Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Support your LBS

Old 01-08-23, 05:11 PM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
MikeM21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: No. Va.
Posts: 505

Bikes: '96 C40, '04 C50, '04 Merlin Magia, '97 Stumpjumper, '04 Specilaized Roubaix

Liked 622 Times in 192 Posts
Support your LBS

We are lucky here in Northern Virginia to have a bunch of great LBSs. I needed a spacer for to put my old 9spd Shimano cassette on my new DT Swiss hubs. Dropped in to A-1 Cycling a the Clocktower in Herndon, and the guys there dug through there supply of spacers, tried multiple options, kept going until everything was tight and straight and then handed me my wheel and said "no charge, have a nice ride!"

This is the closest shop to my house but not necessarily the one I visit the most, so I'm not a regular by any means. Just great service by a couple of good guys. Thanks A-1!
__________________
There are no tailwinds. There are headwinds and days when I'm awesome!

Last edited by MikeM21; 01-08-23 at 05:12 PM. Reason: not
MikeM21 is offline  
Old 01-08-23, 05:19 PM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 2,387
Liked 957 Times in 564 Posts
I often go a lot of the time the cost is no different than amazon often. but they don't always have what I need so then I have to order. I have them do jobs thats not always practical for me too.
fooferdoggie is offline  
Likes For fooferdoggie:
Old 01-08-23, 06:43 PM
  #3  
señor miembro
 
SurferRosa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Pac NW
Posts: 6,787

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Liked 6,737 Times in 3,331 Posts
I agree, they're a fantastic resource for free hub spacers.
SurferRosa is offline  
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 01-08-23, 07:01 PM
  #4  
Thread Killer
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Posts: 12,763

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Liked 1,907 Times in 1,147 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
I agree, they're a fantastic resource for free hub spacers.
Hehehe
chaadster is offline  
Old 01-08-23, 07:52 PM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
rumrunn6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: 25 miles northwest of Boston
Posts: 29,608

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Liked 3,618 Times in 2,365 Posts
letting mine order a water bottle, instead of getting in on Amazon
rumrunn6 is offline  
Old 01-09-23, 06:46 PM
  #6  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2022
Posts: 52
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
Recently purchased tires for my bikes. Stopped in a LBS just to see what they had. They didn't have the color I wanted but they did have my 2nd choice. However, they were priced $15 higher than a vendor on eBay.

It's hard to spend $30 more just to support the LBS. Maybe I should have asked if they'd price match? The eBay vendor appeared to be a bike store as well, just in another state.

Last edited by 6door74; 01-09-23 at 06:50 PM.
6door74 is offline  
Old 01-09-23, 07:16 PM
  #7  
Grupetto Bob
 
rsbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Seattle-ish
Posts: 6,700

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Liked 6,252 Times in 3,187 Posts
Originally Posted by 6door74
Recently purchased tires for my bikes. Stopped in a LBS just to see what they had. They didn't have the color I wanted but they did have my 2nd choice. However, they were priced $15 higher than a vendor on eBay.

It's hard to spend $30 more just to support the LBS. Maybe I should have asked if they'd price match? The eBay vendor appeared to be a bike store as well, just in another state.
ebay doesn’t provide knowledgeable staff or have to pay mortgage, lights, etc. I just received a half hour of free service on a front mech that I couldn’t get right and offered to pay but they refused, so I bought a Park tool so they would get something for me being there. Let’s see ebay do that.
__________________
Road 🚴🏾‍♂️ & Mountain 🚵🏾‍♂️







rsbob is offline  
Likes For rsbob:
Old 01-09-23, 07:32 PM
  #8  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2022
Posts: 52
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
ebay doesn’t provide knowledgeable staff or have to pay mortgage, lights, etc. I just received a half hour of free service on a front mech that I couldn’t get right and offered to pay but they refused, so I bought a Park tool so they would get something for me being there. Let’s see ebay do that.
You're right. And for that reason I will have a bike shop do some things. But I need to save my money in some areas to pay for the expertise in others.

That said, if you read my whole post, you would see that the eBay seller is a bike store as well.
6door74 is offline  
Likes For 6door74:
Old 01-10-23, 07:04 AM
  #9  
SE Wis
 
dedhed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 10,655

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Liked 3,485 Times in 2,114 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
ebay doesn’t provide knowledgeable staff or have to pay mortgage, lights, etc. .
What makes you think an Ebay seller doesn't have overhead?
dedhed is offline  
Old 01-10-23, 07:35 AM
  #10  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2022
Posts: 52
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed
What makes you think an Ebay seller doesn't have overhead?
The one I got the tires from has a brick/mortar store as well. So it's a local bike store for some people and gave me better pricing than mine. Next time I'll see if they price match.
6door74 is offline  
Old 01-10-23, 08:25 AM
  #11  
SE Wis
 
dedhed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 10,655

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Liked 3,485 Times in 2,114 Posts
Originally Posted by 6door74
The one I got the tires from has a brick/mortar store as well. So it's a local bike store for some people and gave me better pricing than mine. Next time I'll see if they price match.
yes, all local to me B&M shops

​​​​​​https://www.ebay.com/str/wheelandsprocket

​​​​​​https://www.ebay.com/str/benscycleandfitness

​​​​​​https://www.ebay.com/str/thebikesmithsstore
dedhed is offline  
Likes For dedhed:
Old 01-10-23, 09:06 AM
  #12  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: North Central Wisconsin
Posts: 4,743
Liked 1,236 Times in 802 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
ebay doesn’t provide knowledgeable staff or have to pay mortgage, lights, etc. I just received a half hour of free service on a front mech that I couldn’t get right and offered to pay but they refused, so I bought a Park tool so they would get something for me being there. Let’s see ebay do that.
I don't think e-bay needs to provide a knowledgeable staff for tire purchases.
prj71 is offline  
Old 01-10-23, 09:09 AM
  #13  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: North Central Wisconsin
Posts: 4,743
Liked 1,236 Times in 802 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed
yes, all local to me B&M shops

​​​​​​https://www.ebay.com/str/wheelandsprocket

​​​​​​https://www.ebay.com/str/benscycleandfitness
I've purchased on ebay from both of those Bike Shops over the years. One of the Trek Domane's in the household actually came from Wheel and Sprocket.
prj71 is offline  
Old 01-10-23, 09:32 AM
  #14  
I don't know.
 
RB1-luvr's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: South Meriden, CT
Posts: 2,123

Bikes: '90 B'stone RB-1, '92 B'stone RB-2, '89 SuperGo Access Comp, '03 Access 69er, '23 Trek 520, '14 Ritchey Road Logic, '09 Kestrel Evoke, '08 Windsor Tourist, '17 Surly Wednesday, '89 Centurion Accordo, '15 CruX, '17 Ridley X-Night, '89 Marinoni

Liked 945 Times in 492 Posts
mine has a box just inside the door with $5 take-off seats. Gotta like that, among the many other great things about the place.
RB1-luvr is offline  
Likes For RB1-luvr:
Old 01-10-23, 10:04 AM
  #15  
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 2,888
Liked 3,271 Times in 1,439 Posts
Oh, look. Another brick-and-mortar vs. online dustup. How refreshing.
Rolla is offline  
Likes For Rolla:
Old 01-10-23, 10:30 AM
  #16  
Grupetto Bob
 
rsbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Seattle-ish
Posts: 6,700

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Liked 6,252 Times in 3,187 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
I don't think e-bay needs to provide a knowledgeable staff for tire purchases.
You think correctly.
__________________
Road 🚴🏾‍♂️ & Mountain 🚵🏾‍♂️







rsbob is offline  
Old 01-10-23, 10:41 AM
  #17  
Grupetto Bob
 
rsbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Seattle-ish
Posts: 6,700

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Liked 6,252 Times in 3,187 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed
What makes you think an Ebay seller doesn't have overhead?
I am sure there are plenty of people here willing to debate you on the expense of keeping a brick and mortar store open versus a warehouse or back room. I’m not one of them.
__________________
Road 🚴🏾‍♂️ & Mountain 🚵🏾‍♂️







rsbob is offline  
Old 01-10-23, 11:23 AM
  #18  
Full Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Greer, SC
Posts: 344

Bikes: GR300, Grail, Live Wire, 5010

Liked 241 Times in 121 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
I don't think e-bay needs to provide a knowledgeable staff for tire purchases.
Who’s going to advise the online customer on the different hues of their colored tires?
sarhog is offline  
Likes For sarhog:
Old 01-13-23, 08:13 AM
  #19  
Senior Member
 
Kontact's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 7,745
Liked 1,960 Times in 1,263 Posts
I remember in the '80s bike shops saying they were going to go out of business because of mail order catalog sellers like Colorado Cyclist, Supergo, Performance and Nashbar.

But ebay can't install your crankset or sell you a new Trek. Bicycle brands that stayed as shop-only have thrived while brands that went direct to consumer have faltered or vanished. Maybe there isn't a conflict?
Kontact is offline  
Old 01-13-23, 08:32 AM
  #20  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: North Central Wisconsin
Posts: 4,743
Liked 1,236 Times in 802 Posts
Originally Posted by Kontact
But ebay can't install your crankset or sell you a new Trek. Bicycle brands that stayed as shop-only have thrived while brands that went direct to consumer have faltered or vanished. Maybe there isn't a conflict?
I can install my own crank set. I can buy a new Trek, Specialized, Cannondale or Giant bike online and have it delivered to my house.

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/home-delivery/

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/ho...-a-bike-online

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/homedelivery

https://www.cannondale.com/en-us/home-delivery

Direct to consumer bike companies haven't faltered or vanished. They are thriving!!! Spot, Evil, Transition, Fezzari, Canfield, Canyon, Commencal, Guerilla Gravity, Intense, Knolly, YT just to name a few.

I'm thinking you are a bit behind the times and unaware of what's going on out there.
prj71 is offline  
Old 01-13-23, 08:41 AM
  #21  
Senior Member
 
The Chemist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Shanghai, China
Posts: 992

Bikes: Waltly Custom Ti // Seaboard CX01 // Dahon Boardwalk

Liked 534 Times in 247 Posts
I buy almost all of my parts on Taobao (the Chinese domestic version of AliExpress) and install them all myself. I really don't need an LBS to do much of anything for me.
The Chemist is offline  
Likes For The Chemist:
Old 01-13-23, 12:05 PM
  #22  
Senior Member
 
Kontact's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 7,745
Liked 1,960 Times in 1,263 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
I can install my own crank set. I can buy a new Trek, Specialized, Cannondale or Giant bike online and have it delivered to my house.

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/home-delivery/

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/ho...-a-bike-online

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/homedelivery

https://www.cannondale.com/en-us/home-delivery

Direct to consumer bike companies haven't faltered or vanished. They are thriving!!! Spot, Evil, Transition, Fezzari, Canfield, Canyon, Commencal, Guerilla Gravity, Intense, Knolly, YT just to name a few.

I'm thinking you are a bit behind the times and unaware of what's going on out there.
I'm thinking you're unaware that I was working at a Specialized dealer and we got paid for those online sales.

I'm also thinking you missed the main point of the post: That brick and mortar bike shops arent going away. Companies like Canyon frequently pay LBSs to fix their problematic products
Kontact is offline  
Old 01-13-23, 01:31 PM
  #23  
Senior Member
 
rumrunn6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: 25 miles northwest of Boston
Posts: 29,608

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Liked 3,618 Times in 2,365 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
letting mine order a water bottle, instead of getting in on Amazon
said he would call me this week
I'll give him another week
rumrunn6 is offline  
Old 01-14-23, 12:22 PM
  #24  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2023
Posts: 8
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Our local Trek dealer is GREAT but they dropped Specialized to pick up Trek.

Our local Specialized dealer SUCKS, they only picked up Specialized because TREK DROPPED THEM.

I decided on bikes from Specialized and I ordered direct so I don't have to deal with that "authorized" dealer in the future and can use the Specialized Rider Care instead.

Supporting a good business is great, but there is no reason to support a local business if they suck.
kcinnick is offline  
Old 01-14-23, 01:30 PM
  #25  
Clark W. Griswold
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: ,location, location
Posts: 14,285

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Liked 4,361 Times in 2,912 Posts
Originally Posted by kcinnick
Our local Trek dealer is GREAT but they dropped Specialized to pick up Trek.

Our local Specialized dealer SUCKS, they only picked up Specialized because TREK DROPPED THEM.

I decided on bikes from Specialized and I ordered direct so I don't have to deal with that "authorized" dealer in the future and can use the Specialized Rider Care instead.

Supporting a good business is great, but there is no reason to support a local business if they suck.
Specialized Rider Care is going to send you to a local shop in most cases just FYI. I would be curious to know how they suck if true and would also love to hear their side of the story.
veganbikes is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.