Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Strange Noises

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Strange Noises

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-14, 02:22 PM
Bicyclerider4life

Bikes: Huffy Beach Cruisers, Miami Sun Trike, Vertical PK7, KHS Montana Summit, Giant Cypress DX, Schwinn OCC Stingray

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Strange Noises

My bikes - (ALL NINE OF THEM) - make the same strange popping, creaking, knocking, and grinding noises when I pedal. When I coast, these strange noises stop. The noises are more frequent and louder when struggling uphill, or when attempting to pass the cars and get that elusive speeding ticket on level ground (in a 35 mph zone).
All bearings are properly lubed and adjusted, chains lubed, gears and brakes properly adjusted.
The LBS cannot get the bike(s) to make the noises on the stand or when they take the bike(s) for a test ride.

These strange noises have me so upset, I could swear I hear them taunt me when I'm walking or climbing steps.

Anyone else have bikes making strange untraceable noises?
Old 09-27-14, 02:29 PM

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by bicyclridr4life
My bikes - (ALL NINE OF THEM) - make the same strange popping, creaking, knocking, and grinding noises when I pedal. When I coast, these strange noises stop. The noises are more frequent and louder when struggling uphill, or when attempting to pass the cars and get that elusive speeding ticket on level ground (in a 35 mph zone).
All bearings are properly lubed and adjusted, chains lubed, gears and brakes properly adjusted.
The LBS cannot get the bike(s) to make the noises on the stand or when they take the bike(s) for a test ride.

These strange noises have me so upset, I could swear I hear them taunt me when I'm walking or climbing steps.

Anyone else have bikes making strange untraceable noises?

Have you checked the seat post and saddle clamp?
Old 09-27-14, 02:32 PM
Bicyclerider4life

Bikes: Huffy Beach Cruisers, Miami Sun Trike, Vertical PK7, KHS Montana Summit, Giant Cypress DX, Schwinn OCC Stingray

yep all good and tight. a couple might even be seized (Huffy beach cruiser and the Sun Trike)
Old 09-27-14, 02:50 PM

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Remove the bottom brackets and when you reinstall, grease the threads. Ditto if you have 2- or 3-piece cranks for lubing the crank arm/spindle interface. Oh, and while you're at it, grease the threads on the pedals.

I think the rule is, if it's threaded grease it. If two parts fit together (seat post,) grease them too. The only exception is carbon. That gets carbon assembly paste instead. IF you grease enough stuff, you'll eventually get to the problem spot.
Old 09-27-14, 03:30 PM

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 49 Posts
Knees?
Old 09-27-14, 05:32 PM

Bikes: Trek Domane 5.2, Trek 520, Surly Straggler, Trek Roscoe 8, Fisher HK2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Since it happens on all of your bikes it must be related to something that is constant regardless of the bike. Your shoes perhaps? Or as already mentioned your knees or ankles. Mine sometimes make so much noise people ask if they hurt.

mike
Old 09-27-14, 05:46 PM
Bicyclerider4life

I hope it is not knees hips and ankles, but that might be it. maybe I'm not imagining the noises when I'm off the bike
Old 09-27-14, 07:05 PM

Bikes: dawes, schwinn, kona

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had a similar problem with both my bikes. Finally realized the retention
system in my helmet was the culprit.. And it only creaked
when actively pedaling. Good Luck

Pete
Old 09-27-14, 07:25 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
My first thought was the pedal cleat combination may be the mystery noise maker. But, maybe you don't ride with cleats.
Old 09-27-14, 10:38 PM

Bikes: Cannondale Caad 8; Jamis Aurora Elite, Kona Disc road bike, Rocky Mntn Equipe, Apollo Imperial, KHS Aero Comp SS

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
^^ that was my first thought as well. I heard a similar creaking today, very unusual for the bike I was riding. Turns out it was the shoe/cleat/pedal. Perhaps I did too good of a job cleaning the bike this week.
Old 09-28-14, 04:55 PM
Used to be fast

Bikes: 85 Specialized Expedition, 07 Motobecane Immortal Spirit built up with Dura ace and Mavic Ksyriums, '85 Bianchi Track Bike, '90 Fisher Procaliber, '96 Landshark TwinDirt Shark Tandem, '88 Curtlo

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Try taking your pedals off and greasing the threads before putting them back on. That stopped my strange creaking on two different bikes. Make sure your seat post is greased too if you have a metal frame. Quill stems need the treatment also.
Old 09-28-14, 05:09 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by Gyro
Knees?
Hips? Ankles? Elbows?
Old 09-28-14, 07:52 PM
Bicyclerider4life

Originally Posted by leob1
Hips? Ankles? Elbows?
probably I'm hearing the noises more and more off the bikes. Maybe I really am getting "old".
Old 09-29-14, 05:45 AM
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
No thoughts on what is causing the annoying noises, they can drive you batty. I tend to watch the pedals and the cleats in this situation you described, and as others have said.

Along the lines of the threaded connections, and bolts/screws, making creaking noises, unless its a threaded part that absolutely must stay together and is subject to stresses that could loosen it, I apply anti-seize to the threads on every bolt and screw on my bicycle. If its a critical connection that requires a locking compound then I go to the Loctite website #WINATGLUE Loctite Super Glue, Sealants, Epoxy | Loctite Adhesives for their application chart and find which locking compound to use. Loctite Product Advisor. Expert guidance to find the best adhesive, glue and sealing solutions. | Loctite Adhesives Actually there are very few bolts or connections on a bicycle that need Loctite, save the BB30/PF30 bottom brackets, which need a green level compound. I'm much more likely to use a green level product than a blue or a red on a bicycle, the thought of using heat or an impact tool on my bicycle makes me shudder.

Anti-seize and a quality torque wrench that goes low enough for bicycles, or a torque key, is pretty much what I use unless its time for the carbon paste on the seat post of my ride.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 09-29-14, 10:58 AM

Bikes: Trek Mtn Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 2,644 Times in 950 Posts
About a yr ago I started hearing a squeak every time my right foot down stroked. Everything looked OK. I ride with platform pedals and tennies. Then I noticed that my right foot is closer to the crankshaft than the left. So close the shaft was rubbing the sole during the down stroke. Started consciously moving my foot out an inch.

This is probably related to the fact my back isn't perfectly straight. I tend to move the right foot in while pedaling. Never noticed it until the squeaking.
Old 09-29-14, 11:24 AM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Tinnitus , but I'm used to it by Now.. ( not Happy But resolved to it )

Last edited by fietsbob; 09-29-14 at 11:33 AM.
Old 09-29-14, 11:24 AM
Shredding Grandma!

Bikes: I don't own any bikes

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
Have you checked the seat post and saddle clamp?
That is usually the sort of any problem for me... the creak always sounds like its coming from my pedals or stem but its always the saddle rails and seatpost need lube not tightening... if I did better maintance I wouldn't get all those creaks and squeaks!

Pull out the seatpost and grease it and then after tighening the saddle rails, lube them with something like ProLink...

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.

Last edited by Pamestique; 09-29-14 at 11:27 AM.
Old 09-29-14, 11:26 AM
Shredding Grandma!

Bikes: I don't own any bikes

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Tinnitus , but I'm used to it by Now..
The only time my tinnitus does not annoy me is when I am cycling or hiking... right now, as I am banging away on the computer it is driving me batty!

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.
Old 09-29-14, 11:59 AM

Bikes: Giant Defy Advanced, Breezer Doppler Team, Schwinn Twinn Tandem, Windsor Tourist, 1954 JC Higgens

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by bicyclridr4life
probably I'm hearing the noises more and more off the bikes. Maybe I really am getting "old".
In a few more years your hearing will also go out and all will be good.
Old 09-29-14, 12:23 PM
dbg
Si Senior

Bikes: Too Numerous (not)

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Did you build all these bikes? Did you mix and match new and used parts for chains, cranks, cassettes? (I threw together some SS bikes for my kids with junk drawer parts, --and had some pops and clicks. I figured it was stretched chain on newer cogs or vice versa)

Be sure to let us know if these creaks and pops start forming into words and commands.
Old 09-29-14, 12:27 PM

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by Pamestique
That is usually the sort of any problem for me... the creak always sounds like its coming from my pedals or stem but its always the saddle rails and seatpost need lube not tightening... if I did better maintance I wouldn't get all those creaks and squeaks!

Pull out the seatpost and grease it and then after tighening the saddle rails, lube them with something like ProLink...
Me too - well first I move my foot and if it was rubbing that was a one second fix, if not then get out of the saddle for a bit and the squeak or tick disappears, so it's from the rails or seat post. At the very least, if the noises are still sounding off we're certain then that it isn't related to the saddle.
Old 09-29-14, 12:44 PM
Bicyclerider4life

On a whim, on my last ride, I tried some WD-40 on my knees. Result: Fewer mystery popping and grinding noises. I guess it is not the bikes making the noises