Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

No more Beta Blockers and happy about it.

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-13, 11:58 AM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1746 Post(s)
Liked 1,376 Times in 721 Posts

For the past 3 years I have noticed a decrease in my ability to exert myself for longer periods of time on the bike. Cruising along at 15 mph no problem, but as soon as I start to cruise at 17mph the body would tire out quickly. Forget about pushing for 20 mph or more.
Told the doc to change the meds away from bets blockers to something else. That something else is Diovan. It has taken two weeks for the change to be felt, but today I rode like it was 3 years ago! Nice to have legs again.
Old 06-26-13, 12:47 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I was put on Beta Blockers after the bypass and I found that by altering the time I took the damn things- I could still get the HR up to sensible levels. Initially I could not get above 130 and it felt like 165 (My max at the time) No problem as I rode on a heart monitor and if I kept the HR down to 120 I could ride all day- even if it was slow. Approach 130 and not much gain in speed but boy did I have to work hard. Had a chat to the doc and I started taking the BB the night before a ride and one immediately afterwards. Worked so well that 12 weeks after the bypass I did a ride in which I did get the hr up to 165 and I definitely felt shattered. Took a long time for the HR to get back to 100 but the ride was done and back to the docs to get off them. Cut back to 1/2 pill for a month and then 1/4 for two months. Apparently you cannot just come off the things overnight so if you want to stop taking them- talk to the doctor.

Spike Milligan
Old 06-26-13, 01:31 PM

Bikes: KHS Alite 500, Trek 7.2 FX , Masi Partenza, Masi Fixed Special, Masi Cran Criterium

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by stapfam
and I started taking the BB the night before a ride and one immediately afterwards.
I was having trouble remembering to take my mid day pill, and told the docs this so was put on lostartan, which is a one a day. I take it and all my meds before bed. I have hit 170 a couple of times with no distress. Doc told me to stay this side of 190, and stop if there is any chest pain.
Old 06-26-13, 03:26 PM

Doc told me to cut dosage of beta blocker in half for a week before switching to the other stuff. I tried for two days, but had terrible blood pressure headaches and couldn't sleep from the heart beating the heck out of itself at night. He told me go full on with the replacement meds and all has been well since.
I don't understand how beta blockers work other than they block transmission of certain nerve signals or something. Medicine is really powerful.
Old 06-26-13, 06:43 PM

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
Yeah, you aren't supposed to quit them cold-turkey. I am on them for pre ventricular contractions and want to get off. I think I will see about tapering it off to /2 dose each day.
Old 06-26-13, 07:09 PM

Bikes: motorized cruiser,& Mtn bike & Folder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CommuteCommando
I was having trouble remembering to take my mid day pill, and told the docs this so was put on lostartan, which is a one a day. I take it and all my meds before bed. I have hit 170 a couple of times with no distress. Doc told me to stay this side of 190, and stop if there is any chest pain.
i had problems with Losartan... i'd keep the HR in 130-140 range when working out. i can do 150 for short bursts but start hurting if i go that high for long. i started juicing and was able to cut dose back, until i went back to trucking and lost my exercise habit
Old 06-26-13, 10:02 PM

Bikes: KHS Alite 500, Trek 7.2 FX , Masi Partenza, Masi Fixed Special, Masi Cran Criterium

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by cuzzinit
i had problems with Losartan... i'd keep the HR in 130-140 range when working out. i can do 150 for short bursts but start hurting if i go that high for long. i started juicing and was able to cut dose back, until i went back to trucking and lost my exercise habit
I had a recent echo cardiogram, and the cardiologist cleared me for 160, with brief bursts of 170.

My brother was an owner/operator. When he died of cancer in '04 he left a real nice aluminum Cannondale road bike to my sister for her then 11 year old son. His dad sold it and bought a Wally.
Old 06-28-13, 02:15 PM

cuzzinit, I was on Losartin, too. Worked like a charm, but sure made exercise uncomfortable and a challenge. I think it affected my motivation as well.
Today was another great day in the saddle. Seems every day I get a bit stronger and can crank it out just a bit harder and longer than the day before. Sure feels good to feel normal again.
Old 06-29-13, 09:36 AM
rck

Bikes: cannondale 400st, dean el diente, specialized hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
I was on a beta blocker briefly, however, it dropped my hr down into the 40's. I normally run in the 50-60's. Now I take a low dose ACE inhibitor and just started a low dose of a diuretic. Both of which kicked my bottom when I started them. It is hard for me to judge the impact on my biking as the difference between slow and slower is pretty slim!