Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   A Fixie for Seniors? (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/895129-fixie-seniors.html)

BluesDawg 06-12-13 07:13 PM

Many of the comments against riding fixed gear bikes seem to come from the viewpoint that it is an either/or decision. Having a fixed gear bike does not require you to sell all your geared bikes and sign a blood oath to only ride fixed. While I am sure there are people who exclusively ride fixed gear, I, like most people I know who have fixed gear bikes, also have bikes with gears that I ride most of the time. I don't really understand the opposition.

Rowan 06-12-13 07:17 PM

The rolling countryside where you live would be ideal for a SS or even a fixed gear, Bill.

You don't have to be really fit for a fixed gear. It comes down to choosing the right gearing, and going from there. It's best to choose a lower gear initially, and change as you get more and more comfortable.

I started with a 39-18 set-up, quickly decided that I wasn't that comfortable with it for the terrain I was riding, and went to a 39-17 that I stuck with for some years. It's only comparatively recently I went to 39-16, and I am still not entirely comfortable with it when climbing, although downhills are easier (we have some decent climbs around here).

One of the beauties of fixed that can be quite difficult to relate, is the "perpetual motion" on the pedals that comes from just riding. There really isn't a dead spot on the pedal stroke, because the bike won't allow you to have one as you would on a SS or geared bike. At least, that is what I feel (others may disagree).

Rowan 06-12-13 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by BluesDawg (Post 15736356)
Many of the comments against riding fixed gear bikes seem to come from the viewpoint that it is an either/or decision. Having a fixed gear bike does not require you to sell all your geared bikes and sign a blood oath to only ride fixed. While I am sure there are people who exclusively ride fixed gear, I, like most people I know who have fixed gear bikes, also have bikes with gears that I ride most of the time. I don't really understand the opposition.

+1

bbeasley 06-12-13 07:48 PM

I've got a Wabi Classic running 44 x 17. Mine's got a flip flop hub that stays on the fixed side unless I'm using it as Paddock transportation. I find riding it as a SS negates all the great road feel it has when fixed. I'm not cool enough to go brakeless, I run front and rear brakes. Love the bike!

The Wabi is based on road bike geometry as opposed to track bike, very comfortable and fast.

http://bobbeasley.com/bikeimages/wabi.jpg

jyl 06-12-13 08:38 PM

I see that Bianchi Pistas are all over CL and fairly affordable. Is that an okay fixie for the street?

CommuteCommando 06-12-13 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver (Post 15735576)

It is just physics... my 21 pound road bike with 14 speeds will destroy my 21 pound track bike that has one speed.

Originally Posted by CommuteCommando (Post 15735360)
. . . On flat ground I can go faster (by about 3-4mph) on the fixed. I attribute this more to geometry (lower aerodynamic profile) than to the fact that it has only one gear.

Yes, like I said. Physics. (Road bike 23 lbs, track bike 19 lbs, not that that make a lot of difference. I'm about 6" lower in the drops on the track bike is the big difference)

trackhub 06-13-13 05:57 PM

Volosong, I am 56, and I've been riding my fixie pretty exclusively since october of 2000, when I got it. It's a Gunnar Street dog, that I had built up at Harris Cyclery.
If you are a cyclist in decent shape, (i.e. you ride on a regular basis) you will not have any problems. Yes there is a learning curve, and it varies from person to person.
You might get sore in a few places where you didn't before, but this passes. Before long, you will probably be doing what I do now: Taking vacation days to go riding.
It is quite addictive. You'll find yourself becoming a better, more fit cyclist because of it.

If it is conversion you want to do, some shops, Harris for one, specialize in doing them, and can guide you through the process if you want to try it yourself. The late, great Sheldon Brown favored 70s road bikes for fixed gear conversions.

Do not fall into that 20-something business about going brakeless! It is foolish and against the law. No idea why they insist on doing this. Making a political statement about the human condition, or some such useless glop.

I run toe clips and straps. No apologies, further discussion not required. A cycling computer? I blow that off too.

My gearing is 42x15. This works out to about 75 inches. This is fine for me, and gets me up the hills I encounter with ease. If you live in very hilly country, you might want to try something lower.

Welcome to the rebel side. :D