Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

RS Cast Parts and related -

Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

RS Cast Parts and related -

Old 12-21-23, 11:04 AM
  #1  
Full Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 447
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 10 Posts
RS Cast Parts and related -

-
No Longer Shen
.
In 2001 I went on a tear and dove head first into parts design and production. Every year or so I added to the menu or tweaked what was already there. By the middle teens there were six lug sets, two rear dropout styles in five different angles, front dropouts, three bottom brackets, four fork crowns, some braze-ons, and a world-class seat lug binder bolt.
.
When my foundry announced they were closing in 2017 there was a mad rush to place one last order that'd last until forever. I wired a $22,000 payment for what I thought would keep all of us in parts. Lo and behold, my supplier stayed open all along and I eventually ran down the inventory. Last spring, once again I was told the doors were closing.
.
Since then I've had all my tools (some 37 individual molds, one for each RS part) sent to a new foundry. Samples were made. Comments were listened to. And eventually everything got back to normal. As of this week, I'm confident that my materials will continue to be produced. The work I've received is of a higher quality than ever.
.
The materials page on my site describes each part. If you have any questions about these, please email me. The link is here: https://richardsachs.com/materials/







__________________
Atmo bis
e-RICHIE is offline  
Old 12-21-23, 11:18 AM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Andrew R Stewart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 18,048

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4191 Post(s)
Liked 3,834 Times in 2,293 Posts
And for all your passion and efforts we are grateful. Andy
__________________
AndrewRStewart
Andrew R Stewart is offline  
Old 12-21-23, 02:33 PM
  #3  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: San Francisco - it used to be nice
Posts: 75

Bikes: 1970 Alex Singer, 63 Hetchins, 75 Motobecane Townie, more . . .

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Allotec ?

Originally Posted by e-RICHIE
-
No Longer Shen
.
In 2001 I went on a tear and dove head first into parts design and production. Every year or so I added to the menu or tweaked what was already there. By the middle teens there were six lug sets, two rear dropout styles in five different angles, front dropouts, three bottom brackets, four fork crowns, some braze-ons, and a world-class seat lug binder bolt.
.
When my foundry announced they were closing in 2017 there was a mad rush to place one last order that'd last until forever. I wired a $22,000 payment for what I thought would keep all of us in parts. Lo and behold, my supplier stayed open all along and I eventually ran down the inventory. Last spring, once again I was told the doors were closing.
.
Since then I've had all my tools (some 37 individual molds, one for each RS part) sent to a new foundry. Samples were made. Comments were listened to. And eventually everything got back to normal. As of this week, I'm confident that my materials will continue to be produced. The work I've received is of a higher quality than ever.
.
The materials page on my site describes each part. If you have any questions about these, please email me. The link is here: https://richardsachs.com/materials/







So did you shift production to Allotec ?
I tried some of their earlier stuff, and it wasn't too impressive. But maybe they just needed better quality casting molds and feedback ?

It would be really nice if they could pick up where LS left off.

Happy Holidays,
Michael
vintage cellar is offline  
Old 12-21-23, 02:36 PM
  #4  
Full Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 447
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by vintage cellar
So did you shift production to Allotec ?
I tried some of their earlier stuff, and it wasn't too impressive. But maybe they just needed better quality casting molds and feedback ?

It would be really nice if they could pick up where LS left off.

Happy Holidays,
Michael

Not Allotec. We tried them briefly in the early teens for two of my then-new lug sets and eventually decided they couldn't handle the project.
__________________
Atmo bis
e-RICHIE is offline  
Old 12-21-23, 06:09 PM
  #5  
Randomhead
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Happy Valley, Pennsylvania
Posts: 24,383
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,683 Times in 2,507 Posts
that's an impressive body of work. I'm glad you found a source that can make good parts.
unterhausen is offline  
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 12-25-23, 12:43 AM
  #6  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 135
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 66 Posts
My old web link to Long Shen directed me to Tange (https://tange-design.com/longsheng.php) . This statement is posted at the bottom of the 'history' section:

"2023 – Tange and LS terminated cooperation . LS shut down the factory . Tange keeps running LS brands and producing all LS merchandises."

I scrolled thru various sections of the Tange/Long Shen website (https://tange-design.com/longsheng.php) , and it looks like a good number of frame parts are still being manufactured.

Andrew G.
Andrew_G is offline  
Old 12-25-23, 08:20 AM
  #7  
Full Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 447
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew_G
My old web link to Long Shen directed me to Tange (https://tange-design.com/longsheng.php) . This statement is posted at the bottom of the 'history' section:

"2023 – Tange and LS terminated cooperation . LS shut down the factory . Tange keeps running LS brands and producing all LS merchandises."

I scrolled thru various sections of the Tange/Long Shen website (https://tange-design.com/longsheng.php) , and it looks like a good number of frame parts are still being manufactured.

Andrew G.
Yes, I know. Since before 2017 their combined missives to clients regarding what’s next have been shrouded in code, such that I lost faith. I’ve never used any of their cast parts from the catalog but am happy to know they’re continuing on a limited basis.
__________________
Atmo bis
e-RICHIE is offline  
Old 12-25-23, 04:05 PM
  #8  
Banned.
 
Nessism's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Torrance, CA
Posts: 3,061

Bikes: Homebuilt steel

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2193 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 337 Posts
e-RICHIE
Do you sell parts to garage builders? I seem to recall, maybe wrong, that early in your lug selling career, that there was a stipulation that only pros, or those with framebuilders insurance, could purchase.

Not sure why I'm asking, because I only build for myself, and I already have a backlog of projects, but your parts are just so inspiring! Thanks for supporting the community!
Nessism is offline  
Old 12-26-23, 04:35 AM
  #9  
Full Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 447
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Nessism
e-RICHIE
Do you sell parts to garage builders? I seem to recall, maybe wrong, that early in your lug selling career, that there was a stipulation that only pros, or those with framebuilders insurance, could purchase.

Not sure why I'm asking, because I only build for myself, and I already have a backlog of projects, but your parts are just so inspiring! Thanks for supporting the community!
yes, order away!

thank you
__________________
Atmo bis
e-RICHIE is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.