Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Strange encounter last night.

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-13, 09:34 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts

On my ride last night I had a strange encounter with a pedestrion. I was going down a hill, not to fast 20mph+/-, and there was a barefoot, middle aged, woman standing along the side of the road. This road has no shoulder, nor sidewalks. I'm just to the right of the right tire track. I see the woman ahead, and she sees me. As I approach I move slightly left towards the center of the road. As I get closer still she takes a step into the road. This cause my heart to jump a bit as I became aware that she might just step in front of me for some reason, and there was little time left for me to react. Thankfully she didn't. It was the oddest thing that has happened to me in a long time.
She seemed to be a bit, off. What ever isues she has, I wish her well.
Old 08-22-13, 10:09 AM
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
A uncertain percentage of the population has behavior problems. I see it every day.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 08-22-13 at 11:01 AM.
Old 08-22-13, 10:10 AM

Bikes: Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Pets, wild animals, children and pedestrians are unpredictable. Glad you didn't have an accident.
Old 08-22-13, 10:34 AM

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
I just finished reading a book by Temple Grandin, a high functioning autistic woman who is also a collage professor. Autistic people have difficulty processing all sorts of input from touch, light, auditory and all the ways the brain receives input and attempts to deal with reality. What was a surprise to me is the number of people so affected in major or minor ways. For example, some autistic people don't here hard consonants such as the letters c, p or b and therefore miss much of what is spoken and may thus appear stupid or unable to engage with others. So many steps have to go right in producing a normal person it is sort of surprising so many are normal or near normal.
Old 08-22-13, 11:49 AM

Bikes: KHS Alite 500, Trek 7.2 FX , Masi Partenza, Masi Fixed Special, Masi Cran Criterium

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
I read somewhere that that there are some who think Dr. Livingston of "Dr Livingston I presume" fame had Asperger Syndrome.
Old 08-22-13, 12:57 PM

Bikes: Kestrel Talon SL, Surly Steamroller, Equipe SS/FG Beater

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by berner
I just finished reading a book by Temple Grandin, a high functioning autistic woman who is also a collage professor. Autistic people have difficulty processing all sorts of input from touch, light, auditory and all the ways the brain receives input and attempts to deal with reality. What was a surprise to me is the number of people so affected in major or minor ways. For example, some autistic people don't here hard consonants such as the letters c, p or b and therefore miss much of what is spoken and may thus appear stupid or unable to engage with others. So many steps have to go right in producing a normal person it is sort of surprising so many are normal or near normal.
It would be difficult to define 'normal' since even those that are thought to be 'normal' are irrational at times.
Old 08-22-13, 01:00 PM
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1349 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
Originally Posted by leob1
On my ride last night I had a strange encounter with a pedestrion. I was going down a hill, not to fast 20mph+/-, and there was a barefoot, middle aged, woman standing along the side of the road. This road has no shoulder, nor sidewalks. I'm just to the right of the right tire track. I see the woman ahead, and she sees me. As I approach I move slightly left towards the center of the road. As I get closer still she takes a step into the road. This cause my heart to jump a bit as I became aware that she might just step in front of me for some reason, and there was little time left for me to react. Thankfully she didn't. It was the oddest thing that has happened to me in a long time.
She seemed to be a bit, off. What ever isues she has, I wish her well.
She probably thought the same of you.

Old 08-23-13, 03:09 PM

Bikes: '06 Bianchi Pista; '57 Maclean; '10 Scott CR1 Pro; 2005 Trek 2000 Tandem; '09 Comotion Macchiato Tandem; 199? Novara Road; '17 Circe Helios e-tandem:1994 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 60 Posts
Wouldn't it have been prudent to ask if she needed help? The next vehicle might have been a truck.
Old 08-23-13, 03:14 PM
Just a person on bike

Bikes: 2015 Trek 1.1, 2021 Specialized Roubaix, 2022 Tern HSD S+

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts
Originally Posted by Artmo
Wouldn't it have been prudent to ask if she needed help? The next vehicle might have been a truck.
I thought of the same thing. Her being barefoot makes me wonder if she was a victim of an assault who escaped and needed help.

The value of your life doesn't change based on the way you travel. - Dawn Schellenberg (SDOT)
Old 08-23-13, 03:46 PM

Bikes: Fuji, Specialized, Surly, BMC

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
She probably thought the same of you.
+1
Old 08-23-13, 05:00 PM

Bikes: '06 Bianchi Pista; '57 Maclean; '10 Scott CR1 Pro; 2005 Trek 2000 Tandem; '09 Comotion Macchiato Tandem; 199? Novara Road; '17 Circe Helios e-tandem:1994 Trek 2300

Originally Posted by daihard
I thought of the same thing. Her being barefoot makes me wonder if she was a victim of an assault who escaped and needed help.
My thought was mental illness. In any case, she probably needed help. A 911 call if nothing else.
Old 08-23-13, 08:21 PM
Roadkill

Bikes: 2002 Lightspeed Classic; 2010 Pedalforce RS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Barefoot, staggering - assault by liquor would be my first guess. Just call me cynical.
Old 08-23-13, 08:33 PM
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1391 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 835 Posts
Originally Posted by byte_speed
Barefoot, staggering - assault by liquor would be my first guess. Just call me cynical.
Alcohol or some other drug. Yes, you are cynical, but I had the same thought.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 08-23-13, 09:23 PM
Just a person on bike

Bikes: 2015 Trek 1.1, 2021 Specialized Roubaix, 2022 Tern HSD S+

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts
Originally Posted by byte_speed
That may have been the case. I would still have stopped and asked if she needed help.

The value of your life doesn't change based on the way you travel. - Dawn Schellenberg (SDOT)
Old 08-24-13, 07:40 AM

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
She was a zombie. You're lucky to be alive.

Old 08-24-13, 07:46 AM

Bikes: Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I came up on a ped from behind today. He looked back and saw me comming for a good distance away, but he just kept walking in the middle of the road. He started to move to the right and I started heading to the left--then he starts heading to the left, I slow, he stops, and I say "Pick a side!"
Old 08-24-13, 10:36 AM
vhj

Bikes: 1970 Raleigh 10sp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
(Quote barefoot, staggering - assault by liquor would be my first guess. Just call me cynical. Quote)

That may have been the case. I would still have stopped and asked if she needed help.
Or, at least call the police. Medical assistance might have been needed. Or, given a case of alcohol or drug use then the police helping her "pay consequences" could help her in the both the short term and long term.
Old 08-24-13, 03:01 PM

Bikes: Giant easy e, Priority Onyx, Scott Sub 40, Marin Belvedere Commuter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 32 Posts
There is a really good chance that even though she was looking at you, she may not have noticed you because she wasn't looking for a bike. For motorcycles, an oncoming car turning left is the most common accident for the same reason.
Old 08-24-13, 03:07 PM

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
Go back to that road at night and see if she shows up again. Then pick whatever post you like and react accordingly.
Old 08-25-13, 01:37 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Probably zonked out on something, maybe just side effects from a prescribed drug. Either that or Resurrection Mary has finally gotten older and moved away from Chicago.
Old 08-25-13, 06:56 AM

The callousness shown by some on this thread makes me uneasy. The woman was obviously exposing herself to danger, was not acting normally, so probably needed help. Commonsense would surely indicate "Stop and ask if she needed help," or "Call 911." So what if she was on drugs or alcohol? Did he deserve to die by being hit by a vehicle? Give me a break! On second thoughts, in a country where around 90 people per day are killed by gunshots and a similar number in vehicular accidents, does one more really matter? Now MY cynicism is showing.
Old 08-25-13, 07:38 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Originally Posted by Artmo
Helpful yes. Prudent, not so sure. I was once chase by a "homeless" man that I stopped to ask if he needed help (it was a very hot day and he looked a bit out of it). If I was the OP I would have called 911 as soon as possible and reported the woman.

OP, I am glad that you are OK. I hope the woman is OK as well.
Old 08-25-13, 07:52 AM
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
Several years back, I was out riding (or maybe walking, I forget). At one of the bus stops, a man was laying on the grass, wearing shorts with no shoes or shirt, kind of writhing around. A woman was sitting there on the bench. I figured they might be together, and asked the woman if the man was okay, she gave some sort of noncommittal response. So I went on up to a convenience store and called 911. I came back through a few minutes later and both man and woman were being loaded into a squad car. So I was trying to do them a favor in case they needed help and just got them arrested instead. Oops. Don't think I did them any favors there.

In the OP's case, I don't think it's unreasonable to stop and check, but also not unreasonable to keep on riding. If people feel like they need to check up on and report people acting oddly, they should cruise downtown Dallas a while and have a field day at it.
Old 08-25-13, 07:57 AM
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1349 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia
Helpful yes. Prudent, not so sure. I was once chase by a "homeless" man that I stopped to ask if he needed help (it was a very hot day and he looked a bit out of it). If I was the OP I would have called 911 as soon as possible and reported the woman.

OP, I am glad that you are OK. I hope the woman is OK as well.
911 is an emergency number. There was no emergency. Why not call the non emergency number?

Old 08-25-13, 08:44 AM
vhj

Bikes: 1970 Raleigh 10sp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by StephenH
So I went on up to a convenience store and called 911. I came back through a few minutes later and both man and woman were being loaded into a squad car. So I was trying to do them a favor in case they needed help and just got them arrested instead. Oops. Don't think I did them any favors there.
You never know what will help people in the long run. Being arrested can be a wake-up call that changes your life!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.