Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Trek Domane

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-14, 09:22 PM

Bikes: domane trek

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Trek Domane

I just got a Trek Domane. What a nice ride and it is faster than my old bike, Klein Carbon Q. I like how the Domane climbs. The laser fit makes my new bike fit like a glove. I guessed on the Klein size. Klein was my first road bike. I did put 20000 miles on my Klein. I did go to a bike shop to get my klein to fit me. I dropped from a 52cm to a 50cm.
Old 08-11-14, 05:00 AM

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
A few months ago my gf bought a Domane. She love it too. The husband and wife who own the LBS can have any bike they want and they both ride Domanes. A very nice bike that Trek has replaced on the Woman's side with a model called the Silque.
Old 08-11-14, 06:04 AM

Bikes: Trek Domane 5.2, Trek 520, Surly Straggler, Trek Roscoe 8, Fisher HK2

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I also have a Domane, 5.2, and love it. Ride nice and smooth yet jumps when I hit the pedals
Mike
Old 08-11-14, 10:22 AM

Bikes: SL6 S Works Tarmac, 7 series Trek Madone, Saris Hammer Smart Trainer, Eddie Merckx, Ciocc, Trek 5900, DeRosa, Peugot, Diverge Gravel

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 32 Posts
I have been riding a 6 series Domane since Nov. 2013. It replaced a Specialized S-works Tarmac that started to beat me up. I went from a 58cm Tarmac to a 60cm Domane as I was able to ride both sizes at local dealers. I really liked the tall head tube as I can no longer "slam" the stem due to neck issues. The bike is nearly as stiff laterally as the Tarmac but has a more comfortable ride. I guess Fabian Cancerella wasn't wrong.
Old 08-11-14, 11:20 AM

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.5, Trek 1500

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I love my 2013 Domane 4.5. I had a problem with the Bontrager Race wheels, but my LBS and Trek have been good about it (the LBS has been great, actually... they gave me loaner wheels in both cases, the last being a Dura Ace wheel for the Eastern Sierra double). It is a great long distance bike.
Old 08-11-14, 11:48 AM
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked 1,985 Times in 569 Posts
How depressing. Trek, to their credit, offer a boatload of cool customization options. But a triple drivetrain ... isn't one of them. WTF.

Sweet bike, though.

Old 08-11-14, 11:59 AM

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Biker395
How depressing. Trek, to their credit, offer a boatload of cool customization options. But a triple drivetrain ... isn't one of them. WTF.

Sweet bike, though.
Yeah, triples are going the way of cable-accuated drivetrains...

Old 08-11-14, 12:16 PM

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 49 Posts
I tried to get a 4.3 2014 with the triple. None in my size. The 4.3 for 2015 kind of has the triple built into the double with a 11 speed cassette. 34, 28, 22, 20, 18, so on and a 34, 50 chain ring.
Old 08-11-14, 12:49 PM

Bikes: n + 1

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 15 Posts
I have never heard a bad word about the Domane. Took one on an extended test ride and came this close, (as I hold my thumb and index finger about a millimeter apart), of purchasing it. Dealer offered me an outstanding price too. Only reason I didn't purchase is that I didn't need a second endurance/distance/comfort/century bike. If the need were there, I'm purchase one without a second thought. I'd bet that if not now, very soon, the Domane will be Trek's top selling carbon "racing" frame. The kids and racers will still get a Madone or that new frame that just came out, but the masses will get a Domane. Trek should really put Cancellera on the payroll. He has probably "sold" more Domane bikes than anyone.

On the triple . . . a new crank, FD, long-cage RD, and left shifter will take care of that. The frame will handle it.

In my stable, I only have one triple left, (the Madone), and don't ride it much anymore. A compact with a 12-28 on most of my bikes and an 11-32 on the KOBH take care of my low gear needs. Sure, there are gaps in the gear ratios, but I don't race and rarely do I not find a comfortable gear that doesn't work for where I am at any particular time. Usually once on every ride I wish I had that 52 or 53 crank, but if I'm going that fast where I'm spinning out, I'll just coast at that time.
Old 08-11-14, 03:17 PM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Trek, offers a boatload of cool customization options. But a triple drivetrain ... isn't one of them.
Interchangeable parts FTW .. The dealer can replace the necessary components to fit on the new bike in your LBS at point of sale

if they get advance request, that can all be done in the Initial build up.
Old 08-13-14, 05:10 AM

Bikes: Colnago EP with Campy chorus

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Interchangeable parts FTW .. The dealer can replace the necessary components to fit on the new bike in your LBS at point of sale

if they get advance request, that can all be done in the Initial build up.
+1 , there is nothing money can not buy these days . Sky is the limit when it comes to components .
Old 08-13-14, 05:24 AM
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Sweet bike, though.
Ask the LBS what price they'd quote for swapping out the drivetrain. Given that they'd have a brand new compact drivetrain in stock at the end of it, my guess is, not much. And I agree with you about the triple, much much nicer to have the combination of low gears with nice tight ratios.
Old 08-13-14, 06:40 AM

Just one other thought. If you are buying a smaller size frame, as my GF's, you will have one hell of a time getting water bottles in and out of the cages thanks to the sloping TT. Oh, and Trek chose to "bulge" the chain stay to accommodate an internal computer sensor so you will have difficulty fitting an existing sensor around that bulge. Of course you can buy one of theirs for $150.
Old 08-13-14, 07:46 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
Just one other thought. If you are buying a smaller size frame, as my GF's, you will have one hell of a time getting water bottles in and out of the cages thanks to the sloping TT. Oh, and Trek chose to "bulge" the chain stay to accommodate an internal computer sensor so you will have difficulty fitting an existing sensor around that bulge. Of course you can buy one of theirs for $150.
Can't speak directly to the water bottle comment because my Domane is a 56, it holds two water bottles just fine. If space is an issue side loading bottles holders can used rather than top loaders (I use a side loader on the seat post with no problems and I have 25 oz bottles).

The duotrap costs $60 not $150 which is comparable to the Garmin sensor and it works fine with my Garmin 510 edge. To me the duotrap feature provides a much h cleaner installation with no zip ties.

I understand that there is more of love/hate relationship with Trek than probably any other brand but, it would be helpful to the OP to state the facts correctly.

Last edited by Planemaker; 08-13-14 at 07:51 AM. Reason: revise
Old 08-13-14, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by Planemaker
Can't speak directly to the water bottle comment because my Domane is a 56, it holds two water bottles just fine. If space is an issue side loading bottles holders can used rather than top loaders (I use a side loader on the seat post with no problems and I have 25 oz bottles).

The duotrap costs $60 not $150 which is comparable to the Garmin sensor and it works fine with my Garmin 510 edge. To me the duotrap feature provides a much h cleaner installation with no zip ties.

I understand that there is more of love/hate relationship with Trek than probably any other brand but, it would be helpful to the OP to state the facts correctly.
I solved the problem for my GF with a Tri setup at the back of the seatpost. As for the duotrap maybe we are talking about two different things. It is my understanding that the sensor will work only with certain computers. My GF is using a Cateye Strada Double Wireless which I am told does not link up with the duotrap. So, she would have to buy a new system. Is that what you understand too?
Old 08-13-14, 12:11 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
I solved the problem for my GF with a Tri setup at the back of the seatpost. As for the duotrap maybe we are talking about two different things. It is my understanding that the sensor will work only with certain computers. My GF is using a Cateye Strada Double Wireless which I am told does not link up with the duotrap. So, she would have to buy a new system. Is that what you understand too?
The duotrap is compatable with ANT+ devices. Looking at the Cateye device on their website I don't believe that particular device is an ANT+. Therefore, in particular case your GF would either have to buy an ANT+ device along with duotrap or use zip ties to attach the sensor from the Cateye on the chainstay.

To your point in the prevous post, if an owner wants to use a device that is not ANT+ then I can certainly see where the bulge in the chainstay could be a problem.
Old 08-14-14, 04:05 AM

Originally Posted by Planemaker
The duotrap is compatable with ANT+ devices. Looking at the Cateye device on their website I don't believe that particular device is an ANT+. Therefore, in particular case your GF would either have to buy an ANT+ device along with duotrap or use zip ties to attach the sensor from the Cateye on the chainstay.

To your point in the prevous post, if an owner wants to use a device that is not ANT+ then I can certainly see where the bulge in the chainstay could be a problem.
And, zip tie the sensor to the bulge is exactly what I did. But that is an "iffy" solution in that the slightest move of the sensor throws things off. And, as you said, that bulge is a PITA. I had it working perfectly for a month but now it has lost the cadence function. She seems not to care very much so she's riding without cadence.
Old 08-14-14, 06:07 AM

Bikes: domane trek

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It is amazing how two bikes of the same weight can be so different in performance. I have own my domane for 9 days now. I have done the same loops with my domane as I have done with my klein. I am 1mph faster on a 23 mile loop than my klein. Plus the domane makes the ride so smooth. I am not a good climber but the domane makes it easier to spin up hills.
Old 08-18-14, 03:32 PM

Bikes: Roubaix elite,Bontrager Race

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Did you get carbon or aluminum? I too am looking at the Domane after reading so many rave reviews. I am wondering how good a job of dampening the frame design does.
Old 08-22-14, 08:29 PM

Bikes: 2009 Trek Soho

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I needed more range on my 4.5 so I replaced the cassette with an 11-35 and the Rd with a long-cage Deore. no worries on those hills anymore! and the RD still shifts sooo much better than a triple.

Sweet bike, though.
Old 08-23-14, 11:07 AM

Bikes: 2014 Trek 7.3FX,2015 Trek Domane 4.5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just got a new 4.5 Domane and I gotta say its pretty sweet. I'm not great with all the numbers on the gearig but I now ride a hill that I rode in the largest gear I had in the rear on my old 1.1 trek road bike and with my new Domane I have 2 larger gears left to go to if needed.
I wish I could talk in techno talk but in my terms I am able to climb hills better and am in much more comfort on the entire ride with my new Domane.
Old 08-24-14, 09:00 AM

Bikes: Trek Madone 5.2, Kona Dew, Centurion Dave Scott Ironman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
About a week ago I got a fantastic deal on a 2013 Madone 5.2. The dealer told me that the Domane is outselling the Madone by about 4 to 1. This was great for me as I got the Madone for a whole lot less than I could have otherwise Both are excellent bikes in my opinion.
Old 08-24-14, 10:44 AM

Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by fastcarbon
I have been riding a 6 series Domane since Nov. 2013. It replaced a Specialized S-works Tarmac that started to beat me up. I went from a 58cm Tarmac to a 60cm Domane as I was able to ride both sizes at local dealers. I really liked the tall head tube as I can no longer "slam" the stem due to neck issues. The bike is nearly as stiff laterally as the Tarmac but has a more comfortable ride. I guess Fabian Cancerella wasn't wrong.
Two very different geometries. I see a lot of older riders on way too aggressive frames for their riding styles. Riding is so much more fun when you aren't fighting the fame design.