Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Pub 51 (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/876247-pub-51-a.html)

choteau 04-29-15 10:16 PM

I'm more of a "hope" kind of guy. Hope I don't get a flat, hope I remembered my water, hope I survive the ride, hope the dogs remember me when I get home, etc...;) I do tend to "be in the moment" when riding and the aches and pains I live with seem to vanish, I'm a kid again...... I do give thanks for being alive when I wake up, just wish the dogs would let me sleep till 6 instead of 4:30am.:lol:

Wanderer 04-30-15 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston (Post 17762904)
Do you "Pray" while riding?

I’m a frequent poster to Bikeforums, not only as an avid cyclist to communicate with the like-minded, but also to record my thoughts (“journal”) about my cycling lifestyle, which I would not write about otherwise without such a Forum as BF.

I don’t have permission to access P&R, and am not interested in applying, but I thought the topic was worthy enough to me at least to record my thoughts. Furthermore I think this topic will likely get buried in all the snarkiness on that subforum. SO FYA, if interested (or not) I have written my reply to the Pub 51 sticky thread on the Fifty-Plus Forum, because this thread is

And furthermore, as SammyJ, OP of the aforementioned thread wrote, “…How about you?
(and NO, I'm not evangelizing here!).”

I was disappointed to see this thread moved to P&R. For the first few years after I joined Bike Forums, I liked the Fifty-Plus subforum because while it was composed of like-minded cyclists of my generation, it featured posts about how cycling fit into a more broad life outlook (Weltanschaung). Nowadays, it seems much to be a mish-mash of topics that could easily be found in Road Cycling, Bicycle Mechanics, Touring or whatever…important and relevant, but mundane and not overarching.

Anyways, my reply to the removed thread itself, without getting into my specific theology, is that mostly my thoughts on the road are about work, family and more immediate issues; sometimes even composing posts to BikeForums in my head. On occasions I might ponder and give thanks for the Existence of Life and the World.

On my first major ride of last year, down in Rhode Island, I did adopt this roadside statue as an icon of my Guardian Angel of the Road. It reminds me of this Guardian Angel figure from the illustrated cartoon strip, who assumes that protective warrior image in times of danger to his ward.

http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=448144http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=448145

One other spiritual benefit I enjoy more frequently and usefully on the Road is:

This thread may encourage me to more often ponder and give thanks for the Existence of Life and the World. (BTW, my job, to which I cycle commute also encourages such meditations, even more frequently than bicycling, but I won't go there... :innocent:).

This thread kind of hits home for me - and I believe that it really did belong in the 50+ Forum.

I think that many "older" individuals come back to religion, as they gain life experience.

I, also, have a guardian angel, my own daughter - and she has saved me more than once.

The peace and serenity of cycling seems to lend itself to reflection and deep thought, while relaxing the body and the soul.

No, I'm not a bible thumper either, but do believe, and am not embarrassed by it. It's nice, and not surprising, to know other old farts feel the same way.

Thanks for bringing it up, moved or not!

Phil

qcpmsame 04-30-15 06:13 AM

I was sorry to see Sammy's post get moved to P&R, its not a good place to be participating in, for me. I always use riding time for some prayers, get in many of my prayer list people while I am out. I just hope that these few replies, in this thread, don't get dusted, too.

Bill

RonH 04-30-15 03:43 PM

After my car-bike accident last September I always pray for safety for myself while I'm out riding and for my wife. She worries a lot.

SammyJ 05-01-15 12:32 AM

Saw a video where a truck driver assaulted a cyclist. The truck did pass somewhat close, but the cyclist had a bad idea, shoot him the finger. Now the truck driver is UPSET.

Frankly, if he had kept both hands on the bars, him and his bike would be in better shape.

OldsCOOL 06-03-15 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by RonH (Post 17766312)
After my car-bike accident last September I always pray for safety for myself while I'm out riding and for my wife. She worries a lot.

I ask for divine help every ride....and for no flats. :)

OldsCOOL 06-03-15 09:34 AM

Gotta let y'all in on a little secret (kinda). I'm working on obtaining a Colnago Super ('77) after a 4yr wait the owner decided to let it go. It's a legit barn find with 35yrs of dust and flat sew-ups. We settled on a workable price and I'm STOKED, to say the least. It should be in my shop by the end of July.

h2oxtc 06-07-15 12:37 PM

Sounds to me like you just got a little divine help. Nice barn find.

OldsCOOL 06-09-15 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by h2oxtc (Post 17873064)
Sounds to me like you just got a little divine help. Nice barn find.

Thanx, I'm thinking the same thing. It is one of those "right time" things. I've been wanting a shot at that bike for 4yrs. When I asked his sister to inquire, he gave the answer he wouldnt even let the frameset go for less than 1200.00. The owner raced it when he was in high school. I'm blessed to have come to an agreement for an affordable price but totally caught me off guard when he started posting pics of a fully intact classic.

rck 06-15-15 09:59 AM

Tell me again why I love home ownership. Went to put my pants on this A.M. and couldn't help but notice that they were wet. I know it wasn't me as they were dry when I threw them atop of the chest when I went to bed. The cat can't jump that high any more so I knew it wasn't him. That left only one possible explanation so I looked up and saw where I had a leak.:( D-----!

This required a trip into the attic where the bats have left a layer of guano over the years, and a look around to find the source. This done I got in touch with my neighbor who is a construction guy and he will go up and do the repair as its an air vent issue. Problem solved until the next time.

This brings to mind a question that perhaps someone would like to address. I'm 65 and figure I've got say 10-20 years left of being able to stay in my own home. How much money do I put into this house? I mean above and beyond needed maintenance. Once I die or get moved to a home for old bikers I won't care about the house any more and the only ones benefitting will be the charities I have chosen to receive what's left of my paltry estate. I mean I could spend some money and make it a really nice house. Why?

Which question brings to mind another. Who would have guessed when I was in my 20's and enjoying my youth, that this type of question would ever cross my mind?:)

Fastfingaz 06-23-15 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by OldsCOOL (Post 17862099)
Gotta let y'all in on a little secret (kinda). I'm working on obtaining a Colnago Super ('77) after a 4yr wait the owner decided to let it go. It's a legit barn find with 35yrs of dust and flat sew-ups. We settled on a workable price and I'm STOKED, to say the least. It should be in my shop by the end of July.

I've never seen such an animal ,,post a picture

OldsCOOL 06-23-15 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by Fastfingaz (Post 17919833)
I've never seen such an animal ,,post a picture

Will be picking this up (hopefully) a week from Sunday. The anticipation is a bit overwhelming. Here is a pic from the seller:
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h8...FE3A427732.jpg

Fastfingaz 06-24-15 02:04 PM

Looks nice that deserves a full layout , drive side,,,

OldsCOOL 06-24-15 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by Fastfingaz (Post 17923375)

I'll be bringing it home in 10 days, will spiff up and do a photo session. Thanx!

SammyJ 06-28-15 04:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Garage kept by original owners from early 1970's.

Thinking real hard

http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=461307

curbtender 06-28-15 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by SammyJ (Post 17767482)
Saw a video where a truck driver assaulted a cyclist. The truck did pass somewhat close, but the cyclist had a bad idea, shoot him the finger. Now the truck driver is UPSET.

Frankly, if he had kept both hands on the bars, him and his bike would be in better shape.

You brought up an old memory. 60's, Oakland, crossing the street at a crosswalk, as I was told, and a guy and his old lady, that's what they called them, on a chopper swerving at me as I jumped on to the curb. This guy leans waaaaay out, almost trying to slap his f-finger in my face and was yelling something as his front wheel slid out and the two of them went bouncing down the street. Ha, justice served. I don't think I've even thought of that in 40 years...

JanMM 06-28-15 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by SammyJ (Post 17934448)

Thinking real hard

My first bike (as an adult) was a '73 Continental, the next step up in the electro-forged world from a Varsity. It served me well for three years - I got addicted to cycling during that time.
But I don't at all miss it. Wouldn't be interested in having or riding one now. It was rugged but those things were boat anchors with mediocre parts.
To each his own...:)

SammyJ 06-28-15 07:02 PM

Ah, but the steel frame rode real nice, new wheels and updated drive...

OldsCOOL 06-29-15 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by SammyJ (Post 17934448)

Thinking real hard

Find a lighter bike......unless you just gotta have it.

OldsCOOL 07-02-15 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by OldsCOOL (Post 17924395)
I'll be bringing it home in 10 days, will spiff up and do a photo session. Thanx!

2 days and a wake-up.....

OldsCOOL 07-04-15 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by OldsCOOL (Post 17924395)

Originally Posted by OldsCOOL (Post 17945277)
2 days and a wake-up.....

18 hours.....

OldsCOOL 07-05-15 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by Fastfingaz (Post 17923375)

Just got it home from a roadtrip. It's a '77 Super and basically been sitting in various barns and garages wherever the owner moved since '78. He built it from a frameset when working a LBS in school years. The term, "rode hard and put away wet" aptly applies. Here are a few pics before I strip it to the frame for polishing and servicing. What a classic babe. (The cyclone will be swapped for a Campy NR)

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h8...5DFD617158.jpg

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h8...20D7009551.jpg

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h8...B48D4E0B3B.jpg

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h8...05767D680E.jpg

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h8...EF7F29F365.jpg

downtube42 07-07-15 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by rck (Post 17895613)
Tell me again why I love home ownership. Went to put my pants on this A.M. and couldn't help but notice that they were wet. I know it wasn't me as they were dry when I threw them atop of the chest when I went to bed. The cat can't jump that high any more so I knew it wasn't him. That left only one possible explanation so I looked up and saw where I had a leak.:( D-----!

This required a trip into the attic where the bats have left a layer of guano over the years, and a look around to find the source. This done I got in touch with my neighbor who is a construction guy and he will go up and do the repair as its an air vent issue. Problem solved until the next time.

This brings to mind a question that perhaps someone would like to address. I'm 65 and figure I've got say 10-20 years left of being able to stay in my own home. How much money do I put into this house? I mean above and beyond needed maintenance. Once I die or get moved to a home for old bikers I won't care about the house any more and the only ones benefitting will be the charities I have chosen to receive what's left of my paltry estate. I mean I could spend some money and make it a really nice house. Why?

Which question brings to mind another. Who would have guessed when I was in my 20's and enjoying my youth, that this type of question would ever cross my mind?:)

Right there with you. Condo or apartment living comes to mind from time to time. But I could probably hire out everything from lawn mowing to sweeping the garage and still be dollars ahead. In the meantime I'm still mowing the grass, contemplating the next repair job, when I could be out riding my bike.

downtube42 07-07-15 11:09 AM

t-6 weeks before PBP, so I've sworn off beer, donuts, and my beloved cheetos in a last ditch effort to drop a few pounds. Too lazy to do the math, but every pound I drop must translate to a few minutes, given the 33,000 feet of climbing. So, I guess no more lurking in the pub for me.

OldsCOOL 07-07-15 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by downtube42 (Post 17958372)
t-6 weeks before PBP, so I've sworn off beer, donuts, and my beloved cheetos in a last ditch effort to drop a few pounds. Too lazy to do the math, but every pound I drop must translate to a few minutes, given the 33,000 feet of climbing. So, I guess no more lurking in the pub for me.

You can feel every 5lb drop. I've had 4 such drops so far and can say it feels like you are getting stronger on the hills and avg speeds when actually is more a factor of losing "rolling resistance". Cut all you can.