Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

I think I may be becoming a Grumpy Old Man.....(Rant)...slightly off topic.

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

I think I may be becoming a Grumpy Old Man.....(Rant)...slightly off topic.

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-13, 05:20 PM

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by volosong
How does one "mount" a GoPro on a dashboard? Might be worth doing, just for he heck of it. If I'm not riding, or recharging the thing, it's just sitting in the bike room.
They come with Velcro sticky tape that you can mount them on.

Old 06-06-13, 05:24 PM

Bikes: 1989 Schwinn World Sport. 1994 Diamond Back Response Elite MTB. 1964 Schwinn Typhoon. 1974 Bridgestone Sprinter, 2015 Scott Sub 10 Citybike.

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1688 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by trackhub
No, you're just wondering the same things I wonder about, on an almost daily basis. Namely, how did people get so stupid, and how do some of these stupid people even manage
to dress themselves in the morning. While driving the other day, I got behind a young woman, who was driving a rather junky looking chevy. She was clearly not paying attention.
She was on the cell phone, and futzing with something, or maybe someone, in the car. She drifts way over to the right, and puts the passenger tires up on the sidewalk! Then, off the sidewalk, and she swerves back and forth several times. There were two other young-ish females in the back seat, and it looked like they all burst in to laughter.
Yep, totally funny.

There is another one I see when I drive up 128 in the morning, usually twice per week. This guy's weapon of choice is a Jeep Gran Cherokee. He cuts in and out, using the horn
with great relish, before he finally makes into the far left lane, and floors it. Lovely cloud of blue smoke emerges. More testosterone then grey cells, I guess. And I'm thinking,
why, oh why, can't a statie come along right now? (Here in MA, we refer to the state police as "The Staties") This nitwit clearly needs to be pulled over and given a good dressing down.

Not just driving, but lots of other stuff as well.

You need to unwind. I'd suggest some nice, Foreign Films. Foreign Films explore the depth of the human soul. Here is one I think you'll enjoy.

Nice! I enjoy a good movie.
Old 06-06-13, 05:46 PM

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1069 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 505 Posts
After reading your sad story I remembered I had to go to UPS and ship my pants. On the way some big gas truck driven by this big gas truck driving lady cut me off. After evasive action I continued without a problem because I learned almost 50 years ago to expect the unexpected at all times not only when driving but with life-itself. Not being caught in some time-warp due to old age I just let stuff roll off my back like a duck in water.

Learn to let things slide and you will feel better. Trust me as I know what I'm talking about because I slept in a Holiday Inn Express once.
Old 06-06-13, 05:48 PM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 644 Times in 365 Posts
Keep in mind that half of all drivers on the road possess below average driving skills.
Old 06-06-13, 06:07 PM

Bikes: Raleigh Port Townsend, Raleigh Tourist

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Pamestique
I don't think your rant is limited to us old folks... everyone is affected and it ain't gonna get better.... when I retire (IF!) I plan on moving somewhere where the town has only one stop light and traffic is light.
Stop light? Why would you want to move to the big city?
Old 06-06-13, 06:33 PM

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3278 Post(s)
Liked 2,117 Times in 1,194 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
Keep in mind that half of all drivers on the road possess below average driving skills.
Really ?. That would mean that half possesses above average driving skills. I can only assume all those people live in Germany. They do not reside in the NYC metro area.

In all seriousness, this thread got me thinking about my car commute. 32 years on the job (still working), Long Island to Brooklyn, 25 miles ea. way, roughly 10,000 miles per year commuting. I have yet to see everything imaginable for two reasons. 1) I keep seeing things happen that I never could believe could happen and 2) It get worse every year, which somewhat explains #1.

Brooklyn in particular has residents from every country on the planet. I think it's the only area/city in the US (possibly in the world if National Geographic is to be believed) that can lay claim to that, thus the driving "techniques" of the residents, not only in Brooklyn but also in the surrounding metro area, are challenging. Enough so that my wife and I found Rome to be a breeze in a car. Italians are actually good drivers, crazy as that seems. New Yorkers are not, or at least maybe they are but choose not to display their skills, instead tend to display their total disdain and lack of social respect for others, choosing the car as the method of choice to indicate their total hatred of everybody impertinent enough attempt to share a highway with them.

I hear that NY does not have the worst traffic congestion in the country. We're like # 4 or some such. I cannot imagine anyplace worse.

My wife commented about 20 or so years or so ago to let go the anger towards other motorists doing stupid things. "You'll have forgotten them in 5 minutes, so why bother". Good advice, though after 300,000 + miles later the well of patience seems to be completely dry at times.
Old 06-06-13, 09:54 PM

Bikes: Ancient Conglomeration, new one being built

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I drove I-15 to I-94 in San Diego for years and can't count the number of times I locked em up to avoid contact. 25 years ago I found the solution. I moved to Washington. The drivers aren't any better, but there are fewer of them and they're further apart. Good Luck.
Old 06-06-13, 10:26 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by lenA
All the other drivers are idiots, they're either going too fast or too slow
This looks like the place for this wonderful song I heard on CarTalk way-back-when:

Old 06-06-13, 11:12 PM

Bikes: n + 1

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Dudelsack
They come with Velcro sticky tape that you can mount them on.
I'll go with something else. Don't want to put sticky tape on my Lexus hybrid dashboard. That car has to last me for a long time and I don't want to mess it up, if at all possible. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 06-07-13, 04:45 AM
Banned

Bikes: 2011 Surly LHT 2005 LeMond Zurich

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
Isn't that George Carlin? All of the drivers going faster than me are maniacs and all of the ones going more slowly than me are idiots.
I don't know, but I miss George.
Old 06-07-13, 04:51 AM
Banned

Bikes: 2011 Surly LHT 2005 LeMond Zurich

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by steve0257
Stop light? Why would you want to move to the big city?
There are plenty of 'counties' around Rochester, MN that don't have a stop light....We have one in my county, fairly recent, but I'm getting used to it.
Old 06-07-13, 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by Steve B.
Really ?. That would mean that half possesses above average driving skills. I can only assume all those people live in Germany. They do not reside in the NYC metro area.
Then in your case it gets even worse: Fully half the drivers in NYC have below average driving skills FOR THE AREA.
Old 06-07-13, 07:44 AM
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Just remember tho what many perceive as grumpyness in old people is our tendency to make pointed statements. But the thing to remember is the fact that we have many decades to form our opinions. We have learned by trial and error. We have found for instance that peeing into the wind just gets us wet. When we see a youngster peeing into the wind and getting wet we just laugh. The youngster gets mad and calls us know it all old farts.
Old 06-07-13, 07:57 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
Just remember tho what many perceive as grumpyness in old people is our tendency to make pointed statements. But the thing to remember is the fact that we have many decades to form our opinions. We have learned by trial and error. We have found for instance that peeing into the wind just gets us wet. When we see a youngster peeing into the wind and getting wet we just laugh. The youngster gets mad and calls us know it all old farts.
Perhaps we wouldn't get called old farts if we didn't laugh...
Old 06-07-13, 08:01 AM
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
It makes a lot more sense to educate a youngster than to laugh at them, that is why I taught school for years.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 06-08-13, 07:23 AM
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
It is a better education is a person learns by doing. When that youngster finds out that every time he pees into the wind he get wet, sooner or later he will be self taught that peeing into the wind is not the thing to do.
Old 06-08-13, 11:03 AM
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Fail, If I can educate a person on how not to get wet I have done much more than laughing at them for a mistake.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 06-08-13, 12:21 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by qcpmsame
Fail, If I can educate a person on how not to get wet I have done much more than laughing at them for a mistake.

Bill
But not as fun to watch.
Old 06-08-13, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by rydabent
When we see a youngster peeing into the wind and getting wet we just laugh. The youngster gets mad and calls us know it all old farts.
After my next to last ride I was in pretty bad shape, so bad that Mrs. Grouch had to drive us home.. Mrs. Grouch and I went into Culvers to buy lunch. I poured my lemon aid, but I couldn't get the top to fit right. I spilled lemon aid all over. A nearby woman laughed. She got to see just how grouchy retro can get.

Laughing at people who are already having a bad time isn't cool.
Old 06-09-13, 11:17 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for "Grandpa's Advice". My grands call me Grumpa. Bet you can't guess where that comes from. Just let me get on my bike and do my own thing at the end of the day and all is OK.

Last edited by Blues Frog; 06-10-13 at 03:22 AM.
Old 06-09-13, 02:14 PM

Bikes: '06 Bianchi Pista; '57 Maclean; '10 Scott CR1 Pro; 2005 Trek 2000 Tandem; '09 Comotion Macchiato Tandem; 199? Novara Road; '17 Circe Helios e-tandem:1994 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 62 Posts
Originally Posted by Biker395
Of course ... by definition. But:

(1) Even 2 seconds is not enough when the person in front of you slams on the brakes from 70 MPH with zero warning. You're assuming I was following closer than that, and I wasn't. Presumably you saw brake lights, so there was warning

(2) Try driving through Los Angeles on the 405 sometime and maintaining a 2 second distance. It ain't easy. Why. It's perfectly simple in any kind of traffic/speed. If others get in the gap, drop back. It's not a race.

(3) Regardless the person that dropped the item is still obviously the primary cause of the crash.True, but a driver should always be prepared for the unexpected I'm quite certain the insurance company would have gone after them for the damage to all of the cars, should they have been identified.Identified? Most licence plates are illegible beyond about 20 feet. Unlike the rest of the world where they are legible from at least 25 yards! In fact that used to be part of the driving test in the UK: to be able to read a licence plate from 25 yards (75 feet)
Here's some info from the UK Highway Code regarding braking distances https://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum.../dg_188029.pdf

The basic problem in the US, compared with the many other countries I've driven in, is the lackadaisical approach to driving: one hand on the steering wheel, phoning, texting, fiddling with something beside you, looking at yourself in the mirror, no signals, eating and drinking, reading, random lane changing, no lane discipline etc, etc. In fact anything apart from paying full attention to driving. It's no wonder the US has one of the highest number of traffic fatalities per 100,000 miles driven than most other developed countries. And what is it due to? Poor training, easy tests and lack of commonsense.
Old 06-09-13, 02:53 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Artmo
Here's some info from the UK Highway Code regarding braking distances https://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum.../dg_188029.pdf

The basic problem in the US, compared with the many other countries I've driven in, is the lackadaisical approach to driving: one hand on the steering wheel, phoning, texting, fiddling with something beside you, looking at yourself in the mirror, no signals, eating and drinking, reading, random lane changing, no lane discipline etc, etc. In fact anything apart from paying full attention to driving. It's no wonder the US has one of the highest number of traffic fatalities per 100,000 miles driven than most other developed countries. And what is it due to? Poor training, easy tests and lack of commonsense.
Very true
Old 06-09-13, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by Lightingguy
Very true
Possibly, but I'm not so sure. I want to see the source data for that.

It's been a loooong time since I had the motivation to compare US traffic fatalities per 1,000 miles to countries in western Europe. Back then, we were among the very best and our fatality rate has seriously dropped since then.
Old 06-09-13, 03:55 PM

Oops. Turns out I was wrong. I only checked North America and Western Europe. UK is 3.5, US is 12.3. Sweden was the best of the countries I checked at 2.9. Greece was the worst at 14.4.
Old 06-09-13, 04:04 PM

Bikes: all steel stable: surly world troller, paris sport fixed, fuji ss

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.