Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

chain jamming between derailleur and large chainring

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 07-23-13, 10:33 AM
vhj

Bikes: 1970 Raleigh 10sp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I purchased a 1970 Raleigh 10spd at a LBS in April. They changed the cassette to a 6 making it a 12spd.

On the last ride the chain started jamming between the derailleur and the large chain ring when shifting from the small chain-ring to large chain-ring. This morning I attempted (without good results) to adjust thing. This is a non-clicking old fashion shifting system. It had been working o.k.
Any thoughts on the problem?
Old 07-23-13, 10:44 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Did they also change the chain? If you are moving from a five cog cassette to a 6 cog cassette you may need a different chain. However, that is not likely what is causing your problem. If it is jamming between the derailleur and large chain ring it sounds like an over-shift. I'd take it back to the bike shop and ask them to make the adjustment while you watch. This way, you'll either learn how to make the adjustment yourself or learn that you need to frequent a different LBS.
Old 07-23-13, 12:20 PM
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3571 Post(s)
Liked 3,367 Times in 1,916 Posts
Most modern chains are narrower than the original equipment chains, which exacerbates the adjustment issues NOS88 mentions. Keep your derailleur adjusted and avoid 8 speed or higher chains if at all possible. SRAM makes a decent 7-speed chain that works fine on my bikes.
Old 07-23-13, 12:25 PM
vhj

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I guess some of my concern is it has been fine for 3 months. I'm going to the LBS today and watch what they do.
Old 07-23-13, 02:20 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Had this on the Tandem with a triple and it was combination of two things. Originally it was 8 speed but I changed to 9. Narrower chain on the 9 speed and I did not change the front derailleur. I also changed the granny to a 24 from the 28 fitted. It was the chainring that was the problem. I fitted one out of the spares box and it was steel and quite thin. The chain was not being thrown far enough with the 8 spd derailleur and the thin chain ring allowed to chain to slip between granny and middle. I got a new set of matched chainrings to cure the gap between the rings but still had a problem going from middle to granny. New proper 9 spd derailleur and all cured.

Spike Milligan
Old 07-23-13, 03:02 PM

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1063 Post(s)
Liked 771 Times in 499 Posts
Been a long-long time but kind of remember raising the front der. up a bit along with tweaking the inner guide of the front der. with a channel lock. Put a little twist at the front of the plate towards the chain ring. Of course this was on the Huret or Simplex derailleurs back then.
Old 07-23-13, 03:31 PM

Bikes: '73 Raleigh RRA, 1986 Trek 500 commuter

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts
https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-...ur-adjustments
Old 07-23-13, 08:43 PM

Bikes: Old Bike: 1975 Raleigh Delta, New Bike: 2004 Norco Bushpilot

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by vhj
I purchased a 1970 Raleigh 10spd at a LBS in April. They changed the cassette to a 6 making it a 12spd.

On the last ride the chain started jamming between the derailleur and the large chain ring when shifting from the small chain-ring to large chain-ring. This morning I attempted (without good results) to adjust thing. This is a non-clicking old fashion shifting system. It had been working o.k.
Any thoughts on the problem?
Yeah, I would check two things right away, first of all is the derailleur square to the chainring, I've seen where the derailleur got whacked at some point and it was fine, but changing the freewheel or cassette to one with a different dimension, could cause it from being slightly off to far enough to give issues. Another thing is, the height of the derailleur, from the outside plate of the derailleur to the largest chain ring at the top should be no more then 2-3mm and this gap should be for most of the length, if it's more then this the chain might be jamming in between.
Old 07-24-13, 04:24 AM
vhj

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Took it to LBS and found the cable on the down tube had moved to the outside of some hose clamps I had used to hold a water-holder to the frame. Moved the cable back and spent 20 minutes tweaking the chain-ring derailleur...moving it and bending it. It works o.k., or at least as good as it did.

When I bought this I had them change the drops to a straight bar and move the shifters from the drop tube to the straight bar and they also put on the 6-cassette. Basically the LBS guy working with me yesterday was a different wrencher than the one who had modified the bike originally and was not surprised that I would have some problems with the modifications being fussy.

Riding this morning. I'll see if it works. Thanks for the replies.