Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Helix Update?

Reply

Old 02-13-18, 02:29 PM
  #926  
Revoltingest
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Revoltistan (in SE MI)
Posts: 80

Bikes: Dahon Helios, Dahon P8, Bike Friday tandem, Ingo, Trek, Columbia, Helix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Jipe View Post
Do we know how many bikes were pre-ordered ?
I have no clue. I wonder how many were like me, not wanting to be a Kickstarter backer, but willing to place an order directly with Helix when things looked more mature & successful. The price increase was minimal ($300). We could've easily added as much money as was raised on Kickstarter, & with no commission taken from it.
Revoltingest is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-18, 12:42 AM
  #927  
Gibsonsean
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 106
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Revoltingest View Post
I have no clue. I wonder how many were like me, not wanting to be a Kickstarter backer, but willing to place an order directly with Helix when things looked more mature & successful. The price increase was minimal ($300). We could've easily added as much money as was raised on Kickstarter, & with no commission taken from it.
Based on the timetable for production mooted at the time pre-orders were wrapped up, I seem to recall that pre-order bikes were to take about the same amount of time to complete shipping, once backer's were shipped, as the backer's bikes. From this, I assumed the volumes were similar.

Regardless, at this stage the Helix team must have a very good idea on cost to manufacture and they are still pressing on, which would be odd if they felt they didn't have a business case. Even at pre-order time, manufacturing costs would have been much clearer and pricing only stepped up $300.

Retail pricing has not been set and need bear no relation to the KS or pre-order pricing. It was always going to be more. How much more will, no doubt, reflect actual cost to manufacture, anticipated demand, Brompton and other competitor pricing and a premium for uniqueness and titaniumness.

Last edited by Gibsonsean; 02-14-18 at 12:48 AM.
Gibsonsean is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-18, 10:46 AM
  #928  
Revoltingest
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Revoltistan (in SE MI)
Posts: 80

Bikes: Dahon Helios, Dahon P8, Bike Friday tandem, Ingo, Trek, Columbia, Helix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Something I haven't figured out.
Look at the Helix in folded condition.

You'll see a straight line between the front fork pivot, the wheels axle centerline, & the swingarm pivot. This means that there's a lot of vertical compliance in the 2 connected wheels. If allowed to move upward from this position, the high leverage would impose potentially damaging loads on the pivots. That wouldn't be acceptable, so it must be a solved problem.
What keeps the wheels in place?
Does the swingarm touch the bottom bracket in this position?

Last edited by Revoltingest; 02-14-18 at 03:36 PM.
Revoltingest is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-18, 04:09 PM
  #929  
Gibsonsean
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 106
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Revoltingest View Post
If allowed to move upward from this position, the high leverage would impose potentially damaging loads on the pivots. ...
What keeps the wheels in place?
Took me a while to get your gist. It's an interesting question.

We do know that is a proprietary locking mechanism to lock the wheels together. This could potentially fix the angle between front monofork and rear swing arm. There may also/alternatively be robust limiters in the rear helical hinge. The front hinge looks like the weak spot in this scenario.
Then again, how much actual weight is going to be acting on the whole folded set up.
Gibsonsean is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-18, 05:09 PM
  #930  
Revoltingest
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Revoltistan (in SE MI)
Posts: 80

Bikes: Dahon Helios, Dahon P8, Bike Friday tandem, Ingo, Trek, Columbia, Helix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Gibsonsean View Post
Took me a while to get your gist. It's an interesting question.

We do know that is a proprietary locking mechanism to lock the wheels together. This could potentially fix the angle between front monofork and rear swing arm. There may also/alternatively be robust limiters in the rear helical hinge. The front hinge looks like the weak spot in this scenario.
Then again, how much actual weight is going to be acting on the whole folded set up.
To handle the forces, a rotational locking device at the axles would be noticeably large & inefficient, & it would likely not be a passive device. The hinges are too small do handle rotational locking. Even the swing arm impinging against the bottom bracket would yield higher forces than I'd be comfortable with. I'd consider a stop on the frame extending down to touch the swingarm or axle/hub, thereby limiting motion passively & with low forces. I suspect they've figured out something more elegant.

Thinking more about it, a stop attached to the brake side dropout could work well. It could be short, light & unobtrusive.

Last edited by Revoltingest; 02-15-18 at 07:43 PM.
Revoltingest is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-18, 12:08 AM
  #931  
Gibsonsean
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 106
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Revoltingest View Post
To handle the forces, a rotational locking device at the axles would be noticeably large & inefficient, & it would likely not be a passive device. The hinges are too small do handle rotational locking. Even the swing arm impinging against the bottom bracket would yield higher forces than I'd be comfortable with. I'd consider a stop on the frame extending down to touch the swingarm or axle/hub, thereby limiting motion passively & with low forces. I suspect they've figured out something more elegant.
The wheel lock is not small. As the helical hinges result in horizontal translation, the limiter need not be rotational. From the picks I don't see any kind of impingement that would limit rotation with leverage. Be interesting to see when the bike arrives.
Gibsonsean is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-18, 02:48 PM
  #932  
unclejemima
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 68
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Looking forward to this weekends update!!

Happy Friday all
unclejemima is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-18, 02:56 AM
  #933  
maxxevv
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 101
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Revoltingest View Post
Something I haven't figured out.
Look at the Helix in folded condition.

You'll see a straight line between the front fork pivot, the wheels axle centerline, & the swingarm pivot. This means that there's a lot of vertical compliance in the 2 connected wheels. If allowed to move upward from this position, the high leverage would impose potentially damaging loads on the pivots. That wouldn't be acceptable, so it must be a solved problem.
What keeps the wheels in place?
Does the swingarm touch the bottom bracket in this position?
Perhaps you can look up its patent. It might be possible to figure it out from there instead ?
maxxevv is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-18, 03:38 AM
  #934  
Revoltingest
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Revoltistan (in SE MI)
Posts: 80

Bikes: Dahon Helios, Dahon P8, Bike Friday tandem, Ingo, Trek, Columbia, Helix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Originally Posted by maxxevv View Post
Perhaps you can look up its patent. It might be possible to figure it out from there instead ?
I've looked over the US patent info, but don't see this issue addressed.
Ref....
COMPACTABLE BICYCLE
Revoltingest is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-18, 11:10 AM
  #935  
Revoltingest
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Revoltistan (in SE MI)
Posts: 80

Bikes: Dahon Helios, Dahon P8, Bike Friday tandem, Ingo, Trek, Columbia, Helix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Latest Helix update has arrived!
Not divulging more than is appropriate.....
Testing is nearly done.
Production setup continues.
Revoltingest is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-18, 12:59 AM
  #936  
Jipe
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 76
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Revoltingest View Post
Latest Helix update has arrived!
Not divulging more than is appropriate.....
Boutakis eventually succeeded in enforcing a blackout about the real status of his Helix project !

Strange commercial strategy to hide what is going on to potential customers while Helix is supposed to need more sales to survive ?
Jipe is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-18, 01:38 AM
  #937  
Gibsonsean
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 106
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Jipe View Post
Boutakis eventually succeeded in enforcing a blackout about the real status of his Helix project !

Strange commercial strategy to hide what is going on to potential customers while Helix is supposed to need more sales to survive ?
Hardly 'enforcing'. Hardly 'hiding' the 'real status'. He just asked backers not to share details of updates for reasons of commercial sensitivity. Perfectly reasonable and happy to respect his wishes. He is not obliged to share any details with us after all.

As to the 'real status', as far as anyone knows, it is as Revoltingest kindly posted.
"Testing is nearly done.
Production setup continues.".

More fun of course to see conspiracy and suppression of the truth
Gibsonsean is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-18, 02:45 AM
  #938  
Jipe
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 76
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Gibsonsean View Post
More fun of course to see conspiracy and suppression of the truth
As long as the progress updates are only visible for backers and not open to everybody like for many other kickstarter projects, only backers know if what you state is true or not.
Jipe is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-18, 07:39 AM
  #939  
Revoltingest
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Revoltistan (in SE MI)
Posts: 80

Bikes: Dahon Helios, Dahon P8, Bike Friday tandem, Ingo, Trek, Columbia, Helix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Jipe View Post
As long as the progress updates are only visible for backers and not open to everybody like for many other kickstarter projects, only backers know if what you state is true or not.
I really look forward to getting my Helix. But this talk of black-outs & secrecy enforcement is now adding an element of illicit pleasure. It'll be one sinful bicycle!

Last edited by Revoltingest; 02-20-18 at 08:08 AM.
Revoltingest is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-18, 01:51 PM
  #940  
Joe Remi 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NorCal
Posts: 970

Bikes: Haibike Sduro Trekking SL, Rivendell Appaloosa, Concinnity singlespeed, KHS mini velo (Japan market), Trident Spike trike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Revoltingest View Post
I really look forward to getting my Helix. But this talk of black-outs & secrecy enforcement is now adding an element of illicit pleasure. It'll be one sinful bicycle!
It'll be even more fun if the bike is released as a covert black op. "That's an interesting bicycle you have there, sir." 'What bicycle?'
Joe Remi is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-18, 03:24 PM
  #941  
Gibsonsean
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 106
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Joe Remi View Post
It'll be even more fun if the bike is released as a covert black op. "That's an interesting bicycle you have there, sir." 'What bicycle?'
https://youtu.be/ca-9UkUP6WU
Gibsonsean is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-18, 12:52 AM
  #942  
RatonLaveur
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
It's all about the advantages of Not Being Seen...
RatonLaveur is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-18, 02:11 PM
  #943  
firestorm135
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I gave up the dream

I bought a Brompton. I couldn't wait any longer. 2+ years was long enough for me. I really do hope they are successful at some point.
firestorm135 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-18, 04:30 PM
  #944  
DaKineDatFolds
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 75
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Originally Posted by firestorm135 View Post
I bought a Brompton. I couldn't wait any longer. 2+ years was long enough for me. I really do hope they are successful at some point.
Congratulations. What did you order or pick up for a Brompton configuration? My order will process on March 1st - it's the one of the window openings this year to order a custom Brompton.
DaKineDatFolds is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-18, 03:59 PM
  #945  
Mtroup
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 97

Bikes: Jones Plus, Tern Verge Tour

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
They’re behind schedule, but I’d still bet we see a production Helix before George RR Martin’s next Game of Thrones book.
Mtroup is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-18, 05:18 PM
  #946  
firestorm135
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Thank you! I got an Orange Black Edition with the S-style handlebar, 6 speed with 12% gearing reduction, and rear rack. Looks to be the perfect travel companion!
firestorm135 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-18, 07:54 PM
  #947  
Lalato
Senior Member
 
Lalato's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bay Area and Sacramento
Posts: 1,173

Bikes: Bike Friday Tikit

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I come here for the Helix drama. Please take the Brompton talk elsewhere.
Lalato is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-18, 07:58 PM
  #948  
Revoltingest
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Revoltistan (in SE MI)
Posts: 80

Bikes: Dahon Helios, Dahon P8, Bike Friday tandem, Ingo, Trek, Columbia, Helix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
I heard a Helix is dating a Brompton.
Would the offspring be a 20" folder?
Would they raise it to be titanium or steel?

Last edited by Revoltingest; 03-01-18 at 09:20 PM.
Revoltingest is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-18, 09:15 PM
  #949  
Joe Remi 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NorCal
Posts: 970

Bikes: Haibike Sduro Trekking SL, Rivendell Appaloosa, Concinnity singlespeed, KHS mini velo (Japan market), Trident Spike trike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Lalato View Post
I come here for the Helix drama. Please take the Brompton talk elsewhere.
I have no interest in best folders in the world I can actually buy. BOOOORRRINNNNG!
Joe Remi is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-18, 06:43 AM
  #950  
DaKineDatFolds
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 75
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Lalato View Post
I come here for the Helix drama. Please take the Brompton talk elsewhere.
Okay, done. ALMOST done...

Originally Posted by Revoltingest View Post
I heard a Helix is dating a Brompton.
Would the offspring be a 20" folder?
Would they raise it to be titanium or steel?
Rumors. The Helix makes promise after promise to show up for date after date, but repeatedly continues to flake and never shows up... for ANYONE. So the Brompton continues to hook up with many others for one night stands, with results of not so attractive offspring in other continents.

However, if the Helix ever shows up to date a Brompton, I think you're on the right track. They'd have a 20" folder and I'm pretty sure that the Helix would insist on raising it titanium. Unfortunately though, due to the Helix's family history, their offspring will most likely end up with perpetual psychological issues and brain disorders.
DaKineDatFolds is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Terms of Service