Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Should I Go Back to My Motorcycle? (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/871536-should-i-go-back-my-motorcycle.html)

fietsbob 02-07-13 12:23 AM

Should have bought the side car Kit for my 68 R-60 beemer ..

xjken99 02-07-13 01:10 AM

I bought a motorcycle two years before I bought my first car and owned four bikes in the span of about eight years. I loved riding and I had my fair share of close calls but, I never had to lay a bike down. Then one day I decide that I had enough and sold the bike. Fast forward 30 years and my son decides he want a crotch rocket, knowing that they are dangerous I tried to talk him out of it to no avail. I have been bitten by the bug a few times over the years but, I never pulled the trigger. Since I do all my bicycle riding on paved paths I feel a lot safer, but you never know.

Shamrock 02-07-13 01:40 AM

I was tee boned by a car ,driver never saw the stop sign.Out of work 9 months.Ouch!Try a dirt bike no cars or trucks.Have not been on a motorcycle in years,last ride was a dirt bike. I must admit I dream once in awhile about riding.

stapfam 02-07-13 01:47 AM

Never been into Motorbikes so can't really comment on going back to one. My only experience was when in the Marines over 40 years ago and it was just a cheap form of transport. Wasn't long before I got a car with a heater and plenty of weatherproofing and haven't looked back since.

I am now of an age where I have come to my senses and if on the road with plenty of fast traffic round me- I want protection and I will not get that from leathers and a big helmet.

And haven't read it but on the BBC news this morning.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-21350883

Edit
Have read it and confirms that I will not be getting a Motorbike- Don't have the money- the balls or enough youth.

bruce19 02-07-13 03:43 AM

My "problem" with motorcycling is that the time I put into motorcycling is time lost from cycling. OTOH it is a nice break from cycling and still keeps me on 2-wheels. I also have a great group of riding buddies locally and on-line. Locally we do 3-5 day camping rides and spend our time in New England and around the Blue Ridge. Once a year our on-line Ducati club gets together at Deal's Gap. Last year after that rally I went down to Charleston, SC to see a HS buddy from growing up in NJ. Did a 1,000 mi. day in 15 hrs to get home. As a former MSF Instructor I feel as safe on the Ducati as I do cycling....especially when you consider the "protective" quality of cycling kit. :)

GeorgeBMac 02-07-13 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by stapfam (Post 15246271)
Never been into Motorbikes so can't really comment on going back to one. My only experience was when in the Marines over 40 years ago and it was just a cheap form of transport. Wasn't long before I got a car with a heater and plenty of weatherproofing and haven't looked back since.

I am now of an age where I have come to my senses and if on the road with plenty of fast traffic round me- I want protection and I will not get that from leathers and a big helmet.

And haven't read it but on the BBC news this morning.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-21350883

Edit
Have read it and confirms that I will not be getting a Motorbike- Don't have the money- the balls or enough youth.

That's a good article: I was going to post the link but saw that you got there first.

My first thought on it was that it pertains both to motorcyclists as well as bicyclists. But, after thinking it through, I am not so sure...

Most older motorcyclists that I know are over weight and badly out-of-shape. The guy up the street is an avid motorcyclist but he's got to weigh close to 400 pounds. He can't climb steps and I have no idea how he gets his leg over that big hog. If he ever hits anything, he's just going to go splat -- because he won't be able to do anything else.

Conversely, I suspect older bicyclists are at the higher end of the fitness curve and have looser, stronger bodies and possibly better reaction times. So, I think they be better able to deal with the consequences of dropping a bike than my 400 pound neighbor...

con 02-07-13 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by GeorgeBMac (Post 15246422)
Most older motorcyclists that I know are over weight and badly out-of-shape. The guy up the street is an avid motorcyclist but he's got to weigh close to 400 pounds. He can't climb steps and I have no idea how he gets his leg over that big hog. If he ever hits anything, he's just going to go splat -- because he won't be able to do anything else.

Conversely, I suspect older bicyclists are at the higher end of the fitness curve and have looser, stronger bodies and possibly better reaction times. So, I think they be better able to deal with the consequences of dropping a bike than my 400 pound neighbor...

I ride with two different groups, one motorcycles and one bicycles. The motorcycle group spends more time planning what type of booze to bring than anything else and young and old they are in very poor shape. The bicycle group is in great shape, young and old, and drinks in moderation. Two wheels, not much else in common.

GeorgeBMac 02-07-13 06:28 AM

For anybody trying to resist getting a motorcycle: you gotta watch "On Any Sunday" by Bruce Brown circa 1972. It will end any and all doubts you might have about riding one.

Trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoEKHkvJIkQ

Part 9 -- The End:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caY4OSsNBeY

qcpmsame 02-07-13 07:22 AM

+1 for "On Any Sunday", for a dirt bike rider/racer it is/was the be all and end all movie. I have 3 different releases, in DVD and VHS formats and will gladly loan one or more of them to anyone here if you want. It is a truly good, down to earth production with many of the important people to Dirt Bike racing in this country. I saw it first in 1972 and have seen it in theaters many times since, I watch it regularly at home. I can recite most of the dialogue from memory now. Think "Breaking Away" as a documentary with featured actors.

Bill

FMB42 02-07-13 07:25 AM

Rode motorcycles regularly for almost 20 years. Owned and operated many different bikes including trail, MX, Enduro, and "high performance" street bikes. Owned more than 25 motorcycles during this time (5 or so were basket cases that I never finished). Also was a professional motorcycle mechanic for ~ 5 years (moved on to auto mechanics). Rode some of the fasted and most powerful bikes on the planet of the day (Yam 85ish FJ 1100, Honda CR 480, etc). Practically lived and breathed motorcycles for about 12-15 years.

Lost 1 acquaintance and 1 fellow racer (MX) and had 1 friend partially and permanently paralyzed and another who lost his lower leg to motorcycle accidents.

Stopped riding about 20 years ago due to having a wife and 2 kids. Sold my last bike in ~ 1991. Children grew up and moved out about 8 years ago.

I'm now "fixing up" a sad-sack '94 883 Sportster as a hobby. Not sure if I'll ever ride it tho (it does run).

The biggest problem with me and riding is that I don't bounce anymore, I break (I'm in my mid '50s). I also have a "not so great" knee and foot (due to riding and racing motorcycles).

I had my day. It was a blast. But now it's someone else's turn...

krobinson103 02-07-13 07:45 AM

I sometimes wonder though. Taken a few spills in leather with armor underneath. Unscathed bar bruising and a cracjed rib. Come off a bicycle at 30mph in skin tight clothes and a 'helmet' I'd bet its far worse . I reguraly hit 30mph on my bike down hill and 20mph plus on the flat. A fall at that speed has got to hurt.

Gerryattrick 02-07-13 10:01 AM

A wonderful film that almost makes me want to get on a motorbike again, but then I remember the reality of wet, cold winter mornings in Merthyr Tydfil in the 60s, where there were coal tips rather than sand dunes. Plus I'm not so good at bouncing these days.

There are a lot of elderly weekend motorbike warriors around here who only seem to get out on Sundays and who usually have very expensive bikes and leathers about three sizes too small for them - but they do seem a good bunch who enjoy what they're doing.

Looigi 02-07-13 10:20 AM

Been riding motorcycles for nearly 40 years now, off-road, on-road, and raced. Agree there is risk and danger involved. There are a lot of variables, but IMO, I feel it's less hazardous than cycling on the roads around here.

fietsbob 02-07-13 10:22 AM

Motor paced track cycling combines the 2.
Paved Mag, '012, winter edition, has a photo article on the pacer motor-bikes ,
Shows, several Dernys , and Big Triumph Twin.
and on track shot of 2 big motors with their stayer in the wind shadow.

NOS88 02-07-13 10:22 AM

I think there is a simple formula that keeps me from another motorcycle.

M=motorcycle B=bicycle T=time

M=BT<MT

So, I'm sticking with the bicycle.

rck 02-07-13 10:32 AM

A few years ago I took the motorcycle safety course and bought myself a Rebel 250. It was a bucket list sort of thing. Last year I put 2100 miles on my bicycles and 100 miles on the m-cycle and I did that only to burn off the year old gas before putting it away for the winter. I don't regret having bought it and were circumstances different I might keep it, however, I've a friend who wants to buy it to use in going to his sumertime job. So I'll probably sell it to him, take the money and buy some other impulse.:o

tspeters 02-07-13 11:01 AM

I Was a motorcyclist for more than 12 yrs. I owned cruisers and sport touring bikes. As the years went on the joy was diminishing as I had to be more and more defensive in my riding. I believe cell phones in particular were the start of the downfall for distracted drivers. One day while commuting to work on a 3 lane highway I noticed the car in front of me and cars on both sides were all on their cell phones. That was scary. I took Motorcycle safety coures, advanced riding courses and did track days. I feel that contributed to very few close calls and no accidents. Just because someone can operate a motorcycle doesn't mean they should. Not everyone has the skills to be a proficient motorcyclist. IMO a large segment of riders lack situational awareness. Probably the greatest skill for lowering risk and increasing survival. You should never be surprised by a left hook at intersections, you should always be looking to position yourself for an escape route, Leave your bike in gear at stops and watch the rear mirrors in case the guy behind doesn't stop. It just wasn't fun anymore now I ride only bicycles.

GeorgeBMac 02-07-13 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by tspeters (Post 15247432)
I Was a motorcyclist for more than 12 yrs. I owned cruisers and sport touring bikes. As the years went on the joy was diminishing as I had to be more and more defensive in my riding. I believe cell phones in particular were the start of the downfall for distracted drivers. One day while commuting to work on a 3 lane highway I noticed the car in front of me and cars on both sides were all on their cell phones. That was scary. I took Motorcycle safety coures, advanced riding courses and did track days. I feel that contributed to very few close calls and no accidents. Just because someone can operate a motorcycle doesn't mean they should. Not everyone has the skills to be a proficient motorcyclist. IMO a large segment of riders lack situational awareness. Probably the greatest skill for lowering risk and increasing survival. You should never be surprised by a left hook at intersections, you should always be looking to position yourself for an escape route, Leave your bike in gear at stops and watch the rear mirrors in case the guy behind doesn't stop. It just wasn't fun anymore now ride only bicycles .

+1

I learned something very valuable riding a motorcycle: YOU have control over the degree of risk.

I.e., People like to say: "That sport is dangerous". And, while it is true that some sports include a lot of inherent danger, it is equally true that you have control whether to increase the danger or decrease it.

One of the ways I decreased the danger while on a motorcycle was to always look for the eyes of the driver in the car at the intersection. If I couldn't see his eyes, I was always prepared to take evasive action.

And, that philosophy carried over into downhill skiing. It always amazed me that skiiers would congregate at the top of the hill and then go down in a big, dangerous mass. I figured: "If I didn't run into anything and nothing ran into me (and I didn't fall down) -- I would probably go home with all my pieces intact and functioning. So, I waited for the pack to depart and went down the hill solo...
... MUCH safer...

I guess it comes down to: It's easy to blame the danger on the sport. It takes effort to take responsibility and try to manage and control the danger.

smoore 02-07-13 01:42 PM

Thanks guys for your input. FYI: I have taken the MSF course and it was an eye opener. I even think it made me a better driver.

I guess we've covered all the pros and cons in this thread and to be honest, factually it seems like the better option is to stay pedaling. However, the darned internet, various web sites, videos, forums, etc. keep dragging me in. Certainly time is an issue. When I used to ride my motorcycle I was often thinking "I ought to be riding my bike". When I was on my bike I was thinking how much I loved my motorcycle. But maybe it should come down to risk vs return and the limited time I have left with my wife and kids?

Interestingly, when I mention my bicycle riding to friends, LOTS of them tell me they would never ride bikes on the street..."too dangerous". Then I have other friends who tell me the same thing about motorcycles..."too dangerous". Both groups send me news articles of people killed riding. Sheesh.

I'll be glad when I grow up and these decisions are easier to make. :)

FMB42 02-07-13 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by smoore (Post 15248103)
Thanks guys for your input. FYI: I have taken the MSF course and it was an eye opener.

My wife, who is ...well... a handful of years younger than my 50+ years, came home from work one day last year and said "my (female) co-worker is going to sign-up for the next MSF course and I'm going to take the class with her."

Believe it or not (our relatives don't), I had absolutely nothing to do with her making this decision. Zero, none, nada.

Anyway, I (more than a bit surprised) told her that she should "go for it" and that I felt that everyone should ride a motorcycle at least once in their lives (she had no previous MC riding experience at all). Well, she passed the class and had a lot of fun doing it (she rode/owned a horse as a teenager).

Is she going to buy and/or ride a MC? She says "no" at this point (but who knows)...

Looigi 02-07-13 04:51 PM

Hmmmm. FWIW I just came across this: [h=1]"Older (motor)bikers three times as likely to be seriously injured in crashes as younger peers" [/h] http://group.bmj.com/group/media/lat...-younger-peers

osco53 02-07-13 06:19 PM

Yeah at 54 I am not as fast, not as quick in the head. I rely more on wisdom and Intuition,,I use that third eye alot more.
Plus I think my Guardian angle that watched over me as a Kid On a Crotch Rocket Is still with me..

I only get two to three thousand miles a year on my Roadster so I'm not the most experienced rider out there and I will never take a passenger with me.
So Far so good, no close calls and I choose when and where I ride.
I feel more likely to get killed on my bicycle than my Motorcycle..Riding with traffic is safer on the 75 H.P. motorcycle.
the lack of power on the bicycle scares me a bit...

I still ride, not the least bit scared of dying,,am scared of getting crippled up bad tho....

http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=298063http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=298064http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=298065http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=298066

So,,, OP,,your original ?,,,should you get back in the Saddle ?

Your gonna die anyway and you will never meet me in a nursing home So, GO RIDE !

GeorgeBMac 02-07-13 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by smoore (Post 15248103)
Thanks guys for your input. FYI: ....

I'll be glad when I grow up and these decisions are easier to make. :)

Best of luck to you!
... Enjoy and Be Safe!

Mariner Fan 02-07-13 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by bruce19 (Post 15246324)
My "problem" with motorcycling is that the time I put into motorcycling is time lost from cycling. OTOH it is a nice break from cycling and still keeps me on 2-wheels. I also have a great group of riding buddies locally and on-line. Locally we do 3-5 day camping rides and spend our time in New England and around the Blue Ridge. Once a year our on-line Ducati club gets together at Deal's Gap. Last year after that rally I went down to Charleston, SC to see a HS buddy from growing up in NJ. Did a 1,000 mi. day in 15 hrs to get home. As a former MSF Instructor I feel as safe on the Ducati as I do cycling....especially when you consider the "protective" quality of cycling kit. :)

I agree! This year I am spending much more time on my bicycle! :)