Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Torn Meniscus

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Torn Meniscus

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-13, 06:33 AM

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
My wife just had an MRI that showed a monster tear of her medial meniscus, and she doesn't even remember how she did it. She will be joining the 1st opinion - 2nd opinion - maybe 3rd opinion merry-go-round. I bet she is going to need surgery. I'll keep you posted.

Old 03-31-13, 06:37 AM

For what it's worth, her physical therapist is the one advising surgery He's says he's done all he can do.

Old 04-01-13, 02:36 PM

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 245 Times in 181 Posts
Not much you can do to work PT around torn cartilage. It's there, it's interfering with the joint and with the soft tissue or it's not.

J.
Old 04-01-13, 06:20 PM

Bikes: 1995 Trek 930SHX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by qcpmsame
I'd have a second opinion just to see if the otrhos both want to do the scoping then make my decision. One thing I keep in mind about these injuries is that they are not going to self heal and if I keep riding, running, etc. I am going to just cause more damage.

My brother had some serious scoping done to a knee he injured/tore the meniscus very seriously on duty as a deputy. He had the surgery, was doing rehab in a day and spent a few weeks with the required rehab to get a physicians return to duty release that was a correct and true release not a hurry back to work thing. He had had no pain since and did active, hard duty until he retired last October. Still running and working out now.

Bill
Hi Bill,

You replied to my initial post in the Introductions forum so I figured I'd check out the 50+ forum. Interesting thread. I am a runner who used to bicycle and took up running to keep in shape for bicycling (could not really ride in the cold winters here in Pittsburgh). I stuck with the running and dropped the bicycling.

I had my right knee scoped in 1994 to remove an inflamed plica and I've dealt with nasty cases of runner's knee (patello-femoral syndrome) in both knees in the late 1990s. I did not run for about ten years due to these injuries but started back running in 2006 after the knee were felling okay.

I understand that most meniscis tears are medial side tears. I was diagnosed with runner's knee and a tight IT band in February after seeing an ortho doc for right knee lateral side pain sitting or walking. The doc took X-Rays and diagnosed me as having runner's knee. He had me do formal physical therapy but it has not helped me at all. About 6 weeks before i saw the doctor I slipped on some ice. I did not fall but my right foot slid sideways irritating my right knee's lateral side which ached for a few days then got better. After reading this thread, I think I will go back and see the doctor to ask what he thinks. Perhaps an MRI is in order.

Mike
Old 04-01-13, 06:25 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RonH
I've had both knees done -- one in 2008 and the other in 2010. I went to a sports med doc. With arthroscopic surgery there is no cutting, only small holes about the size of a knitting needle.
For my pt the doc had me on the trainer for 5 minutes the afternoon of the surgery. I was up to 45 minutes after 2 weeks and back out of the road in 3-4 weeks.
Either do it NOW so you be back at it before summer or wait until late fall.
One friend who is a runner tore his meniscis while he was hanging drywall. He was standing with a piece of drywall (sheetrock) over his head and twisted suddenly. He heard a snap from one knee. The odd thing is that the knee did not hurt until later when he went for a run. He had the knee scoped and never even needed to use crutches. In fact when he returned to see the doctor a week later for a post-op visit, he figured he'd better use the crutches when he walked into the exam room.

Mike
Old 04-01-13, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by Dudelsack
For what it's worth, her physical therapist is the one advising surgery He's says he's done all he can do.
Surgery scheduled for Thursday. I'll let you know how it goes.

Old 04-01-13, 06:39 PM

Bikes: 2012 Trek DS 8.5 all weather hybrid, 2008 LeMond Poprad cyclocross, 1992 Cannondale R500 roadbike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Surgery scheduled for Thursday. I'll let you know how it goes.
Yes, please do... I hope all goes well.

Tell her the old guys (and girls) are thinking or her.
Old 04-02-13, 06:47 AM
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Prayers for a successful knee rebuild for Mrs. Dudel, hope all goes well for her. Please do keep us posted on how things go for her.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 04-02-13, 07:56 AM
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked 1,988 Times in 569 Posts
Good luck with the surgery!

Is the tear in a place where it can be repaired?

Old 04-02-13, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by Biker395
Good luck with the surgery!

Is the tear in a place where it can be repaired?
Extensive tear of the lateral meniscus. A week ago my wife's knee blew up and she developed a Bakers cyst. An MRI showed the anatomy.

I'm taking this week off and can play the nursing assistant. She's scheduled to go to Colorado in May to help out with a new grand baby. If feels slightly ad hoc to me, but when the family PT says she needs it, that's pretty reassuring.

Old 04-04-13, 11:18 AM

For you prayer warriors, well-wishers, and idly curious: my wife did fine and is snoozing at home. The next few days/weeks will tell how well it really went. Doc said her knee was pretty tore up, so she might not be training for marathons any time soon.

Old 04-04-13, 12:28 PM

Bikes: Madone 5.9, 1980 Raleigh SGP,Trek 3500

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Glad all went well. Speaking from experience, tell her to take the pain meds as scheduled for the first couple days even if it doesn't hurt. A lesson I learned the hard way!
Old 04-04-13, 12:59 PM

Bikes: 2012 Trek DS 8.5 all weather hybrid, 2008 LeMond Poprad cyclocross, 1992 Cannondale R500 roadbike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For you prayer warriors, well-wishers, and idly curious: my wife did fine and is snoozing at home. The next few days/weeks will tell how well it really went. Doc said her knee was pretty tore up, so she might not be training for marathons any time soon.
Glad that the surgery went well but sorry to hear that it was 'pretty tore up'. I hope she recovers quickly and fully...
Old 04-04-13, 05:52 PM

Thank you for the above. She's fine now, but I have a feeling tomorrow will be a bit tougher.

Old 04-04-13, 09:10 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you for the above. She's fine now, but I have a feeling tomorrow will be a bit tougher.
Tougher on her -- or on her 'nurse'?
Old 04-05-13, 05:30 AM
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Dudel,
This news made my night, glad to read she is doing well as can be expected. Keep us posted on how she does in her recovery.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 04-05-13, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by GeorgeBMac
Tougher on her -- or on her 'nurse'?

She actually feels unexpectedly well this AM. Her nursing team includes two granddaughters who leave in about an hour back to Pittsburgh, so it might get ugly a little later.

Old 04-05-13, 07:44 AM
dbg
Si Senior

Bikes: Too Numerous (not)

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by ascenzm
One friend who is a runner tore his meniscis while he was hanging drywall. He was standing with a piece of drywall (sheetrock) over his head and twisted suddenly. He heard a snap from one knee. The odd thing is that the knee did not hurt until later when he went for a run. He had the knee scoped and never even needed to use crutches. In fact when he returned to see the doctor a week later for a post-op visit, he figured he'd better use the crutches when he walked into the exam room.
Similar experience here. Mine was an easy recovery. No crutches. In fact the next morning I was moving furniture around and bounding up and down stairs. I was actually worried I was too active too soon. But the doctor told me that being a biker I would have no recovery problems and would not need physical therapy. He echoed one of my mantras, "just keep riding."
Old 04-05-13, 11:47 AM
Trekkie

Bikes: Schwinn Krate Pea Picker, Marin Rocky ridge , Lynskey Helix - ultegra

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had both knees done by arthroscopic for cartilage. I then ripped/shredded ACL and Meniscus. My doctor said it looked like spaghetti.
Friend of mine had the same injury approx. the same amount of damage. Friend had a graft done per recommendation of his doctor. I explained about the diagnosis on my friend and asked my doctor if I should have a graft. He said he didn't believe in doing it that way. He said we clean it up by arthroscope and then consider the graft as a last resort and if needed we go back and do it down the road a few months.
He was right on.
This was when I was alot younger also and could heal faster. My friend spent 6 months with PT, I was out bouncing around in a matter of weeks. I did have to get a CTI brace for things like skiing as the knee had a tendency to pop out. I would find, over the years, if I didn't keep up with exercise, it hurt more and would pop out more. If I keep strong the muscles around the knee keep it going great.
Old 04-05-13, 02:28 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MuddKatt

I would find, over the years, if I didn't keep up with exercise, it hurt more and would pop out more. If I keep strong the muscles around the knee keep it going great.
I have wondered about that...

Growing up, the only person I knew with a joint surgery or replacement was my uncle -- and that was due entirely a bad automobile accident where his hip was crushed.

But today, it is quite commonplace.

So, what's the difference? Could it be our generally decreased fitness levels and increased weight?
Old 04-05-13, 11:50 PM

Bikes: Spec Roubaix Expert, Cannondale CAAD12, Jamis Quest ELite, Jamis Dragon Pro, Waterford ST-22

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts

Growing up, the only person I knew with a joint surgery or replacement was my uncle -- and that was due entirely a bad automobile accident where his hip was crushed.

So, what's the difference? Could it be our generally decreased fitness levels and increased weight?
I think it's because we play harder. When I was growing up none of my parents or their friends were runners, or mtn climbers, or serious cyclists. Active? Yes. But not in the way our generation is.

I had both my knees scoped in the mid 90's when I was trail running 15-18 miles. When I hit 45 I was getting some knee pain again so I turned more to cycling to preserve the knees. Now at age 58 I have had for 2 years another slight medial meniscus tear in the right knee but some good PT and regular biking has kept the pain away and mobility up. I plan to avoid surgery as long as possible since it usually involves cutting out a pretty good sized chunk of the remaining cartilage to remove the tear and each time you do that you increase the likelihood of arthritis down the road.

Last edited by mtnroads; 04-06-13 at 12:08 AM.
Old 04-06-13, 06:59 AM

Can't speak for the general population, but in my wife's case poor conditioning and habitus must have played a role.

The question is whether minimally invasive procedures lead to over utilization. It's become a religious/ideological issue I think. In my wife's case we would have stalled forever on some sort of weird arthroplasty, but with minimally invasive stuff I was actually telling her yesterday I thought she was doing too much because she just felt that much better.

Old 04-06-13, 08:01 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can't speak for the general population, but in my wife's case poor conditioning and habitus must have played a role.

The question is whether minimally invasive procedures lead to over utilization. It's become a religious/ideological issue I think. In my wife's case we would have stalled forever on some sort of weird arthroplasty, but with minimally invasive stuff I was actually telling her yesterday I thought she was doing too much because she just felt that much better.
Glad to hear that she is feeling better...
... Does that mean you get time off to take a ride? (I think they call it 'recess')
Old 06-29-13, 06:53 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dbg
Similar experience here. Mine was an easy recovery. No crutches. In fact the next morning I was moving furniture around and bounding up and down stairs. I was actually worried I was too active too soon. But the doctor told me that being a biker I would have no recovery problems and would not need physical therapy. He echoed one of my mantras, "just keep riding."
I first read this thread back in April when I joined BikeForums. At that time I thought my knee issue was Runner's knee. I know think I have a torn lateral meniscus (have a MRI scheduled on Tuesday). I revisited this thread and saw your response to my old post. I am impressed that you did not need crutches after your surgery. Did you get surgery soon after you injured the knee? My concern is that I've been having knee pain for over five months and if I have to have surgery my recovery will be slow.

Mike
Old 06-29-13, 07:00 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NVanHiker
The above link is just six hours old. (Could only do a one-line posting because all of a sudden my carriage-return key doesn't work in Bikeforums).
I have the same problem with Internet Explorer, but not with Google Chrome. Mike

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.