Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Regional 50+ Ride September - Glenwood Springs, CO - Declare your Interest

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-13, 08:40 AM
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts

KISS - Keep It Simple Folks

September 2014 - not this year!!

My suggestion would be to choose a Saturday in September with a ride from GS to Aspen and return on the Rio Grande Trail - about 85 miles - for whoever wants to join. We would all meet at a mutual location - likely 5 miles out of town towards Aspen and each could ride as far as they desired and return or something similar. That could be preceded by and followed by a dinner in one of Glenwood Springs fine restaurants - there are several. I am suggesting September because it will be cooler and likely the leaves will be changing.

There are lots of motels in Glenwood - many. Each person makes their own reservations, etc. and stays where they like.

Lots of other things to do in Glenwood

The beautiful Glenwood Canyon bike trail - this trail follows the Glenwood section of I-70, considered one of the engineering wonders of the modern world. But, you don't feel close to the cars as the trail generally is removed. One can continue on roads and trails - well, actually, all the way to Dillon and further, if one was Superman.

The world's largest outdoor hot springs pool.

Hiking - i.e., the beautiful Hanging Lake

Caverns, fishing - you name it.

So, if interested, declare that here. I want to keep organizational requirements to an absolute minimum.

Last edited by DnvrFox; 08-17-13 at 08:49 AM.
Old 08-17-13, 09:30 AM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 644 Times in 365 Posts
What's wrong with just doing it, Denver?

We only got 39 responses from the poll. That's not very many considering the area they are spread among. In other words, we're not in competition with one another. Just pick a week end to do a ride that you might do anyway, publicize it and see how the chips fall. The worst that can happen is you'll decide it wasn't enough fun to do over again.
Old 08-17-13, 10:14 AM

Bikes: Sam, The Hunq and that Old Guy, Soma Buena Vista, Giant Talon 2, Brompton

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch

We only got 39 responses from the poll. That's not very many considering the area they are spread among. In other words, we're not in competition with one another. Just pick a week end to do a ride that you might do anyway, publicize it and see how the chips fall. The worst that can happen is you'll decide it wasn't enough fun to do over again.

Makes sense to me.

Marc
Old 08-18-13, 11:16 AM

Bikes: Rawlings Drakkar, Specialized Roubaix, Pivot, Challenge Trike, Tandem

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sounds like fun. Will ride it. I am recovering from a broken ankle. Would have to turn around early.
Old 08-18-13, 11:20 AM
Banned.

Originally Posted by Retro Grouch

Well, I really don't want to show up by myself. At least a couple of other folks. And, I would want to know in advance, as I likely would not travel about 3 hours to get there if we weren't having a ride.

In any event, if my wife joined us, she would only be able to do a short ride, and we would probably spend about 3 days there doing the trail in segments, joining the ??group?? at the start of the "official" ride.
Old 08-18-13, 03:05 PM
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1397 Post(s)
Liked 1,336 Times in 842 Posts
Sounds interesting -- I think I have mentioned that my maternal grandparents grew up in New Castle, and my grandmother's first job as an RN was in Glenwood Springs.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 08-18-13, 04:22 PM
Banned.

Originally Posted by CHAS
Sounds like fun. Will ride it. I am recovering from a broken ankle. Would have to turn around early.
We are looking at September 2014.
Old 08-18-13, 07:41 PM
Council of the Elders

Bikes: 1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I've said I'd go to GWS again and I still would have an interest. Like Volosong below, the September timeframe is problematic until I retire. Not impossible though and I do appreciate the reasons for it in terms of temps.

Last edited by billydonn; 08-25-13 at 09:37 AM.
Old 08-18-13, 08:00 PM

Bikes: '05 Salsa La Raza, '13 Aluboo (bamboo) SS, '12 DaVinci Grand Junction tandem

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was about to say "I'm going to be really tied up in September", but for September 2014, sure, I'll clear my calendar for it :-) Sounds like fun. I've never been on either the Rio Grande trail or the Glenwood Canyon bike path. If I convince my wife, we'll bring the tandem.
Old 08-24-13, 02:12 PM

Location: Pennsylvania and Colorado - Snowbird with bad sense of direction & humor... Retired now Ski Bum... My Ride - Montague - Paratrooper

Bikes: Montague - Paratrooper

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Interested.

1st week of Sept
or so. Much later I'm eastbound for Fall activities.
Old 08-24-13, 06:26 PM

Bikes: n + 1

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 15 Posts
I was excited when I started reading the original post. Glenwood Springs is beautiful. My brother had a ranch outside Silt for quite awhile, (got fed up with CO politics and moved to AZ). "Neat", I was thinking. I'd drive to the Western Slope for a group ride. Then, I saw that the proposed date is September. Rats! Can't do that as I teach part time and classes usually start in mid-August.

Oh well. I'll be retired soon enough, then can participate in cool rides.
Old 08-24-13, 07:11 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
I would be interested as well.
Old 08-25-13, 04:00 PM

Bikes: 2011 ICE Sprint Special Edition

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 66 Posts
I'll put in a firm MAYBE, would love to get up there again but we'd have to rent a car, etc. With a years notice, maybe. I don't think my wife or I could do 85 miles in a day so we might just come back with your Misses!

Old 08-25-13, 04:40 PM
Banned.

Originally Posted by bjjoondo
I'll put in a firm MAYBE, would love to get up there again but we'd have to rent a car, etc. With a years notice, maybe. I don't think my wife or I could do 85 miles in a day so we might just come back with your Misses!
My fervent hope is that, while we all may start at the same time, some will go fast, some will go slow and talk or take pictures, some will go short distance, some long, and we can all get together for dinner and discuss our rides and whatever. And that will make everyone happy!!

Last time we all stayed at the Caravan Inn - not a fnacy place, but adequate. Nothing is really cheap in Glenwood, but rates should be down a bit for September.
Old 08-25-13, 09:25 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
I am definitely interested. I have hard enough time planning a month in advance, so whether I'll be able to do this a year from now, who knows?
Old 08-26-13, 03:17 AM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Specialized Diverge, Volagi Liscio, LHT, Trek 1.2

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
My fervent hope is that, while we all may start at the same time, some will go fast, some will go slow and talk or take pictures, some will go short distance, some long, and we can all get together for dinner and discuss our rides and whatever. And that will make everyone happy!!

Last time we all stayed at the Caravan Inn - not a fnacy place, but adequate. Nothing is really cheap in Glenwood, but rates should be down a bit for September.
I'm down. I'll probably just pedal out there. I've been doing a September ride for the last few years, so this could blend in nicely. This year I'm hitching a ride out to Astoria OR and cycling home.
Old 08-26-13, 09:53 AM
Shredding Grandma!

Bikes: I don't own any bikes

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I am seriously interested. Would make an interesting vacation for me. I have the date on the 2014 calendar and hopefully there will be reminders along the way...

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.
Old 08-27-13, 01:11 PM

Bikes: Sam, The Hunq and that Old Guy, Soma Buena Vista, Giant Talon 2, Brompton

I would like to be on this ride, but it will depend on some other pending commitments for September next year. We'll wait and see.

Marc
Old 08-27-13, 02:57 PM
Shredding Grandma!

Bikes: I don't own any bikes

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
So if I can come, is anyone else interested in trying out some mountain biking as well? Lots of trails nearby...

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.
Old 08-27-13, 05:15 PM
Banned.

If anyone desires to make this an extended vacation, there are numerous paved bike trails in the area - Summit County has 40+ miles along the Blue River, Ten Mile Creek, over Vail Pass into Eagle County, all through Vail and following the Eagle River, which joins the Colorado River at Dotsero, etc. Also, there is the Grand Mesa, Colorado National Monument (a challenging ride with cliffs on the side), Rocky Mountain National Park with Trail Ridge Road - the highest through highway in the US of A, Mt. Evans (ask tsl) Aspen $$$, Maroon Belles, back country hiking, the Colorado Trail which goes about 470 miles from Denver to Durango, Ouray, Silverton, the narrow gauge Durango-Silverton Railway which goes through spectacular scenery following the Animas River - and that's just the start!!
Old 08-28-13, 12:58 AM

Bikes: Pacific Reach, Strida

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sounds really fun, though I have no idea if I will be able to make an event that's over a year away, especially one that involves traveling 1200 miles. I haven't seen Glenwood Springs in about 30 years!
Old 08-28-13, 01:12 AM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I probably will be in CO in Sept 2014, if no more snakes bite. In an ideal world I would take both my road and mountain bikes up to somewhere and spend a few days using both. But, if I know specific dates and locations early enough to buy airfare before I have to compete with rich tourists I can do most anything, unless I unduly risk the body that is.
Old 08-28-13, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by Pamestique
So if I can come, is anyone else interested in trying out some mountain biking as well? Lots of trails nearby...
There again,If I can attend, I will be up for some MTB trails.

Marc
Old 08-28-13, 09:00 AM

Bikes: Road Bikes: 2014 Giant Propel Advanced 1; 1989 Klein Quantum, 2013 Giant Defy 2, & Mountain Bike: 2013 Cannondale Six

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I am very interested. My wife doesn't do long rides, but would enjoy a shorter ride. We will probably incorporate a vacation to Estes Park, and need to figure out how to transport our bikes on Southwest airlines.
Old 09-01-13, 06:48 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
I would be up for this. I live in Grand Junction and this would be a nice ride and chance to meet some folks. And Fox is right, a ride of the Colorado National Monument would be a nice side trip for some folks. It is great in September. (I'm leaving in about 30 minutes to ride it this morning). Hope the September 2014 ride happens.