Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Brompton alternative

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Brompton alternative

Old 07-27-19, 11:03 AM
  #1  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Brompton alternative

Hi im looking for a brompton alternative. Its just a bit too expensive for me so i was looking for something i could use and maybe think if i should get a brompton eventually. Preferably something that folds small and fairly light.
treck_dialect is offline  
Old 07-27-19, 11:20 AM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 665
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by treck_dialect
Hi im looking for a brompton alternative. Its just a bit too expensive for me
Any Folder. Or none apart from the Brompton - depends. If there was an alternative that was light, as compact, as good and way cheaper - do you think Brompton would have sold more than 1/2 a million of their bikes? All cheaper alternatives differ in one way or another and only you can judge what is necessary or important to you and what would be a fair compromise for your needs (if there is one). If a new one is too expensive (which would be totally understandable) - why not look for a used one if a Brompton is what you want? Possibly better than spending what you have on a bike that you don't want and this way vaporizing the existing funding basis to get one. If you look at the bike as a way of transport you will probably discover that the Brompton is in no way expensive but saves more money than is costs relatively quickly compared to what you have to spend with alternative ways of transport. If that's not true for you maybe you don't need one but just want one (which again would be totally fair).
berlinonaut is offline  
Old 07-27-19, 11:35 AM
  #3  
LET'S ROLL
 
1nterceptor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: NEW YORK, NY - USA
Posts: 4,782

Bikes: 2014 BMC Gran Fondo, 2013 Brompton S6L-X

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
Dahon EEZZ - a bit smaller than B'ton. Weighs less I think; some folks complain the
folding is more complex than B'ton. Discontinued; can be found for US$600.
Dahon Curl - copied B'ton's fold, so similar in size. Price & weight is about the same.
Chedech - copied B'ton's fold, so similar in size. At over US$2,000; more than standard
6 speed B'on but weighs less. 6 speed titanium/superlight Bi starts at $2,400 I think.
Bike Friday pakiT can be custom ordered; frame size, gearing/speeds, components(belt/chain/
der./IGH/etc.). Usually cheaper. Folding is more like dismantling.
1nterceptor is offline  
Likes For 1nterceptor:
Old 07-27-19, 11:36 AM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
linberl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 3,459

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1319 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
There's a Xootr Swift on SF Craigslist right now for $295. Would be a great choice!
linberl is offline  
Old 07-27-19, 03:05 PM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 531
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by treck_dialect
Hi im looking for a brompton alternative. Its just a bit too expensive for me so i was looking for something i could use and maybe think if i should get a brompton eventually. Preferably something that folds small and fairly light.
Just get a Brompton ; yes there are other options , but no alternatives .
The B75 model is $995 and financing is available .

https://us.brompton.com/bikes/b75-bike
pakeboi is offline  
Old 07-27-19, 08:31 PM
  #6  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by berlinonaut
Any Folder. Or none apart from the Brompton - depends. If there was an alternative that was light, as compact, as good and way cheaper - do you think Brompton would have sold more than 1/2 a million of their bikes? All cheaper alternatives differ in one way or another and only you can judge what is necessary or important to you and what would be a fair compromise for your needs (if there is one). If a new one is too expensive (which would be totally understandable) - why not look for a used one if a Brompton is what you want? Possibly better than spending what you have on a bike that you don't want and this way vaporizing the existing funding basis to get one. If you look at the bike as a way of transport you will probably discover that the Brompton is in no way expensive but saves more money than is costs relatively quickly compared to what you have to spend with alternative ways of transport. If that's not true for you maybe you don't need one but just want one (which again would be totally fair).
Yes i guess you are right. Buy once cry once. Haha
treck_dialect is offline  
Old 07-28-19, 09:08 AM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
bargainguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Trekland
Posts: 2,263
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked 273 Times in 176 Posts
The Brommie is not necessarily the bike for you if you haven't tried it yet. Can you actually test ride one, maybe from a dealer, renting one, or otherwise?
bargainguy is offline  
Old 07-29-19, 05:48 PM
  #8  
55+ Club,...
 
tds101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Somewhere in New York, NY
Posts: 4,226

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1070 Post(s)
Liked 792 Times in 552 Posts
Originally Posted by linberl
There's a Xootr Swift on SF Craigslist right now for $295. Would be a great choice!
Every time I see that a Swift is for sale somewhere I cry a little inside,...
__________________
If it wasn't for you meddling kids,...
tds101 is offline  
Likes For tds101:
Old 07-29-19, 06:21 PM
  #9  
Senior Member
 
linberl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 3,459

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1319 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
Originally Posted by tds101
Every time I see that a Swift is for sale somewhere I cry a little inside,...
...because you want it or because you can't understand why they are selling it?
linberl is offline  
Old 07-29-19, 08:34 PM
  #10  
55+ Club,...
 
tds101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Somewhere in New York, NY
Posts: 4,226

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1070 Post(s)
Liked 792 Times in 552 Posts
Originally Posted by linberl
...because you want it or because you can't understand why they are selling it?
Both,...I miss my Swift. I know it's not currently available around me, and whenever I do see one available, I don't have the resources to get it.
__________________
If it wasn't for you meddling kids,...
tds101 is offline  
Likes For tds101:
Old 07-29-19, 09:13 PM
  #11  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 339
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 38 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by treck_dialect
Hi im looking for a brompton alternative. Its just a bit too expensive for me so i was looking for something i could use and maybe think if i should get a brompton eventually. Preferably something that folds small and fairly light.
Google for 3sixty Brompton clones. They are much cheaper and lighter than UK Bromptons.
Raxel is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
avole
Folding Bikes
30
08-18-23 12:02 AM
Kabuto
Folding Bikes
21
01-05-19 02:36 PM
MartinOne
Folding Bikes
33
01-16-15 01:45 AM
chucky
Folding Bikes
214
06-27-13 02:10 PM
Hemet Rider
Folding Bikes
9
05-01-10 12:18 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.