Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Recovery Ride

Old 07-05-13, 08:32 PM
Planemaker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Recovery Ride

What is a recovery supposed to do for you and what does it feel like.

After my 50 mile yesterday the last thing I wanted to do this evening was get on my bike and go for a ride but, I forced myself on the bike expecting the struggle the first half of my normal 20 miles on the MUP since I would be going against a 20+ mph headwind. Not only I did I not struggle on the ride but, I felt great and really enjoyed the ride.
Old 07-06-13, 01:24 AM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
You have those muscles after a long or hard ride that are beginning to tie up. Bruises sometimes but those muscles are seizing. By getting out for an easy ride for around 5 to 10 miles at a lower speed- lower gear and higher cadence- you get those muscles moving again and just the using of those muscles will ease the stiffness out of them.

Gives you time to reflect on the ride that has caused the problems and initially the thought will be never again but by the time the legs and back have got some life back into them you realise you have achieved something and these long rides are fun.

Incidentally it is not the same if it is the butt that has caused the problem. 10 miles standing up all the way will confirm the original thought

Spike Milligan
Old 07-06-13, 01:48 AM
chasm54
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
recovery rides are supposed to aid recovery - duh - by increasing the blood flow to and through the muscles and speeding the process of repair. They also have the effect - for me and many others, at least - of ensuring that one does not suffer from the "dead' feeling that often follows a day off the bike.

But take it easy. Keep the heart rate down and the gears low.