Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Tips for Treating Road Rash?

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 07-28-13, 07:12 AM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace, Cannondle Tandem/Ultegra, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 832 Times in 391 Posts

I did a search but couldn't come up with the thread(s) I've seen on here. What's the best proven methods for treating road rash?
Old 07-28-13, 08:02 AM
Blues Frog

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Small bottle of Listerine original. Irrigate the wound with it.
Old 07-28-13, 08:07 AM
Kai Winters

Bikes: Specialized Aethos

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 79 Posts
Clean well...make sure there is no dirt, etc. ground in.
Topical ointments, etc. to help reduce pain and swelling, prevent infections, etc.
Some like to cover it with pads, etc. but even "stick free" stick to some sort and hurt like hell when you pull them off and can take off some of the bodies healing making for a longer heal time.
I've always preferred to use a topical ointment and allowing the air to dry and help the body heal. If I have to cover it I use a stick free pad and change several times a day gently applying ointment until scabbing over covers the wound.

Some have had great luck with the "second skin" type materials...I've used them a time or two with mixed results.

Sleeping is hard for the first few days as the skin can and will stick to the sheets, etc. This is when a light, non stick covering helps a lot.
Showering hurts like hell for the first few days...enjoy the experience lol.

I've sunburn spray with good results as well.
Good luck
Old 07-28-13, 08:11 AM
Dudelsack 
A might bewildered...

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires; Trek/Electra Townie Mega E bike.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 32 Posts
Yep. Have someone look at the wound with a magnifying glass and make sure all particulate matter is cleaned out, or it will be tattoo'd into you. It probably won't feel good.

Old 07-28-13, 08:19 AM
chasm54
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...rash-question)

Here's the thread you were looking for.
Old 07-28-13, 04:23 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace, Cannondle Tandem/Ultegra, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Thank you!! Most helpful. My goodness that stuff was expensive but hopefully it will heal up without complications.
Old 07-28-13, 04:35 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 641 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 211 Posts
Originally Posted by Blues Frog View Post
Small bottle of Listerine original. Irrigate the wound with it.
Yikes! That stuff is probably injurious to raw tissue, like rubbing alcohol or hydrogen peroxide, and could actually slow down the healing process.
Old 07-28-13, 04:42 PM
NOS88

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
So, is there a story behind the question?
Oops! I read this thread before the other one.

Heal quickly.
Old 07-28-13, 04:54 PM
mike

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Wash the wound with soap and water. Of course, remove all grit, dirt, and debris

The very best ointment is Cuticura if you can find it. Otherwise, any good triple antibiotic ointment or A&D Ointment

Cover wound with large patch bandage or guaze and tape. large thin feminine napkins work OK too, if that is all you can find.
Old 07-28-13, 05:02 PM
Notgrownup

Bikes: Trek Madone 2.1

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you can find a 3M Tegaderm Plus Pad to cover the site, put a little ointment to keep moist and cover it with the Tegaderm... leave it alone for a few days, With the Tegaderm you can shower with it....I work for a medical Supply dist. We do a lot of wound care kits...
Old 07-28-13, 05:36 PM
Clawed

Bikes: Focus Cayo Evo , Cannondale Adventure

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I always just rub it against the warm flesh of the opposite sex. Kiss it make it better.

Alcohol helps.

Repeat as necessary.
Old 07-28-13, 08:09 PM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 20 Posts
Time
Old 07-28-13, 11:07 PM
t4mv
ES&D

Bikes: 3Rensho, Merlin XL, Melton custom, Michael Johnson tandem, Look 481SL, Pedal Force RS

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, I like the Tegaderm(tm) or colloidal patches. Clean it out, slap it on and let if fall off on its own. When it eventually does fall off, you should see nice, new, pink flesh, and hopefully no spiffy scar to go with it, unless you lost chunks on your crash.
Old 07-29-13, 01:48 AM
freedomrider1

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not to change the subject,but i have been wondering if i should get a tetanus shot if an such a incident would occur.Its been awhile i since i had one.
Old 07-29-13, 03:28 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked 628 Times in 403 Posts
Last year's major road rash was treated with slobbering on HONEY after thorough cleaning by our Dr. when I went to her after crash at Rev3 70.3 Triathlon in Venice, FL. Also applied it into hole caused by wedding ring gouging into finger and hole opened up in elbow area both of which the DR. at medical tent said needed stitches to close and told me to get to ER-ASAP. No puss or scabs formed at all.

Originally Posted by freedomrider1 View Post
Not to change the subject,but i have been wondering if i should get a tetanus shot if an such a incident would occur.Its been awhile i since i had one.
Every 10 years a booster shot recommended by CDC
Old 07-29-13, 04:51 AM
Notgrownup

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We are selling Honey dressing now but it is Manuka Honey ..It has good antimicrobial properties as well as silver dressings...For road rash i would rather put a little nesporin or bacitracin, cover it amd leave it alone...
Old 07-29-13, 10:01 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 814 Post(s)
Liked 1,151 Times in 380 Posts
+1 on the Tegaderm. Miraculous stuff, and worth every penny.

Old 07-29-13, 01:24 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

There is no more Tegaderm to be found on my side of town. I own it all now!
Old 07-29-13, 02:01 PM
VNA

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
If a relatively serious road rash(s) go to the emergency room: they will brush it or them off with antibiotic soap and all!!!

They may give you a mild sedative or pain killer!
Old 07-29-13, 03:08 PM
NealH

Bikes: S-Works Tarmac

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry to hear about the spill Joe, but I guess its inevitable if you're going to ride. Fortunately, this wasn't as bad as it could have been.

I wanted to ride that Shenandoah event but it conflicted with the Roan event (seems to do it every year), which we skipped this weekend due to rain. To make up for it though, as long as the forecast stays positive I have just decided to head to Monterey this weekend for the Mountain Mama event. The 15 or 20 mile trek through Blue Grass valley alone is probably worth the trip.

Again, I am glad you did not get hurt any worse. Crashes are never pleasant. Good thing your bike fared well also. Hope to see you soon on one of the upcoming events. Am planning to ride the Blue Ridge Breakaway this year if they have enough ridable roads that have not been washed out. Mid August, well that's about the time you should be saddled up and riding again.

Last edited by NealH; 07-29-13 at 03:12 PM.
Old 07-29-13, 04:12 PM
Notgrownup

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If the site is draining then i would get a foam dressing or Hydrocolloid type would be better... The dressing you choose depends if the wound is , Dry, open, draining or necroitic (scabby)...this would also determine what you would or not apply to this wound... Curad alos makes anice big bandaid that is like Tegaderm... I have tegaderm rolls at home it works great... I keep it around.
Old 07-29-13, 04:23 PM
Pamestique 
Shredding Grandma!

Bikes: I don't own any bikes

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Everyone had great suggestions... all I can say, from my various trips (at least 6) visits to the emergency ER - this is what occurred.

The nurse took a scrubby, like a scouring pad, used betadine and went at the road rash area like cleaning a dirty pot - scouring off loose bits of skin whatever. Really hurt! Then the wound was thoroughly cleanse with saline solution. The site was allowed to dry and then a sterile gauze bandage (made for wounds) was applied, no topical ointment or anything else. I was told to change out the bandage as long as the wound bled but once it stopped I was to not cover it at all. It was important for a scab to form. I was to watch for bits of infection and try to keep the site clean. If there is some pussiness, use hydrogen Peroxide. Otherwise, nature does a pretty good job of healing all on its own. The main thing is the cleaning part. The "hurty" part is also the cleaning part.

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.
Old 07-29-13, 04:29 PM
osco53
Old Fart In Training

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by freedomrider1 View Post
Ask your doctor,, a real Doctor..XD

Last time I asked mine he said 10 years is along time,, he stuck me, I left, prolly need another...
Old 07-29-13, 04:38 PM
freedomrider1

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok,thanks
Old 07-29-13, 06:40 PM
Notgrownup

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Most doctors surprisingly don't know a whole lot about wound care...they know how to patch you up but when it comes time to actually care for the wound they suck... Wound ostomy nurses now that is another story... We have 3 that work for us and they know their stuff...I always ask them questions and they depend on me to get them the proper products...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.