General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Weight Loss

Old 10-22-17, 07:59 PM
  #1  
Pasty
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Texas, USA
Posts: 5

Bikes: Trek FX 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Weight Loss

I started riding on October 5th and have been riding almost everyday since. Iíve been pushing myself hard and the improvement is visible almost daily. I weigh 250 pounds (114 kg) and am about 5í11Ē (180 cm). I havenít lost any weight and I know this is because Iím gaining muscle at the same time I am burning fat. However, Iím curious as to how long it might take before the muscle gain slows and I actually start losing weight. I understand itís different for everyone so maybe you guys/gals could just share about how long it took for you to see weight loss so I can maybe get some perspective. Thank you all in advance. If anyone wants to see my progress, my name on Strava is Ryan Storey. I live in Texas, USA.
Pasty is offline  
Old 10-22-17, 08:57 PM
  #2  
Machka 
In Real Life
 
Machka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Down under down under
Posts: 51,445

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2873 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 52 Posts
Sorry to disappoint you, but you're not gaining muscle ... or at least not enough to matter when it comes to weight.

If you want to lose weight, you need to track your calorie intake and ensure that it is less than what you are burning. I recommend using a tracking program like My Fitness Pal, or similar.
Machka is offline  
Old 10-22-17, 09:11 PM
  #3  
FBinNY 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: New Rochelle, NY
Posts: 36,019

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 122 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4342 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Everybody is different, and various things are happening, so you won't lose weight early on, and especially can't expect miracles in 2 weeks,

Exercise is part of a healthy weight loss regimen, but not a replacement for diet management.

Also, it's hard to gain strength and build muscle, while your body is denied the necessary fuel.

So, you can get fitter or stronger, or you can knock off the pounds, but cannot do both at the same time, except very gradually over the long haul.


Keep it up, watch your diet, eating only enough to keep going, and plan on losing 5-10 pounds a month, no more, and hopefully not less.

If you need encouragement, find it in feeling better, and your pants becoming looser.

BTW, once you achieve a certain level of fitness, you'll be riding faster and longer, which means you can burn more calories. It won't male you lose weight faster, but does mean you can relax a big on the diet, which makes staying the course easier.
__________________
FB
Chain-L site

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

ďNever argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.Ē, George Carlin

ďOne accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinionsĒ - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.

Last edited by FBinNY; 10-22-17 at 10:28 PM.
FBinNY is offline  
Old 10-22-17, 09:25 PM
  #4  
General Geoff
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Allentown, Pennsylvania
Posts: 640

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Cooper CX; 2007 Cannondale F4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Losing weight is as simple as limiting caloric intake. I lost 80lbs in ~6 months by simply skipping eating for a day or two at a time.
Fasting doesn't work for everyone (correction, it does work for everyone but not everyone can tolerate potential hunger pains and associated side effects), but it worked great for me.

I didn't start really trying to improve my strength and endurance until I lost the weight I wanted.
General Geoff is offline  
Old 10-22-17, 09:28 PM
  #5  
adamhenry
MUP World Champ
 
adamhenry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Oceanside, CA
Posts: 365

Bikes: '17 Defy Adv 2, Electra Verse 21D

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Machka is right on. The way to lose weight is to burn more calories than you consume. I used the site listed below to calculate my calorie requirements for maintenance and then reduced that by 10%. That gave me a starting point and then I fine tuned my calories until I was losing around a pound a week.
Calculating your Needs
adamhenry is offline  
Old 10-22-17, 09:51 PM
  #6  
Maelochs
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 11,498

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 136 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5449 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 76 Posts
Good luck. You will find that there are a lot of people on this site trying hard to lose weight ....

I will say this: You Might be gaining muscle to offset fat loss. Muscle is much denser than fat and a little muscle gain can offset a little visible fat loss. It depends on what you eat. You might be simply eating to replace the calories you are burning, so gaining fitness but not losing fat, or you maybe replacing fat with muscle .... no one here knows, no matter how much we pretend.

If you really want to lose weight and gain strength, you will need to totally revamp your diet, and eat very little or nothing before working out (to maximize fat metabolism (which gives you less performance but more fat-burn)) and then eat lean protein after a workout to fuel muscle growth. And the rest of the day eat super lo-cal, with a huge amount of water.

Less extreme versions of this work, they just take longer.

if you are Really serious, you might want to track how far and how fast you ride, how much you weigh mid-day or mid-morning and before bed (depends on when you work out---after a workout you will probably be light due to water loss.) Notice if your performance is really improving---are you going faster? Are you going farther?

Don't even look at the computer while riding---you can hurt yourself trying to ride to numbers when you are starting. Look later on. If you really are burning more and more calories with each passing week, you will eventually see it. It could be equally that you are tiring yourself out by riding too much and feel like you are making more effort while actually you are doing the same work or less because you body just can't provide the power.

It could also be that for the first couple weeks you really didn't work "hard," except compared to not working at all, and really didn't even get your metabolism shifted into high gear, so that while it Felt like you were going hard, you just didn't realize what your body was capable of doing---you really didn't know what "hard" was, for you.

Or ... maybe none of the above. When I said no one here knows, that includes me.

My suggestion? Be really careful about what you eat and when. Find a balance between riding hard and riding long and enjoying .... don't burn out. If you want this to work you are going to be at it for probably the rest of your life.

People tell me it takes about 45 minutes of aerobic exercise to kick your body into high fat-burning gear for about six hours, and at least 15 or 20 to do any good at all. Also, some folks find that they cannot risde 45 minutes a day hard right away .... which means that a lto of the time they are breaking down their bodies, not building them up.

I like to ride daily---that's how I do the best weight control. But I can't do it. Three to five days as a rule ... sometimes six, sometimes two ... but then I need a day to rest.

No matter how hard I work, weight loss comes down to diet. I can burn 1200 calories ... and eat two big sandwiches and a can of Mountain Dew and I am at zero, no weight loss.

One more thing ... don't let the numbers determine your actions. if your weight doesn't go down as far or as fast as you'd like, or if it comes back up now and then .... or if your mileage or speed plateaus ... whatever ... it doesn't matter. Persistence in the key. If you keep exercising and keep eating fewer calories than you burn ... you will lose weight. You can't help it.
Maelochs is offline  
Old 10-22-17, 09:59 PM
  #7  
Bmach
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 668
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
It is not as simple as burning more calories than you eat. You also have to understand the type of calories you are consuming.
Bmach is offline  
Old 10-22-17, 10:06 PM
  #8  
General Geoff
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Allentown, Pennsylvania
Posts: 640

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Cooper CX; 2007 Cannondale F4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Bmach View Post
It is not as simple as burning more calories than you eat. You also have to understand the type of calories you are consuming.
Nope, doesn't matter. You could eat pure lard, but if you only eat 500 calories of lard per day, you will lose weight just sitting on the couch.
General Geoff is offline  
Old 10-22-17, 10:15 PM
  #9  
HerrKaLeun
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 1,378

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 25 Times in 21 Posts
some things to consider:
- a pound of fat is about 3,500 calories. So in one week of 500 calories deficit every day you lose 1 pound (this isn't really true, but you get the general idea)
- salt (sodium) makes your body retain more water. Water is heavy and just eating less salted food will make you lighter, but keep same amount of fat. On the other hand, eating more salt will make you heavier.
- muscles are heavy (but not unhealthy like fat). On the upside, muscles also burn calories when in "rest". With lot of muscles you burn more even when doing nothing.
- all processed foods more or less destroy or minimize actual nutrients (vitamins, fiber, potassium). The less processed you eat, the better. Eat fruits and raw vegetables, plain yogurt (I know this is slightly processed, but nothing compared to McDonalds), some milk, cheese, fish. 1,000 calories in apples are much different than 1,000 calories in soda. Turn that apple into juice (no fiber) and it will be almost as bad as soda from a point of fattening you.
- Samsung phones have a Health app that can track your food and the nutrients in them (there sure are other apps). enter the food as you eat it (not after you already ate it, because you are more likely not to eat that donut when you see how many empty calories it has)
HerrKaLeun is offline  
Old 10-22-17, 10:29 PM
  #10  
Bmach
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 668
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
General, so are you saying that 600 calories from sugary foods/soda is the same as 600 calories fruits/vegetables? If it is then I’m dropping the veg/fruits and drinking a couple mt dews instead.
Bmach is offline  
Old 10-22-17, 10:34 PM
  #11  
General Geoff
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Allentown, Pennsylvania
Posts: 640

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Cooper CX; 2007 Cannondale F4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Bmach View Post
General, so are you saying that 600 calories from sugary foods/soda is the same as 600 calories fruits/vegetables? If it is then Iím dropping the veg/fruits and drinking a couple mt dews instead.
From a pure weight loss perspective, that is correct.

Now, nutritionally, your body will eventually develop deficiencies in certain vitamins and minerals if you eat nothing but soda and candy bars. That's a whole different issue.
General Geoff is offline  
Old 10-22-17, 10:52 PM
  #12  
Machka 
In Real Life
 
Machka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Down under down under
Posts: 51,445

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2873 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 52 Posts
Originally Posted by Bmach View Post
General, so are you saying that 600 calories from sugary foods/soda is the same as 600 calories fruits/vegetables? If it is then Iím dropping the veg/fruits and drinking a couple mt dews instead.
Originally Posted by General Geoff View Post
From a pure weight loss perspective, that is correct.

Now, nutritionally, your body will eventually develop deficiencies in certain vitamins and minerals if you eat nothing but soda and candy bars. That's a whole different issue.
+1


Calories are simply a unit of measurement.

Simply looking at calories ... 600 calories of broccoli is the same as 600 calories of chocolate. But it is like the old joke:

Which is heavier? A ton of feathers or a ton of lead?

600 calories of broccoli will be about 19 cups of broccoli ... 600 calories of chocolate could be a couple small bars. Which is going to be more filling? More satisfying? Which is going to contain more nutrients?

https://nutritiondata.self.com/facts...roducts/2356/2
Machka is offline  
Old 10-22-17, 11:00 PM
  #13  
caloso
Packfodding 3
 
caloso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Sacramento, California, USA
Posts: 38,032

Bikes: Ridley Excalibur, Gazelle Champion Mondial, On-One Pompino, Specialized Rock Hopper

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1817 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 83 Posts
Great job! Keep riding and start taking a hard look at your diet.
caloso is online now  
Old 10-22-17, 11:05 PM
  #14  
Pasty
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Texas, USA
Posts: 5

Bikes: Trek FX 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
Good luck. You will find that there are a lot of people on this site trying hard to lose weight ....

I will say this: You Might be gaining muscle to offset fat loss. Muscle is much denser than fat and a little muscle gain can offset a little visible fat loss. It depends on what you eat. You might be simply eating to replace the calories you are burning, so gaining fitness but not losing fat, or you maybe replacing fat with muscle .... no one here knows, no matter how much we pretend.

If you really want to lose weight and gain strength, you will need to totally revamp your diet, and eat very little or nothing before working out (to maximize fat metabolism (which gives you less performance but more fat-burn)) and then eat lean protein after a workout to fuel muscle growth. And the rest of the day eat super lo-cal, with a huge amount of water.

Less extreme versions of this work, they just take longer.

if you are Really serious, you might want to track how far and how fast you ride, how much you weigh mid-day or mid-morning and before bed (depends on when you work out---after a workout you will probably be light due to water loss.) Notice if your performance is really improving---are you going faster? Are you going farther?

Don't even look at the computer while riding---you can hurt yourself trying to ride to numbers when you are starting. Look later on. If you really are burning more and more calories with each passing week, you will eventually see it. It could be equally that you are tiring yourself out by riding too much and feel like you are making more effort while actually you are doing the same work or less because you body just can't provide the power.

It could also be that for the first couple weeks you really didn't work "hard," except compared to not working at all, and really didn't even get your metabolism shifted into high gear, so that while it Felt like you were going hard, you just didn't realize what your body was capable of doing---you really didn't know what "hard" was, for you.

Or ... maybe none of the above. When I said no one here knows, that includes me.

My suggestion? Be really careful about what you eat and when. Find a balance between riding hard and riding long and enjoying .... don't burn out. If you want this to work you are going to be at it for probably the rest of your life.

People tell me it takes about 45 minutes of aerobic exercise to kick your body into high fat-burning gear for about six hours, and at least 15 or 20 to do any good at all. Also, some folks find that they cannot risde 45 minutes a day hard right away .... which means that a lto of the time they are breaking down their bodies, not building them up.

I like to ride daily---that's how I do the best weight control. But I can't do it. Three to five days as a rule ... sometimes six, sometimes two ... but then I need a day to rest.

No matter how hard I work, weight loss comes down to diet. I can burn 1200 calories ... and eat two big sandwiches and a can of Mountain Dew and I am at zero, no weight loss.

One more thing ... don't let the numbers determine your actions. if your weight doesn't go down as far or as fast as you'd like, or if it comes back up now and then .... or if your mileage or speed plateaus ... whatever ... it doesn't matter. Persistence in the key. If you keep exercising and keep eating fewer calories than you burn ... you will lose weight. You can't help it.
I suppose I should have included some information about my diet in the original post. Due to an incident which made me rethink everything about myself, I changed my diet overnight. Since a week before I started cycling, I've eaten maybe twice a day. I went from eating fast food almost once a day (along with other fatty foods) to eating just a piece of chicken breast that I lightly season and cook on a pan twice a day. After each ride, I usually eat a protein bar. Some days I'll just eat half a piece of chicken and then the protein bar after the ride. Liquid-wise, I went from drinking several sodas each day to water. Occasionally I'll add one of those Crystal Light packets in the bottle just to add some flavor (each packet is like 10 calories). Other than that, I admire yours and everyone else's responses and will try and make some changes to what I have been doing in order to improve myself and my performance.
Pasty is offline  
Old 10-22-17, 11:09 PM
  #15  
General Geoff
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Allentown, Pennsylvania
Posts: 640

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Cooper CX; 2007 Cannondale F4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka View Post
600 calories of broccoli will be about 19 cups of broccoli ... 600 calories of chocolate could be a couple small bars. Which is going to be more filling? More satisfying? Which is going to contain more nutrients?
Also absolutely true. Fruits and vegetables tend to be high in volume and fiber, and will provide much more substance than candy bars or soda per equivalent caloric intake.

Personally, I drink nothing but water as a liquid. Then I prepare a vegetable medley and a few different fruits for my baseline, so I can "spend" all my remaining calories on food that I love like pizza and chili, rounded off by a scoop of ice cream for dessert.

You can eat whatever you like and still lose weight, as long as you moderate your intake. I found that I really enjoy eating a large meal and feeling full afterward, so I've settled into eating one big meal per day. No other intake during the day except water. it's been working great for the past 5 months or so, and my weight has remained stable. I don't find myself lacking at all in energy during the day, even after a 40 mile bike ride that I start 16 hours after my last meal.
General Geoff is offline  
Old 10-22-17, 11:23 PM
  #16  
adamhenry
MUP World Champ
 
adamhenry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Oceanside, CA
Posts: 365

Bikes: '17 Defy Adv 2, Electra Verse 21D

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pasty View Post
I suppose I should have included some information about my diet in the original post. Due to an incident which made me rethink everything about myself, I changed my diet overnight. Since a week before I started cycling, I've eaten maybe twice a day. I went from eating fast food almost once a day (along with other fatty foods) to eating just a piece of chicken breast that I lightly season and cook on a pan twice a day. After each ride, I usually eat a protein bar. Some days I'll just eat half a piece of chicken and then the protein bar after the ride. Liquid-wise, I went from drinking several sodas each day to water. Occasionally I'll add one of those Crystal Light packets in the bottle just to add some flavor (each packet is like 10 calories). Other than that, I admire yours and everyone else's responses and will try and make some changes to what I have been doing in order to improve myself and my performance.
You have to maintain minimums for weight loss to work. If you don't get enough nutrients your body will go into starvation mode and will burn very little fat. The link I provided above explains how to set the proper amounts of protein, fat, and carbohydrates for your diet. You should also think about increasing your meals. 5 small meals will be better than 2 large meals.
adamhenry is offline  
Old 10-22-17, 11:27 PM
  #17  
General Geoff
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Allentown, Pennsylvania
Posts: 640

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Cooper CX; 2007 Cannondale F4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by adamhenry View Post
You have to maintain minimums for weight loss to work.
Completely untrue. Fasting works just fine. "Starvation mode" can't violate the laws of thermodynamics.
General Geoff is offline  
Old 10-22-17, 11:35 PM
  #18  
adamhenry
MUP World Champ
 
adamhenry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Oceanside, CA
Posts: 365

Bikes: '17 Defy Adv 2, Electra Verse 21D

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by General Geoff View Post
Completely untrue. Fasting works just fine. "Starvation mode" can't violate the laws of thermodynamics.
Completely false. Optimum weight loss is achieved if your body doesn't think it is starving and has to maintain fat reserves for survival. Intermittent fasting is a good method for weight loss if you understand it and maintain minimums. A 10-20% calorie deficit is considered to be a good target for weight loss. A starvation diet can't be maintained forever and all losses will be reversed when a normal diet is resumed. Yo-yo dieting accomplishes nothing.
adamhenry is offline  
Old 10-22-17, 11:39 PM
  #19  
General Geoff
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Allentown, Pennsylvania
Posts: 640

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Cooper CX; 2007 Cannondale F4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by adamhenry View Post
A starvation diet can't be maintained forever and all losses will be reversed when a normal diet is resumed.
I'm living proof that your assertion is incorrect. All I did to lose 80lbs was stop eating completely for days at a time. I resumed eating once a day and have maintained my target weight for half a year so far.


I absolutely, positively guarantee that fasting nets faster weight loss than any kind of "low calorie intake" diet. You can't get something for nothing, the human body is not a perpetual motion machine. Fat in the body is there specifically to be burned when there is no food being eaten. This whole "starvation mode" thing is utter nonsense. Starvation mode is just that: the body starts burning fat deposits when it runs out of nutrients in the digestive tract to consume.

Last edited by General Geoff; 10-22-17 at 11:48 PM.
General Geoff is offline  
Old 10-23-17, 12:01 AM
  #20  
Machka 
In Real Life
 
Machka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Down under down under
Posts: 51,445

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2873 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 52 Posts
Originally Posted by adamhenry View Post
You have to maintain minimums for weight loss to work. If you don't get enough nutrients your body will go into starvation mode and will burn very little fat. The link I provided above explains how to set the proper amounts of protein, fat, and carbohydrates for your diet. You should also think about increasing your meals. 5 small meals will be better than 2 large meals.
There is no such thing as "starvation mode" ... at least not in the way you're thinking. If there were, people who were genuinely starving would maintain their body weight, but of course, they don't.

Also the number of meals (and meal timing) doesn't matter one bit when it comes to weight loss. I like to graze throughout the day ... that works for me and I lost 50 lbs doing that. But others prefer 1 or 2 or 3 or more meals a day. Some prefer to fast a couple days each week. It doesn't matter ... it's just each person's preference, and it all comes down to calories.
Machka is offline  
Old 10-23-17, 05:03 AM
  #21  
mcours2006
Senior Member
 
mcours2006's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Toronto, CANADA
Posts: 5,675

Bikes: Giant Rapid, Bianchi Advantage, Specialized Roubaix, 1985 Gardin Quatro, Norco Threshold, Raleigh Serengheti MTB

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1720 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka View Post
There is no such thing as "starvation mode" ... at least not in the way you're thinking. If there were, people who were genuinely starving would maintain their body weight, but of course, they don't.
Agreed, at least from what I've read. For people who are actually starving, i.e. for people who are habitually malnourished, it does happen. The body very reluctantly gives up its fat reserves, and eventually begins to metabolizing muscle tissue. But for most of us, a day or two isn't going to make your body think you're in starvation mode.
mcours2006 is offline  
Old 10-23-17, 06:03 AM
  #22  
pvillemasher
Senior Member
 
pvillemasher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Austin Texas USA
Posts: 320

Bikes: 1989 Trek 400, 2000 Lemond Buenos Aires, 2013 GT Attack, 2017 Lynskey R250

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Step 1 - Don't go to internet forums to get advice on nutrition and how to lose weight. You'll just get confusing and contradicting opinions, and quite frankly some crazy suggestions.
Step 2 - Do some research on reputable sites, and find some good books to read on the subject.

When I was out of shape and just beginning I reminded myself "You didn't get in this bad shape overnight, you're not gonna get in good shape overnight either."
pvillemasher is offline  
Old 10-23-17, 06:22 AM
  #23  
Flip Flop Rider
Senior Member
 
Flip Flop Rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: South Carolina Upstate
Posts: 1,068

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 21 Times in 13 Posts
look up "Vinnie Tortorich" and read some of his recommendations on diet (he appears frequently on the Adam Carolla podcast)

he doesn't recommend exercise at all for weight loss, but it is all based on diet and what you eat

you could continue riding and eat differently and I'm guessing you would lose weight
Flip Flop Rider is offline  
Old 10-23-17, 06:29 AM
  #24  
indyfabz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 22,407
Mentioned: 163 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8617 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 227 Posts
Originally Posted by Pasty View Post
Since a week before I started cycling, I've eaten maybe twice a day. I went from eating fast food almost once a day (along with other fatty foods) to eating just a piece of chicken breast that I lightly season and cook on a pan twice a day. After each ride, I usually eat a protein bar. Some days I'll just eat half a piece of chicken and then the protein bar after the ride.
Sorry, but I fail to believe that is all you are eating in a day and that at that consumption rate you would even be able to increase muscle mass.
indyfabz is offline  
Old 10-23-17, 06:55 AM
  #25  
bruce19
Senior Member
 
bruce19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Lebanon (Liberty Hill), CT
Posts: 6,236

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 50 Posts
I really wonder if there is a reduction in metabolism with age. I ask because when I was younger (50 yrs. ago...now 71) I read that to determine your daily caloric intake you should multiply your target weight (current target for me is 180 lbs) by 15. FWIW, this is exactly what is suggested on a site posted here. This includes a factor for (in my case) moderate activity. I used moderate activity because it sort of fits and I ride about 30 mi./day 3 days/wk. So, for me 2700 cals a day. At this moment I weigh approx 187 lbs. I count calories and can guarantee that if I eat 2700 cal/day I will gain weight.
bruce19 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.