Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

A delicate question. . . .

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

A delicate question. . . .

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-13, 10:58 PM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I rode 5000 miles last year. Just rode a century yesterday. I did OK, but my butt really hurt. My "research" into the wonderful world of saddles has yielded the following: for me, saddles that are flat, both when viewed from the side and from the back are best; a cutout seems to help the chafing, as much by ventilating the area as anything else; and less is more when it comes to padding. I'm trying two such saddles this week, and keeping my fingers crossed. Thanks for all the suggestions, and I'll post when I get the "results."
Old 04-08-13, 06:16 PM

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Just a guess, but maybe your taint is becoming shaped differently with age - enlarged prostate? Might require that cutout or at least a center groove.

Upright fitting isn't supposed to be that esoteric. Get a saddle that is the right width for your sitz bones, and have the adjustments 'in the ballpark,' ride regularly, and that should be enough to keep you out of pain. I hear people talking of half-millimeter adjustments, and I roll my eyes. I really don't care if folks ride uprights or recumbents; but it seems pretty, well, stoopid to run through all your options without relief, and then have to cut back on your riding, all because vanity and some misconceptions keep you away from recumbents.
Old 04-08-13, 07:26 PM

Bikes: Specialized 6Fattie, Parlee Z5, Scott Addict

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
Cool! BlazingPedals may have the cause. You may have seen these, but take a look at https://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com...ll-about-smps/ and various saddle info at https://www.wekeepyoucycling.com/en/e-lifesize.aspx

Also, in general, connective tissue in the body gets thinner and more fragile with age. You may have to go to one of the more radical saddle solutions to maintain comfort. Have your tried the ISM Adamo?
Old 04-08-13, 07:56 PM
Erect member since 1953

Bikes: Trek 520 Grando, Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Ti Century Elite turned commuter, Some old French thing gone fixie

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 21 Posts
I've had saddles others loved that worked like hatchets for me.
My fav: The mens version of Selle Italia SLK. It's a cut out. I've done 206 mile, 19 hour rides and the only things that don't hurt are my feet and butt.
Old 04-08-13, 08:04 PM
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,179 Times in 1,469 Posts
This time of year as my miles and effort increases from the winter lull, I get saddle sores. I lower my saddle maybe 1/2 inch at most and move it forward maybe 1/4 inch. The adjustments are minor until it feels better. Then as I get use dto riding longer and harder, I put the saddle back in it's normal position.

To me, it's due to me not being used to the added work.