Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

I guess it is that time of life.

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 07-06-13, 11:19 PM
jdon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)

I was just on a working trip to Kelowna BC which is only a 3.5 hour drive to Vancouver which is where I grew up. I went out for a couple of drinks at a local watering hole with some long time friends and found one had a quadruple bypass last year, one had several stints inserted, one had a heart attack today requiring several defibs and just had a 4 stints inserted.

I did two rides on the trip, 220km and 12000 ft vertical. Nearing the summit of the second climb I felt a little dizzy but holy tachycardia. Even the Garmin was showing 220 HR. Saw a doctor in Kelowna have an appointment with a cariologist in Toronto on Monday.

Two years ago I was advised I had less than a 2% chance of a cardiac event in the next 20 years by the Cleveland Clinic. I feel pretty good but seeing my fat friends suffering had me a little spooked!
Old 07-06-13, 11:56 PM
Yo Spiff
Carpe Velo

Bikes: 2000 Bianchi Veloce, '88 Trek 900, '88 Schwinn Prologue, '92 Schwinn Crosscut, '03 Diamondback Tandem, '94 Yokota Grizzly Peak

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
And your friends were probably wondering what your secret is.
Old 07-07-13, 12:34 AM
jdon

Originally Posted by Yo Spiff View Post
And your friends were probably wondering what your secret is.
They were probably wondering what I am still chasing! They have known me as a life long cyclist.
Old 07-07-13, 04:43 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Several years ago, I had lunch with a couple of MD's and the discussion turned to the vissicitudes of life, such as sudden death, and trivial symptoms that are a harbinger of a serious disease. The conclusion of our conversation was that old chestnut to live life every day to the fullest.

As we were leaving, the surgeon, a marathon runner said, "Well, any day with a run in it is a good day for me." I was already a serious cyclist for many years, but it suddenly clicked for me; any day with a ride in it is a good day for me.

Ever since then, I make a definite effort to ride my bike every day and I'm lucky to have a nice year-round cycle commute. Cycling is great that way. It gives you the cardiovascular protective effects, it is a utilitarian transportation modality, and it is a fun way to make it a good day.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 07-07-13 at 04:47 AM.
Old 07-07-13, 11:41 AM
cuzzinit

Bikes: motorized cruiser,& Mtn bike & Folder

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i have a profession that tends to shorten the life span. Watching people around me keeps me motivated to remain active. i like living in a Peterbilt but i don't want to die in one

Last edited by cuzzinit; 07-07-13 at 11:44 AM.
Old 07-07-13, 02:32 PM
Banded Krait

Bikes: Trek Pilot 5.9

Lifestyle makes all the difference. Exercise by itself is not enough--you have to maintain a healthy diet. Since I live near Philadelphia, Pa., I am always reminded of the cautionary tale of local hero, John Kelly, Jr. (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_B._Kelly,_Jr.). Kelly was the brother of Grace Kelly, the actress who later became Princess of Monaco. John Kelly, Jr. followed in his father's footsteps and became a champion sculler. He competed in three Olympics (1948, 1952, and 1956). He won a bronze medal in the 1956 Olympics in Melbourne. One would expect that someone who participated in such a tough cardiovascular sport like rowing would be protected from a heart attack, but one would be wrong. Kelly died of a heart attack in 1985 at the age of 57 while jogging back to The Athletic Club after his customary early morning row on the Schuylkill River in Philadelphia.
Old 07-08-13, 08:32 AM
JerrySTL

Bikes: Giant Defy Advanced, Windsor Tourist

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
I had a heart attack while riding in November 2000 at 46 YO. It probably only happened as I was doing long max effort racing my daughter up a steep hill. During the cardiac cath they had trouble finding the clogged artery as the doctor said my heart looked like a 25 YO's. If was a small, out of the way artery that clogged for some unknown reason and they couldn't even get to it to do a stent. So I live with it.

My cardiologist says that my excellent collateral circulation from exercising probably covered up the problem. She also said that aerobic activity, by itself, probably doesn't prevent heart attacks, but it definitely makes them much more survivable.
Old 07-08-13, 09:23 AM
gwb2407
DuckFan

Bikes: Cannondale Caad9 1, Cannondale Caad9 5, Cannondale Quick CX 1, 1986 Cannondale SR800, 1997 Cannondale F700

Originally Posted by Banded Krait View Post
Lifestyle makes all the difference. Exercise by itself is not enough--you have to maintain a healthy diet.
Jim Fixx (the author of 'The Complete Book of Running'), I think, has to be the poster boy for the importance of a healthy diet, as he mistakenly thought that fitness equated to heart health, and that diet didn't matter as long as you logged enough miles. Clearly, he was wrong. The unfortunate thing with heart disease is that all too often the only warning is a fatal heart attack.
Old 07-08-13, 09:39 AM
Shp4man
Banned

Bikes: 1988 Peugeot PY-10P Frankenbike, 1994 Diamond Back Response Elite MTB. 1964 Schwinn Typhoon. 1977 Peugeot PRN10E, 2003 Performance M-201 MTB dirt rider. 1974 Bridgestone Sprinter, 2015 Scott Sub 10 Citybike.

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1659 Post(s)
Genetics plays a huge role in cancer or heart disease.
Old 07-08-13, 10:05 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Originally Posted by cuzzinit View Post
i have a profession that tends to shorten the life span. Watching people around me keeps me motivated to remain active. i like living in a Peterbilt but i don't want to die in one
Sounds like we share the same profession, and yes, staying healthy is a real challenge.
Do you carry a bike with you?
Old 07-08-13, 10:33 AM
cuzzinit

Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart View Post
Sounds like we share the same profession, and yes, staying healthy is a real challenge.
Do you carry a bike with you?
Yes, i have to much stuff behind the cab to fit my MTB, so i got a folder that rides in the closet. i've ridden it in 4 states so far.... i've seem too many truckers die in their 50's not to mention all the diabetics that i see. That is my motivation to not go out like that. got my LDL down just by paying attention to what i eat, but Blood Pressure is prolly going to be something i watch for the rest of my days.
Old 07-08-13, 11:00 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Yes, i have to much stuff behind the cab to fit my MTB, so i got a folder that rides in the closet. i've ridden it in 4 states so far.... i've seem too many truckers die in their 50's not to mention all the diabetics that i see. That is my motivation to not go out like that. got my LDL down just by paying attention to what i eat, but Blood Pressure is prolly going to be something i watch for the rest of my days.
I carry a full size bike on the upper bunk in a Cascadia. Get 13 more posts, and you can PM.
We can compare cycling trails. I know some good ones, you probably do too.
Old 07-08-13, 11:38 AM
cuzzinit

I carry a full size bike on the upper bunk in a Cascadia. Get 13 more posts, and you can PM.
We can compare cycling trails. I know some good ones, you probably do too.
Yes i'm working on a list..... Can't get Mtb in bunk. Cab and sleeper are separate so opening is small behind seats.

Last edited by cuzzinit; 07-08-13 at 11:41 AM.
Old 07-08-13, 11:51 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Yes i'm working on a list..... Can't get Mtb in bunk. Cab and sleeper are separate so opening is small
Well, that`s one advantage of the modern disposable trucks. Lot`s of room to maneuver and stash stuff.
What area of the continent do you spend most of your time in ?
Old 07-08-13, 12:11 PM
cuzzinit

mid west to northwest or southwest and back. Elogs and new Hours of Service nonsense has really given me time to sit, so having a bike is more for the sanity than the health.
Old 07-08-13, 12:16 PM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Trek 7.4 FX, 5200 & 7700

Quoted: 185 Post(s)
I can't tell when I'm going, but the question does enter my mind from time to time. I guess biking is about one of the best ways to do something about lenghtening our time here on earth. I also try and watch my diet as best I can (that is probably my weak point).
Old 07-08-13, 01:05 PM
Dan Burkhart 

mid west to northwest or southwest and back. Elogs and new Hours of Service nonsense has really given me time to sit, so having a bike is more for the sanity than the health.
The new HOS don't affect me much because I don't often reset on the road. I work 7 on, 7 off, so I'm usually home before I hit 70.
Not on e logs yet, but will be before the year is out.
Spend quite a lot of time in midwest US. Might get hooked up some day.
Sorry to highjack the thread jdon.
Old 07-08-13, 01:28 PM
jdon

The new HOS don't affect me much because I don't often reset on the road. I work 7 on, 7 off, so I'm usually home before I hit 70.
Not on e logs yet, but will be before the year is out.
Spend quite a lot of time in midwest US. Might get hooked up some day.
Sorry to highjack the thread jdon.
I am not a stickler for thread direction. Conversations take many twists! Carry on amigo.
Old 07-08-13, 02:39 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 2273 Post(s)
friend of mine told me if you make it past 55 you're beyond the sudden death risk period
Old 07-08-13, 02:54 PM
Dan Burkhart 

Originally Posted by rumrunn6 View Post
friend of mine told me if you make it past 55 you're beyond the sudden death risk period
Sounds like something he might have read on the internet. Guess it must be true then.
Old 07-08-13, 05:52 PM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Originally Posted by rumrunn6 View Post
Oh great. So you're saying I'll now have some long-suffering, drawn-out affair? Thanks a million.

Celebrated 56 last month. Makes me the first male in three generations on my dad's side of the family to make it past 55 without an MI. I'm not resting on any laurels, since on my mom's side of the family, every male in the last two generations has died from an MI, one as early as 43.

Still, as Jim From Boston suggests, I do my level best to live every day like it's my last.
Old 07-08-13, 05:59 PM
Dan Burkhart 

Originally Posted by jdon View Post
I am not a stickler for thread direction. Conversations take many twists! Carry on amigo.
Thanks. Hope your tests turn out OK.
Old 07-08-13, 06:02 PM
Rowan

Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Quoted: 1243 Post(s)
Originally Posted by gwb2407 View Post
Jim Fixx (the author of 'The Complete Book of Running'), I think, has to be the poster boy for the importance of a healthy diet, as he mistakenly thought that fitness equated to heart health, and that diet didn't matter as long as you logged enough miles. Clearly, he was wrong. The unfortunate thing with heart disease is that all too often the only warning is a fatal heart attack.
Maybe. I think it has more to do with how the person having the heart attack reacts to the symptoms. I had one in my early 40s prior to bike riding. Obviously, it wasn't fatal, but it was a warning.
Old 07-08-13, 06:06 PM
Rowan

Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Quoted: 1243 Post(s)
Originally Posted by JerrySTL View Post
I had a heart attack while riding in November 2000 at 46 YO. It probably only happened as I was doing long max effort racing my daughter up a steep hill. During the cardiac cath they had trouble finding the clogged artery as the doctor said my heart looked like a 25 YO's. If was a small, out of the way artery that clogged for some unknown reason and they couldn't even get to it to do a stent. So I live with it.

My cardiologist says that my excellent collateral circulation from exercising probably covered up the problem. She also said that aerobic activity, by itself, probably doesn't prevent heart attacks, but it definitely makes them much more survivable.
Mine was similar. Just a bit younger but apart from sailing, no significant physical activity at that point. No clear sign of what caused it during the angiogram. No stent. Trivial heart muscle damage. No post-event treatment other than daily aspirin.
Old 07-08-13, 06:40 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston View Post
…Cycling is great that way. It gives you the cardiovascular protective effects, it is a utilitarian transportation modality, and it is a fun way to make it a good day.

Originally Posted by Banded Krait View Post
Lifestyle makes all the difference. Exercise by itself is not enough--you have to maintain a healthy diet…

Originally Posted by TakingMyTime View Post
…I guess biking is about one of the best ways to do something about lenghtening our time here on earth. I also try and watch my diet as best I can (that is probably my weak point).
All things being equal, it's probably better to exercise than not. Personally for me I would likely not find the time or inclination to do other vigorous but inconvenient and mostly boring cardiovascular exercises like running, aerobics, much less sculling, even though cycling is much more time-consuming than others.

Nonetheless, I agree diet is important, and I find that the more I ride, the better I adhere to a healthy diet.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service