Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

who can...

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-14, 03:55 PM
rck

Bikes: cannondale 400st, dean el diente, specialized hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
who can...

tell me why. Why when I'm out for a ride in rural sw wi where I can literally go for miles without seeing another vehicle, that when I stop to answer a call from Mother Nature there arises a traffic jam? Is somebody hacked into that particular cloud? Do they wait around twiddling thumbs until somebody tweets that I'm stopping to

take a piddle

in the middle

of nowhere?

Must they all then rush to their cars, dial in their GPS units and head out. (and lets face it, they have plenty of time these days) I'm reasonably certain, in spite of what my ego may suggest, that nothing new under the sun will be seen. Next thing you know it will show up (in a manner of speaking) in "Live at 5"!

Sigh!
Old 09-03-14, 04:03 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
I rely on hearing cars coming and will admit that my hearing is NOT what it used to be. You just never know where videos and pictures are going to show up with all the mobile devices these days!!!
Old 09-03-14, 04:10 PM

Bikes: 1997 Kona Hahana Race Light, 2010 Surly LHT(deceased), 1999 Rocky Mountain Turbo

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know how does this happen. In Colorado (near Vail or Aspen I can't recall) one winter I pulled off onto a side road off a side road. Get going after a check up and down the road. No sooner than I start a cop goes by, in a SAAB (I think) none the less.
Old 09-03-14, 04:37 PM

Bikes: 2005 Peugeot Evasion 2019 Trek Verve

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 17 Posts
Do you care if you see someone peeing on the side of the road?

Probably no cares if you are either.

I read somewhere lately where someone asked a cop what they do if they see someone taking a nature break on the side of the road and he said they know that sometimes you gotta go and as long as you're not waving it at passing traffic it's not a problem.

If you watch the tours you notice how the camera's try to pan around the boys when they start pulling over. I noticed on one of the Tour de France stages that the camera was focusing on the front of a group and while they were talking one of the bikers stood up and started letting go Once the cameraman noticed what was going on the side of his frame he slowly panned a little more to the other side. But for about 5 seconds all was visible, the world didn't end.
Old 09-03-14, 06:54 PM

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
If that happened to me I'd just conclude that I am a chick magnet.
Old 09-03-14, 07:02 PM

Location: Currently living in Oakdale, CA about 20 mi. NE of Modesto in the hot central valley.

Bikes: Surly LHTD with a YAK trailer. I may have to ditch the trailer and go to panniers but I'll give it a try and see what happens.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't know about other states but here in the People's Republic of California a police officer can charge you with a sex crime (exposing your genitals in public) and you'll be a registered sex offender for the rest of your life. I'm going to get an extra large rain poncho and use that to keep covered for both #1 and #2 . I'll also have some small plastic bags with me to pack the goods off to a suitable disposal.
Old 09-03-14, 08:35 PM

Bikes: better than I deserve

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
^^tmi
Old 09-04-14, 10:20 AM

Bikes: Seven Alaris custom road bike

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well... be glad you're not female. Hiding behind a tree, same deal, people suddenly come out of nowhere.
Old 09-04-14, 05:33 PM

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by rck
tell me why. Why when I'm out for a ride in rural sw wi where I can literally go for miles without seeing another vehicle, that when I stop to answer a call from Mother Nature there arises a traffic jam? Is somebody hacked into that particular cloud? Do they wait around twiddling thumbs until somebody tweets that I'm stopping to

take a piddle

in the middle

of nowhere?

Must they all then rush to their cars, dial in their GPS units and head out. (and lets face it, they have plenty of time these days) I'm reasonably certain, in spite of what my ego may suggest, that nothing new under the sun will be seen. Next thing you know it will show up (in a manner of speaking) in "Live at 5"!

Sigh!
Are they in awe or laughing?
Old 09-04-14, 06:39 PM

Bikes: 2018 Specialized Roubaix Elite, 2009 Specialized Hard Rock 29er, 1989 Cannondale w/Campy Nuovo Record Components (mostly anway, now just on the trainer) and Easy Racer Recumbent (home made from plans)

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
who can...

I was a race official riding a motorcycle. Once, when I was officiating a women's race, I noticed that the ladies were talking and all of a suddden the whole field put there bikes down and scurried off into the field. It was something like hay. All you could see were there heads above the hay. Then they got back on there bikes and continued the race!

Last edited by LongT; 09-04-14 at 06:43 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 09-04-14, 06:57 PM

Location: A quiet place devoid of nazis telling me how I may express myself

Bikes: An ultra heavily moderated custom Merlin.

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by climberguy
^^tmi
Talk about raining on a parade.
Old 09-04-14, 07:57 PM

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
Could it have something to do with leaked photos from iCloud of your massive male member?

Old 09-05-14, 03:59 PM
rck

Bikes: cannondale 400st, dean el diente, specialized hybrid

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by GeneO
Are they in awe or laughing?
Its awe-ful when they laugh!
Old 09-06-14, 05:46 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
It must be related to the rule that says if there are only two cars on a long stretch of road traveling in opposite directions while you are riding your bike on that road, the cars will pass each other at the same moment they pass you.

As for roadside peeing, I take the same approach as when I need to change into or out of riding shorts in a parking lot. I will take reasonable measures to be pretty much out of the line of sight. If anyone sees anything they don't want to see, they do so by choosing to look in that direction when there were many other more convenient options.
Old 09-06-14, 05:51 PM

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
It does not bother Bailey.
Old 09-07-14, 05:45 AM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
It's the CIA.

It's been going on for decades. Think about the times you might ride for hours without seeing another vehicle. When you do see one, however, there will be two and they'll be coming from opposite directions and they'll pass each other at exactly the same time they pass you. Technology has only made them better at it.

There's really no reason to worry as you take a "nature stop," however. Even if there are no cars to be seen the satellites in space are capable of both taking your photo and scaling your equipment. The best defense is to put an aluminum foil covering, shiny side out, over your helmet. That won't stop them completely but it makes the images appear bigger.
Old 09-07-14, 07:00 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
It's a corollary to Murphy's law. Random events will conspire to cause the greatest inconvenience.