Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Should I Go Back to My Motorcycle? (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/871536-should-i-go-back-my-motorcycle.html)

Artkansas 02-08-13 12:33 AM

I still have my motorcycle license. However, a couple of years back, my step-brother was run over by a school bus that left-hooked him while he was riding his motorcycle, and as I get older, I find that my body demands more exercise and the bicycle is the best way to satisfy that and have 2 wheel fun.

I do admit though, the Honda CB1100F and the CB500F have me drooling.

Big Lebowski 02-08-13 02:33 AM

Originally Posted by smoore (Post 15244990)
The primary reason that pushed be over the edge was three friends who were in substantial crashes in one month...none of them their fault. One guy had a deer run into him, another guy was rear ended at a stop light and the third guy had a girl on a cell phone turn left into him. He lost his arm. So, that's why I gave it up and I thought my interest had sufficiatly waned as well.

Those are 3 bad-luck and atypical incidents for motorcycle accidents, especially to happen so close to each other. As a regular motorcycle rider, there is no doubt in my mind that the miles I put on my Harley is much safer than the miles on my bicycle.

smoore 02-08-13 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by Looigi (Post 15248770)
Hmmmm. FWIW I just came across this: [h=1]"Older (motor)bikers three times as likely to be seriously injured in crashes as younger peers" [/h] http://group.bmj.com/group/media/lat...-younger-peers

Thanks, that was interesting and daunting.

Biker395 02-08-13 08:43 AM

Oy. I must say ... you guys are making me re-think my post-cycling plans.

I've always said that when I can't pedal up those hills anymore, I'll get a motorcycle. My plan was to get a smallish touring bike and trailer it up to the mountains, have my fun, then trailer it back.

Not such a good idea, I guess.

On the other hand, in some respects, risk taking makes more sense with your 50+. I mean ... how long have I got left, anyway? I figure if I were to ever take up smoking or other dangerous habits, now is the time. :D

BR46 02-08-13 09:17 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I would say yes..I love riding
In the dirt with my son, or racing with my son or riding with my wife. I love to ride
http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=298173http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=298174

sarals 02-08-13 09:29 AM

Oh, look, a lady is posting! :)

I've ridden motorcycles since I was 14. I've always owned one since 1971. I've never been seriously hurt riding one, but lately things have gotten so much more aggressive out there on the roads. Because of that, I sold my Suzuki SV650 and I am in the process of rebuilding (not restoring) my 1966 Honda CB77 Superhawk. I've had it since 1971 (it was the first motorcycle I ever owned, and my first fit of independence). It won't be a daily rider, but an old friend I enjoy from time to time. My bicycles are my daily riders!

ericm979 02-08-13 09:32 AM

I've had some 30 odd motorcycles since I started riding at age 17. I still love riding them. I have had no crashes on the street, and only one not so serious injury while riding off road (observed trials, broken wrist). OTOH, I have had two serious bicycle crashes in the 15-some years I have been riding seriously and racing, both in group rides, not in races. Based on my experience if I was worried about safety I'd quit cycling, not motorcycling. Not to mention 50+ mph descents while wearing nothing but a small piece of styrofoam and 4 ounces of spandex.

My problem is having enough time and energy for both. For a while I tried doing trials practice on my rest days from cycling but that's not really a rest. The whole reason I got back into cycling was that my fitness had deteriorated to where it was affecting my scores in trials competitions. The last few years my motorcycling has been just commuting to work, some motoref work for bike races, and a few fun rides. But lots of cycling- 9000 miles and a million feet of climbing in my 2012 season.

I think if you want to ride motorcycles and you're a reasonably cautious person, do it. Unlike say smoking, where you can't control the additional health risk, with motorcycling you can. Paying attention to what's around you and not riding like a knob greatly reduces your chances of injury. The activities are complementary- my motorcycle experience has helped me avoid crashes in bike races and group rides since I don't target fixate as much as most people, and have more experience making quick decisions at speed.

tspeters 02-08-13 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by Biker395 (Post 15250768)
Oy. I must say ... you guys are making me re-think my post-cycling plans.

I've always said that when I can't pedal up those hills anymore, I'll get a motorcycle. My plan was to get a smallish touring bike and trailer it up to the mountains, have my fun, then trailer it back.

Not such a good idea, I guess.

On the other hand, in some respects, risk taking makes more sense with your 50+. I mean ... how long have I got left, anyway? I figure if I were to ever take up smoking or other dangerous habits, now is the time. :D

If you are passionate about motorcycles don't let anyone else's opinion deter you. I still love it but the risk / reward for me was tilting too much away from pleasure. Everyone's level of acceptable risk is different. Just make what you consider to be your best informed decision about risk. With a young family to support I chose to quit motorcycles. I now fulfill my need for two wheel freedom and speed with cycling. If nothing else it is healthier, and I figure I've eliminated a good chunk of risk. At least on a bicycle I'm not riding between multiple cagers on cell phones at 50mph. If I am exposed to left hook situations chances are I won't be going 40 mph when I need to stop or avoid it. You get the idea.

k7baixo 02-08-13 02:22 PM

My last bike was a KTM 950 that I used to ride .....

... on roads like this:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...6/BatoRoad.jpg

.....where we'd stay at places like this:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...Batohotel2.jpg

....but, alas, I realized I'm too immature to ride in a reasonable and responsible manner. Too many instances of this:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2..._original2.jpg

....lead to too many of these:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...DSC03485-1.jpg

....so I gave it up.

TiHabanero 02-08-13 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by bruce19 (Post 15245358)
Ah, a fellow Italophile. I will always have a Ducati but I have been jonesin' for a MG LeMans...the original of course. Some of my moto buds are into older bikes and I seriously thought about trying to find a BMW R100S like the one I once had. But, I can't get that LeMans out of my head. :)

some thread drift here...The LeMans will hand nice in the twisties, but disappoint in the power, only because you are accustomed to the instant on of the Duc. The best all around do it all sweetness at all times bike I ever experienced was the Duc Monster 750. Just a great sport/tour/commuter bike. Really a fantastic machine.
I will say the Moto Guzzi is a completely different experience, one that I immediately took to and sold off my sport bike to make permanent! Haven't regretted it at all.
If you have room for two Italian sweethearts, the LeMans would make a great lover. Recommend it only if you do have mechanical/electrical abilities since the dealer network is very thin.

qcpmsame 02-08-13 05:03 PM

BR46,
I got back into MX after several years layoff due to job hours and a paralyzed right leg from a fall at work to be with my son. He was 12 at the time and we raced together and wrenched at night as a team for 10 years. It was the best time I spent in the entire decade, even with the health problems I had. Great pics of your son and you riding, time with a child is the single best investment you can make. I still have a YZ 426FP in the garage with all the goodies on it and my riding gear in a wheelie bag. Need to consider selling it since the doctor said that racing MX and Hare Scrambles is a no-no. I dropped my desert racing AMA license and Desert club membership last year (RUTS MC.)

Bill

con 02-08-13 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by qcpmsame (Post 15252613)
BR46,
I got back into MX after several years layoff due to job hours and a paralyzed right leg from a fall at work to be with my son. He was 12 at the time and we raced together and wrenched at night as a team for 10 years. It was the best time I spent in the entire decade, even with the health problems I had. Great pics of your son and you riding, time with a child is the single best investment you can make. I still have a YZ 426FP in the garage with all the goodies on it and my riding gear in a wheelie bag. Need to consider selling it since the doctor said that racing MX and Hare Scrambles is a no-no. I dropped my desert racing AMA license and Desert club membership last year (RUTS MC.)

Bill

Sounds like you and your son had some great years together.

qcpmsame 02-08-13 05:13 PM

Con,
It was great being with him at the tracks on the weekends and at night in the garage wrenching when he was in high school. We made a few road trips to Houston to race and went to the local tracks pretty much every weekend. I enjoyed not being alienated from or distant with my son as a teenager. We are still very close now that he is out on his own and is now 25. Worth the time to be a old age teenager again and race bikes for a while like I did in the 70's and 80's.

Bill

bruce19 02-08-13 05:17 PM

My son is a service mgr. at a Yamaha/Suzuki dealership. He raced until some idiot stole his race bike. He's the best rider I've ever known but at 30 a bit too old to start over. Especially with a one week old daughter. This is him on his R6 (now sold). Thankfully he's decided that he can't control the actions of other people and has stopped doing this...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VE3gQEPZ1Gg

Mort Canard 02-08-13 09:31 PM

After decades I still ride both motorcycle and bicycle. I have had close calls on both but on average I feel a bit safer on the motorcycle mostly because I can control the speed differential between me and the other traffic on the road. At the twist of a wrist I can accelerate fiercely past most cars and have escaped trouble on occasion that way. On a bicycle I am always a moving obstacle to the folks in cars.

Each type of riding takes a bit different set of reflexes and awareness but there are also many commonalities. Practice at emergency braking on a motorbike is a must.

bruce19 02-09-13 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by Mort Canard (Post 15253505)
After decades I still ride both motorcycle and bicycle. I have had close calls on both but on average I feel a bit safer on the motorcycle mostly because I can control the speed differential between me and the other traffic on the road. At the twist of a wrist I can accelerate fiercely past most cars and have escaped trouble on occasion that way. On a bicycle I am always a moving obstacle to the folks in cars.

Each type of riding takes a bit different set of reflexes and awareness but there are also many commonalities. Practice at emergency braking on a motorbike is a must.

This is also my take on things. I've been riding motorcycles since 1976 and cycling since around 1982. Still doing both. I definitely feel safer on the motorcycle for the reasons above. And the gear of course.

Looigi 02-09-13 09:05 AM

IMO, motorists generally respect motorcycles and treat them just like other motor vehicles, assuming they see them... Cyclists, on the other hand, they sometimes don't respect, and more often than not don't know how to drive around them, either showing excessive deference or complete contempt.

smoore 02-09-13 09:46 PM

....so I gave it up.

K7baixo...Yikes. My wife would insist I give up riding if I ended up with that puppy. Glad you lived to tell about it.

bruce19 02-10-13 02:08 AM

Originally Posted by smoore (Post 15256331)

....so I gave it up.

K7baixo...Yikes. My wife would insist I give up riding if I ended up with that puppy. Glad you lived to tell about it.

.....?....

smoore 02-10-13 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by bruce19 (Post 15256686)
.....?....

Post 58

gcottay 02-10-13 11:31 AM

I still feel safe riding a motorcycle and have had no close calls but have given up ownership in the interests of more hours and miles for the bike. The seat of a motorcycle is just to close to the couch for me. If I had more discipline in keeping the body active and moving the call would be different.

k7baixo 02-10-13 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by smoore (Post 15256331)

....so I gave it up.

After that get-off, I made my way from about 120-miles north of Phoenix. I was in terrible pain and literally groaned all night.

At 6 AM, she made me go to the ER and told the doc to either give me something for my pain or else he could sleep with me that night!

To her credit, she took it all in stride and the decision to exit motorcycles a few years later was mine. It was the third time to enter and exit. Am I done? Probably but I do miss them but not the 45 lbs lost since getting back on bicycles!

Blanchje 02-11-13 08:06 AM

I rode for a long time and love the feeling motorcycling can bring. For me it was a combination of changing my focus to cycling and one too many really close calls with deer that finally convinced my to sell the motorcycle.

Mariner Fan 02-11-13 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by Looigi (Post 15248770)
Hmmmm. FWIW I just came across this: [h=1]"Older (motor)bikers three times as likely to be seriously injured in crashes as younger peers" [/h] http://group.bmj.com/group/media/lat...-younger-peers

I fell out of a tree once when I was young. It hurt, but I was OK. I suppose if I fell out of that tree now; I'd end up in the hospital.

Nightshade 02-12-13 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by smoore (Post 15244990)
I'm 63 and in good health. I rode motorcycles for about ten years, sold them and bought a Miata that I've been enjoying for the last ten. There was a four year overlap where I had both, but ultimately decided the Miata was a better lifestyle move and of course, safer. The primary reason that pushed be over the edge was three friends who were in substantial crashes in one month...none of them their fault. One guy had a deer run into him, another guy was rear ended at a stop light and the third guy had a girl on a cell phone turn left into him. He lost his arm. So, that's why I gave it up and I thought my interest had sufficiatly waned as well.

However, I now have the bug again and even tried to buy my old bike back (Honda Hawk GT). Part of me wants to start riding again but another part of me is reminding me of my age and the inherent dangers even for a good rider. I just came back from a spirited ride in the N. GA mountains and the Miata is a great car for that...but it's not a motorcycle.

What say ye?

Everything about your post says that you are uncomfortable with the thought of riding a motorcycle again. I know that feeling all to well myself. IMO this is a "bug" that we all get from time to time. If you give in to this bug you will have buyers remorse big time. Big time!!

Ask yourself , and be honest now!, are you willing to accept the life & death risk that goes with riding a motorcycle? I quit the motorcycle when I asked that question and the answer was....no.

I satisfy my cycling needs with bicycles that are less risky and way more fun at a pace I'm very comfortable with. The way I see it a sports car and a bicycle are a perfect combo for older folk's.