Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

For you Jersey guys!

Old 07-09-14, 02:15 PM
Shamrock

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For you Jersey guys!

I rode from our vacation spot to Island Beach State Park.For you nonJersey guys it's a park with beaches on the ocean.It has one road ,long,straight and flat.One can fish,swim ,dune buggy,off road 4x4,nature walk and catch poison ivy like I did after my prom( I better stop here).Where was I?

So riding to the park I had head winds miles before so I know the park will be tough.CYCLISTS enter for free.Yea when there are lifeguards the non biking public has to pay for the lifeguards.
In the park my cruising speed was 10.5 mph and that was hard to keep.A couple of times I felt like turning back.i made it to the end of the road.Turned around and find myself doing 21 mph with less effort than I needed for the 10.5mph.For me that's moving! I even threw it into high gear to see if it still works,Cranked it up to 30 mph.Im on the 35 year old Schwinn and a jack rabbit runs out in front of me,that was close.Enough speed back to 21 mph.
Old 07-09-14, 02:44 PM
leob1

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 12 Posts
My sister lived in Eatontown, a few miles from the beach. So I parked at her house to go for a ride along Ocean Ave. I get to the beach at Long Branch, and turned south. I cruised through Deal, Asbury Park, Belmar, Spring Lake at 20+. Blue skies, not a care in the world! Time to turn around and WHAM! A nice stiff head wind! I had the same wind at my back and didn't realize it untill I turned around. It took me a LOT longer to get back to the house. And I was cooked!
Old 07-09-14, 07:04 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 976 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 112 Posts
Born and raised in Hackensack. Glad I don't have to ride a bike around there though.
Old 07-10-14, 04:28 AM
PRus

Bikes: SEVEN Elium SLX

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Riding in a pace line on Ocean Avenue in Spring Lake can be fun as long as you have a tailwind or someone else is pulling into the wind !
Best times in early spring or late fall.
It can get dangerous with cars pulling out of angle parking and the crowds during the summer.
Old 07-10-14, 12:05 PM
Mvcrash

Bikes: Trek 4900, Cannondale Cx-4

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sounds like a nice place to ride. I was at Sandy Hook a few weekends ago. If you arrive early it is free as well and the MUP is empty until later in the morning. Nice View around Fort Hancock as well.
Old 07-10-14, 02:12 PM
1986raleigh

Bikes: '86 Raleigh marathon, '09 Fuji newest 4.0, 2001 Cannondale R600

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Shamrock View Post
I rode from our vacation spot to Island Beach State Park.For you nonJersey guys it's a park with beaches on the ocean.It has one road ,long,straight and flat.One can fish,swim ,dune buggy,off road 4x4,nature walk and catch poison ivy like I did after my prom( I better stop here).Where was I?

So riding to the park I had head winds miles before so I know the park will be tough.CYCLISTS enter for free.Yea when there are lifeguards the non biking public has to pay for the lifeguards.
In the park my cruising speed was 10.5 mph and that was hard to keep.A couple of times I felt like turning back.i made it to the end of the road.Turned around and find myself doing 21 mph with less effort than I needed for the 10.5mph.For me that's moving! I even threw it into high gear to see if it still works,Cranked it up to 30 mph.Im on the 35 year old Schwinn and a jack rabbit runs out in front of me,that was close.Enough speed back to 21 mph.
a jackrabbit in Jersey? didnt think their range was anywhere near there, musta been one of those whitetail minnasota jacks not a longlegged long eared blacktail from texas.
Old 07-10-14, 06:42 PM
Terex

Bikes: Specialized 6Fattie, Parlee Z5, Scott Addict

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It's a better place to kayak. When it's not windy.
Old 07-11-14, 08:26 AM
leob1

Originally Posted by Mvcrash View Post
Sounds like a nice place to ride. I was at Sandy Hook a few weekends ago. If you arrive early it is free as well and the MUP is empty until later in the morning. Nice View around Fort Hancock as well.
What is the condition of the MUP?
It got pretty torn up from Sandy(heartless *****).
I got some time off, and want to ride there. Weekday mornings the place is not so crowded.
Old 07-11-14, 08:52 AM
Shamrock

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by leob1 View Post
I got some time off, and want to ride there. Weekday mornings the place is not so crowded.
Mup has been worked on ready to ride.early is better or you have to deal with the beach goers on the mup.If looking for a long ride you can incorporate the Bayshore trail and the Henry Hudson trail.I park at popamora point park ,no fee.Restrooms,water fountain.Short ride to the Hook.
Old 07-11-14, 08:57 AM
Looigi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Last time I was at Island Beach State Park was back in '87 to scatter my dad's ashes in Barnegat Bay.
Old 07-11-14, 09:02 AM
leob1

Originally Posted by Shamrock View Post
Mup has been worked on ready to ride.early is better or you have to deal with the beach goers on the mup.If looking for a long ride you can incorporate the Bayshore trail and the Henry Hudson trail.I park at popamora point park ,no fee.Restrooms,water fountain.Short ride to the Hook.
Thanks, I keep forgetting about HH and Bayshore. I\we usually ride around in SH for a while, then head south for some lunch.
And I like the parking in Highlands idea, just have to convince my other half to go over the bridge.
Old 07-11-14, 10:24 AM
Mvcrash

Bikes: Trek 4900, Cannondale Cx-4

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by leob1 View Post
I was there pretty early, about 6 AM. The MUP was in good shape and there were few riders. I was able to get in about 18 before I saw any others. If you arrive early enough, no fee to park on the hook either.
Old 07-12-14, 04:08 PM
NVanHiker

Bikes: 2008 Giant FCR2, 1992 Raleigh hybrid, my son's old mountain bike

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Arguably the best riding state in the Union. I've never ridden the outside coast, but I've done 9, 47, 55, the 30's... 47's my favorite down to the Cape.
Old 07-12-14, 06:34 PM
Terex

Bikes: Specialized 6Fattie, Parlee Z5, Scott Addict

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by NVanHiker View Post
Arguably the best riding state in the Union. I've never ridden the outside coast, but I've done 9, 47, 55, the 30's... 47's my favorite down to the Cape.
njbikemap.com
Old 07-12-14, 09:28 PM
NVanHiker

Bikes: 2008 Giant FCR2, 1992 Raleigh hybrid, my son's old mountain bike

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
WAY too detailed. NJ Bikemap was a monumental effort, but totally eclipsed by Google maps and streetview. Seems rather quaint now. I'm more of a roadmap guy anyway.
Old 07-13-14, 06:13 PM
rgc52

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Best time to ride Island Beach State park is early in the morning. The park is unique in that it is relativity narrow with the Atlantic ocean on one side and the Barnegat Bay on the other. This could cause some interesting wind conditions especially in the afternoon. Also to the OP. Dune bugging, off road 4x4 is strictly prohibited. You can purchase a mobile sporting fishing permit which allows you to drive your 4x4 on the beach for fishing purposes.