Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

How long does it take to get comfortable with clipless pedals?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

How long does it take to get comfortable with clipless pedals?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-14, 11:19 AM

Bikes: 2013 Specialized Seceur Elite, Soma ES custom build

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Terrierman
Comfort and safety both come to mind.
Climbing and acceleration (like when I find myself in too high a gear and have an opportunity to scoot across that 5-lane city thoroughfare) come to my mind.
Old 07-22-14, 11:36 AM

Bikes: n + 1

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Nightshade
Unless you plan to start racing what the blazes do you need clipless for??
I just know that as a young teen, it only took about two instances of my foot sliding/falling off a pedal to realize that THAT HURTS! I learned real quick that toe clips and straps mitigated that happening again. I've been strapped in, (or clipped in), since. Been about +45 years now riding that way.

Oh, and I do "race". Against myself. Gotta to at least try and get those PRs.

- - -

Also, I very, very rarely unclip both feet. Just my right one, to put my foot down on the curb/gutter/street. It's just automatic for me to slightly lean to the right when I stop. Even when I have to "waddle" sideways to punch the pedestrian walk button, I normally have my left foot clipped in.
Old 07-22-14, 12:15 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve Sawyer
Climbing and acceleration (like when I find myself in too high a gear and have an opportunity to scoot across that 5-lane city thoroughfare) come to my mind.
Another safety aspect.
Old 07-22-14, 12:20 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by volosong
I just know that as a young teen, it only took about two instances of my foot sliding/falling off a pedal to realize that THAT HURTS! I learned real quick that toe clips and straps mitigated that happening again. I've been strapped in, (or clipped in), since. Been about +45 years now riding that way.

Oh, and I do "race". Against myself. Gotta to at least try and get those PRs.

- - -

Also, I very, very rarely unclip both feet. Just my right one, to put my foot down on the curb/gutter/street. It's just automatic for me to slightly lean to the right when I stop. Even when I have to "waddle" sideways to punch the pedestrian walk button, I normally have my left foot clipped in.
^^^ This, except for me I unclip left foot and lean left.
Old 07-22-14, 01:08 PM
boattail71

Bikes: Too many to list. Raleigh carbon racer (17 lbs.) and fast to a '37 Columbia (17 lbs. wheels alone) Even an Aerocycle (not ridable yet), love the middleweights too.

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dessert - it takes exactly 13 rides to get used to it. Well, my mom always said that when you learn a new word, use it 13 times, and then it's yours. So, assuming each of your rides contain a few "clip-out" stops, 13 seems like a good number of rides to where it will become automatic.

Also, you WILL fail to "unclip" at least once within these 13 rides and you WILL tip over. This will happen at the most crowded intersection in your city. Expect it, and when it happens, take solace that it is now out of your way; it happened to all of us and some of us might even admit that it still happens occasionally (although, I'm denying it!).
Old 07-22-14, 01:33 PM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
Originally Posted by boattail71
Dessert - it takes exactly 13 rides to get used to it. Well, my mom always said that when you learn a new word, use it 13 times, and then it's yours. So, assuming each of your rides contain a few "clip-out" stops, 13 seems like a good number of rides to where it will become automatic.
My Judo Sensei told me, "do a move 1000 times and it is yours". However, I wouldn't argue with a mom
Old 07-22-14, 03:28 PM

Bikes: 2015 Trek Domane 4.3, Trek 7.4 FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by saeyedoc
Nothing like a 0 MPH fall to make your day. Had another one yesterday , at least they don't hurt much, except for your ego.
I officially went clipless when I got my new bike over this past weekend. Three days in and I have had two 0 MPH falls because I didn't think it through. Overall, I'm doing well, except for the ego. It's still a bit difficult to get into them as much as it to get out in some circumstances.

In regards to the OP, you'll get used to them fairly quickly, try to remember to give you self a few extra seconds on planned stops, and prepare mentally to clip out if need be in an emergency situation.
Old 07-22-14, 04:36 PM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
It might be interesting to find how long it takes to become uncomfortable with clipless pedals.

I've had the same pair of Shimano double sided pedals on my beater bike for at least 10 years. During that time they have gradually required more pressure to unclip. They even caused a tombay fall or 2 which I wrote off as user error. Finally this morning I installed a different set of 15 year old pedals from my "spares" box. What a difference! Why did I wait for so long?
Old 07-22-14, 05:10 PM

Bikes: 2014 Specialized Secteur Elite, Trek "Discovery Channel" Road Bike, Diamondback Edgewood LX Hybrid

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bubbajoelouie
I officially went clipless when I got my new bike over this past weekend. Three days in and I have had two 0 MPH falls because I didn't think it through. Overall, I'm doing well, except for the ego. It's still a bit difficult to get into them as much as it to get out in some circumstances.

In regards to the OP, you'll get used to them fairly quickly, try to remember to give you self a few extra seconds on planned stops, and prepare mentally to clip out if need be in an emergency situation.
Ah, another clipless newbie. I have ridden twice now with no falls.
Before the second ride I took my shoe and clipped it in and out with the shoe in my hand to see what was going on there. When I got onto the bike instead of thinking "rotate my ankle out" I tried "rotate the toe of my shoe in". Crazy but it really helped to clip out this way. Hey whatever works I guess but after only two rides I'm more confident now than before. Just need more seat time.
Old 07-22-14, 06:16 PM

Bikes: 2021 Trek Checkpoint SL (GRX Di2), 2020 Domane SLR 9 (very green), 2016 Trek Emonda SL, 2009 Bianchi 928, 1972 Atala Record Pro

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 55 Posts
My son's 20 year old girl friend hopped on a road bike for the first time last week and we went for a 25 mile ride. She practiced a single clip in, clip out in the garage while I held the bike. Then it was on the road. Not even a close call in at least 5 full stops. Methinks it's easier for the young to learn new tricks.
Old 07-22-14, 07:50 PM

Bikes: 2014 Specialized Secteur Elite, Trek "Discovery Channel" Road Bike, Diamondback Edgewood LX Hybrid

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tigat
Methinks it's easier for the young to learn new tricks.
Methinks you're right.
Old 07-23-14, 05:17 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I've seen a few "hard to clip out" comments in this thread and just wanted to reiterate the benefit of reading the instructions that came with your pedals and reducing the retention spring tension to the lightest setting that prevents accidental clip outs. I've seen riders new to clipless have to jerk their foot off of the pedal to unclip, that isn't a fault of the SPD system, its a sign of too much spring tension. Extremely powerful and aggressive riders may need more tension depending on the type of riding they are doing, but the majority of riders will find fairly light settings perfectly adequate. It's also helpful to occasionally clean out and lubricate the mechanism and check the tightness on the cleats (I'm a fan of SPD multi-release cleats).
Old 07-23-14, 05:41 AM
Gearhead

Bikes: 1982 Schwinn Sidewinder, Sun EZ-1 Recumbent, Cannondale R-400

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
I hate them. I tried using them for a year, then went back to Power Grips.

I guess they are OK if you are just going to sit in the saddle and pedal for extended times, without having to dismount, but in my opinion, at least, riding with them while touring, or in town, where you will be stopping and even dismounting often, is a Royal Pain. Plus, you have to wear special cleated bike shoes, and carry an extra set of regular shoes to wear off the bike. I do a lot of touring, and vehicular riding, and I usually wear my hiking shoes, or tennis shoes. Sometimes I even wear my combat boots, depending on the weather and terrain.

It is probably just a matter of what kind of riding you do, and your personal preferences. Clipless pedals just aren't for me.......
Old 07-23-14, 07:42 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Schwinnhund
riding with them while touring, or in town, where you will be stopping and even dismounting often, is a Royal Pain. Plus, you have to wear special cleated bike shoes, and carry an extra set of regular shoes to wear off the bike.
I hear ya - I've gone from SPD to SPD-SL and back to SPD (with dual-purpose clipless/platform pedals) for exactly the reasons you mention. I really liked the SPD-SL setup, but they're good ONLY when you're on the bike and moving. Otherwise they suck! I'll routinely clip out and go to the platform side anytime I'm approaching a busy intersection, congestion, or any other low-speed situation (like coming up on a family with small children/animals out for a stroll on the MUP!)

By the way, I used Power Grips too for several years when I transitioned back from recumbent to DF. They work really well. Not as good as clipless for me, but for those not happy with clipless I think they're a better option than toe clips.
Old 07-23-14, 08:23 AM

Bikes: Defy 1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dessert
Thanks for the comments. I appreciate all of the variety of comments on this thread. I have been riding bikes a lot in my lifetime and since my retirement in 2011, I have been riding more frequently for exercise and enjoyment. This is my third road bike since retiring, that I wanted fit to me and I requested the clipless pedals because I understand that they improve the riding experience and add to the pedaling efficiency etc. I posted my questions because this is my very first experience with clipless pedals and I was wondering if others had experienced the same thoughts when they started out with the pedals.
My concerns were really about the Mavic pedals because I was having trouble clipping out of them. I was wondering if this was normal compared to other brands. I have no reference on that. I have since discussed this with the LBS and they say that this in normal learning curve for clipless and with more time in the saddle I will become more comfortable with clipping out.
This is correct - just a learning curve.
I just clipped in yesterday for the first time ever - I'm lucky, everything feels really good. Good Luck
Old 07-23-14, 09:54 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wingtipsdown
This is correct - just a learning curve.
I just clipped in yesterday for the first time ever - I'm lucky, everything feels really good. Good Luck
Third day out with them today. Feeling better already about them. Take note of my post where I said "rotate toe in" and the heel just follows to clip out. Seems to work for me.
Old 07-23-14, 10:07 AM
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,465 Times in 1,433 Posts
I don't find it hard to clip in or out. I ride SPD's in heavy traffic. Half the time, I plunk my foot down in just the right spot and clip in right away. I set mine loose to make it easy to get in and out. Since I've ridden with toe clips or cleats most of my life, I feel more secure with them than without them. I have fear of my feet slipping unexpectedly. To each his own. Use them if you like them. Don't use them if you don't.

I have SPD-SL's on my track bike for extra security. They are hard to get into. Before I clip in both feet, I ride very slowly and gently. The shoe is slippery on the bottom, so riding without being clipped in is precarious. Clipping out requires me to twist my foot hard, but I am able to bear this in mind, so I can clip out quickly if I need to. I don't ride my track bike on the street much anyway.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 07-23-14, 11:37 AM

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
Any thoughts I had have already been expressed in this thread, albeit without the eloquence. For this reason I shall refrain from posting anything.

Old 07-23-14, 11:41 AM

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by Dudelsack
Any thoughts I had have already been expressed in this thread, albeit without the eloquence. For this reason I shall refrain from posting anything.
When you don't reply, we'll know it's you.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 07-23-14 at 01:08 PM.
Old 07-23-14, 11:41 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dudelsack
Any thoughts I had have already been expressed in this thread, albeit without the eloquence.
Hey, what's with this trash-talk?? (I thought I was being eloquent!!)
Old 07-23-14, 12:04 PM

Bikes: Fiori Roma, Currently building a Bianchi, Trek 330, formerly Monshee Nomad, Favorit, Bianchi Sport SX, Frankenbike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I may have a unique perspective.

I rode a great deal in the 70s and 80s. By the earlier 80s I was using toe clips. Left one tight, right one just loose enough to slip out.

Then came marriage, three kids, divorce and a few extra pounds later (ok more than a few). Two years back bought a hybrid, MTB style pedals. It was ok, but I knew if I wanted to be smoother and ride longer, I'd want clipless.

Bought a road bike this year, first long ride and on platform pedals. Hated it. Foot kept slipping when I was trying to find the right position. My shins didn't get hit, but I did lose some momentum a few times, especially when I was tired near the end.

Bought clipless pedals and MTB shoes with SPD cleats. Adjusted them before mounting to the bike. Took a really long ride, got out of clips at every stop sign. Now it feels natural. Haven't fallen yet (had fallen in toe clips before though),

And as to why have them at all, I find high cadence spinning smoother and easier when firmly attached, and I feel it works better when climbing.
Old 07-23-14, 12:31 PM

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by JamesRL
...And as to why have them at all, I find high cadence spinning smoother and easier when firmly attached, and I feel it works better when climbing.
Well said; my sentiments exactly.
Old 07-23-14, 12:59 PM
Humvee of bikes =Worksman

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Terrierman
Comfort and safety both come to mind.
Comfort? Maybe. Safety? Never!!!

Originally Posted by krazygluon
Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred, which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?
Old 07-23-14, 01:10 PM
Humvee of bikes =Worksman

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by volosong

While your personal experience with clipless has been positive the intristic danger of clipless is still there.

Originally Posted by krazygluon
Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred, which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?
Old 07-23-14, 01:43 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Nightshade
While your personal experience with clipless has been positive the intristic danger of clipless is still there.
Only for those without the skill to adjust and the coordination to use...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.