Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Looking to buy Dahon Mu Uno

Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Looking to buy Dahon Mu Uno

Reply

Old 01-20-18, 10:51 PM
  #1  
Audrey.Adrian
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: NYC (Manhattan)
Posts: 5

Bikes: Want to buy a Dahon Mu Uno!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Looking to buy Dahon Mu Uno

Hi,

I'm desperately looking to buy a Dahon Mu Uno Shadow in matte black (not the new Mu Uno 2017). Does anyone have one to sell that can be shipped to NYC? As far as I can tell it's not being sold anymore.

Audrey
Audrey.Adrian is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-18, 08:55 AM
  #2  
ThorUSA
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Olney Illinois USA
Posts: 1,047

Bikes: to many

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
new ones in black and blue are sold out from Dahon USA as well. waited to long and now the alternative is gone as well ....hmmm?
ThorUSA is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-18, 02:30 PM
  #3  
tds101 
Grumpy old man,...
 
tds101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Mastic Beach, NY
Posts: 2,476

Bikes: 7+,...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Audrey.Adrian View Post
Hi,

I'm desperately looking to buy a Dahon Mu Uno Shadow in matte black (not the new Mu Uno 2017). Does anyone have one to sell that can be shipped to NYC? As far as I can tell it's not being sold anymore.

Audrey
I have a 3 speed internal geared Dahon Speed Uno. Let me know if you would be interested in it. I live on Long Island. We could discuss it,...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Dahon Speed 3i - 1.jpg (720.8 KB, 131 views)
File Type: jpg
Dahon Speed 3i (custom).jpg (1.02 MB, 136 views)
__________________
If it wasn't for you meddling kids,...
tds101 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-18, 06:53 PM
  #4  
Joe Remi
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NorCal
Posts: 1,014

Bikes: Haibike Sduro Trekking SL, Rivendell Appaloosa, Concinnity singlespeed, KHS mini velo (Japan market), Trident Spike trike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
That's a neat conversion. Nice work!
Joe Remi is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-18, 07:14 PM
  #5  
Audrey.Adrian
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: NYC (Manhattan)
Posts: 5

Bikes: Want to buy a Dahon Mu Uno!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Originally Posted by tds101 View Post
I have a 3 speed internal geared Dahon Speed Uno. Let me know if you would be interested in it. I live on Long Island. We could discuss it,...
@tds101, thanks so much for the response, but I'm looking for a matte black Mu Uno bc I wanted the front hand brake, rather than having to rely on the purely coaster brake of the Speed Uno.
Audrey.Adrian is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-18, 07:17 PM
  #6  
tds101 
Grumpy old man,...
 
tds101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Mastic Beach, NY
Posts: 2,476

Bikes: 7+,...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Audrey.Adrian View Post
@tds101, thanks so much for the response, but I'm looking for a matte black Mu Uno bc I wanted the front hand brake, rather than having to rely on the purely coaster brake of the Speed Uno.
No problem. But, just so you know, a front hand brake is easily installed on the Speed Uno. It's done all the time.

Anyways, good luck with the search. If you change your mind just quote me, and I'll be informed of it.
__________________
If it wasn't for you meddling kids,...
tds101 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-18, 07:17 PM
  #7  
rhenning
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 3,041
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Could you add the front brake by drilling a hole in the fork? Roger
rhenning is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-18, 07:18 PM
  #8  
tds101 
Grumpy old man,...
 
tds101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Mastic Beach, NY
Posts: 2,476

Bikes: 7+,...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Originally Posted by rhenning View Post
Could you add the front brake by drilling a hole in the fork? Roger
Yes, people add a front brake all the time. I just never needed to do it,...the coaster brake was quite sufficient.
__________________
If it wasn't for you meddling kids,...
tds101 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-18, 07:23 PM
  #9  
L Arnold 
**thusi*st
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Boulder, CO
Posts: 200

Bikes: Specialized Touring Expedition '1984, Volagi Liscio, Dahon Visc D18, Dahon Visc SL, Schwinn Moab

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
I have One Mu Uno with Belt Drive, 451 Wheels, Front V brake and Rear Coaster Brake.

If you are interested PM me if you would.

Was mis-shipped and I was about ti return it.

Its a nice bike.
Also have a Speed Uno with simikar brake setup. 406 wheels.

Several ithe internal drives also available given the question.

Happy riding everyone.
L Arnold is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-18, 07:34 PM
  #10  
Audrey.Adrian
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: NYC (Manhattan)
Posts: 5

Bikes: Want to buy a Dahon Mu Uno!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
@tds101 I'm not to handy and was hoping to just have everything included. I also noticed that the older Mu Uno (pre-belt 451 tires) was the lightest of the 3. Below are the specs summary. I was also hoping to stick with a one speed for ease of maintenance.

Mu Uno Chain = 9.9 kg (22 lbs)
Mu Uno Belt = 11.4 kg (25 lbs)
Speed Uno = 10.8 kg (24.0 lbs)

So happy I found this forum and thanks for the quick responses everyone!
Audrey.Adrian is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-18, 07:38 PM
  #11  
Audrey.Adrian
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: NYC (Manhattan)
Posts: 5

Bikes: Want to buy a Dahon Mu Uno!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Originally Posted by L Arnold View Post
I have One Mu Uno with Belt Drive, 451 Wheels, Front V brake and Rear Coaster Brake.

If you are interested PM me if you would.

Was mis-shipped and I was about ti return it.

Its a nice bike.
Also have a Speed Uno with simikar brake setup. 406 wheels.

Several ithe internal drives also available given the question.

Happy riding everyone.
@L Arnold I'm interested but do not have the ability to PM yet as I am a newb and have posted under 10x (which means the moderators restrict my access to PMs). Interested in both bikes you have, but would prefer the lighter weight one, and also want to discuss pricing somehow - is this restricted?

Also, would you be able to post photos of both?
Would want a single speed only.
Thanks!
Audrey.Adrian is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-18, 07:59 PM
  #12  
bargainguy
Senior Member
 
bargainguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Trekland
Posts: 1,531
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Audrey.Adrian View Post
@L Arnold I'm interested but do not have the ability to PM yet as I am a newb and have posted under 10x (which means the moderators restrict my access to PMs)...
If you go to the Intro section and say hi to six of your new friends by posting in their posts, you'll be at the 10 post minimum to be able to PM.
bargainguy is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-18, 08:02 PM
  #13  
L Arnold 
**thusi*st
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Boulder, CO
Posts: 200

Bikes: Specialized Touring Expedition '1984, Volagi Liscio, Dahon Visc D18, Dahon Visc SL, Schwinn Moab

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Audrey.Adrian View Post
@L Arnold I'm interested but do not have the ability to PM yet as I am a newb and have posted under 10x (which means the moderators restrict my access to PMs). Interested in both bikes you have, but would prefer the lighter weight one, and also want to discuss pricing somehow - is this restricted?

Also, would you be able to post photos of both?
Would want a single speed only.
Thanks!
See if you have a PM from me. Should do as I sent one.

Fun bikes.
Beat if we weigh the actual bikes.

Don't forget the Jifo Uno also (also have one)
L Arnold is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-18, 08:14 PM
  #14  
Joe Remi
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NorCal
Posts: 1,014

Bikes: Haibike Sduro Trekking SL, Rivendell Appaloosa, Concinnity singlespeed, KHS mini velo (Japan market), Trident Spike trike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Originally Posted by rhenning View Post
Could you add the front brake by drilling a hole in the fork? Roger
No drilling, the hole is already there. I had a Speed Uno that I added a Tektro R559 nutted long-reach caliper to, easy peasy.
Joe Remi is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-18, 08:20 PM
  #15  
L Arnold 
**thusi*st
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Boulder, CO
Posts: 200

Bikes: Specialized Touring Expedition '1984, Volagi Liscio, Dahon Visc D18, Dahon Visc SL, Schwinn Moab

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Joe Remi View Post
No drilling, the hole is already there. I had a Speed Uno that I added a Tektro R559 nutted long-reach caliper to, easy peasy.
Current Speed Unos have the front brake installed. Been so since maybe April this year.

Not well documented is all. Maybe a pic tomorrow.
L Arnold is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-18, 09:43 PM
  #16  
tds101 
Grumpy old man,...
 
tds101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Mastic Beach, NY
Posts: 2,476

Bikes: 7+,...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Originally Posted by L Arnold View Post
Current Speed Unos have the front brake installed. Been so since maybe April this year.

Not well documented is all. Maybe a pic tomorrow.
Is the front fork different on the 2018 Speed Uno? Or is it just a brake added onto the regular fork?
__________________
If it wasn't for you meddling kids,...
tds101 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-18, 08:27 PM
  #17  
L Arnold 
**thusi*st
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Boulder, CO
Posts: 200

Bikes: Specialized Touring Expedition '1984, Volagi Liscio, Dahon Visc D18, Dahon Visc SL, Schwinn Moab

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Originally Posted by tds101 View Post
Is the front fork different on the 2018 Speed Uno? Or is it just a brake added onto the regular fork?
I believe it can be added to all Speed Uno if you have the correct brake.

Need my laptop to post a pic. I wish parts of Bike Forums were easier from time to time.
L Arnold is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-18, 08:14 AM
  #18  
tds101 
Grumpy old man,...
 
tds101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Mastic Beach, NY
Posts: 2,476

Bikes: 7+,...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Originally Posted by L Arnold View Post
I believe it can be added to all Speed Uno if you have the correct brake.

Need my laptop to post a pic. I wish parts of Bike Forums were easier from time to time.
No probs. I was just wondering,...
__________________
If it wasn't for you meddling kids,...
tds101 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-18, 10:19 AM
  #19  
invisiblehand
Part-time epistemologist
 
invisiblehand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 5,867

Bikes: Jamis Nova, Bike Friday NWT, STRIDA, Austro Daimler Vent Noir, Haluzak Horizon, Salsa La Raza, Hollands Tourer, Bike Friday tikit

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Mu Uno Chain = 9.9 kg (22 lbs)
Mu Uno Belt = 11.4 kg (25 lbs)
Speed Uno = 10.8 kg (24.0 lbs)
I expect the belt drive model to be lighter than the chain drive.

Is the above correct? If so, can someone explain why a chain drive bike would be so much lighter? They're both single speeds.
__________________
A narrative on bicycle driving.
invisiblehand is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-18, 10:33 AM
  #20  
L Arnold 
**thusi*st
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Boulder, CO
Posts: 200

Bikes: Specialized Touring Expedition '1984, Volagi Liscio, Dahon Visc D18, Dahon Visc SL, Schwinn Moab

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
They shoukd all be weighed on the same day with the same scale.
Chain drive is ISO 406 wheel. Belt drive is ISO 451. Some part of the difference.

If you want a MU Uno and can find one, I would buy it. Had one and have sold several. Personally though I think the Vitesse D3 is the cool bike for the $. Almost gone now. 3 speed internal main difference to the rider (can't easily make belt drive though but could wrap the chain ala Speed Uno).
L Arnold is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-18, 11:52 AM
  #21  
L Arnold 
**thusi*st
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Boulder, CO
Posts: 200

Bikes: Specialized Touring Expedition '1984, Volagi Liscio, Dahon Visc D18, Dahon Visc SL, Schwinn Moab

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Originally Posted by L Arnold View Post
Current Speed Unos have the front brake installed. Been so since maybe April this year.

Not well documented is all. Maybe a pic tomorrow.
This is a picture of the Brake that is on the current Speed Uno. Hope this helps. Chain cover is still intact.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
2018-01-22 10.32.00.jpg (1.38 MB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg
2018-01-22 10.32.13.jpg (1.71 MB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg
2018-01-22 10.48.00.jpg (1.53 MB, 57 views)
__________________
Landis Arnold
Nomadic, Inc.
Folding Bikes and more in Colorado

Last edited by L Arnold; 02-07-18 at 11:56 AM. Reason: picture post
L Arnold is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-18, 05:50 PM
  #22  
tds101 
Grumpy old man,...
 
tds101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Mastic Beach, NY
Posts: 2,476

Bikes: 7+,...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Originally Posted by L Arnold View Post
This is a picture of the Brake that is on the current Speed Uno. Hope this helps. Chain cover is still intact.
Very nice!

As to the Speed Uno,...can the frame also take a rear brake? I'd update the bike to a Sturmey-Archer 8 speed hub if it can (the old on my Speed is 120mm, and the hub is 120mm as well).
__________________
If it wasn't for you meddling kids,...
tds101 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-18, 06:45 PM
  #23  
L Arnold 
**thusi*st
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Boulder, CO
Posts: 200

Bikes: Specialized Touring Expedition '1984, Volagi Liscio, Dahon Visc D18, Dahon Visc SL, Schwinn Moab

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Originally Posted by tds101 View Post
Very nice!

As to the Speed Uno,...can the frame also take a rear brake? I'd update the bike to a Sturmey-Archer 8 speed hub if it can (the old on my Speed is 120mm, and the hub is 120mm as well).
Same sort of brake should mount in the rear as well. The standard Fender Mount hole is also in the back and likely has a suitable measure. I believe that Speed Uno in some markets uses 2 caliper/hand brakes rather than the rear coaster brake that is offered in the US.

Sounds like you have the right hub to swap out.
__________________
Landis Arnold
Nomadic, Inc.
Folding Bikes and more in Colorado

Last edited by L Arnold; 02-07-18 at 06:45 PM. Reason: in the rear
L Arnold is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-18, 07:28 PM
  #24  
tds101 
Grumpy old man,...
 
tds101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Mastic Beach, NY
Posts: 2,476

Bikes: 7+,...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Originally Posted by L Arnold View Post
Same sort of brake should mount in the rear as well. The standard Fender Mount hole is also in the back and likely has a suitable measure. I believe that Speed Uno in some markets uses 2 caliper/hand brakes rather than the rear coaster brake that is offered in the US.

Sounds like you have the right hub to swap out.
Excellent! Thank you for your speedy reply. Now I'll just discuss the mod with my lbs, and I'll see what I can get done.
__________________
If it wasn't for you meddling kids,...
tds101 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-18, 07:54 PM
  #25  
Joe Remi
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NorCal
Posts: 1,014

Bikes: Haibike Sduro Trekking SL, Rivendell Appaloosa, Concinnity singlespeed, KHS mini velo (Japan market), Trident Spike trike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Originally Posted by tds101 View Post
Excellent! Thank you for your speedy reply. Now I'll just discuss the mod with my lbs, and I'll see what I can get done.
Why wouldn't you just buy a different Dahon Speed with brakes and gears?
Joe Remi is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service