Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

My Wife has a Bad Crash -- Riding Not Worth It?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

My Wife has a Bad Crash -- Riding Not Worth It?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-13, 08:29 PM
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,180 Times in 1,470 Posts
Originally Posted by trek330
That is such a serious curve that if there are no warning road signs before it you probably could sue the Municipality for negligence!
Of course there's at least one person that mentions lawsuit. Bicycling has risks, which is what this thread covers well.
Old 05-14-13, 08:38 PM

Bikes: Bacchetta CA2.0

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by StanSeven
Of course there's at least one person that mentions lawsuit. Bicycling has risks, which is what this thread covers well.
There's a reason why every product comes with a warning label. If not, some poor stupid fool will file a lawsuit over some issue......" What do ya mean I should use the screwdriver to remove ear wax?"
Old 05-14-13, 11:27 PM

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Crashing hard is never fun.
Been there, done that; including a 30+ mph crash on our tandem and a 38 mph crash on my single.
At ages 80 and 78 we still ride as a duo several times a week and also ride my single; manage to rack up 5,000+ miles a year.
Have broken 6 ribs, shoulder/humerus in 2 places, lost a few teeth, punctured a lung and we don't even count road rash.
You don't do nuthin' . . . you die any way!
Have never considered MUPs as 'safe' place tvo ride. Prefer the real roads/highways.
Time heals all things . . . eventually.
Old 05-15-13, 04:23 PM
Rides again

Bikes: Giant OCR T, Trek SC

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
As others, sorry to hear of crashes, and especially painful one. However, I'm more like cyclintom than the rest. You need to do some more searching as to the cause. Could it have been blood sugar? Could hydration have had an effect? Could it have been just non-practiced at bike handling at different speeds, direction changes, and elevation changes?

It would be easy to think it's just an error, but there easily could be something medical or training involved that led to this event.

The MUP looks good and I don't recall any mention of animals darting across path. So it either has to be the rider didn't adjust enough for the trail or something medically threw the normal body functions out of wack.

I've had many other cyclists kid me about slowing down too much for curves and especially downhills, but they have had experiences laying down a bike. Hasn't happened to me yet. However motorcyclists have a saying, "it's not if you will lay down your bike, but when". Some sites have tutorials on how to get out of trouble when going down and others have lots of information on protective gear.
Old 05-15-13, 05:48 PM
Photon-Ninja

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank God for that helmet. I had a terrible experience with a broken leg from roller skating. I knew I shouldn't have been doing it when I did. Because of the not walking for a year, I decided I would NEVER try that again. The price wasn't worth it to me, and it happened my first try. I knew there where too many variables that were wrong when I foolishly went to the rink.

That being said, I understand your wife's decision. Someday I might try rollerblading in a safer environment, but will start slow. She is not making a wrong decision. And after time heals some, she may change her mind.

Again, Thank God she was wearing a helmet.

I am glad to hear of her speedy recovery, and wish you the best of luck. Just remember that life is worth living when your stuck in a bubble. Something I try to remind myself every day. Good luck on your century.
Old 05-15-13, 07:30 PM

Bikes: 1997 Specialized M2Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HiYoSilver
You need to do some more searching as to the cause. Could it have been blood sugar? Could hydration have had an effect? Could it have been just non-practiced at bike handling at different speeds, direction changes, and elevation changes?
I think it's pretty clear what happened. She still doesn't remember the crash, but she remembers going down the hill and noticing the sharp turn. These turns are much sharper than encountered on regular roads.

I'm not going to sue anyone, but I might send an email suggesting some warning signs ("Very sharp curves ahead").
Old 05-15-13, 08:03 PM

Bikes: Reynolds 531P road bike, Rocky Mountain Metropolis, Rocky Mountain Sherpa 10, Look 566

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My husband (age 74) had a bad crash two years ago after hitting a loose chunk of asphalt. First I heard of it was when he called me at work from the emergency ward after the ambulance took him there (he's retired, I'm not). He had a concussion and was unconscious when they found him. A passing motorist saw him go over the handlebars and called 911.
I was uneasy with the idea of him riding alone out on the highway after that and still am. I really wish he'd find more riding partners, or at least do more rides in town when he can't find people to ride with. I'd even be willing to see him riding with a suspiciously good-looking divorcee, just so he wasn't by himself out there.
But, you know, people have passed away getting up from the sofa to go to the 'fridge, so life goes on. You can't pack yourself in cotton wool.
Glad to hear your wife is okay. In time she may decide to ride again. It will have to be on her own terms, and in her own time.
Old 05-15-13, 08:14 PM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Good to hear things are going well.

The risks of a sedentary lifestyle are in many ways worse than what can happen riding a bike, which is tons more fun.
Old 05-19-13, 11:33 AM
Rides again

Bikes: Giant OCR T, Trek SC

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by TromboneAl
I think it's pretty clear what happened. She still doesn't remember the crash, but she remembers going down the hill and noticing the sharp turn. These turns are much sharper than encountered on regular roads.

I'm not going to sue anyone, but I might send an email suggesting some warning signs ("Very sharp curves ahead").
I'ld also suggest carefully reading this article https://www.slowtwitch.com/Training/C...nding_203.html and when it is a good time reviewing this with her. It's basic stuff that is clear to some but others aren't familiar with the contents.

Anyway, glad to hear everything is working out. The Redding area is definitely warmer than the north country.
Old 05-19-13, 12:19 PM

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
Al,

Sorry to hear about your wife's crash. Last year, I spent so much time off the bike because of crashes, my grandkids started calling me "Crash King." I know the apprehension involved as far as getting back on a bike after a bad crash.

When I first started back into riding, my wife bought two bicycles; one for my birthday and one for her. She hadn't ridden a bike since she was around 10 years old and tried desperately to maintain her balance while riding the bike without falling. She has bilateral hip replacements and was terrified of falling and re-injuring one or both of her hips. It got to the point where, after a few falls, she refused to get on the bike and try riding it again. I suggested that she look into a recumbent tadpole trike and now she rides all the time. It's something that you may want to bring up with her in the future, but I wouldn't rush it. It may take her a while to get over the crash to where she may consider anything that doesn't have four wheels and a motor.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 05-19-13, 12:29 PM

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
Really sorry to hear about your wife's crash. I hope she is doing well.
Old 05-24-13, 08:12 AM

Bikes: BH Crystal & hoping to get my own MTB soon

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I really hope ur wife is feeling much better & has made a full recovery. any crash is scary, and mine still haunts me even tho its just a minor one. every time i catch myself narrowly missing a pothole or any cracks or ridges on the pavement, i realize just how much i actually rely on luck bcos no amount of vigilance can actually guarantee an absolutely risk free ride. but having said tht, i enjoy riding too much to stop so i still go out there, try my darnedest to ride safe and just take my chances.

But a major crash like ur wife's... now thats beyond scary and would take time to get over, if ever.
Old 05-25-13, 10:57 AM
Humvee of bikes =Worksman

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
"Have any of you thought about quitting after something like this? Did you change your mind?"

No, I just cut back to more recreational riding.

Originally Posted by krazygluon
Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred, which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?