Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Balance vs age

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Balance vs age

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-13, 07:31 AM
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Balance vs age

A number of "authorities" write that balance decreases with age - given changes in ear physiology, vision, proprioception, strength, etc. I know that most of us have excellent "bike balance" but was wondering about you - especially those of you in your later 60's, 70's and upwards. Have you noticed changes in any type of balance skills (including bicycling) and, if so, are you attempting any remediations, and, if so, how is it going for you.

I have noticed my balance skills deteriorating in activities such as climbing over rocks on hills, crossing a stream on rocks, and similar. I have an increased awareness of the danger and fear of falling, etc.

To counteract this, I am using a BOSU ball, and balance discs for a series of balance exercises. But, in addition, I am purposely seeking out rocks and hills with balance requirements and the like, and I use these for training, also. And, I have noticed a significant improvement.

My bike balance seems to be fine - in fact, I would say it is excellent. Just the other stuff.

So, how about you?
Old 06-02-13, 07:58 AM

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
I will be 67 in a couple weeks and, other than the normal "never going to play football again" type things, have not seen any deterioration in my physical abilities. Staying active helps immensely as I'm sure we all know.
Old 06-02-13, 08:00 AM

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
While I'm not yet in your target age range I'll confirm that my balance is noticeably degraded. In addition to the reasons you listed which are all dead on in my opinion I think in large part it's due to falling out of practice as time goes by. In my 30's I'd do Yoga exercises which, stupid as it sounds, led to vast improvements in balance. These days my "yoga" balance is putting on shoes and socks standing on one leg. Seriously. But it does help ... not as much as your exercises, but I think we can train it back in at any age.
Old 06-02-13, 08:05 AM
Banned.

Originally Posted by wphamilton
While I'm not yet in your target age range I'll confirm that my balance is noticeably degraded. In addition to the reasons you listed which are all dead on in my opinion I think in large part it's due to falling out of practice as time goes by. In my 30's I'd do Yoga exercises which, stupid as it sounds, led to vast improvements in balance. These days my "yoga" balance is putting on shoes and socks standing on one leg. Seriously. But it does help ... not as much as your exercises, but I think we can train it back in at any age.
My balance changes were most forcefully brought to my attention as about 3 years ago I attended one of those "he-man" exercise activities classes. One of the things we were supposed to do was stand on one leg while pulling the other one up behind the butt in a stretch. I was, by far, the oldest person in the group of men. They could all do it. I could not. Wow!! Reality.
Old 06-02-13, 08:15 AM

Bikes: 2012 Cannondale Synapse 5 105

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
At 62, I have suspected that my balance abilities have degraded although I have no hard data or instances to support that claim.
Old 06-02-13, 08:19 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by carl_h
At 62, I have suspected that my balance abilities have degraded although I have no hard data or instances to support that claim.
See how long you can balance on one foot with your eyes closed. That skill seems to degrade as people age.
Old 06-02-13, 08:32 AM
Banned.

Originally Posted by gregf83
See how long you can balance on one foot with your eyes closed. That skill seems to degrade as people age.
Be sure you are near a wall or a chair or a post - seriously.
Old 06-02-13, 08:37 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
I will ask my father and get back to you..
Old 06-02-13, 08:58 AM

Bikes: 2012 Cannondale Synapse 5 105

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gregf83
But I didn't do that when I was younger, so I still wouldn't know if my balance had degraded or I was always just a klutz. (OK...now waiting for the inevitable reply to that setup! LOL)
Old 06-02-13, 09:01 AM
Fraser Valley Dave

Bikes: devinci monaco (upgraded)

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm also 67, and have noticed a decline in my balancing. There are many other factors involved besides general loses due to aging though. I have arthritis, damage from a broken hip resulting in reduced and painful flexibility, and reduced depth perception associated to old age, but the most significant factor is loss of confidence. When most people are young, they are full of confidence and 'go for it' without much concern of the possible consequences, whereas older people are hesitant and a bit timid and apprehensive because they worry about the consequences. This hesitation contributes to reduced balance. As an example...if you, at an advanced age, grab your bike and boldly push it forward while jumping aboard, everything usually works well, but if you timidly try to board, not only will you have difficulty in smoothly getting aboard, you'll have balancing problems as well. Sucks getting older.
Old 06-02-13, 09:12 AM

Bikes: n + 1

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by carl_h
Almost 62 and the only time I notice a "loss of balance" is if I've been on the floor for any amount of time and quickly rise to my feet. Not always, but for a few moments, I have a sense of not having any balance and if there is nothing to grab ahold of, feel that I'll fall over.
Old 06-02-13, 09:19 AM

Bikes: Cannondale Quick 2

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 23 Posts
I'm another 67 year (young) old. I have experienced no obvious balance issues, except on the bike I can not seem to ride hands free, unimportant as that may be. I have also noticed that at very low speed, especially when turning, I feel very wobbly/insecure. In fact doing just that a couple of weeks ago I had a crash that resulted in a fractured nose and eye socket (both now pretty much healed).

Of course there may exist, within me, a fear of having a bike crash as I had spine surgery (laminectomy and fusion) 3 years ago so I am very conscious of back impacts.

Best regards
Old 06-02-13, 09:28 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
Timely post, I just got up to walk into the kitchen, and nearly fell down, and my vision was all blurry. HOLY COW! I thought. The I realized I had my reading glasses on. Balance is fine, memory not so much.
Old 06-02-13, 09:34 AM
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
Pushing 61. I don't hop across rocks like I used to, and I walk in them every morning with the dogs. Every once in awhile, I'll feel like the back end of the bike is shimmying a little, like maybe the quick release is loose. That said, I suffered a concussion a few rears ago, playing tennis of all things. It takes much longer to fully recover from these things. I can still ride no hands, if I choose to.

Old 06-02-13, 12:09 PM

Bikes: n + 1

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by seedsbelize
...I suffered a concussion a few rears ago, playing tennis of all things. It takes much longer to fully recover from these things...
Holy Molly. Didn't anyone ever tell you to turn your back on an opponent's overhead smash? If you don't mind sharing, how did it happen? (Asked by another tennis player.)
Old 06-02-13, 12:54 PM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Do you have a Link to some of those scientific studies ?? I can use the evidence in court in 2 weeks.
Old 06-02-13, 01:31 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Balance

Originally Posted by fietsbob
Do you have a Link to some of those scientific studies ?? I can use the evidence in court in 2 weeks.
Hearing loss really effects balance. I wear two hearing aids normally but cannot wear them while riding because of the air noise and heat build up.

Bob
Old 06-02-13, 01:54 PM
astro

Bikes: Raleigh Sports, '72, Bianchi Volpe, '97 (no more, it died), Greenspeed GTVS6, '05, Trek 520, '13

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 25 Posts
I lost my left inner ear at the age of 22. So my balance (especially in the dark or with eyes closed) hasn't been good for a long time (I'm 67 now). However, my regular exercise includes standing on one foot for at least 30 seconds. (One foot then the other.) I don't really notice any problems on or off the bike.

- Ed
Old 06-02-13, 02:16 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
71 plus still love to ride. no balance problems.
Old 06-02-13, 04:13 PM

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
It's a very good question: if you start to lose balance, can you retrain it back to some extent?

I'm pretty sure the answer is yes. Our hospital now has a center for vestibular/labyrinthine disorders, and they say it can be retaught. The classic example is someone with post-concussion syndrome. Apparently you can really help some people who get their bells rung.

The BOSU ball is a great idea. My therapist wants me to work out on it every day. I use it about twice a year. Oh well.

Old 06-02-13, 04:30 PM
Slogging along

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse '06, Mongoose titanium road bike '00--my commuter. Yes, Mongoose once made a decent ti road bike.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I notice at age 64 some balance issues, subtle as they are. Balance involves three interacting aspects, middle ear, somatosensory (how your body feels) and visual. Unless there are other health issues involved, you can compensate for balance issues by visualizing further out to the horizon. The closer you visualize to your body, the more balance issues will manifest.
Old 06-02-13, 06:08 PM

Bikes: '05 Salsa La Raza, '13 Aluboo (bamboo) SS, '12 DaVinci Grand Junction tandem

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey Denver, thanks for bringing this up. Balance does deteriorate with age, but as you already found out, it is trainable at any age. I try to do some balance work on the BOSU at the end of every weight training session.
Old 06-02-13, 06:31 PM

Bikes: all steel stable: surly world troller, paris sport fixed, fuji ss

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts
My Yoga Teacher explained that balance doesn't deteriorate with age but that people think it does because of the increase of falls injuries in relation to age. She says that the falls are due to reaction time not balance. She says practice balance and you won't have count on your reaction time, as much, to save you.

Last edited by BigAura; 06-02-13 at 06:35 PM.
Old 06-02-13, 07:27 PM

Bikes: recumbent & upright

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 31 Posts
Think my balance is about the same. I can ride as well now, as I did in my teens and twenties.
However I do believe my reaction time might be a little slower, that could impact balance control.
There is a lot of data suggesting cycling helps improve Parkinson's related motion control.
Old 06-02-13, 07:53 PM
Banned.

Originally Posted by BigAura
My Yoga Teacher explained that balance doesn't deteriorate with age but that people think it does because of the increase of falls injuries in relation to age. She says that the falls are due to reaction time not balance. She says practice balance and you won't have count on your reaction time, as much, to save you.
Interesting.

Thanks for sharing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.