Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Tire liners

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-13, 01:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cplager
Two problems with tire liners:

1) Some (like Mr Tuffy) can have sharp edges and can themselves cut tubes. The "Stop Flats" brand is softer and doesn't seem to have this problem.

2) They can add a lot of rolling resistance and slow you down significantly. I recently swapped tires and took out my tire liners and my average speed increased by over 1 mph.

In general, I think you're better off with a tire that has flat protection built in. That being said, if you install them correctly and don't mind the loss of speed, they can help reduce flats.

Cheers,
Charles
I do not use them but a friend did and this is what happened to him he no longer uses them.
Old 10-07-13, 07:28 AM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Compact

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
1. How often do you puncture? Maybe twice per year for me so I feel no need to experiment with tire liners. If I punctured twice per week, I'd feel differently.
2. The mechanic who recommended the tire liners - does he use them? I assume that he rides in the same conditions you do. If he doesn't feel he needs them, I wouldn't feel they were necessary for me to use either.
I'm flatting at least monthly, twice in the last two weeks, but I'm pretty sure that is a fluke. I'm going to stay away from the tire liners at this point. I'll just do a better job inspecting tires more frequently and try to stay out of trouble.
Old 10-07-13, 02:34 PM

Bikes: Fuji, Specialized, Surly, BMC

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just saw this thread.

I run 700x25 gatorskins with tire liners on my bike. So far, this year, after 6,200+ miles I had one slow leak that went flat overnight. It was a piece of wire that lodged into the tube after getting through the tire and liners.

I've pulled some pretty nasty things out of my tires also, the roads where I ride have a lot of debris and chip/seal. Just my experience. Last year I ran over 7,000 miles with only two flats.

BTW, I do replace my gatorskins when they get worn.

Just my experience and most of my friends use them also; except when racing. I do check my tires on a regular basis for debris and carry a pair of tweezers in my saddlebag to remove lodged rocks, glass, etc.

Richard
Old 10-07-13, 03:31 PM
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4338 Post(s)
Liked 2,981 Times in 1,617 Posts
There's nothing magic about liners - and they're not really that tough. You can verify this by poking a thumbtack right through one (way easier than I bet you thought).

All they do is put a little more solid material between the outside tire surface and the inside innertube surface - so if you have a 2mm thick tire and a 1mm thick tube you have 3mm of barrier. If you add a 2mm liner you have 5mm of barrier and can withstand attacks from 4mm thorns - which is the same as 4mm of tire and 1mm of tube.

Folks who ride in areas with high puncture risk would benefit from increasing the barrier thickness - liners can help with that, and they can be re-used when you get new tires.
Old 10-07-13, 06:02 PM
Don from Austin Texas

Bikes: Schwinn S25 "department store crap" FS MTB, home-made CF 26" hybrid, CF road bike with straight bar, various wierd frankenbikes

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DiabloScott
There's nothing magic about liners - and they're not really that tough. You can verify this by poking a thumbtack right through one (way easier than I bet you thought).

All they do is put a little more solid material between the outside tire surface and the inside innertube surface - so if you have a 2mm thick tire and a 1mm thick tube you have 3mm of barrier. If you add a 2mm liner you have 5mm of barrier and can withstand attacks from 4mm thorns - which is the same as 4mm of tire and 1mm of tube.

Folks who ride in areas with high puncture risk would benefit from increasing the barrier thickness - liners can help with that, and they can be re-used when you get new tires.
We tested a "racing" SpinSkin" with a sharp pick, and Brandon had to put a lot of weight behind the pick before it punctured the SpinSkin.

Don in Austin
Old 10-14-13, 07:29 AM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Compact

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rwc5830
Just saw this thread.

I run 700x25 gatorskins with tire liners on my bike. So far, this year, after 6,200+ miles I had one slow leak that went flat overnight. It was a piece of wire that lodged into the tube after getting through the tire and liners.

I've pulled some pretty nasty things out of my tires also, the roads where I ride have a lot of debris and chip/seal. Just my experience. Last year I ran over 7,000 miles with only two flats.

BTW, I do replace my gatorskins when they get worn.

Just my experience and most of my friends use them also; except when racing. I do check my tires on a regular basis for debris and carry a pair of tweezers in my saddlebag to remove lodged rocks, glass, etc.

Richard
I decided to go back to Gatorskins, just mounted a new pair this weekend. I know I'm picking up more weight and probably a little less ride quality, but it will be worth it.

Thanks!
Old 10-18-13, 05:11 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
With liners the only flats I've had is from the valve coming loose from the tube on Bontrager tubes. No more Bontragers for me. That is 4600 miles now on the 520. And an unknown mileage while my computer wires were severed.
Old 10-18-13, 05:43 AM

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Originally Posted by jesseh627
I live in the Waco area. broken glass, screws, nails, are more the culprit than thorns.
I've found that the cars and trucks thoughtfully sweep the tire tracks of such junk. Riding there instead of the shoulders and gutters prevents a lot of flats. I average 2 flats per year or less.
Old 10-18-13, 07:45 AM
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cplager
For the record, it has happened to me...
Happened to me too. Not an urban myth!

Rick / OCRR
Old 10-18-13, 08:44 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 63 Posts
I use Mr. Tuffy liners with Schwalbe Marathon Plus (Nokian Hakkapilita or Schwalbe Marathon Winter for three months of the year). In ten years and 50,000 miles, no flats. That exceeded my specification of matching the performance of the my car tires - over the same mileage and time, I've had two flats.

Had I not used the Mr. Tuffy, I would have had one flat.
Old 10-18-13, 09:35 AM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I've tried to reduce the Tuffy induced flat, by before installing them ,

taking the ends to the bench grinder and tapering the cut edge ..
then slatering in lots of Talc powder..
Old 10-18-13, 01:30 PM
VNA

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Adding weight using liners to the tires ultimately to the wheels is the worst place to do it!

It is not much a problem to the overall weight of the bicycle but it is when you have to push the pedals to make the wheels turn. You feel it particularly going up hills or taking off from a stop!

To minimize puncture deflate the tires after each ride, the tire will not deform or weaken the fabric over time!
Old 10-18-13, 01:40 PM
The Recumbent Quant

Bikes: 2012 Cruzbike Sofrider, 2013 Cruzigami Mantis, 2016 Folding CruziTandem

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by VNA
Adding weight using liners to the tires ultimately to the wheels is the worst place to do it!

It is not much a problem to the overall weight of the bicycle but it is when you have to push the pedals to make the wheels turn. You feel it particularly going up hills or taking off from a stop!

To minimize puncture deflate the tires after each ride, the tire will not deform or weaken the fabric over time!
It's not the weight of tire liners, but rather that they cause more rolling resistance that makes the big difference.
Old 10-18-13, 03:11 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
After going about 4 yrs without a flat,... the law of averages caught up with me... on one ride. Four flats. I checked both the tire and the rim between each. The tubes I had (and my daughter had) were about 3 - 4 yrs old and we went through all we had. Down to patches, but the last one made it. The tires are about 3 yrs old, but one of those years I rode the beegesus out of my cross breed and the road bike only got occasional use. I'm ordering up new tubes and thinking hard about tire liners. From everything I read,... sounds like I should order up new tires too.
Old 10-13-14, 05:46 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1. How often do you puncture? Maybe twice per year for me so I feel no need to experiment with tire liners. If I punctured twice per week, I'd feel differently.
2. The mechanic who recommended the tire liners - does he use them? I assume that he rides in the same conditions you do. If he doesn't feel he needs them, I wouldn't feel they were necessary for me to use either.
I can't imagine not using rim tape. It covers screws and sharp places in the rim. If you use thicker tubes, you're adding weight, anyway. If you are weight conscious, Stan's Yellow rim tape is one alternative. A couple of wraps around the inside rim and you're set.
Old 10-13-14, 06:34 AM

Bikes: 2008 Giant FCR2, 1992 Raleigh hybrid, my son's old mountain bike

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Rim tape and tire liners are two quite different things.
Old 10-13-14, 06:16 PM

Location: Currently living in Oakdale, CA about 20 mi. NE of Modesto in the hot central valley.

Bikes: Surly LHTD with a YAK trailer. I may have to ditch the trailer and go to panniers but I'll give it a try and see what happens.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I buy tires that have a built-in puncture resistant belt.
Can you "name names"?
Old 10-13-14, 06:23 PM

Location: Currently living in Oakdale, CA about 20 mi. NE of Modesto in the hot central valley.

Bikes: Surly LHTD with a YAK trailer. I may have to ditch the trailer and go to panniers but I'll give it a try and see what happens.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Tires such as Schwalbe Marathon Plus put the Tuffy like elastomer Under the tread, as part of the tire.
That's the tire I'm using and last Sat. I picked up a nail in my rear tire that SHREDDED my tube. SO, I've gone with thick tubes AND a liner to boot. Rolling resitance be damned! I'm not in a big hurry anyway, except fixing flats seems to be entirely TOO MUCH of a waste of my time.
Old 10-13-14, 06:24 PM
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4338 Post(s)
Liked 2,981 Times in 1,617 Posts
I can't imagine not using rim tape.
HA! Resurrect a 12-month old thread to post about the wrong thing... true 50+ moment.
Old 10-13-14, 08:48 PM

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,678 Times in 827 Posts
You never know what you may pick up in the streets. I say sheath 'em. I've been running tire liners for about a year and a half due to thorns. and my flats are almost non-existent. I do notice a slight rigidness sometimes, But I don't notice the weight. As far as liners versus built-in liners, regular liners can make inserting an innertube more complicated and difficult.
Old 10-14-14, 06:58 AM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by Louis Le Tour
Can you "name names"?
The last tires that I bought were Schwalbe Kojaks. Schwalbe offers tires with various degrees of puncture prevention and Kojaks are rated on the low side for puncture prevention. As a general rule, tires with the greatest degree of puncture prevention will be rated lower relative to speed. I like the Kojaks fine, by the way, and would buy the same thing if I were buying tires for that bike today.

There is no "puncture proof", there is only "puncture resistant". I used to run Specialized Armadillos on my tandem. At that time (a decade or two ago) they were generally regarded as among the most puncture resistant bike tires but they rode like ox cart wheels. I even got a puncture while using them but it took a shard of glass the size of a bayonet to pierce them.

Anytime you're talking about tires YMMV.