Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Pay to make the bike fit ?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Pay to make the bike fit ?

Old 03-17-24, 07:05 PM
  #51  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 6,817
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1124 Post(s)
Liked 1,217 Times in 773 Posts
Not a big fan of Trek in general, but that's just personal. But a "proprietary" seat post that can't be adjusted downward enough would be a non starter for me.

Why not look at a different brand? There's more brands in the world than Trek (and Specialized, and Giant) although often seems to me that a lot of buyers on these forums look at the Trek options as if they're all that's available.

I see that the most sensible solution is not practical - just cut some CMs off the bottom of the post to allow it to go down further.

It’s a VERY good deal for what it is, thus I think I will eat the $160. And not ever have I complained about paying the $160 except that Treks method of not using a more generic seat post with traditional flexibility in height is screwing the customer.
I the long run, it seems you know that the bike will be great for you if only it had the shorter seat post. $160 is no big deal in that case. Would the price cause you to seriously reconsider if it were in fact $160 more than what you're being quoted? Probably not. It's still a good deal. Heck, some people spend that much on pedals or tires.

PLUS.... it won't be $160. It will be significantly less because you'll sell that longer post as "NEW, TAKE OFF, NEVER USED" on EBay. Those kind of items are gems, really in demand generally. People really like to pay used prices for carbon fiber items that haven't been used because there's a higher degree of confidence in lack of any damage. I've bought some posts and handlebars that way. You might get up $75-100, greatly defraying the cost of the new post.

Last edited by Camilo; 03-17-24 at 07:31 PM.
Camilo is online now  
Likes For Camilo:
Old 03-17-24, 07:09 PM
  #52  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 4,525
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1035 Post(s)
Liked 456 Times in 268 Posts
Originally Posted by Camilo
As another thought not in line with the above rant.... Could you just cut some CMs off the bottom of the post to allow it to go down further?
How to say I didn't read the thread without ... Well, you know.

Last edited by asgelle; 03-17-24 at 07:28 PM.
asgelle is offline  
Old 03-17-24, 07:10 PM
  #53  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 6,817
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1124 Post(s)
Liked 1,217 Times in 773 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
I'm with 3Alarmer on this one ... what is the o.p.'s cycling inseam? Let's have the hard numbers. By the time we get to 35 posts we should have this all sorted.
Or we can trust that he knows what he wants and needs and understands that the issue - for him - is simply the stupid seat post.
Camilo is online now  
Old 03-17-24, 07:31 PM
  #54  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 6,817
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1124 Post(s)
Liked 1,217 Times in 773 Posts
Originally Posted by asgelle
How to say I didn't read the thread without ... Well, you know.
Yea, I edited my response.
Camilo is online now  
Old 03-17-24, 07:53 PM
  #55  
aged to perfection
 
mpetry912's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: PacNW
Posts: 1,852

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,278 Times in 674 Posts
you're getting the bike at a discount. As somebody said above, sell the take off part on ebay and enjoy the ride

/markp
mpetry912 is offline  
Likes For mpetry912:
Old 03-17-24, 08:21 PM
  #56  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: South shore, L.I., NY
Posts: 6,958

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3301 Post(s)
Liked 2,136 Times in 1,207 Posts
Originally Posted by Camilo
Or we can trust that he knows what he wants and needs and understands that the issue - for him - is simply the stupid seat post.
This
Steve B. is offline  
Old 03-17-24, 08:56 PM
  #57  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2022
Location: Albuquerque NM USA
Posts: 519
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 206 Posts
If it's a good deal and the shop won't swap or discount the seat mast cap, then I'd pay the extra $160. Sometimes good deals are deals for a reason. And yeah, you could sell the longer cap for a few dollars, or just stick it aside and maybe make the difference if you wanted to resell.

Last summer I bought a Domane from a Trek store. Seat height was fine when I picked it up. Months later when I pulled the seatpost and then reset it, I discovered it had been in almost as far as it could go. I asked if they could swap it out for the shorter post so I would have room if I later felt I needed to drop it. And yes it wold have been easy enough to cut it. They swapped it, no issue. I think being a Trek store helped, I think the fact it was a $9,000+ bike helped, and for myself and family I've spent a lot on bikes at that store in the last 5 years.

As for the frame size, I'm tall at 6' 2", but have an inseam (measured correctly for bike fitting) at just under 33". So, for me I get the larger frame, and run the seat lower. I also end up slamming the stem. This way I get the reach I need for my long torso, and if anything running the seat lower, for my relatively short legs, reduces the drop for a less aggressive position. It works well for me. The OP sounds like they have a very similar situation.

Something the OP can do is use the following site to compare bikes geometries. It has a rather large database. You should be able to compare the road bikes you have to the proposed new bike and see how they match up. However, be warned that from what I've seen, the dimensions will be for a raw frame, and in the case of my Domane, there is a "bearing cover" on the top of the head tube that has significant height. This is not factored into published dimensions. I.E., it effectively makes the head tube taller. Of course, all bikes of something up there, but they may be different heights. Obviously not an issue if you don't expect to slam the stem as you can adjust spacers as needed. Of course, be sure to factor in stem length, and handle bar dimensions as well.

99spokes.com
Mtracer is offline  
Old 03-17-24, 10:00 PM
  #58  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: South Shore of Long Island
Posts: 2,838

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,047 Times in 738 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
Brands has a discounted 54 in stock. They do not have a 56 in stock, would need to order and there is no sale price on an ordered bike. As well, Trek no longer makes this bike in the color I want.

And @ roadfan, the Emonda in a 56 has a 15cm head tube. The bike I am riding currently in a 56 has a 16. That's not a huge difference.
I would also check out Merrick Cycles, they've had some great sale prices starting last week and they keep a lot of inventory in stock across 3 shops, so if they don't have it in Merrick it might be elsewhere. Nothing against Brands, I've given them plenty of money over the years, but I'd check if there's a better deal in stock. I'd also point out that although 1cm or 2/5" doesn't seem like a lot, when its what you're trying to drop yourself down to it can be. It isn't the same as just being able to use a longer or shorter stem, and while a different angle stem can deal with it to some extent, on a bike that has to real steerer tube to allow height adjustment with spacers, that difference can matter.

Originally Posted by Steve B.
This is a not a Trek company store. The bike is heavily discounted so maybe no or little profit margin to eat the $160. Itís a VERY good deal for what it is, thus I think I will eat the $160. And not ever have I complained about paying the $160 except that Treks method of not using a more generic seat post with traditional flexibility in height is screwing the customer.
Although the sale price would mean there isn't a good margin, Brands is big enough of a trek dealer that they're probably an upper tier level and probably still making 800-1000 on that bike. Not great in the grand scheme, but not hideous, but they're also not spending 160 on the stem, which is probably closer to 100 wholesale. If you have to buy the post I would expect them/ ask them to offer it for the wholesale price. They've got a customer with cash in hand and quibbling that they're not making money on the post would be silly since they're still making money on the bike and the bike is useless without the post. In the past, when I worked in a shop, I had no problem showing the customer that this is my price for the item and that's what you'll pay if it was something to make it whole. The only time that didn't happen was when we would exchange a like for like type item that we could use, then we often gave half off, ie a 90mm stem for a 110mm stem since we could always use the other stem as a lower price swap for someone else later. I wouldn't anticipate that with this post since the shop probably doesn't want to sit on an expensive proprietary post.
Russ Roth is offline  
Old 03-18-24, 07:44 AM
  #59  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Right where I'm supposed to be
Posts: 1,652

Bikes: Franklin Frames Custom, Rivendell Bombadil

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 214 Times in 130 Posts
Do you really want to buy a bike with such proprietary parts ? What else is also proprietary about it ? Do ask or find out for yourself. Are proprietary frames/parts acceptable in the long run, if you intend to keep it ? Only you can answer that.

Myself, give it's the correct frame size to begin with, if a dealer is unwilling to swap the post so you can ever ride it, it's no deal. Saying "it's only $160" is what dealers count on, that the buyer won't call them out on it and ask for a proper fitting post for n/c. Trek is selling a frame with very limited fit range. That's great if you fit in that range, not if you don't. It's not a "good deal" unless that "good deal" fits as defined a "good deal". Once you start adding costs to a "good deal" , it's no longer the "good deal" once thought of as such.

It's a buyers market
Garthr is offline  
Likes For Garthr:
Old 03-18-24, 08:23 AM
  #60  
Senior Member
 
PeteHski's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2021
Posts: 8,646
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4505 Post(s)
Liked 4,995 Times in 3,087 Posts
If itís still a good deal with the added $160 and you are confident about the fit then I would take it.

The only alternative is a different bike which may not be such a good deal overall or simply less to your liking. If the $160 is going to ruin your enjoyment then maybe it was already too much of a budget stretch?

Proprietary parts can be a pain, but they are also what makes it a bit more unique. If it had a standard generic round seatpost you wouldnít have this problem, but then you might not like the bike as much. Only you can decide.
PeteHski is offline  
Old 03-18-24, 09:07 AM
  #61  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: South shore, L.I., NY
Posts: 6,958

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3301 Post(s)
Liked 2,136 Times in 1,207 Posts
Originally Posted by Garthr
Do you really want to buy a bike with such proprietary parts ? What else is also proprietary about it ? t
I have already commented on this. The seat post is the only proprietary part. Stem and bar are standard stuff, just Trek branded carbon bar.

And as final note, I e-mailed the shop and instructed to order the Trek post. Too good a price on a great bike to nickel and dime over $160. I am expecting the shorter 135 post will put the seat where it needs to be and will likely follow thru with the purchase,

Last edited by Steve B.; 03-18-24 at 09:42 AM.
Steve B. is offline  
Likes For Steve B.:
Old 03-18-24, 10:31 AM
  #62  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,865
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 397 Posts
Originally Posted by Russ Roth
I would also check out Merrick Cycles, they've had some great sale prices starting last week and they keep a lot of inventory in stock across 3 shops, so if they don't have it in Merrick it might be elsewhere. Nothing against Brands, I've given them plenty of money over the years, but I'd check if there's a better deal in stock. I'd also point out that although 1cm or 2/5" doesn't seem like a lot, when its what you're trying to drop yourself down to it can be. It isn't the same as just being able to use a longer or shorter stem, and while a different angle stem can deal with it to some extent, on a bike that has to real steerer tube to allow height adjustment with spacers, that difference can matter.


Although the sale price would mean there isn't a good margin, Brands is big enough of a trek dealer that they're probably an upper tier level and probably still making 800-1000 on that bike. Not great in the grand scheme, but not hideous, but they're also not spending 160 on the stem, which is probably closer to 100 wholesale. If you have to buy the post I would expect them/ ask them to offer it for the wholesale price. They've got a customer with cash in hand and quibbling that they're not making money on the post would be silly since they're still making money on the bike and the bike is useless without the post. In the past, when I worked in a shop, I had no problem showing the customer that this is my price for the item and that's what you'll pay if it was something to make it whole. The only time that didn't happen was when we would exchange a like for like type item that we could use, then we often gave half off, ie a 90mm stem for a 110mm stem since we could always use the other stem as a lower price swap for someone else later. I wouldn't anticipate that with this post since the shop probably doesn't want to sit on an expensive proprietary post.
I like it when folks come in with their cost margin calculation logic, kinda like a flat earth video, I listen, then I ask "what do you do for a living?" Then I ask them for a similar discount on whatever it is they do, I seldom get a taker on that, and I make the sale most of the time, eiither way the look on their faces is worth it, and keeps the other guys in the shop entertained. To be cllear, if I have a good customer who is in this situation, yeah, i'll eat the $100 on the silly seat mast thing, and the like on fitting items, but the guy (it's always a guy) who comes in with the entitled "I am doing you a favor by buying from you" attitude, I tell him, what what he wants costs, and let him decide, he buys from me, he buys from someone else, or he doesn't buy at all, life goes on...
wheelreason is offline  
Likes For wheelreason:
Old 03-18-24, 10:42 AM
  #63  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2023
Location: Prairie
Posts: 57

Bikes: SuperCaliber, SuperSix Evo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 19 Posts
My new bike has a proprietary stem, probably a bit long for my taste. Iím giving it a go for now, but may need to buy a shorter stem from them. Iíll ask if they can sell it to me at dealer cost.

As said above, if the seat canít be adjusted down enough with the stock capper, maybe the bike is too small? Maybe size up the bike and do a shorter stem? The seat adjustment needs to be able to get you oriented to the pedals properly, then the stem and steerer length handles the reach and drop fit.

keep in mind one brand or model in a certain size may not fit like anotherís.
McFlyRides is offline  
Old 03-18-24, 10:54 AM
  #64  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: South Shore of Long Island
Posts: 2,838

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,047 Times in 738 Posts
Originally Posted by wheelreason
I like it when folks come in with their cost margin calculation logic, kinda like a flat earth video, I listen, then I ask "what do you do for a living?" Then I ask them for a similar discount on whatever it is they do, I seldom get a taker on that, and I make the sale most of the time, eiither way the look on their faces is worth it, and keeps the other guys in the shop entertained. To be cllear, if I have a good customer who is in this situation, yeah, i'll eat the $100 on the silly seat mast thing, and the like on fitting items, but the guy (it's always a guy) who comes in with the entitled "I am doing you a favor by buying from you" attitude, I tell him, what what he wants costs, and let him decide, he buys from me, he buys from someone else, or he doesn't buy at all, life goes on...
You misinterpreted, I said that I would sell the post for the wholesale cost which is probably around 100, I wouldn't expect the shop to eat a 100 on something like that. The bike shops I worked in, as I explained later, would do trades on things like stems, saddles, or items that were being changed with usually a charge of 50% of the items price knowing we could recoup the money by selling or exchanging the take-off later. I also explained that a shop couldn't be expected to do that either as the post is proprietary and the shop might never sell it but no reason they shouldn't let it go at wholesale cost to make the bike work. That's from 15 years in the bike industry, and ever shop I worked at would do that since it doesn't cost us anything but helps make the sale. As to a discount on what I do, I'm a minister and have been for the last 14 years, if you're not a member of my church and you need a funeral and can't afford the typical minister's fee that the funeral home charges than I give a 100% discount. I take the time to meet with the family, chat about their loved ones, arrange the order of worship and take the time from my family and life to perform the service at no cost, you'd look fairly stupid asking me your question, and I do this multiple times a year because the person matters. Weddings I will discount if it isn't a formal wedding and have even managed to get the church to provide free/heavily reduced costs of the space for young broke couples.
Unless things have changed drastically in the 10 years since I last worked directly for a shop, trek operates on a 40 margin, slightly better (42 margin?) if you're a platinum level dealer, and so the 20% off does hit into that a lot and that sucks when trying to unload excess or previous years bikes. I'm aware that this may mean they may be making back their costs into the bike and only a touch more, but the loss gets worse the longer the bike sits and breaking even on a post seems like a small price to pay to get the stored value of the bike back out of it to get new inventory in, but hey, you do you.
Russ Roth is offline  
Old 03-18-24, 11:06 AM
  #65  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,865
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 397 Posts
Originally Posted by Russ Roth
You misinterpreted, I said that I would sell the post for the wholesale cost which is probably around 100, I wouldn't expect the shop to eat a 100 on something like that. The bike shops I worked in, as I explained later, would do trades on things like stems, saddles, or items that were being changed with usually a charge of 50% of the items price knowing we could recoup the money by selling or exchanging the take-off later. I also explained that a shop couldn't be expected to do that either as the post is proprietary and the shop might never sell it but no reason they shouldn't let it go at wholesale cost to make the bike work. That's from 15 years in the bike industry, and ever shop I worked at would do that since it doesn't cost us anything but helps make the sale. As to a discount on what I do, I'm a minister and have been for the last 14 years, if you're not a member of my church and you need a funeral and can't afford the typical minister's fee that the funeral home charges than I give a 100% discount. I take the time to meet with the family, chat about their loved ones, arrange the order of worship and take the time from my family and life to perform the service at no cost, you'd look fairly stupid asking me your question, and I do this multiple times a year because the person matters. Weddings I will discount if it isn't a formal wedding and have even managed to get the church to provide free/heavily reduced costs of the space for young broke couples.
Unless things have changed drastically in the 10 years since I last worked directly for a shop, trek operates on a 40 margin, slightly better (42 margin?) if you're a platinum level dealer, and so the 20% off does hit into that a lot and that sucks when trying to unload excess or previous years bikes. I'm aware that this may mean they may be making back their costs into the bike and only a touch more, but the loss gets worse the longer the bike sits and breaking even on a post seems like a small price to pay to get the stored value of the bike back out of it to get new inventory in, but hey, you do you.
Nope, didn't ministerpret anything (ha), and darn, I was hoping you were a roofer...
wheelreason is offline  
Old 03-18-24, 11:17 AM
  #66  
-------
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Tejas
Posts: 12,801
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9659 Post(s)
Liked 6,366 Times in 3,506 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
I have already commented on this. The seat post is the only proprietary part. Stem and bar are standard stuff, just Trek branded carbon bar.

And as final note, I e-mailed the shop and instructed to order the Trek post. Too good a price on a great bike to nickel and dime over $160. I am expecting the shorter 135 post will put the seat where it needs to be and will likely follow thru with the purchase,
Next, get the RSL bar/stem for it. Game changer.
Mojo31 is offline  
Old 03-18-24, 11:32 AM
  #67  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: South Shore of Long Island
Posts: 2,838

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,047 Times in 738 Posts
Originally Posted by wheelreason
Nope, didn't ministerpret anything (ha), and darn, I was hoping you were a roofer...
That was my first job back in HS working for the family business, quit that for college after dangling off the edge of a building 3 stories up. There's a reason its one of the most dangerous professions.
Russ Roth is offline  
Likes For Russ Roth:
Old 03-18-24, 11:51 AM
  #68  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: South shore, L.I., NY
Posts: 6,958

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3301 Post(s)
Liked 2,136 Times in 1,207 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31
Next, get the RSL bar/stem for it. Game changer.
They donít show this on the Trek website, not that I want or need a $400 integrated bar/stem system, which I think is a useless concept to begin with.
Steve B. is offline  
Old 03-18-24, 12:24 PM
  #69  
-------
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Tejas
Posts: 12,801
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9659 Post(s)
Liked 6,366 Times in 3,506 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
They donít show this on the Trek website, not that I want or need a $400 integrated bar/stem system, which I think is a useless concept to begin with.
It's there: Bontrager Aeolus RSL VR-C Handlebar/Stem - Trek Bikes

Nobody needs such things, but it sure looks sweet.
Mojo31 is offline  
Old 03-18-24, 12:33 PM
  #70  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: South shore, L.I., NY
Posts: 6,958

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3301 Post(s)
Liked 2,136 Times in 1,207 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31
It's there: Bontrager Aeolus RSL VR-C Handlebar/Stem - Trek Bikes

Nobody needs such things, but it sure looks sweet.
Oh, thatís much better, itís only $650
Steve B. is offline  
Old 03-18-24, 01:27 PM
  #71  
Advocatus Diaboli
 
Sy Reene's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Wherever I am
Posts: 8,660

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4760 Post(s)
Liked 1,539 Times in 1,008 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
I have already commented on this. The seat post is the only proprietary part. Stem and bar are standard stuff, just Trek branded carbon bar.

And as final note, I e-mailed the shop and instructed to order the Trek post. Too good a price on a great bike to nickel and dime over $160. I am expecting the shorter 135 post will put the seat where it needs to be and will likely follow thru with the purchase,
Since it's been said the margins are really low on all of this stuff, I imagine then you should be able to just sell the unused longer post back to the shop for say $140 ?
Sy Reene is offline  
Old 03-18-24, 02:12 PM
  #72  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,865
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 397 Posts
Originally Posted by Russ Roth
That was my first job back in HS working for the family business, quit that for college after dangling off the edge of a building 3 stories up. There's a reason its one of the most dangerous professions.
For sure, specially in the middle of summer. There are some crews around here that have it down to a science. You can tell the good ones by the cadence of the nailer.
wheelreason is offline  
Likes For wheelreason:
Old 03-18-24, 02:21 PM
  #73  
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?
 
genejockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 18,138

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10508 Post(s)
Liked 12,063 Times in 6,177 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31
It's there: Bontrager Aeolus RSL VR-C Handlebar/Stem - Trek Bikes

Nobody needs such things, but it sure looks sweet.
Needs? What is this "need" ****? We're talking BICYCLES.
__________________
"Don't take life so serious-it ain't nohow permanent."

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
genejockey is offline  
Likes For genejockey:
Old 03-18-24, 02:21 PM
  #74  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 6,817
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1124 Post(s)
Liked 1,217 Times in 773 Posts
Originally Posted by Russ Roth
That was my first job back in HS working for the family business, quit that for college after dangling off the edge of a building 3 stories up. There's a reason its one of the most dangerous professions.
I did three or four roofing jobs in my 20s. Carrying shingles up a ladder, hammer and nails... There are a lot of construction-related things I learned to do over the years which I continue to do and generally enjoy and can do competently enough (although slowly!). Roofing, never, ever. even with modern equipment. Oh, and baling hay from field to barn.... even more so never.
Camilo is online now  
Old 03-18-24, 04:30 PM
  #75  
Senior Member
 
biker128pedal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Eastern VA
Posts: 1,736

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 459 Times in 269 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
I'm am potentially buying a new Trek Emonda road bike, it's a very good deal at an otherwise nice local shop. A quickie test ride tells me the bike fits perfectly in terms of top tube length and stem. That's dead on the same as my other road bikes. Problem develops in that Trek ships this size 56 with a proprietary 175mm carbon seat post, which puts the seat about 4 cm too high for my use. It goes no lower. Shop and Trek tells me they make a shorter post that would likely put the post pretty much where I need the seat, and Trek charges $160 for the shorter post.

My initial attitude is Trek should just allow a free post swap to get the bike to fit the customer. This is another reason I hate proprietary crap like this

If I choose to pony up the $160, what am I supposed to do with the longer post ?, can't imagine I will recoup my cost by selling on e-bay.

Thoughts appreciated.
Use the longer post for clamping in a bike stand. $160 is a good deal compared to the Domane Gen 3 seat post. My SL 6 58cm came with a long post/ The 56cm comes with a short which was too short for me in that size frame. Anyway for my 58cm frame with the long post the screw to tighten the post was at the very bottom of the access slot. It slipped once and was hidden. I had to use a rubber hammer to drive the post back up. Choked and bough ta short post. I think I paid $250 for the short post. Correct color (black) but the only one available was the one for the ebike. It has a small holes for a rear light wire. The rear ligtht bracket specific for the seat post was then a little loose and I had to shim with tape. As for the longer post. I use it to clamp the bike on my bike stand. The short post does not have enough exposure for my old stand.

Oh while you are at it think about if you want to change the seat set back.

Edit: Looks like for the Elmonda there is a not really a choice for set back. Also the seat mast would not have the same lack of space as with the Domane.

Last edited by biker128pedal; 03-18-24 at 04:54 PM.
biker128pedal is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.