bytes. Better late than never.
Old 01-07-13, 09:10 PM

Given that neurobiologists are among the most inveterate of philosophical materialists (the mind is only a secretion of the brain, we are nothing but meat and wetware, les nerfs, c'est tout, and on and on), I suppose we should all be thrilled that one of them has discovered something called transcendence. Good for her. It's a shame that it took a stroke, the destruction of Betz cells, and remodeling of neural circuitry and alteration of neurochemical receptor sensitivity to have one of them to come to their senses.

Old 01-08-13, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by El Segundo
Well said Mobile155. After 67 years I pretty know who I am (and I like pie).
I think we are more than we know. It's not that we aren't who who we think we are in this reality it's more like there's another reality that we don't easily perceive. What I find fascinating is that science and (for lack of a better term) philosophic belief are climbing the mountain from two different sides and starting to see that they are reaching the same peak.