Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

No, it wasn't just our imaginations (for those in the midwest and south, anyway)

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

No, it wasn't just our imaginations (for those in the midwest and south, anyway)

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-13, 01:20 PM

Bikes: 2013 Specialized Seceur Elite, Soma ES custom build

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Remember all the whining about no spring this year?

Well, it wasn't just the usual complaining - 2013 ranks as both one of the colder and wetter springs on record, particularly for the upper midwest.

https://www.wunderground.com/news/noa...tates-20130613
Old 06-14-13, 01:41 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Virtually the same over here and Summer is still a question Mark. The jet stream that used to be North of the UK slipped South last year to across southern Europe. North of the stream and it will be wet and South is where the sun should be. The jet stream is currently sitting across Southern Britain and France. All we are getting is Rain-Sun and Wind. Sometimes all at the same time but the wind has been around 25 mph gusting to 50 this week. The rain is almost nothing- just leaves a miserable out look and is not enough to water the garden. But the sun is good- providing you can get out in it with the high winds.

Spike Milligan
Old 06-14-13, 03:00 PM

Bikes: 2013 Specialized Seceur Elite, Soma ES custom build

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, summer isn't shaping up too well over this side of the pond either, Doug.

I'm one of those wussies for whom anything under 75* is cold, and it's been cold a lot lately. Normally we're baking in 80-90 degree heat and high humidity this time of year. IMO that's perfect riding weather!!
Old 06-14-13, 05:13 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve Sawyer
Remember all the whining about no spring this year?

Well, it wasn't just the usual complaining - 2013 ranks as both one of the colder and wetter springs on record, particularly for the upper midwest.

https://www.wunderground.com/news/noa...tates-20130613
So, you're the folks who stole our usual Spring rains and gave us all this unseasonable sunshine. Well, we've been muddling through with all these record-low precipitation numbers. Somehow we are learning to manage with nothing to complain about.
Old 06-14-13, 09:14 PM

Bikes: Fuji Cross Comp, BMC SR02, Surly Krampas

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by B. Carfree
So, you're the folks who stole our usual Spring rains and gave us all this unseasonable sunshine. Well, we've been muddling through with all these record-low precipitation numbers. Somehow we are learning to manage with nothing to complain about.
Yea, usually low mileage due to wet weather, summer not starting till July 5 (always rains the 4th). Dang, with no rain I'm only mowing the yard once a week!
Old 06-14-13, 09:29 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
It has been pretty decent temperature wise in Georgia, though the cool bordered on cold for much longer than normal. We had our first taste of hot and humid earlier this week, but today was milder. We have had much more rain than we've had in many years, but given the years of drought conditions we have gone through, it is hard to complain about that.
Old 06-14-13, 10:15 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
It has been pretty decent temperature wise in Georgia, though the cool bordered on cold for much longer than normal. We had our first taste of hot and humid earlier this week, but today was milder. We have had much more rain than we've had in many years, but given the years of drought conditions we have gone through, it is hard to complain about that.
It seems like just a year or two ago I was reading about the main reservoir that serves Atlanta being nearly dry. It is kind of eerie to have one of the major cities in our country facing a lack of water.
Old 06-14-13, 11:12 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by B. Carfree
It is kind of eerie to have one of the major cities in our country facing a lack of water.
Get used to it.
Old 06-14-13, 11:36 PM
Time for a change.

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
April 2012 and a drought was declared in the south after a couple of years of lack of rain. Resoirvoirs were way down and the below ground sources were almost gone. Within a week it rained and it did not stop till the winter when the Winds came.

So get a drought declared in your dry areas.

Spike Milligan
Old 06-15-13, 04:11 AM

Bikes: '06 Bianchi Pista; '57 Maclean; '10 Scott CR1 Pro; 2005 Trek 2000 Tandem; '09 Comotion Macchiato Tandem; 199? Novara Road; '17 Circe Helios e-tandem:1994 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 61 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve Sawyer
Yeah, summer isn't shaping up too well over this side of the pond either, Doug.

I'm one of those wussies for whom anything under 75* is cold, and it's been cold a lot lately. Normally we're baking in 80-90 degree heat and high humidity this time of year. IMO that's perfect riding weather!!
We had a longer "winter" than normal, but we've not had much rain, apart from what Andrea
left last week. Right now it's 81F (that's 27 in new money, Doug) and the sun's not yet up. It will get to 90F (32C) later and very humid. We're set for a 32-miler at 7.30, then a dip in the pool.
Old 06-15-13, 05:15 AM

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
Get used to it.
+1
Old 06-15-13, 07:34 AM

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
I live in northern lower Michigan "tip of the mitt" and can only say I'm grateful not to be living in the U.P. and that's all I got to say about thaa-at.

It does appear we are heading for a cool/chilly summer, too.
Old 06-15-13, 09:53 AM

Bikes: 1992 Specialized Crossroads (red)

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 19 Posts
From what I've heard, meteorologists are blaming this on the fact that the poles are warming up faster than the rest of the planet, and that's mucking up the jet stream patterns.
Old 06-15-13, 11:46 AM
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Call me contrary, but a cooler summer wouldn't bother me a bit; my extended family has three babies in the mix, another on the way, and EVERYTHING grinds to a halt at about 87F/40% humidity. We have several 'splash pads' in parks around the area (better than the overcrowded pools, IMO, and they're FREE!), and when the weather gets like that, the kids ARE gonna get wet. We've made bike trips out of those....

We had a couple short spurts of summer-like weather, followed by chilly and wet again. It DID interfere with some of the fun I like to have on commutes, what with uncomfortable mornings after little sleep.
Old 06-15-13, 01:10 PM
Time for a change.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Not on the serious weather situation but ride tomorrow and what to wear. Despite saying I would not be doing it--I have a 54 miler starting 60 miles away tomorrow. What is the weather going to be like? No idea. 3 different weather apps say 3 different things. Don't want to take a heavy waterproof if it is not necessary- but the rain promised at midday today on one station means I might need it.

No- one is committing themselves to how the weather will pan out this summer- but it now appears that they are hedging their bets 24 hours ahead aswell.

Spike Milligan
Old 06-15-13, 06:03 PM

Bikes: Trek multi-track 720

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, I usually start riding in Feb or March to get ready for a ride here in Parsons KS that is the last Saturday in April; the day of the ride was wet but not enough to kill the ride. The leading month(s) was cold and damp. I finely broke the bike out this week, partly due to a lack of motivation in the past months and the rest due to the rain and cold (being defined as sub 45 and wet).
Old 06-15-13, 09:55 PM

Bikes: Spec Roubaix, three Fisher Montare, two Pugs

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Locally it's up to 80F (and higher) so my wife has to ride early or late (I'm busted up and can't ride). We had a very late Spring but now it's ungodly hot (83F)....too hot to ride in mid day but luckily it's plenty light out all night so she can ride anytime she wants.