General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Rebso

Reply

Old 01-19-19, 02:51 AM
  #1  
TiHabanero
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2,012
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 553 Post(s)
Rebso

"How about REBSO for ridiculously expensive bike shaped object for something like a $15K Cervelo ..."

Picked this off another thread and liked it. I agree, too. Should be the go to term for bikes priced into the more money than brains category.
TiHabanero is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-19, 12:05 PM
  #2  
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -
 
TimothyH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Northwest Georgia
Posts: 12,884

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 196 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5728 Post(s)
People should mind their own business.

What other people buy or how much they spend is their business, not anyone else's.


-Tim-

Last edited by TimothyH; 01-19-19 at 12:08 PM.
TimothyH is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-19, 12:10 PM
  #3  
jasnooks
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 104
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Originally Posted by timothyh View Post
people should mind their own business.

What other people buy or how much they spend is their business, not anyone else's.


-tim-
+1
jasnooks is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-19, 12:19 PM
  #4  
avole
Banned.
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: France
Posts: 1,045

Bikes: Brompton, Time, Bianchi, Jan Janssen, Peugeot

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Originally Posted by TimothyH View Post
People should mind their own business.

What other people buy or how much they spend is their business, not anyone else's.


-Tim-
Sorry, Tim, and sadly,for once you and I are in total accord. Although I might make an exception for buyers of cocaine, and politicians - no connection between those intended, by the way.
avole is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-19, 02:56 PM
  #5  
mstateglfr
Sunshine
 
mstateglfr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Des Moines, IA
Posts: 7,686

Bikes: '87 Miyata 912, '87 Schwinn Prelude, '90 Fuji Saratoga, Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara/Centurion Ironman, '18 Diamondback Syncr, '18 handmade steel roadbike

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2643 Post(s)
Originally Posted by TimothyH View Post
People should mind their own business.

What other people buy or how much they spend is their business, not anyone else's.


-Tim-

to a large extent, I agree.
However, once someone starts referencing cost as a requirement for an arbitrarily set mythical baseline of 'good', then they open themselves up for criticism.

oh, and bragging about the cost of something, like rapha for example, and speaking down on other products due to a name brand. That brings deserved criticism and makes for entertainment!
mstateglfr is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-19, 03:11 PM
  #6  
Kedosto
Ambulophobic
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: San Leandro, CA
Posts: 910
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Anyone spending more than me is an idiot. Anyone spending less than me is a cheapskate. Thatís the way it is, says me.


-Kedosto
*apologies to Carlin*
Kedosto is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-19, 07:17 PM
  #7  
Machka 
In Real Life
 
Machka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Down under down under
Posts: 51,164

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2750 Post(s)
Originally Posted by timothyh View Post
people should mind their own business.

What other people buy or how much they spend is their business, not anyone else's.


-tim-
+1
Machka is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-19, 10:11 PM
  #8  
mstateglfr
Sunshine
 
mstateglfr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Des Moines, IA
Posts: 7,686

Bikes: '87 Miyata 912, '87 Schwinn Prelude, '90 Fuji Saratoga, Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara/Centurion Ironman, '18 Diamondback Syncr, '18 handmade steel roadbike

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2643 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Kedosto View Post
Anyone spending more than me is an idiot. Anyone spending less than me is a cheapskate. Thatís the way it is, says me.


-Kedosto
*apologies to Carlin*
Yup- how this site works.
mstateglfr is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-19, 11:30 PM
  #9  
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli
 
Sy Reene's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Wherever I am
Posts: 4,352

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1973 Post(s)
Originally Posted by TimothyH View Post
People should mind their own business.

What other people buy or how much they spend is their business, not anyone else's.


-Tim-
How can this be true when there are so so many examples of people posting about what they just bought, for the whole interwebz to read? They choose to make it everybody else's business and open it up for discussion.
Sy Reene is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-19, 04:02 AM
  #10  
TiHabanero
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2,012
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 553 Post(s)
The most expensive bike I have sold was priced at 11,000. Nope, didn't criticize the customer, but I do have an opinion about the purchase. One of my colleagues had one go out the door at 18,000. Just can't see the value in a bike priced out there into the cosmos. Spend 6-7 grand on a bike and take the other 5,000 and help put some people on good bike shop bikes. Or is that being too altruistic?
TiHabanero is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-19, 04:20 AM
  #11  
Machka 
In Real Life
 
Machka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Down under down under
Posts: 51,164

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2750 Post(s)
Originally Posted by TiHabanero View Post
The most expensive bike I have sold was priced at 11,000. Nope, didn't criticize the customer, but I do have an opinion about the purchase. One of my colleagues had one go out the door at 18,000. Just can't see the value in a bike priced out there into the cosmos. Spend 6-7 grand on a bike and take the other 5,000 and help put some people on good bike shop bikes. Or is that being too altruistic?
That's your opinion based on one event in a person's life.
Machka is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-19, 06:41 AM
  #12  
Garfield Cat
Senior Member
 
Garfield Cat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Huntington Beach, CA
Posts: 6,782

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Originally Posted by TiHabanero View Post
The most expensive bike I have sold was priced at 11,000. Nope, didn't criticize the customer, but I do have an opinion about the purchase. One of my colleagues had one go out the door at 18,000. Just can't see the value in a bike priced out there into the cosmos. Spend 6-7 grand on a bike and take the other 5,000 and help put some people on good bike shop bikes. Or is that being too altruistic?
It follows the distribution curve of wealth. Or at least, it should. There are exceptions but we just don't know what they are. For instance, a sudden and unexpected large inheritance, an exercise of stock options from a high technology employer plan, a big legal settlement, etc.

About the charitable giving: it would be connected but a separate issue, as it may have very little to do with the purchase. Meaning, the charitable giving could be even higher than a mere purchase of bicycle.

A consumer would tend not to disclose his/her financial position to a bicycle retailer compared to his/her financial planner or tax accountant. Colleague or no colleague.
Garfield Cat is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-19, 07:17 AM
  #13  
Machka 
In Real Life
 
Machka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Down under down under
Posts: 51,164

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2750 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Garfield Cat View Post
It follows the distribution curve of wealth. Or at least, it should. There are exceptions but we just don't know what they are. For instance, a sudden and unexpected large inheritance, an exercise of stock options from a high technology employer plan, a big legal settlement, etc.

About the charitable giving: it would be connected but a separate issue, as it may have very little to do with the purchase. Meaning, the charitable giving could be even higher than a mere purchase of bicycle.

A consumer would tend not to disclose his/her financial position to a bicycle retailer compared to his/her financial planner or tax accountant. Colleague or no colleague.
Exactly ...

We don't know if a person has given $180,000 to their favourite charities during the year, and then decided to spend $18,000 on a bicycle for themselves.

And it's not our business.
Machka is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-19, 11:16 AM
  #14  
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli
 
Sy Reene's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Wherever I am
Posts: 4,352

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1973 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Machka View Post
Exactly ...

We don't know if a person has given $180,000 to their favourite charities during the year, and then decided to spend $18,000 on a bicycle for themselves.

And it's not our business.
Of course it is, and this entire website is half devoted to "is X worth paying more instead of the cheaper Y?" type of threads. You also have to have your head in the sand if you think forums are not places where people put forth opinions but only rock-solid supportable fact. It's certainly valid for a given poster to express an opinion, especially if the OP asks the question or opens the discussion, as to whether spending lots of money on a bike, part or whatnot, is a waste of money that might be otherwise better-well spent.
Sy Reene is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-19, 01:52 PM
  #15  
TiHabanero
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2,012
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 553 Post(s)
Thank you, Sy Reene, for your well worded reply. All I am looking for is how others see it. Not that it is right or wrong or a violation of social justice or something. The thought goes through my mind whenever a big sale goes through the register. Believe me, high price tagged items are a major contributor to our bottom line, and welcomed. Just have to pay respect to my inner voice asking me at what point does a sale stop making sense?
TiHabanero is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-19, 02:07 PM
  #16  
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -
 
TimothyH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Northwest Georgia
Posts: 12,884

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 196 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5728 Post(s)
Let your light shine before men....

I gave close to $9000 to charity last year. I'm not talking about appreciated stock but cash outlay.

In 2018 I bought a box of diapers and two bags of groceries every week for the St. Vincent de Paul food pantry at my parish. That's $1700 worth of diapers alone.

There was a woman going through cancer treatment who got a settlement from Social Security and then was scammed out of the money. Her medications sometimes made her confused and someone took advantage of her. She was homeless. I helped her pay for a place to stay. There are others. You get the idea. There is also the weekly tithe to the church.

I also pay some of my mother's bills but I don't consider that charity. She has electric heat and her electric bill is >$350 every month. Car repairs. Washing machine died. I take the commandment seriously.

Anyway, so I built a custom bike in 2018. It didn't cost $10,000 but it cost more than most people's bikes. Step up to the plate and tell me I didn't have a right, that it is "ridiculous" as the OP put it and I'll tell you that my conscience is clean when I ride it.




-Tim-
TimothyH is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-19, 02:13 PM
  #17  
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -
 
TimothyH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Northwest Georgia
Posts: 12,884

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 196 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5728 Post(s)
Originally Posted by TiHabanero View Post
Thank you, Sy Reene, for your well worded reply. All I am looking for is how others see it. Not that it is right or wrong or a violation of social justice or something. The thought goes through my mind whenever a big sale goes through the register. Believe me, high price tagged items are a major contributor to our bottom line, and welcomed. Just have to pay respect to my inner voice asking me at what point does a sale stop making sense?
This isn't what you said in the first post.

Asking when a purchase stops making sense is a legitimate question.

Your first post called it ridiculous. That's judging others. It isn't right.


-Tim-
TimothyH is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-19, 02:30 PM
  #18  
Hoopdriver
On Holiday
 
Hoopdriver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 1,045

Bikes: A bunch of old steel bikes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
It's not the price of the bike that matters, rather it's the cost per smile while riding.
Hoopdriver is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-19, 02:58 PM
  #19  
woodcraft
Senior Member
 
woodcraft's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Nor Cal
Posts: 4,019
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 951 Post(s)
Originally Posted by TimothyH View Post
People should mind their own business.

What other people buy or how much they spend is their business, not anyone else's.


-Tim-


I disagree. We all live in the same world, and affect each other.

If you were driving behind a vehicle belching smoke, would you say "I should mind my own business- they have the right to pollute the air as much as they want"?

Or would you say that that person's behavior is a problem.

Consumption is pollution, and gross consumption is gross pollution.

No one is innocent, & if you listen carefully, you can hear our descendants cursing us.
woodcraft is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-19, 04:47 PM
  #20  
Wileyrat
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Tucson Az
Posts: 1,219

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 1985 Novara Strada, 2013 BD Motobecane 650ht, 90 Trek 850

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Originally Posted by TiHabanero View Post
The most expensive bike I have sold was priced at 11,000. Nope, didn't criticize the customer, but I do have an opinion about the purchase. One of my colleagues had one go out the door at 18,000. Just can't see the value in a bike priced out there into the cosmos. Spend 6-7 grand on a bike and take the other 5,000 and help put some people on good bike shop bikes. Or is that being too altruistic?
I know people that couldn't comprehend spending 5-7k on a bike. I didn't spend that on my Ridley, and I don't talk about what I spent because again, most people can't comprehend a few grand on a bike.

Rebso is just an opinion, just like bso is.
Wileyrat is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-19, 06:01 PM
  #21  
BrocLuno
Senior Member
 
BrocLuno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Kalifornia Kollective
Posts: 353

Bikes: K2 (Marzocchi/Fox), Trek 6000 (red) MARS Elite up front, Specialized Hardrock Sport -> eBike (R7 Elite up front), lastly TREK 820 loaner. Recently sold Peugeot du Monde Record and 1956 Schwinn (owned since new).

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Kedosto View Post
Anyone spending more than me is an idiot. Anyone spending less than me is a cheapskate. Thatís the way it is, says me.


-Kedosto
*apologies to Carlin*
Yup, and anyone who spends more on a REBSO than I have into any of my cars, motorcycles, or trucks is either a sponsored rider, or coke user

Have you ever been in the LBS trying to get your wife's bike done and home so you can go riding, when a lycra clad REBSO owner comes in and steps in front of you and demands instant service? Happens around here occasionally ...

Last edited by BrocLuno; 01-20-19 at 06:05 PM.
BrocLuno is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-19, 06:44 PM
  #22  
12bike
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 1,280
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Originally Posted by woodcraft View Post
I disagree. We all live in the same world, and affect each other.

If you were driving behind a vehicle belching smoke, would you say "I should mind my own business- they have the right to pollute the air as much as they want"?

Or would you say that that person's behavior is a problem.

Consumption is pollution, and gross consumption is gross pollution.

No one is innocent, & if you listen carefully, you can hear our descendants cursing us.
You arenít responding to and disagreeing with Timís post. Timís post says what others buy is none of anyone elseís business. Youíre talking about consumption and if someone even needs to buy at all. Like it or not most of the worlds economy is based on consumption.
12bike is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-19, 06:48 PM
  #23  
12bike
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 1,280
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Originally Posted by BrocLuno View Post
Yup, and anyone who spends more on a REBSO than I have into any of my cars, motorcycles, or trucks is either a sponsored rider, or coke user

Have you ever been in the LBS trying to get your wife's bike done and home so you can go riding, when a lycra clad REBSO owner comes in and steps in front of you and demands instant service? Happens around here occasionally ...
And Iíve seen a customer step in front of people at a LBS demanding service with a department store bike. The customer was upset because Walmart couldnít repair their bike and they were in a hurry.
12bike is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-19, 06:54 PM
  #24  
Machka 
In Real Life
 
Machka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Down under down under
Posts: 51,164

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2750 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Wileyrat View Post
I know people that couldn't comprehend spending 5-7k on a bike. I didn't spend that on my Ridley, and I don't talk about what I spent because again, most people can't comprehend a few grand on a bike.

Rebso is just an opinion, just like bso is.
Machka is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-19, 08:38 PM
  #25  
BrocLuno
Senior Member
 
BrocLuno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Kalifornia Kollective
Posts: 353

Bikes: K2 (Marzocchi/Fox), Trek 6000 (red) MARS Elite up front, Specialized Hardrock Sport -> eBike (R7 Elite up front), lastly TREK 820 loaner. Recently sold Peugeot du Monde Record and 1956 Schwinn (owned since new).

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
90% of what I base my decisions on is opinion ... Mine, or someone else's
BrocLuno is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service