Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Are Cycling Sunglasses necessary?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Are Cycling Sunglasses necessary?

Old 10-15-15, 11:38 AM
  #1  
pat0115
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Staten Island NY
Posts: 63

Bikes: 2016 Cannondale Quick Speed 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Are Cycling Sunglasses necessary?

If I have a good pair of polarized sunglasses that look good and feel comfortable when I ride, is there a need to buy glasses labeled as cycling sunglasses? Do cycling sunglasses offer anything a good pair of regular sunglasses for not? Most of the cycling sunglasses I have seen look cheap and few are polarized. Using a pair of Bolle now
pat0115 is offline  
Old 10-15-15, 11:53 AM
  #2  
cafzali
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Westchester County, NY
Posts: 1,289

Bikes: Giant TCR SL3 and Trek 1.5

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When you get right down to it, there's no real reason to buy any clothing or accessory like sunglasses that's specifically labeled for cycling. The litmus should be whether a specific product performs the desired function. If it does, buy it.

It's hard to get away from certain cycling specific items, such as bibs, standard cycling shorts, etc. But you don't have to wear jerseys when riding, don't have to buy a particular brand, etc. When you can save money, save it and use that money for things where the right product is more important.
cafzali is offline  
Old 10-15-15, 11:56 AM
  #3  
fietsbob 
coprolite
 
fietsbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Posts: 41,396

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6921 Post(s)
Liked 245 Times in 203 Posts
the curved shape fits under bike hats worn under you helmet better, but it can be safety glasses too,

the corners of regular glasses can get the glasses pressed down on your nose.. by hats
fietsbob is offline  
Old 10-15-15, 11:56 AM
  #4  
YogaKat
Padawan
 
YogaKat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 838

Bikes: Orbea Mitis Dama, Bridgestone Sirius, Cranbrook Cruiser, Cheap Mountain Bike

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cafzali View Post
When you get right down to it, there's no real reason to buy any clothing or accessory like sunglasses that's specifically labeled for cycling. The litmus should be whether a specific product performs the desired function. If it does, buy it.

It's hard to get away from certain cycling specific items, such as bibs, standard cycling shorts, etc. But you don't have to wear jerseys when riding, don't have to buy a particular brand, etc. When you can save money, save it and use that money for things where the right product is more important.
I like this answer. In fact since I've started I have been checking out TJMaxx and have found cycling shorts and some nice moisture wicking tops for next to nothing on the clearance rack.
YogaKat is offline  
Old 10-15-15, 12:02 PM
  #5  
demoncyclist
Senior Member
 
demoncyclist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Medway, MA
Posts: 2,727

Bikes: 2011 Lynskey Sportive, 1988 Cannondale SM400

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Other "sports glasses" or even safety glasses can work fine- they need to block the wind, provide protection from flying objects, and have UV protection (unless they are clear for night riding). If you want cycling specific shades, then get them. I wear a pair of Maui Jim sunglasses when I ride. They have my prescription in them, are polarized and have full UV protection, keep the wind and foreign objects out of my eyes, and I think they look good too. But, they are not cycling specific. Otherwise, I couldn't use them for kayaking and other activities...
demoncyclist is offline  
Old 10-15-15, 12:09 PM
  #6  
cafzali
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Westchester County, NY
Posts: 1,289

Bikes: Giant TCR SL3 and Trek 1.5

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by YogaKat View Post
I like this answer. In fact since I've started I have been checking out TJMaxx and have found cycling shorts and some nice moisture wicking tops for next to nothing on the clearance rack.
Tops are by far the easiest way for both men and women to save money. I do have some cycling jerseys, but rarely wear them. Most all of my riding is in Russell athletic shirts I got from Target years ago. Shorts can be tricky because sizing and fit can vary between brands and you'll notice the lack of a comfortable fit in your shorts.
cafzali is offline  
Old 10-15-15, 12:16 PM
  #7  
79pmooney
A Roadie Forever
 
79pmooney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 7,190

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1770 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 166 Times in 124 Posts
For a little perspective: once the vast majority of the roads raced on were paced, a lot of racing cyclists didn't wear glasses at all until rather recently. Look at the pre-helmet photos. After goggles were no longer needed for dirt roads, racers rode with no eye covering.

Yes, poor on the UV. Tiring, But the bike can be ridden just fine. I did all my racing with wire rim glass glasses, ala Laurent Fignon though I was before his time. (Glass is a pretty good UV block, unlike the untreated plastic lenses.) And now I wear prescription glasses and sunglasses, but not cycling specific. In fact, I wear glasses that have nearly rectangular and high outside corners so my helmet mirror is in a very good place, out of the way but completely in focus. (And I wear my helmet straps outside my helmet. Those glasses cost me enough that I don't want them being tossed off every time my helmet gets jarred. (Or I forget and just pull my helmet off.)

Ben
79pmooney is offline  
Old 10-15-15, 12:28 PM
  #8  
Bandera 
~>~
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: TX Hill Country
Posts: 5,936
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 93 Posts
Originally Posted by pat0115 View Post
If I have a good pair of polarized sunglasses that look good and feel comfortable when I ride, is there a need to buy glasses labeled as cycling sunglasses?
Functionally you are good to go, for posing at Starbucks not so much........

-Bandera
__________________
'74 Raleigh Internat'l. '77 Trek TX900 FG. '90 Vitus 979. '10 Merckx EMX3. '13 Soma Stanyan
Bandera is offline  
Old 10-15-15, 12:30 PM
  #9  
YogaKat
Padawan
 
YogaKat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 838

Bikes: Orbea Mitis Dama, Bridgestone Sirius, Cranbrook Cruiser, Cheap Mountain Bike

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cafzali View Post
Shorts can be tricky because sizing and fit can vary between brands and you'll notice the lack of a comfortable fit in your shorts.
True story, although I did find a pair in my size for 20.00.
YogaKat is offline  
Old 10-15-15, 12:31 PM
  #10  
caloso
Senior Member
 
caloso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Sacramento, California, USA
Posts: 38,314

Bikes: Ridley Excalibur, Gazelle Champion Mondial, On-One Pompino, Specialized Rock Hopper

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1951 Post(s)
Liked 349 Times in 193 Posts
Polarized lenses can make some computer displays difficult to read.
caloso is offline  
Old 10-15-15, 12:36 PM
  #11  
GovernorSilver
Senior Member
 
GovernorSilver's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Washington DC Metro Area
Posts: 1,218

Bikes: Breezer Uptown 8, Jamis Renegade Expert

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have cycling sunglasses, but only because the ones I had before would slip off my face when I sweated. Funny how those 90+ F riding days seem so long ago.

If my old sunglasses stayed securely on my face regardless of sweat, I'd be wearing those instead.
GovernorSilver is offline  
Old 10-15-15, 12:53 PM
  #12  
hyhuu
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: NoVA
Posts: 1,419

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The top of my cycling glasses is higher than my normal glasses. That allows me to see better when riding in the drop or drop-like. With the other glasses, I have to bend my neck a bit more and that's something I can't do very long.
hyhuu is offline  
Old 10-15-15, 02:57 PM
  #13  
SpeshulEd 
Senior Member
 
SpeshulEd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 8,089
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Cycling glasses are nice and offer some added benefits here and there but you can wear or not wear any glasses you'd like.
__________________
Hey guys, lets go play bikes! Strava

SpeshulEd is offline  
Old 10-15-15, 03:13 PM
  #14  
RPK79
Custom User Title
 
RPK79's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: SE MN
Posts: 11,216

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix Pro & Quintana Roo Kilo

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2844 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Are cycling glasses necessary? No, but as others have said they are nice. They're shaped in a way that prevents wind in the eyes and they stay snug to your head so they don't fall off.

Originally Posted by cafzali View Post
Tops are by far the easiest way for both men and women to save money. I do have some cycling jerseys, but rarely wear them. Most all of my riding is in Russell athletic shirts I got from Target years ago. Shorts can be tricky because sizing and fit can vary between brands and you'll notice the lack of a comfortable fit in your shorts.
Where do you put your stuff if you don't have a cycling jersey on?
RPK79 is offline  
Old 10-15-15, 03:55 PM
  #15  
SpeshulEd 
Senior Member
 
SpeshulEd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 8,089
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RPK79 View Post
Where do you put your stuff if you don't have a cycling jersey on?
In the mailbox hanging from the saddle.
__________________
Hey guys, lets go play bikes! Strava

SpeshulEd is offline  
Old 10-15-15, 04:15 PM
  #16  
StanSeven
Administrator
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Delaware shore
Posts: 13,180

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 617 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by RPK79 View Post
Are cycling glasses necessary? No, but as others have said they are nice. They're shaped in a way that prevents wind in the eyes and they stay snug to your head so they don't fall off.
Excellent answer! I used to not wear glasses at all. Then I started with regular prescription glasses for better vision. I found myself squinting in bright sunlight that gets tiring on long rides. Then there's the wind on steep descents that makes my eyes tear up do I can't see. While regular sunglasses help with sun glare, they aren't that good for blocking out wind.

If you ride slow and short, you may not need them. With increased speeds and distance, the more important they become.
StanSeven is offline  
Old 10-15-15, 04:20 PM
  #17  
Machka 
In Real Life
 
Machka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Down under down under
Posts: 51,558

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 134 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2942 Post(s)
Liked 142 Times in 89 Posts
No, cycling sunglasses are not necessary.

I've been cycling seriously for 25 years and have covered a lot of distance and have rarely worn sunglasses of any sort.

Sometimes I think they might be nice, but my prescription means that if I got some, they would be hugely expensive. So I don't bother.
Machka is offline  
Old 10-15-15, 04:24 PM
  #18  
Clyde1820
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 806

Bikes: 2012 Trek DS 8.5

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by pat0115 View Post
If I have a good pair of polarized sunglasses that look good and feel comfortable when I ride, is there a need to buy glasses labeled as cycling sunglasses?
IMO, if the glasses are designed well for the lighting conditions, the wind/environmental conditions and they're comfortable for the intended use, then they're perfect.

Have had the Oakley "M" frame wrap-arounds for years, with the polarized lenses. Keeps nearly all the blowing dust and air away from the eyes, has fairly good seal at the eyebrows (to keep the light out), and the polarized lenses are wonderful. Wouldn't want any other type of sunglasses for outdoors use where wind/dust is involved, actually, short of going to full goggles or mountaineer-style.

Can't imagine what having a "cycling" label on them would change, assuming those factors get met.
Clyde1820 is offline  
Old 10-15-15, 04:31 PM
  #19  
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli
 
Sy Reene's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Wherever I am
Posts: 4,918

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2341 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 58 Posts
I think the key question is whether whatever glasses you want to wear are impact resistant/safety. ie.. glass lensed glasses probably aren't a great idea.
Sy Reene is offline  
Old 10-16-15, 12:58 PM
  #20  
AverageJoe2.0
Member
 
AverageJoe2.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Midwest USA
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've never owned a pair of "cycling" sunglasses in my life. I like ANSI certified safety glasses and have a few different pair in different tints. All are polycarbonate lenses with UVA/B protection. I've got clear, yellow, dark amber and dark smoke for various conditions. No Oakley or Tifosi here. I've got Remington, Dewalt, and Stanley.

AverageJoe2.0 is offline  
Old 10-16-15, 02:21 PM
  #21  
hoodat
Senior Member
 
hoodat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Otay Mesa in South San Diego
Posts: 133

Bikes: Worksman Port o trike, Cozy cargo trike; both electric.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by YogaKat View Post
True story, although I did find a pair in my size for 20.00.
Made in China shorts are usually undersize. I buy them one size larger than I do in regular clothing.
hoodat is offline  
Old 10-16-15, 02:57 PM
  #22  
Joe Minton
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Southern California
Posts: 592

Bikes: Gary Fisher Hi-Fi Deluxe, Giant Stance, Cannondale Synapse, Diamondback 8sp IGH, 1989 Merckx

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use "Remington" shooting glasses:
(http://www.amazon.com/Remington-Shoo...0_SR160%2C160_

They are cheap and fit well.

Joe
Joe Minton is offline  
Old 10-16-15, 06:05 PM
  #23  
ltxi
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Colorado
Posts: 1,719
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AverageJoe2.0 View Post
I've never owned a pair of "cycling" sunglasses in my life. I like ANSI certified safety glasses and have a few different pair in different tints. All are polycarbonate lenses with UVA/B protection. I've got clear, yellow, dark amber and dark smoke for various conditions. No Oakley or Tifosi here. I've got Remington, Dewalt, and Stanley.
x2 on the DeWalt safety glasses. My home workshop glasses be why I decided to try them for bike riding. Work great and I haven't yet been snubbed by the Starbucks crowd neither.

Last edited by ltxi; 10-16-15 at 07:56 PM.
ltxi is offline  
Old 10-16-15, 07:08 PM
  #24  
T Stew
Senior Member
 
T Stew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Central Ohio
Posts: 865

Bikes: All 80s Schwinns: 88Prologue, 88Circuit, 88Ontare, 88KOM, 86SS, 88Tempo, 88V'ger, 80V'ger, 88LeTour, 82LTLuxeMixte, 87 Cimarron, 86H.Sierra, 92Paramount9c

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Clyde1820 View Post
Can't imagine what having a "cycling" label on them would change, assuming those factors get met.
The Oakley's meant for cycling have a straight stem, whatever that means. So their cycling ones are actually different - it is not just a label. If I recall when I was shopping for glasses my Oakleys or maybe it was the other pair I was looking at were available with the straight stem for cycling but I wasn't into bike yet at that point and I just went with the normal version. I got the Racing Jacket and love em. Aside from the super cheap bin of terrible looking frames at the eye doctor, the Oakleys were really no more expensive than most of the other frames (most of them being >$200 and much more than the Oakleys actually). So the tables are turned when we are talking prescription glasses. And my health insurance paid a good chunk of them since they are prescription, and my tax free health savings account paid the rest.

To the OP... "necessary" is probably a poor choice of words. Probably 90% of cyclists don't wear cycling sunglasses so how could they be necessary?

Last edited by T Stew; 10-16-15 at 07:12 PM.
T Stew is offline  
Old 10-16-15, 08:01 PM
  #25  
ltxi
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Colorado
Posts: 1,719
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by T Stew View Post
The Oakley's meant for cycling have a straight stem, whatever that means. So their cycling ones are actually different - it is not just a label. If I recall when I was shopping for glasses my Oakleys or maybe it was the other pair I was looking at were available with the straight stem for cycling but I wasn't into bike yet at that point and I just went with the normal version. I got the Racing Jacket and love em. Aside from the super cheap bin of terrible looking frames at the eye doctor, the Oakleys were really no more expensive than most of the other frames (most of them being >$200 and much more than the Oakleys actually). So the tables are turned when we are talking prescription glasses. And my health insurance paid a good chunk of them since they are prescription, and my tax free health savings account paid the rest.

To the OP... "necessary" is probably a poor choice of words. Probably 90% of cyclists don't wear cycling sunglasses so how could they be necessary?
Most cyclists around here wear protective glasses. The casual riders I meet daily on the MUPs, not so much.
ltxi is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.