Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Garmin Vector 3 Normal Function or Malfunction?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Garmin Vector 3 Normal Function or Malfunction?

Old 03-18-21, 01:32 PM
  #1  
oik01
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 190
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Garmin Vector 3 Normal Function or Malfunction?

I bought a used garmin vector 3s.
When I calibrate it to my headunit, I found that after calibration it gives torque readings. They seem fine when the reading is present ( -0.03, + 0.05) but every 3 or 4 or 5 readings depending on the time I get "--" for a reading. Is it normal for that to be so frequent or am I getting disconnects. When i used it concomitantly with my trainer I got some lower numbers initially and had oocasional zero powers. I opened it and put the battery in again and re-calibrated everything and had numbers that overlapped with the trainer. However after the calibration I still had the "--" torque reading somewhat frequently. I am just wondering whether this is a bad sign and I will be getting the drop outs reported in forums down the line? I am asking because if this is normal behaviour I will keep the unit. If it is not, and usually you get actual readings far more frequently I will not...
oik01 is offline  
Old 03-18-21, 02:16 PM
  #2  
Iride01
Hits [ENTER] b4 thinking
 
Iride01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 7,604

Bikes: '20 Tarmac Disc Comp '91 Schwinn Paramount '78 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2983 Post(s)
Liked 1,586 Times in 1,154 Posts
I've no idea, but you do know that Garmin has their own user forums for their stuff don't you. You might get more answers faster from other users over there....... https://forums.garmin.com/sports-fit...ing/f/vector-3
Iride01 is online now  
Old 03-18-21, 02:23 PM
  #3  
Barry2 
LRP=HR
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 936

Bikes: 79 Holdsworth Special, 93 C-dale MT3000 Tandem, 96 C-dale F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
Assuming you're using a Bike Computer... Try turning off Bluetooth on your phone.
My iPhone often causes havoc with BLE comm's.

Barry
Barry2 is offline  
Old 03-18-21, 03:30 PM
  #4  
oik01
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 190
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Barry2 View Post
Assuming you're using a Bike Computer... Try turning off Bluetooth on your phone.
My iPhone often causes havoc with BLE comm's.

Barry
It's on ant +
oik01 is offline  
Old 03-18-21, 04:12 PM
  #5  
Barry2 
LRP=HR
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 936

Bikes: 79 Holdsworth Special, 93 C-dale MT3000 Tandem, 96 C-dale F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
Originally Posted by oik01 View Post
It's on ant +

BLE is 2400-2483MHz
Ant+ is 2457MHz ...... right in the mix of BLE

It's cheap to try, why not give it a go?
or don't !

Barry
Barry2 is offline  
Likes For Barry2:
Old 03-18-21, 04:23 PM
  #6  
surak
Senior Member
 
surak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Seattle
Posts: 1,534

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 660 Post(s)
Liked 480 Times in 278 Posts
Vector 3s had a notoriously bad battery cap issue causing dropouts that Garmin tried to fix, several times even. Maybe check that yours has the latest caps? If not, you'll want to figure out how to get the replacement caps.
surak is offline  
Likes For surak:
Old 03-18-21, 04:48 PM
  #7  
oik01
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 190
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by surak View Post
Vector 3s had a notoriously bad battery cap issue causing dropouts that Garmin tried to fix, several times even. Maybe check that yours has the latest caps? If not, you'll want to figure out how to get the replacement caps.
Thanks. I am aware of the drop out issue and caps and this is the reason for the post... to know whether to get one from their website ( or more comforting return the item) and buy another powermeter.
I guess the question is: For anyone who has the same vector 3S powermeter working without any known accuracy or dropout issues: When you calibrate the powermeter do you only see numbers reported for torque or does it also show you that "--" reading?
oik01 is offline  
Old 03-18-21, 05:16 PM
  #8  
surak
Senior Member
 
surak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Seattle
Posts: 1,534

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 660 Post(s)
Liked 480 Times in 278 Posts
Originally Posted by oik01 View Post
Thanks. I am aware of the drop out issue and caps and this is the reason for the post... to know whether to get one from their website ( or more comforting return the item) and buy another powermeter.
I guess the question is: For anyone who has the same vector 3S powermeter working without any known accuracy or dropout issues: When you calibrate the powermeter do you only see numbers reported for torque or does it also show you that "--" reading?
Gotcha, yeah unfortunately (well, fortunately for me maybe) I don't have experience with the Vector 3s because I was scared off by the issues and went with PowerTap P1 (aside: my right pedal crapped out and SRAM replaced them with P2 pedals for free, but now they've discontinued the line and I am somewhat concerned going forward). I have some regret of not holding out to get the Favero Assiomas instead, because I'd originally wanted them but went with the P1 pedals instead when they were on sale a few Cyber Mondays ago and cheapest of all the pedal options. If you didn't get a screaming good deal on your Vector 3s, maybe returning them and getting Assiomas would bring you peace of mind.
surak is offline  
Old 03-18-21, 05:19 PM
  #9  
oik01
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 190
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by surak View Post
Gotcha, yeah unfortunately (well, fortunately for me maybe) I don't have experience with the Vector 3s because I was scared off by the issues and went with PowerTap P1 (aside: my right pedal crapped out and SRAM replaced them with P2 pedals for free, but now they've discontinued the line and I am somewhat concerned going forward). I have some regret of not holding out to get the Favero Assiomas instead, because I'd originally wanted them but went with the P1 pedals instead when they were on sale a few Cyber Mondays ago and cheapest of all the pedal options. If you didn't get a screaming good deal on your Vector 3s, maybe returning them and getting Assiomas would bring you peace of mind.
Perhaps. Actually 4iiii have some aggressive clearance sales on. But I don't think its fair for the seller that I return it if its functioning in normal condition. So just trying to figure out if the "--" torque reads are normal...
oik01 is offline  
Old 03-19-21, 06:46 PM
  #10  
DaveLeeNC
Senior Member
 
DaveLeeNC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Pinehurst, NC, US
Posts: 1,577

Bikes: 2020 Trek Emonda SL6, 90's Vintage EL-OS Steel Bianchi with 2014 Campy Chorus Upgrade

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 68 Posts
I have Vector 3's that had dropout problems that were fixed with new doors from Garmin. When paired with my Bontrager 1030 (basically a Garmin 1030), after a successful calibration I see something like '2' or "-4", or "3", etc. It is a single # that does not change.

I also have another bike with older Vector 1's (originals) paired with a Garmin 520. after calibration I see #'s like 0.03, -.0.12, 0,5, etc. And the field is also labeled torque.

I am guessing that there are pedal firmware version variables that matter, different computer models that matter, and software versions in the computer that matter. When I went out to calibrate my Vector 3's I thought I could be helpful here. Maybe not.

dave
DaveLeeNC is online now  
Old 03-19-21, 06:49 PM
  #11  
oik01
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 190
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveLeeNC View Post
I have Vector 3's that had dropout problems that were fixed with new doors from Garmin. When paired with my Bontrager 1030 (basically a Garmin 1030), after a successful calibration I see something like '2' or "-4", or "3", etc. It is a single # that does not change.

I also have another bike with older Vector 1's (originals) paired with a Garmin 520. after calibration I see #'s like 0.03, -.0.12, 0,5, etc. And the field is also labeled torque.

I am guessing that there are pedal firmware version variables that matter, different computer models that matter, and software versions in the computer that matter. When I went out to calibrate my Vector 3's I thought I could be helpful here. Maybe not.

dave
This is helpful. So you don't see "--" it sounds like? I might try the new doors it seems it worked for many
oik01 is offline  
Old 03-19-21, 07:00 PM
  #12  
DaveLeeNC
Senior Member
 
DaveLeeNC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Pinehurst, NC, US
Posts: 1,577

Bikes: 2020 Trek Emonda SL6, 90's Vintage EL-OS Steel Bianchi with 2014 Campy Chorus Upgrade

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 68 Posts
Originally Posted by oik01 View Post
This is helpful. So you don't see "--" it sounds like? I might try the new doors it seems it worked for many
I sometimes see "--" during calibration, but do not ever recall seeing one after calibration was complete. But once I got 'Calibration Successful' I moved on, so maybe there have been times. I definitely had dropout issues before I changed the doors. In fact I only have maybe a half dozen rides in since the door change. But no dropouts since then that I have seen, where before I had a bunch of them.

dave
DaveLeeNC is online now  
Old 03-19-21, 07:05 PM
  #13  
oik01
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 190
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveLeeNC View Post
I sometimes see "--" during calibration, but do not ever recall seeing one after calibration was complete. But once I got 'Calibration Successful' I moved on, so maybe there have been times. I definitely had dropout issues before I changed the doors. In fact I only have maybe a half dozen rides in since the door change. But no dropouts since then that I have seen, where before I had a bunch of them.

dave
Oh. I only see it in the calibration screen. Once I get calibration successful and it's showing torque. When I move on back to power it doesn't show
oik01 is offline  
Old 03-19-21, 11:15 PM
  #14  
oik01
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 190
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
So I figured I would see if its accurate manually. Did a few quick intervals and measured them on the saris cycleops trainer and the powermeter. Interesting finding but kind of disappointing. The powermeter seems to underread by an average of 20 watts and really 30 watts during intervals. The more interesting thing is that often at the start of an interval there is close overlap but the vector 3s drift down compared to the trainer during that interval. I guess the problem is I won't be able to differentiate if this is left right imbalance vs inaccurate reads.




oik01 is offline  
Old 03-20-21, 07:22 AM
  #15  
DaveLeeNC
Senior Member
 
DaveLeeNC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Pinehurst, NC, US
Posts: 1,577

Bikes: 2020 Trek Emonda SL6, 90's Vintage EL-OS Steel Bianchi with 2014 Campy Chorus Upgrade

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 68 Posts
oik01 FWIW, DC Rainmaker (www.dcrainmaker.com) has done a good bit of work WRT various power meter accuracy levels. It will take a bit of digging within his really extensive body of work to find it, however.

From what little I know about this stuff, I would not view the power #'s from a trainer as the 'power gold standard'. I would also observe that the power measured at the pedal would be expected to be a bit higher than the power measured further down the drive train (losses in the system - probably a few percentage points). Of course you are seeing the opposite in this case.

dave
DaveLeeNC is online now  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.