Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Suitcases that fit 20" bikes currently

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Suitcases that fit 20" bikes currently

Old 08-16-22, 10:45 AM
  #1  
Thunder_Tree
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2022
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Suitcases that fit 20" bikes currently

Can anyone recommend suitcases that fit 20-in folding bikes that are currently being sold? There are quite a few great recommendations in old threads here, but all of those suitcases seem to be out of production.
Thunder_Tree is offline  
Old 08-16-22, 11:28 AM
  #2  
Pinigis 
Senior Member
 
Pinigis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Henrico, VA
Posts: 1,376

Bikes: Origami Gazelle, Origami Crane 8, Origami Cricket 7

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 189 Posts
Originally Posted by Thunder_Tree View Post
Can anyone recommend suitcases that fit 20-in folding bikes that are currently being sold? There are quite a few great recommendations in old threads here, but all of those suitcases seem to be out of production.
Well, that is going to depend upon what your really looking for. The Samsonite f'lite 31 is popular, and still readily available, but it is an oversized bag and you do run the risk of paying an additional $175 oversized bag fee. But, this would require the gate agent to make the monumental effort to measure your bag.

What bike are you trying to pack?
__________________
Paul Pinigis
Owner of Origami Bicycle Company
Pinigis is offline  
Old 08-16-22, 12:01 PM
  #3  
2_i 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Michigan
Posts: 3,487

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M27R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 743 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 207 Posts
Originally Posted by Pinigis View Post
Well, that is going to depend upon what your really looking for. The Samsonite f'lite 31 is popular, and still readily available, but it is an oversized bag and you do run the risk of paying an additional $175 oversized bag fee. But, this would require the gate agent to make the monumental effort to measure your bag.
F'lite in 31" size is now the standard travel suitcase for myself and my family, on occasions becoming a container for the 20" BF NWT. In spite of multiple carriers and ends of the world, its size was never challenged. While it is still in the pipeline in the market, some of the offerings are pretty expensive. It should cost under $200. Of course there may be some very cheap offerings too, that need to be checked as potentially fraudulent.
2_i is offline  
Old 08-16-22, 06:37 PM
  #4  
Thunder_Tree
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2022
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pinigis View Post
Well, that is going to depend upon what your really looking for. The Samsonite f'lite 31 is popular, and still readily available, but it is an oversized bag and you do run the risk of paying an additional $175 oversized bag fee. But, this would require the gate agent to make the monumental effort to measure your bag.

What bike are you trying to pack?
I'm trying to pack a Dahon Mariner D7.
Thunder_Tree is offline  
Old 08-16-22, 06:48 PM
  #5  
Thunder_Tree
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2022
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 2_i View Post
F'lite in 31" size is now the standard travel suitcase for myself and my family, on occasions becoming a container for the 20" BF NWT. In spite of multiple carriers and ends of the world, its size was never challenged. While it is still in the pipeline in the market, some of the offerings are pretty expensive. It should cost under $200. Of course there may be some very cheap offerings too, that need to be checked as potentially fraudulent.
It appears that the F'Lite is being phased out. It's no longer stocked on most sites, and Amazon US only offers it for $400. (And it's not available in my country at all).
Thunder_Tree is offline  
Old 08-16-22, 07:11 PM
  #6  
CliffordK
Senior Member
 
CliffordK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Eugene, Oregon, USA
Posts: 27,273
Mentioned: 216 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16982 Post(s)
Liked 3,848 Times in 2,851 Posts
You can sometimes find the Samsonite Oyster in second hand stores, or on E-Bay.
CliffordK is offline  
Likes For CliffordK:
Old 08-16-22, 07:58 PM
  #7  
2_i 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Michigan
Posts: 3,487

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M27R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 743 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 207 Posts
Originally Posted by Thunder_Tree View Post
It appears that the F'Lite is being phased out. It's no longer stocked on most sites, and Amazon US only offers it for $400. (And it's not available in my country at all).
What country are you in? We bought our first F'Lite in Europe, where they were pretty common. In the US, these cases seemed to be available only from on-line vendors. When I needed to get replacement parts at some point, I needed to get them from UK.
2_i is offline  
Old 08-17-22, 10:29 AM
  #8  
Schwinnsta
Schwinnasaur
 
Schwinnsta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 1,382
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 74 Posts
You could look into a Zizzo suitcase. According to their website, a Zizzo will fit without disassembly. It is quite likely to be oversize per US airline regulations, but as a Brompton owner who has flown with oversize suitcases, they never check for size. Right now they are half price. As a Zizzo owner myself, I am tempted, but I have a Brompton with a compatible suitcase already.
Schwinnsta is offline  
Old 08-17-22, 03:02 PM
  #9  
Pinigis 
Senior Member
 
Pinigis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Henrico, VA
Posts: 1,376

Bikes: Origami Gazelle, Origami Crane 8, Origami Cricket 7

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 189 Posts
Originally Posted by Schwinnsta View Post
You could look into a Zizzo suitcase. According to their website, a Zizzo will fit without disassembly. It is quite likely to be oversize per US airline regulations, but as a Brompton owner who has flown with oversize suitcases, they never check for size. Right now they are half price. As a Zizzo owner myself, I am tempted, but I have a Brompton with a compatible suitcase already.
Yes, definitely oversized....actually HUGE. It is 77.2" (L+W+H) vs. the 62" limit applied by most airlines. I don't know that you are going to sneak that one past the gate agent.
__________________
Paul Pinigis
Owner of Origami Bicycle Company
Pinigis is offline  
Old 08-21-22, 06:50 PM
  #10  
Hinge
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 129
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK View Post
You can sometimes find the Samsonite Oyster in second hand stores, or on E-Bay.
If I recall correctly, the Oyster suitcases are quite narrow. Maybe around 8" or 9" internally which makes it tough to fit your average 20" folder, but maybe it's possible.

Originally Posted by Schwinnsta View Post
You could look into a Zizzo suitcase. According to their website, a Zizzo will fit without disassembly. It is quite likely to be oversize per US airline regulations...

I didn't know the the Zizzo suitcase existed. It looks great. $150 seems pretty reasonable. I wonder how rigid the whole thing is. I think you would still want to put some kind of post through the center (pvc pipe for example) to prevent crushing.

The ability to pack the bike without major disassembly sounds VERY appealing. The last thing you want to do when traveling is spend your first and last days unpacking and packing your bike! Depending on how cautious you are, packing a bike into a Flite 31 can be a rather time consuming process. I know others do it fairly quickly, but It takes me forever, but I definitely go completely overboard on padding everything and I disassemble the bike quite a bit.

Aside from the size, the other concern I would have is that the case itself is 23.5 lbs. Lots of 20" folders are in the 25 lb ballpark. This would put you quite close to the 50 lb airline limit with no room for extra stuff.

Food for thought

Last edited by Hinge; 08-21-22 at 06:57 PM.
Hinge is offline  
Old 08-21-22, 07:16 PM
  #11  
CliffordK
Senior Member
 
CliffordK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Eugene, Oregon, USA
Posts: 27,273
Mentioned: 216 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16982 Post(s)
Liked 3,848 Times in 2,851 Posts
Originally Posted by Hinge View Post
If I recall correctly, the Oyster suitcases are quite narrow. Maybe around 8" or 9" internally which makes it tough to fit your average 20" folder, but maybe it's possible.
The Oyster suitcases have an odd taper to them. They were the suitcase of choice for the Bike Friday perhaps 20 years ago. It is a tight fit. I haven't seen any official instructions, but I usually pull both wheels, remove the pedals, and split the handlebars, then start packing. I can get the whole bike in the suitcase. Technically the trailer frame and wheels are also supposed to fit inside with the bicycle, but I've never quite gotten it that tightly packed.
CliffordK is offline  
Old 08-21-22, 07:57 PM
  #12  
Hinge
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 129
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK View Post
The Oyster suitcases have an odd taper to them. They were the suitcase of choice for the Bike Friday perhaps 20 years ago. It is a tight fit. I haven't seen any official instructions, but I usually pull both wheels, remove the pedals, and split the handlebars, then start packing. I can get the whole bike in the suitcase. Technically the trailer frame and wheels are also supposed to fit inside with the bicycle, but I've never quite gotten it that tightly packed.
Wow, that's good to know. I see them all the time going for next to nothing. I should get one and see if I can fit a bike in there.
Hinge is offline  
Old 08-21-22, 08:32 PM
  #13  
2_i 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Michigan
Posts: 3,487

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M27R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 743 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 207 Posts
I should throw in the ergonomics of a suitcase. A suitcase with 4 spinner wheels is very easy to handle on flat, reasonably smooth surfaces. An old-style 2-wheel suitcase such as Oyster is a drag under the same circumstances. Of course, when the surfaces are coarse and consistent rolling is not possible, both suitcase types become a similar drag.
2_i is offline  
Old 10-01-22, 12:32 AM
  #14  
kwantani
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2021
Posts: 65
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 21 Posts
https://euromini.zendesk.com/hc/en-u...fly-somewhere-

kwantani is offline  
Likes For kwantani:
Old 10-01-22, 07:01 AM
  #15  
Pinigis 
Senior Member
 
Pinigis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Henrico, VA
Posts: 1,376

Bikes: Origami Gazelle, Origami Crane 8, Origami Cricket 7

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 189 Posts
Originally Posted by Thunder_Tree View Post
Can anyone recommend suitcases that fit 20-in folding bikes that are currently being sold? There are quite a few great recommendations in old threads here, but all of those suitcases seem to be out of production.
it depends upon the bike.
__________________
Paul Pinigis
Owner of Origami Bicycle Company
Pinigis is offline  
Old 10-01-22, 07:33 AM
  #16  
tcs
Palmer
 
tcs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 7,573

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, 1982 Stumpjumper, Alex Moulton AM, 2010 Dawes Briercliffe, 2017 Dahon Curl i8, 2021 Motobecane Turino 1x12

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 1,001 Times in 613 Posts
https://usa.dahon.com/products/foldi...case-20-wheels

Note: there are two sizes. This is the bigger one ↑ This is the smaller one ↓

tcs is offline  
Old 10-05-22, 11:25 PM
  #17  
pinholecam
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 601
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 79 Posts
Thanks for the share.
I am just packing my daughter's bike for a trip and this is good reference.
I need to rework on how I DIY her bag box to be this small or a bit bigger. (current one is too big, w/o removing tires )
pinholecam is offline  
Old 10-19-22, 02:55 PM
  #18  
staehpj1 
Senior Member
 
staehpj1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Tallahassee, FL
Posts: 11,123
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 954 Post(s)
Liked 422 Times in 325 Posts
I have the samsonite oyster. I found it at a thrift store for $7 after much searching. It is quite tricky to fit my helios in it. I am not sure if I'd have figure out how to fit it all in unless I'd found directions from someone who had worked it out. It is enough of a pain to get in the case that I worry about TSA getting it back in if they ever unpack it. To that end I pack detailed packing instructions in the case with a bold note indicating what they are. I still worry so I include my cell number.

Many domestic US airlines no longer charge oversize fees for bikes. They fly as one of your regular bags with no extra fee. For many folks that may eliminate the need for worry about case size. It may even eliminate the need to take a folding bike at all if baggage fees are a major factor in that decision. I choose airlines that offer free oversize baggage for bikes even when not flying with one.
__________________
Pete in Tallahassee
Check out my profile, articles, and trip journals at:
https:/www.crazyguyonabike.com/staehpj1


staehpj1 is offline  
Old 10-25-22, 11:43 PM
  #19  
MAK
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Delaware
Posts: 1,672

Bikes: Yes, I have bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 62 Posts
You don't give your location nor have you identified the bike. My suggestion is to look for a Marshall's, T.J. Max, Home Goods, Sierra Trading Post, all the same mother company, and take your bike in and try out their selections. All four have large luggage departments that constantly change and they are essentially outlet stores with reduced prices. They also often feature close outs so they sometimes have hard to find models. There is one other related company, but the name escapes me at the moment.
MAK is offline  
Old 10-27-22, 08:23 AM
  #20  
staehpj1 
Senior Member
 
staehpj1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Tallahassee, FL
Posts: 11,123
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 954 Post(s)
Liked 422 Times in 325 Posts
Originally Posted by Hinge View Post
Wow, that's good to know. I see them all the time going for next to nothing. I should get one and see if I can fit a bike in there.
One of the key things with my Helios was to twist the fork to get one fork leg between the rear dropouts.

Here are the directions I included in the case when I loaned my Helios to a friend who took it to Spain:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/0...f=true&sd=true

This works for the Helios and the Samsonite Oyster. The entire bike fits in the case. Packing is a bit of a pain, but it all fits. It may work of other models, or not. You'll need to try it and see.
__________________
Pete in Tallahassee
Check out my profile, articles, and trip journals at:
https:/www.crazyguyonabike.com/staehpj1


staehpj1 is offline  
Likes For staehpj1:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.