Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

New Bike For Me

Old 08-21-21, 09:06 PM
  #1  
Rdmonster69
Shawn of the Dead
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Posts: 553
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Liked 433 Times in 210 Posts
New Bike For Me ...... Update ...Neck is Happy ...Bike is Heavier But Faster !!

2020 Trek Domane SLR6. Had to drive 3 hours one way to get it. The Trek store there had 2 in my size (58) as well as a 60. Wanted Viper Red and they had a 58 and a 60 in that color. Also picked up a basic computer with a trick little mount as well as the lights that mount real slick under the seat and right out front of the stem. I tried to get decent pics so go easy on me lol.

My other road bike is an older Trek 2.3 with a bunch of Ebay Dura Ace components I put on in the last year.....also a 58.

Took it on a 25 mile spin as soon as I got it home. It looks much larger parked next to the 2.3 and the handlebars are much higher. The difference in geometry is obvious side by side. The 2.3 had the same geometry as the Madone that year so pretty racy I guess. This bike seems very compliant in its ride but stiff in the BB when on the gas which was what I expected. I rode a stretch of chip and tar which is quite rough. On the 2.3 it rattles the fillings in my teeth. On the Domane it was so much smoother . I expected as much but was impressed with how much it smoothed out the ride. I have very serious neck problems that usually show up about 20 miles into a ride .... they were absent and this was after 6 hours in the car. Oh .....I was faster by quite a bit as well. Overall on the strength of one ride I was quite pleased.

Its gonna take some getting used to both the giant tires and the crazy loud freehub. Obviously this bike was not cheap but I've been saving up. Its my reward for manning up and coming back from some serious and quite honestly ....life changing injuries. Cue the pics !!





Last edited by Rdmonster69; 08-22-21 at 03:06 PM. Reason: Title Change
Rdmonster69 is offline  
Old 08-21-21, 10:23 PM
  #2  
70sSanO
Senior Member
 
70sSanO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Mission Viejo
Posts: 5,008

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked 1,671 Times in 1,043 Posts
Very nice bike.

Congratulations!

John
70sSanO is online now  
Old 08-21-21, 10:45 PM
  #3  
kahn
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: northWET washington
Posts: 1,167
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 376 Posts
Enjoy that fire engine red bike. Congrats.
kahn is offline  
Old 08-22-21, 12:39 AM
  #4  
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator
 
Darth Lefty's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Folsom CA
Posts: 12,912

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Timberjack, Expert TG, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2752 Post(s)
Liked 1,577 Times in 1,029 Posts
Domanes are nice!

the solution to the freehub noise is to keep pedaling
__________________
Genesis 49:16-17
Darth Lefty is offline  
Old 08-22-21, 01:36 AM
  #5  
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son
 
delbiker1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Sussex County, Delaware
Posts: 2,486

Bikes: Early 90's Ochsner road, 2006 Schwinn SS DBX, 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 1989? Fuji Ace, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 654 Post(s)
Liked 933 Times in 540 Posts
Rdmonster69 , nice bike. Always good to treat ones self, can't think of a better treat than a new bike. If it is true that red bikes are the fastest, your Trek is really fast. Others having a NBD puts a smile on my face.
delbiker1 is offline  
Old 08-22-21, 01:47 AM
  #6  
Lazyass
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Minas Ithil
Posts: 9,331
Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2426 Post(s)
Liked 615 Times in 382 Posts
Yeah, you got their highest end 700 frameset and they cost more for a reason. High mod carbon frames ride so smooth. My Diamondback Podium is smoother than any steel bike I ever had, you can flex the seat stays by hand. The first time I rode it I had to pull over and make sure I didn't lose tire pressure. Most people buy the less expensive versions and they're about the same as aluminum in my experience.
Lazyass is offline  
Old 08-22-21, 06:21 AM
  #7  
Koyote
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 5,323
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5078 Post(s)
Liked 7,428 Times in 3,225 Posts
Sweet ride!
Koyote is online now  
Old 08-22-21, 02:57 PM
  #8  
Fendertele
Junior Member
 
Fendertele's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 126

Bikes: Trek Domane SL5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 24 Posts
Great bike. Enjoy.
Fendertele is offline  
Old 08-22-21, 03:04 PM
  #9  
Metieval
Senior Member
 
Metieval's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Ohio
Posts: 2,772

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 270 Times in 189 Posts
Congrats! Enjoy the rides!
Metieval is offline  
Old 08-22-21, 03:14 PM
  #10  
Ilbiker
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Small town Illinois
Posts: 144

Bikes: 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 Sport 2021 Trek Domane SL6

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
Nice! Iíve got the 2021 SL6 in Viper Red. Looks the the same lights, mine are connected to my Garmin 530. Did you go tubeless? Enjoying the GP 5K tubeless. And yes, the hub is LOUD! My Roubaix is barely audible. Enjoy the miles!
Ilbiker is offline  
Old 08-22-21, 03:15 PM
  #11  
Rdmonster69
Shawn of the Dead
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Posts: 553
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Liked 433 Times in 210 Posts
I went on a much longer ride today ..... 40 miles ...... my neck while not pain free ....it never is .....was way better than on my other bike.

I also shaved about 20 minutes off my 30 mile time.....was hungry as hell and drained of energy the last 5 miles or so .....from a comfort standpoint alone it is a vast improvement.

Oddly enough the Domane is heavier than my 2.3 ... the 2.3 (without pedals but my pedals are pretty light) weighed in at 19.2 pounds using the uber scientific method of weighing myself with and without the bike. The Domane with a set of Time espresso 7 Carbon pedals was 20.8 pounds. I was a tad surprised I must say with all the carbon fiber !!

Anyway here is where I play with my toys.


Rdmonster69 is offline  
Old 08-22-21, 03:19 PM
  #12  
Rdmonster69
Shawn of the Dead
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Posts: 553
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Liked 433 Times in 210 Posts
Originally Posted by Ilbiker View Post
Nice! Iíve got the 2021 SL6 in Viper Red. Looks the the same lights, mine are connected to my Garmin 530. Did you go tubeless? Enjoying the GP 5K tubeless. And yes, the hub is LOUD! My Roubaix is barely audible. Enjoy the miles!
I have a pretty basic computer and am not sure if it does the light thing or not. I not look into it further ..... I did not go tubeless. Not sure if I will but may at some point. The little lights and computer mount are pretty trick.
Rdmonster69 is offline  
Old 08-22-21, 03:57 PM
  #13  
jaxgtr
Senior Member
 
jaxgtr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 5,830

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7, Trek Emonda ALR 6, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Liked 844 Times in 515 Posts
Originally Posted by Rdmonster69 View Post
2020 Trek Domane SLR6. Had to drive 3 hours one way to get it. The Trek store there had 2 in my size (58) as well as a 60. Wanted Viper Red and they had a 58 and a 60 in that color. Also picked up a basic computer with a trick little mount as well as the lights that mount real slick under the seat and right out front of the stem. I tried to get decent pics so go easy on me lol.

My other road bike is an older Trek 2.3 with a bunch of Ebay Dura Ace components I put on in the last year.....also a 58.

Took it on a 25 mile spin as soon as I got it home. It looks much larger parked next to the 2.3 and the handlebars are much higher. The difference in geometry is obvious side by side. The 2.3 had the same geometry as the Madone that year so pretty racy I guess. This bike seems very compliant in its ride but stiff in the BB when on the gas which was what I expected. I rode a stretch of chip and tar which is quite rough. On the 2.3 it rattles the fillings in my teeth. On the Domane it was so much smoother . I expected as much but was impressed with how much it smoothed out the ride. I have very serious neck problems that usually show up about 20 miles into a ride .... they were absent and this was after 6 hours in the car. Oh .....I was faster by quite a bit as well. Overall on the strength of one ride I was quite pleased.

Its gonna take some getting used to both the giant tires and the crazy loud freehub. Obviously this bike was not cheap but I've been saving up. Its my reward for manning up and coming back from some serious and quite honestly ....life changing injuries. Cue the pics !!

Congrats and welcome to the Domane SLR in Viper Red club. I have the SLR7 and I highly recommend the Pirelli P Race Zero TLR's in 28 or 30. They mount super easy and will seat with a regular pump. Got mine through LordGun in Italy and they ship express and get them in 2 to 3 days on the East Coast, and I think 3 to 4 day to the West Coast. I am in Florida and have gotten some orders in 2 days. Looks like they are currently on sale for $49, which is a great price.
__________________
Brian | 2021 Trek Domane SLR 7 | 2016 Trek Emonda ALR 6 | 2022 Trek FX Sport 5 (On Order)
Originally Posted by AEO View Post
you should learn to embrace change, and mock it's failings every step of the way.







jaxgtr is offline  
Old 08-22-21, 04:25 PM
  #14  
Rdmonster69
Shawn of the Dead
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Posts: 553
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Liked 433 Times in 210 Posts
Originally Posted by jaxgtr View Post
Congrats and welcome to the Domane SLR in Viper Red club. I have the SLR7 and I highly recommend the Pirelli P Race Zero TLR's in 28 or 30. They mount super easy and will seat with a regular pump. Got mine through LordGun in Italy and they ship express and get them in 2 to 3 days on the East Coast, and I think 3 to 4 day to the West Coast. I am in Florida and have gotten some orders in 2 days. Looks like they are currently on sale for $49, which is a great price.
I run Pirelli Diablo Rosso on one of my Ducatis. Great tires .... a bit pricier 😆. I may look into some new tires once I get some miles on the stockers. Thanks for the heads up 😎
Rdmonster69 is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.