Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Any Aortic Valve Replacement riders/Survivors out there? I'm scared to death

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-15, 11:45 AM

Bikes: GT Titanium Road Bike, Trek XC bike, Santana Tandem, Surley Fixed, Swobo Commuter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm 54 and former Cat 3 racer. I have been diagnosed with a failing aortic valve and I am scheduled for surgery 3-16-15. I'm scared to death. Anybody have this type of replacement and if so can you still ride at a moderately fast pace? (versus a bike trail in the park kind of a pace) What type of valve did you get, mechanical or tissue. People tell me on blood thinners you can never risk another fall for fear of bleeding. Are my group riding days over? Are my riding days in general days over?

Cycling and fitness is one of the chief bonds in my marriage, and now I'm really afraid that this part of my life has come to an end........

Any advice is really appreciated
Old 02-22-15, 12:43 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Many different replies to this are possible. To me the most important thing is to address the fear of change.

Whether due to this event or another your life will change. Sometimes you will perceive the change to be positive and require no big life alteration. Other times events will demand a complete change in your life style. Veterans coming back from places like Afghanistan are very familiar with this. When I had my spine trauma a few years back I encountered it.

My best advice is to not focus on the medical event itself. Take due diligence to satisfy yourself you are receiving the best medical care possible. Then move on.

No one can tell you exactly what you are and are not going to be able to do after the surgery. Other people are not you. Although we are all very similar, each of us is unique in detail. So, while maybe interesting, experiences of others are of limited value.

Instead, may I be bold and suggest you take advantage of this to expand your marriage. To develop closer and broader ties. To find a life beyond cycling. This can be a great growth experience for you if you let it.
Old 02-22-15, 06:02 PM
afraid of whales

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ChrisB5string
...People tell me on blood thinners you can never risk another fall for fear of bleeding. Are my group riding days over? Are my riding days in general days over?...
I can't answer your questions/fears about the heart valve, I would be very worried/scared facing that kind of medical procedure.

I can address blood thinners, I am on warfarin for life and I'm 54. I ride 3-5 times per week, two rides are with my club, 150-250 miles per week. My hemotologist has no problem with me riding as long as I wear a helmet and a RoadID bracelet. There are two other warfarin users in my club, their docs say the same thing as mine.

I don't think things will be nearly as bad as what you're worried about. Modern medicine is a miracle, your docs want you to enjoy your life moving forward. I expect they will encourage you to get back to your former lifestyle as long as it's healthy.

If you're going on warfarin/coumadin, I would get a hemotologist to monitor your INR and have them prescribe a home monitor. I got one 2 years ago an it has really helped me keep everything inside proper limits.

Last edited by Mr IGH; 02-22-15 at 06:07 PM.
Old 02-22-15, 06:32 PM
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Not had this procedure myself, one of our superintendents had it a while back, though. He is on blood thinners but not restricted as to what work he can do due to the thinners and our type of construction is as harsh as it gets. He had a lot of adverse conditions besides needing the valve replacement so he wasn't as healthy as you probably are, smoking was actually the least of his problems. He is much better than previous to the replacement of the valve. but still smokes, unfortunately.

You should try to calm yourself as best you can, even though any surgery is a risk your odds are fairly good for an uneventful surgery. Probably more risk in the chances for an infection set back now. I had 16 major surgeries between May 2000 and June 2010, abdominal and spinal, and have faired well, but problems with some things cropped up, the doctors and nurses are dedicated to getting you through everything, try and put your trust in them, and be well read up on your procedure and what you should do afterwards. Rehabilitation should be better for you as you are healthier if you have cycled up until now.

If I an answer questions regarding surgeries please feel free to email me, whb-mdmb@att.net, since you do not have enough posts for a PM yet.

Best wishes on your surgery and recovery, you'll be in my prayers for strength and peace.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 02-23-15, 04:54 AM

Bikes: S-Works Tarmac

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A number of people have had this surgery, including Arnold Swartznegger. Dismissing the typical surgical risks and/or side effects, this surgery carries a high success rate and you should be able to do anything you want once recovered. I do not think this surgery (replacement) poses any fitness limitations on exercise, but be sure to ask your doctor to install the type valve that opens wide (they make several). You don't want to restrict blood flow.
Old 02-23-15, 12:07 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My wife had this surgery on Dec 30th and now is recovering. Up until a couple of years ago, we would enjoy 30 to 70 mile bike rides together. At the end of last year, she could only manage rides that were 10 to 15 miles.

We have been told, that she will regain her strength and be able to ride like she did 10 years ago. Our goal is for us to ride around the lake this summer where we have a cabin in northern Michigan. This is a 50 mile ride with some hills.

She has getting stronger each day but still has a long way to go. She did walk up to the stairs sixth to the sixth floor for a doctors appoint today.

One of the biggest question decisions she had is what type of valve. She is 59 years old and had to make the decision of mechanical or tissue. I am sure your doctors have gone through the pluses and minus of each.

In the end, even though it means that she might need to have the same open heart surgery in 15 years, she went with a tissue valve. The main reason was so she would not have to take blood thinners the rest of her life. She really enjoys being active outdoors and spending time on her bike. The doctors did not want her on a road bike while taking blood thinners.

When we started to discussion with the surgeon The surgeon recommended the mechanical valve because of her age. After she talked about her active life style and our bike riding, he changed his mind and said the tissue valve might be better for her.

Good luck with your surgery and you will be surprise at how fast you will be up and around.
Old 02-23-15, 07:54 PM

Bikes: Specialized Allez, Specialized Sirrus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I did some clean up. Let's keep this a supportive thread, please.

Forum Guidelines *click here*
Old 02-24-15, 07:22 AM

Bikes: Carrera Virtuoso and friend

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 38 Posts
Apologies. Message received.
Old 02-24-15, 05:46 PM

Bikes: Felt Z100, Trek 720

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A co-worker had a pulmonary valve replaced about a year ago. He's doing great. He did a half century 8 months after surgery and he's looking to do a century this summer. I know when I was facing major abdominal surgery many years ago, I became irritated when anyone would tell me not to worry, so I won't. But, after I was done, I sure wished I had worried less. I wish you the best of luck.
Old 02-24-15, 07:53 PM
Procrastinateur supreme

Bikes: Enough bikes...for today!

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
My close friend had this operation, and he's still kicking ten years later an is quite active at 65. It's understandable that you're scared - especially so when you have had a competitive spirit and you fear that you're peak days are over. I think that as serious as the operation is, you've got to find some sort of psychological refuge if you want to maximize your chances of a positive outcome. Have you tried to get into a routine of slowed breathing exercises? Try inhaling slowly for eight seconds, hold for 6 seconds, than exhaling slowly for 8 seconds, doing that for 10 minutes of this twice daily for a week. Try to let your thoughts recede into the background as you concentrate on counting out the time to yourself. You may find that it helps. Many of us here have had medical conditions that gradually have chipped away at our peak potential - but everyone here knows that every day you ride is better than the days you don't, and we all manage to continue to set goals for ourselves. There's amazing stories of triumphing over adversity here, and much wisdom can be had. Good luck, and keep us posted. You're among friends!
Old 02-24-15, 07:58 PM

Bikes: Pinarello Dogma F8 Giant TCR Advanced 2 Jamis Coda

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 115 Posts
First of all I have no experience with valve replacement but I did have a second cardiac ablation five weeks ago so I totally empathize with your fears. I had the first ablation about a year and a half ago to correct ventricular tacycardia. The EP was unable to correct it and I went home with an ICD implanted in my chest which totally bummed me out. I was still able to ride between 150 - 180 miles a week. I was pleased with that but I began to have incidents where the ICD fired. It seemed my lifestyle was slipping away. I did a lot of research and found someone who is one of the best in the field and after a consultation I decided to put my care in his hands.
Well I'm still on the trainer but last week I rode the equivalent of 160 miles and this week I started to kick up the wattage. Cautiously optimistic. It's amazing what is possible in medicine if you are fortunate enough to have a good doctor. The only thing I can offer is to find out as much as you can about your doctor. When you feel that he or she is the Doc for you trust your decision and focus on a good result. This is easier said than done but it really is pointless to worry about things you have no control over.
Best wishes for a successful outcome.
Old 02-24-15, 10:11 PM

Bikes: dawes, schwinn, kona

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi,
Have tried to post two lengthy responses but each time I tried to post them, the site said I was not logged in. I will keep this short
in case it gets eaten again.

Now age 69, had the surgery at age 67. I dreaded it. I just put it out of my mind and pretended to be an "observer" of myself getting the surgery. They had to redo my surgery (unknown to me at the time) after the first valve was leaking. All is well now two years out. I am stronger following the surgery.

I have a 22 millimeter tissue valve.. no blood thinners.

First week home you will be exhausted.

Began cardiac rehab at about 6 weeks out... was really relatively easy. Assume you are in good shape so you will have an easy time also.
No real pain... good drugs, but I rarely took them for pain.

Do the full cardiac rehab as silly as it will seem.. It will give you confidence in your heart.

I just thought about riding on a sunny spring day with the warm sun on my back...as a mental positive image.

Hope this makes it to be posted..

Good Luck,

Peter
Old 02-24-15, 10:22 PM

Bikes: dawes, schwinn, kona

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Also. forgot to mention that if the "5string" portion of your screen name is an obscure banjo reference, you won't be doing that for about 8 weeks, assuming you have the standard through the sternum operation. I play clawhammer style and could not play for about 10 weeks, a consequence of the operation that my wife greatly appreciated.

Peter
Old 02-24-15, 10:49 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
At least for me, blood thinners have been imperceptible--I've been on warfarin for 25 years, ridden up to 4000 mi/yr with no problems. You will bruise amazingly if you fall, but I've never had bleeding issues even from a 4-inch chainsaw gouge out of my shin. A pressure bandage stopped the bleeding before I got to the ER. Nosebleeds etc. stop readily.
As for the AVR, I may be in line for one next month (testing coming up in a couple of weeks), and I'M terrified, too. The more I read about it, the more I don't like it. But you get what you get....
Old 02-25-15, 06:42 AM
Semper Fi

One thing I learned from the many surgeries, both spinal and abdominal (16 total between 2000 and 2010) was to get myself educated about what I was having for a procedure, and what caused the problem, then what to look for afterwards as far as rehabilitation and recovery. Not knowing makes me very agitated about things, and I then get scared about what-ifs taking over. If I am going in knowing what can, will and might happen to me before, during and after the surgery, I am much calmer, and at peace with things.

I now have diagnosed Parkinson's Disease to manage and live with, learning from websites, my doctors, and reading books, has made me better able to deal with the things that are effecting my health and my life's activities. Try to concentrate on all the positive, good things about your life, and about yourself, too. You do have a really supportive group here, also. These people have encouraged me and helped me through several hard episodes. Use us as aides. Best wishes on your surgery and the recovery/rehabilitation. I'll look forward to someday meeting and riding with you at a 50+ event, perhaps.

Bill

Last edited by qcpmsame; 02-26-15 at 06:36 AM.
Old 02-25-15, 09:08 PM

Bikes: SL6 S Works Tarmac, 7 series Trek Madone, Saris Hammer Smart Trainer, Eddie Merckx, Ciocc, Trek 5900, DeRosa, Peugot, Diverge Gravel

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 32 Posts
Aortic Valve Replacement

I haven't had an aortic valve replacement but have had several abdominal surgeries in my lifetime (72). A first major surgery is tough mentally but afterwards you will wonder why you were so worried. My latest was an implanted defibrillator 3 weeks ago due to ventricular rhythms which apparently could have killed me. They think the cause was 30 years of training and racing. I have been on blood thinners for about 3 years and ride with racing groups and solo to about 200 miles per week. I did give up on crits due to the body contact and crashes in these races. I am very careful about which riders I ride close to in groups and try to have an escape path by riding to the outside.
As you ride a lot you will heal quickly. You will be surprised at how well you do in rehab compared to other patients with no endurance athletic history.
Old 02-26-15, 01:52 PM

Bikes: ‘87 Marinoni SLX Sports Tourer, ‘79 Miyata 912 by Gugificazione

Mentioned: 166 Post(s)
Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 256 Posts
I had my aortic valve replaced with a 25mm tissue valve in 2006 at age 57. I decided that blood thinners for life posed too many potential restrictions/concerns, and my cardiologist agreed.

I'd had a cardiac arrest (the electrical failure, not a heart attack) in 2005 coasting down a hill near the end of a generally relaxing ride (no specific cause ever established) and had an ICD implanted after that (it's only gone off once, and that was a false alarm). The aortic valve restriction turned up during the arrest cause investigation but was unrelated. Turned out to be a congenital problem that I'd lived with unnoticed for all those decades.

The recovery from the arrest, then the valve replacement, reduced but did not eliminate several years of cycling. Beyond the specific surgery recovery periods that others have described, I was not advised to reduce my activity in any way. Then in 2012 I needed a total hip replacement, and broke the other one (stupid fall trying to ride up a very steep hill) 14 months later. It was going to be replaced soon anyhow, so I now have two new hips. Once again recovery periods slowed me down, plus the age thing for how much longer it takes to come back each time. Cycling was recommended as an excellent recovery technique.

So now at age 65 with those various bionic pieces, having stopped taking statins 9 months ago, and getting back into frequent 37-mile bike commutes plus lots of weekend rides, I feel at least as strong as I ever have for this time of year since I restarted serious (but not competitive) riding 20 years ago. The statins were a becoming a serious impediment last year at this time, and I think my cardiologist will agree with staying off them when I see him again in April for my biannual ICD check (no cholesterol issues). In fact, I take no prescription meds whatsoever now. My hip surgeon says I don't need to check in with her for another 5 years, but "don't fall off your bike again, because a femur break would be very bad". So I continue to use low gears for the steep Pacific NW hills, and have no problem walking up if that seems prudent, but don't hesitate to ride up 15% grades. I'm also a working on becoming a better standing climber (never was good at that before).

I'll be be retiring in 5 weeks (but who's counting?) and looking forward to LOTS more biking, including my 5th 200-mile STP with wife (we met there in 1993), son (did our last one together in 2002), and his new bride (her first, on the bike I just rebuilt for her).

So to answer the OP question: Yes, you will survive. There is definitely rigorous cycling and other athletic life after a valve replacement. Make sure you have a surgeon that you really trust who understands your needs and goals, and chose the valve type carefully. Try not to cough when they pull out the tube after surgery (they actually told me that!). Then appreciate the recovery time with your family and friends, and the support that they provide. Then get back on the bike, and enjoy getting back to where you want to be!
Old 02-26-15, 04:56 PM
afraid of whales

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Dog
...You will bruise amazingly if you fall, but I've never had bleeding issues even from a 4-inch chainsaw gouge out of my shin....
Slight OT, have you been prescribed your own home INR measuring device? I changed from my GP to a hemotologist for my INR monitoring, the first thing the hemotologist did was prescribe a home machine. Since getting my own machine I am able to keep myself inside the rails much better and I don't get those nasty warfarin bruises anymore.
Old 02-28-15, 01:09 AM

Bikes: 2015 Giant Escape 1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have been diagnosed with Bicuspid Aortic Valve Disease (BAVD) in the last 6 months and a valve replacement is in my future. This thread has been most reassuring. While my cardiologist says keep doing what you are doing, it is good hear personal experiences of people continuing high levels of activity. I appreciate everyone's candor in their responses.
Old 02-28-15, 08:12 PM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 58 Posts
My aortic valve was replaced in February, 2010 (blog account here) at the age of 55. I did not get much of a performance boost, but the performance decay rate decreased. I still do the occasional century and I am active, but I do not currently have the time to do the kind of mileage I would like to.

I got a mechanical valve and I am tied to warfarin for the rest of my life. I have a home monitor, which helps on the convenience side. Bike riding, even with some serious injuries, has not been a problem from the bleeding perspective, but I would recommend avoiding knife fights.

Major surgery like this is not fun, but I think it easier if you do not let it go too long and you have this adventure while you are still active and in good shape.
Old 02-28-15, 08:52 PM
Semper Fi

SocalCarl, welcome aboard, glad that you have joined in. Best of luck on the valve replacement, when it does come. the 50+ Forum is a very supportive community, stick around the place, please. These guys, and gals, have helped and encouraged me each time I had health issues to face, we can be here for you.

Bill

Old 03-17-15, 12:20 AM

Bikes: Giant TCX Kestrel 200 SCi Cannondale Synapse carbon

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
ChrisB5string's surgery was scheduled for yesterday. Hopefully he'll update his thread with positive news when he's recovered enough to do so.
Old 03-17-15, 06:15 AM
afraid of whales

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
He's in my prayers.