Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Kangaroo attack cyclist

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Kangaroo attack cyclist

Old 02-03-18, 07:30 PM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 875

Bikes: custom Cyclery North (Chicago), Schwinn Circuit

Liked 203 Times in 118 Posts
Kangaroo attack cyclist

Be cautious around kangaroos. Kangaroos view cyclist as prey:

https://nypost.com/2018/02/02/kangaro...g-cyclist/amp/

Last edited by CycleryNorth81; 02-03-18 at 10:38 PM.
CycleryNorth81 is offline  
Old 02-03-18, 08:29 PM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
jefnvk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Metro Detroit/AA
Posts: 8,207

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Guess Ill cross Australia off my bike touring destination list!
jefnvk is offline  
Old 02-04-18, 04:46 AM
  #3  
Grumpy Old Bugga
 
europa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Adelaide, AUSTRALIA
Posts: 4,229

Bikes: Hillbrick, Malvern Star Oppy S2, Europa (R.I.P.)

Likes: 0
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by CycleryNorth81
Be cautious around kangaroos. Kangaroos view cyclist as prey:

https://nypost.com/2018/02/02/kangaro...g-cyclist/amp/

Kangaroos do NOT view anything as prey. However, they do lurk at the side of the road, then go for it when they think it's safe. Unfortunately, in the real world, this means that road users of all sorts suddenly find a roo coming at them from one side. Dusk and dawn are the danger times and if you're travelling, these are good times to take a break. You will NOT see the roo that gets you, on the other hand, such incidents tend to be the exception rather than the rule, just common enough to remind us that it can happen.
europa is offline  
Old 02-04-18, 05:30 AM
  #4  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 875

Bikes: custom Cyclery North (Chicago), Schwinn Circuit

Liked 203 Times in 118 Posts
Originally Posted by europa
Kangaroos do NOT view anything as prey. However, they do lurk at the side of the road, then go for it when they think it's safe. Unfortunately, in the real world, this means that road users of all sorts suddenly find a roo coming at them from one side. Dusk and dawn are the danger times and if you're travelling, these are good times to take a break. You will NOT see the roo that gets you, on the other hand, such incidents tend to be the exception rather than the rule, just common enough to remind us that it can happen.
How do explain the following videos?

I think I proven my point.
CycleryNorth81 is offline  
Old 02-04-18, 05:46 AM
  #5  
Grumpy Old Bugga
 
europa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Adelaide, AUSTRALIA
Posts: 4,229

Bikes: Hillbrick, Malvern Star Oppy S2, Europa (R.I.P.)

Likes: 0
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Anyone else want to educate this idiot?
europa is offline  
Old 02-04-18, 05:52 AM
  #6  
SE Wis
 
dedhed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 10,572

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Liked 3,428 Times in 2,076 Posts
Originally Posted by CycleryNorth81
Be cautious around kangaroos. Kangaroos view cyclist as prey:

Last I checked kangaroos were herbivores. I don't think they're looking to eat anyone.

Maybe you meant predators trying to eat them.

A lot of these seem no different than deer here.
dedhed is offline  
Old 02-04-18, 05:55 AM
  #7  
SE Wis
 
dedhed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 10,572

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Liked 3,428 Times in 2,076 Posts
From further down the article:

"Heinrich said she broke three ribs and needed surgery to replace ruptured breast implants."

Apparently Roos don't like fake people either.
dedhed is offline  
Old 02-04-18, 06:13 AM
  #8  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 875

Bikes: custom Cyclery North (Chicago), Schwinn Circuit

Liked 203 Times in 118 Posts
Originally Posted by europa
Anyone else want to educate this idiot?
Why the hell are you so serious calling me a idiot? This was posted in jest. Get a freakin sense of humor.
CycleryNorth81 is offline  
Old 02-04-18, 06:48 AM
  #9  
In Real Life
 
Machka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Down under down under
Posts: 52,152

Bikes: Lots

Liked 599 Times in 331 Posts
Originally Posted by CycleryNorth81
How do explain the following videos?


I think I proven my point.
No ... it just means you don't know what you're looking at and you don't know wildlife in general and kangaroos in particular.
Machka is offline  
Old 02-04-18, 06:52 AM
  #10  
In Real Life
 
Machka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Down under down under
Posts: 52,152

Bikes: Lots

Liked 599 Times in 331 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed
Last I checked kangaroos were herbivores. I don't think they're looking to eat anyone.

Maybe you meant predators trying to eat them.

A lot of these seem no different than deer here.
Right.

They aren't about to eat a human.
They eat grass etc. The Kangaroo's Diet

And they are indeed much like deer.



This is the Voice of Experience speaking, having lived many years in both Canada (where deer leap out at you at random) and Australia (where kangaroos leap out at you at random).


Just the other day I had a Wallaby hopping along side me as I was cycling. I didn't feel at all threatened, but was cautious because they can suddenly take it into their heads to hop out in front of you. This one opted to hop deeper into the bush eventually.
Machka is offline  
Old 02-04-18, 07:05 AM
  #11  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 875

Bikes: custom Cyclery North (Chicago), Schwinn Circuit

Liked 203 Times in 118 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
Right.

They aren't about to eat a human.
They eat grass etc. The Kangaroo's Diet

And they are indeed much like deer.



This is the Voice of Experience speaking, having lived many years in both Canada (where deer leap out at you at random) and Australia (where kangaroos leap out at you at random).


Just the other day I had a Wallaby hopping along side me as I was cycling. I didn't feel at all threatened, but was cautious because they can suddenly take it into their heads to hop out in front of you. This one opted to hop deeper into the bush eventually.
Kangaroos do attack. Four videos show the attack.
CycleryNorth81 is offline  
Old 02-04-18, 07:13 AM
  #12  
In Real Life
 
Machka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Down under down under
Posts: 52,152

Bikes: Lots

Liked 599 Times in 331 Posts
Originally Posted by CycleryNorth81
Kangaroos do attack. Four videos show the attack.
Yes ... when they are startled. Like most animals.

Machka is offline  
Old 02-04-18, 07:18 AM
  #13  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 875

Bikes: custom Cyclery North (Chicago), Schwinn Circuit

Liked 203 Times in 118 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
Yes ... when they are startled. Like most animals.

And we will end the discussion with the statement above.

CycleryNorth81 is offline  
Old 02-04-18, 07:44 AM
  #14  
Senior Member
 
indyfabz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 39,740
Liked 16,198 Times in 7,603 Posts
It's like a jungle sometimes it makes me wonder how I keep from goin' under."--Grandmaster Flash & The Furious Five


indyfabz is offline  
Old 02-04-18, 08:48 AM
  #15  
SE Wis
 
dedhed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 10,572

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Liked 3,428 Times in 2,076 Posts
dedhed is offline  
Old 02-04-18, 10:01 AM
  #16  
Senior Member
 
tagaproject6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 8,550

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Liked 278 Times in 146 Posts
Did anyone check if the bike is okay?
tagaproject6 is offline  
Old 02-04-18, 10:03 AM
  #17  
Erik the Inveigler
 
Scarbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: The California Alps
Posts: 2,303
Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Cyclist probably had it coming.
Scarbo is offline  
Old 02-04-18, 11:45 AM
  #18  
SE Wis
 
dedhed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 10,572

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Liked 3,428 Times in 2,076 Posts
Originally Posted by Scarbo
Cyclist probably had it coming.
Probably taking the lane
dedhed is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Steve B.
General Cycling Discussion
21
06-17-18 09:58 AM
abstractform20
Advocacy & Safety
42
05-13-13 09:44 AM
1nterceptor
Advocacy & Safety
19
10-06-12 09:45 AM
Siu Blue Wind
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
31
06-10-11 07:10 PM
razor244
Road Cycling
38
07-23-10 12:14 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.