Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Got Away With A Huge Mistake

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-13, 06:01 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts

I rode 20 miles on Sunday and was getting ready for 10 mile ride yesterday. Before every ride I check the tire pressure and yesterday the pressure in my rear tire was down so, I topped it off and away I went for my 10 mile ride.

Today I am getting ready to load my bike on the car rack because it is going to my LBS for 30 day warranty checkup. The rear tire was completely flat.

I got away with going out on two long rides with a faulty tube with no extra tube or patch kit in wedge.

I won't make that mistake again.

So, for the experts should I buy a mini pump or use CO2? Keep in mind the maximum tire pressure on tires is 80 psi. Finally, a mini pump model or CO2 attachment recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-16-13, 06:06 PM
2 Fat 2 Furious

Bikes: 2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc, 2009 Specialized Tricross Sport RIP

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Planemaker
So, for the experts should I buy a mini pump or use CO2? Keep in mind the maximum tire pressure on tires is 80 psi. Finally, a mini pump model or CO2 attachment recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
Don't know if I count as an expert but unless time is critical I'd go for a pump over CO2 cartridges, simply because with a pump I can blow as much air into as many tyres as I want, as many times as I want, and the only limiting factor is my arms. With CO2 when you've used your last cartridge if you get another flat you're outta luck.
Old 04-16-13, 06:10 PM

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
CO2 cartridges rule. They're quick and, once you waste 3 or 4 of them trying to figure out how they work, pretty easy.

I also like venting them to the atmosphere. This winter was really cold, and I want to hasten global warming.

Old 04-16-13, 06:19 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
I really like the pump that my not-quite-lbs put on the tandem they built for me. It's a Topeak Road Morph G Master Blaster. It mounts on water bottle braze-ons and has a pressure gauge built in. The mount is quite secure, which is important to my paranoid side. Here's one on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Topeak-Road-Mo.../dp/B000FI6YOS

I'm a bit of a retro-grouch. I still ride an old steel bike and I have never used CO2 cartridges, just pumps.
Old 04-16-13, 06:20 PM

Bikes: recumbent & upright

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 31 Posts
luck the flat fairy gave you a break, make sure you get a pump in homage
prefer a hand pump, have carried a Lezyne alloy drive for years, it is reliable and effective to around 80 psi
Old 04-16-13, 06:21 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've given up on CO2 for a couple of reasons. First, you can always have more flats than you have cartridges (I've had nine on a century), and if you have to carry a pump for backup, you might as well leave the carts home. Second, I use big tires (I weigh 240), and some carts won't inflate them fully. If you have to carry a pump to top them off.... I don't like the waste of throwing cartridges away, and I don't like finding them in the woods when I'm riding my mountain bike, and I don't like the cost (I have about 30 flats a year, so it adds up).
Mini-pumps sound good, but I've never found one that worked very well. My Zefal hPx will inflate my 37mm tires in fewer than 100 strokes. The last two minis I tried took 450 and almost 600.
Old 04-16-13, 07:29 PM
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked 1,974 Times in 565 Posts
If you're going to bring only one, Pump > CO2, for all the reasons mentioned. There are models that integrate the two together.

Which one? I have a little carbon Topeak that isn't much bigger than a Marks-a-Lot. It will pump to pretty high pressures if you got arms like Popeye.

Old 04-17-13, 12:03 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Topeak Morph series every time. Only thing is be careful on the choice of model. The mount replaces one of your water bottle carriers and for most that means the seat tube mount. The "Standard" Morph length is long and if you have a sloping tube frame- it may not fit on the seat tube. For that reason I have the Mini Morph on two bikes and the standard on one.

There is an alternative mount system that is supplied using zip ties but it is still a problem to mount on some bikes.

I don't use CO2 as it is surprising how many times I have loaned out my pump when their CO2 has failed. And the same goes for cheap pumps aswell. Surprising how many times my Topeak works when theirs does not.

Spike Milligan
Old 04-17-13, 02:54 AM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Specialized Diverge, Volagi Liscio, LHT, Trek 1.2

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 33 Posts
I carry both. I'm a tourer, so used to extra weight anyway. CO2 is quick and easy, but I don't like to depend on it solely for reasons already mentioned. Mini-pumps are a PITA, but a good back-up IMO.
Old 04-17-13, 04:14 AM

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,280 Times in 740 Posts
Originally Posted by Biker395
If you're going to bring only one, Pump > CO2, for all the reasons mentioned. There are models that integrate the two together.
+1
Old 04-17-13, 04:29 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
I carry both. A mini-pump attached to the water bottle mounts and the CO2 in my seat bag. In really cold weather (i.e. below freezing) I've found using a pump difficult with hands that are getting stiff after changing out or patching the tube. In those situations that CO2 is a welcome relief. Otherwise, I use the pump. (OK, once when I was going to be late for an important work meeting I used the CO2 because it was faster.)
Old 04-17-13, 05:30 AM

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Dog
I've given up on CO2 for a couple of reasons. First, you can always have more flats than you have cartridges (I've had nine on a century), and if you have to carry a pump for backup, you might as well leave the carts home. Second, I use big tires (I weigh 240), and some carts won't inflate them fully. If you have to carry a pump to top them off.... I don't like the waste of throwing cartridges away, and I don't like finding them in the woods when I'm riding my mountain bike, and I don't like the cost (I have about 30 flats a year, so it adds up).
Mini-pumps sound good, but I've never found one that worked very well. My Zefal hPx will inflate my 37mm tires in fewer than 100 strokes. The last two minis I tried took 450 and almost 600.
Why so many flats? That's a lifetimes worth for me.

The same people who toss cartridges toss old inner tubes. They commit a mortal sin.

Old 04-17-13, 05:30 AM

Location: Foothills of the beautiful Adirondack Mountains, NY
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
This is what I have and love it.

https://www.amazon.com/Lezyne-Road-Drive-CFH-Pump/dp/B004BKQGTE

It is excellent quality and works well. I love the fact it mounts to the frame, by the waterbottle cages.
Old 04-17-13, 07:29 AM
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
I went to CO2 as I have had at least 2 mini pumps fail me on the trail. But I still carry one as a back up.
Old 04-17-13, 07:39 AM

Bikes: Litespeed Obed, Cannondale Scalpel, Spcialized AWOL, Litespeed Solano, Cannondale Synapse

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I tend to carry both, especially on longer rides. CO2 will get you back on the road quicker but I have had technical issues (operator error!) with them so I consider a pump more fool proof.
Old 04-17-13, 02:38 PM

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
anything is better than nothing
Old 04-17-13, 02:51 PM

Bikes: 2013 Specialized Seceur Elite, Soma ES custom build

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been really lucky - have yet to get a flat, but since I just transitioned to a road bike I'm expecting that to change. Based on recommendations on this forum I do the belt-and-suspenders thing and carry a couple of CO2 carts AND a pump.

I tried both the Road Morph and the Lezyne Pressure Drive hand pump (small), and found that even without the ability to use the Road Morph as a floor pump, I was able to get my tires to 100psi easier with the little Lezyne than with the Road Morph. I thought that the gauge on the Road Morph was going to seal the deal, but found the gauge a bit hard to read - much harder than the little brass dial gauge I carry in the seat bag. From the standpoint of ease and efficiency I'll use the CO2 carts first, and switch to the pump only if I waste or run out of the carts.
Old 04-17-13, 03:07 PM

Bikes: 2007 Rocky Mountain Sherpa 30 (bionx), 2015 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
See Lezyne.com

Old 04-17-13, 04:37 PM
Old Fart In Training

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
CO2 is for wimps, Bikers Pump ! because we should use our arms at least a little XD
Old 04-17-13, 06:57 PM

Bikes: Specialized Expedition Sport, Surly LHT

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Topeak Road or Mountain Morph pump.
Old 04-17-13, 07:38 PM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by Planemaker
should I buy a mini pump or use CO2?
The most important thing is to understand yourself. Most of us don't get flat tires very often but, when you do, it can be aggravating. If you're the kind of person who gets upset easily, you want the quickest and most convenient inflation system you can find. If you're a more laid back kind of person, the time it takes to reinflate your tire isn't as significant.

CO2 is, by far, the speed and convenience king. I don't live in goat head country so I don't get a lot of flats but, when I do, I hate it. For years I only carried CO2 in my road bike saddle bag and never had to walk home or beg a pump from another rider. I would recommend practicing at home at least once. I also always took the time to check my tire and tube seating before shooting in the CO2. I never had a misfire. If I was still riding my road bike, I'd still be carrying CO2.

That leaves pumps. The laws of physics can't be violated no matter who makes the pump. There's 2 factors to consider, pressure and volume. Skinny pumps let you achieve higher pressure, pumps that are long and/or fat build up volume more quickly. I like relatively big pumps because I want to get back riding as quickly as possible. Dinky little mini-pumps may look cool and fit neatly in your saddle bag but, if you actually have to use one, they suck. If the pump connects directly to the tire without a flexible hose, there's also a technique factor to consider or you might tear your new inner tube at the base of the valve stem.

For the record, I stopped using CO2 when I switched to recumbents because one 15 gram cartridge will only inflate my tires to my minimum get-me-home air pressure. Now I carry a Topeak Morph pump. It works like a mini floor pump. The only things I don't like about it are that I have to bend over more than I like to use it and I think it's ugly.
Old 04-17-13, 08:18 PM
Erect member since 1953

Bikes: Trek 520 Grando, Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Ti Century Elite turned commuter, Some old French thing gone fixie

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 21 Posts
Road morph, or mini road morph.
Foot peg rocks.

But their stock mounting system is amazingly ugly. Instead get a under-water-bottle clip on from Performance. You pump disappears, hidden by the bottle.
Old 04-17-13, 08:38 PM

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by cccorlew
Road morph, or mini road morph.
Foot peg rocks.

But their stock mounting system is amazingly ugly. Instead get a under-water-bottle clip on from Performance. You pump disappears, hidden by the bottle.
link please
Old 04-17-13, 09:04 PM
Erect member since 1953

Bikes: Trek 520 Grando, Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Ti Century Elite turned commuter, Some old French thing gone fixie

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 21 Posts
Link for clip
I seems Performance doesn't have them on their site now, but on eBay I found this:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Roswheel-Bic...item53f3826cf7

Depending on pump size this might work too.
https://www.probikekit.com/bicycle-to.../10772106.html

I also used an old one from a mountain bike pump.

Here's a larger Topeak on my commuter bike with a side mount, its opposite the drive side and even though the pump is a large Topeak mountain pump it hardly shows. No zip ties, no giving up a water bottle boss.

Motobecane Fantom Outlaw by ccorlew, on Flickr
Old 04-17-13, 09:17 PM
Climbing Above It All

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If I got 30 flats a year I'd probably just go hiking instead. I carry a couple CO2 cartridges on my road bike and CO2 and a mini pump on my mtb. The mtb is tubeless so I'm not really sure what would happen if the latex sealant didn't work.

BTW, that bike ^^^ above is much too clean.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.