Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Ze Red Star

Old 06-17-07, 09:18 AM
  #1  
SpokeApe
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
SpokeApe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 59
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ze Red Star

I've done a "search" and found out what the red stars are.
My Q is:
Is there an length of time one should wait before donating?
I've only been here for abt a week but the info I have received has been of great help/quality and I can only conclude will continue.
I don't want to seem pretentious, being such a newb and all.
SpokeApe
SpokeApe is offline  
Old 06-17-07, 09:41 AM
  #2  
East Hill
Lanky Lass
 
East Hill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Take a deep breath, and ask--What would Sheldon do?
Posts: 21,434

Bikes: Nishiki Nut! International, Pro, Olympic 12, Sport mixte, and others too numerous to mention.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I think it's a great idea myself...under the old management, the red star lasts virtually your entire life, and it's only $25. If you think that the help and advice you've reaped are worth that amount, go for it.

It does have the side benefit of giving you a bigger avatar, and gets rid of the advertisements.

East Hill
__________________
___________________________________________________
TRY EMPATHY & HAVE LOVE IN YOUR HEART, PERHAPS I'LL SEE YOU ON THE ROAD...
East Hill is offline  
Old 06-17-07, 09:47 AM
  #3  
SpokeApe
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
SpokeApe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 59
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looks like next paycycle I'll have a red star then.
This site is great for the uninitiated like myself.
Since I didn't know squat when I found it, I've more than tripled my knowledge!!
Not bad for a white gorilla!!
SpokeApe
SpokeApe is offline  
Old 06-17-07, 09:54 AM
  #4  
East Hill
Lanky Lass
 
East Hill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Take a deep breath, and ask--What would Sheldon do?
Posts: 21,434

Bikes: Nishiki Nut! International, Pro, Olympic 12, Sport mixte, and others too numerous to mention.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
It's always good to have a satisfied customer... .

Pretty good for a white gorilla!

East Hill
__________________
___________________________________________________
TRY EMPATHY & HAVE LOVE IN YOUR HEART, PERHAPS I'LL SEE YOU ON THE ROAD...
East Hill is offline  
Old 06-17-07, 10:00 AM
  #5  
Ziemas
Senior Member
 
Ziemas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 10,082
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by SpokeApe
I've done a "search" and found out what the red stars are.
My Q is:
Is there an length of time one should wait before donating?
I've only been here for abt a week but the info I have received has been of great help/quality and I can only conclude will continue.
I don't want to seem pretentious, being such a newb and all.
SpokeApe
Honestly I don't know why one would donate now as the site has been bought by a large company (Internet Brands) to be run as a for profit operation.

When it was a labor of love run by Joe I tried to donate, but it was impossible do to PayPal restrictions.
Ziemas is offline  
Old 06-17-07, 10:13 AM
  #6  
East Hill
Lanky Lass
 
East Hill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Take a deep breath, and ask--What would Sheldon do?
Posts: 21,434

Bikes: Nishiki Nut! International, Pro, Olympic 12, Sport mixte, and others too numerous to mention.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have to admit I am not certain what the new management intends. Perhaps we could get an administrator to put in his two cents worth as to the direction of Bike Forums.

East Hill
__________________
___________________________________________________
TRY EMPATHY & HAVE LOVE IN YOUR HEART, PERHAPS I'LL SEE YOU ON THE ROAD...
East Hill is offline  
Old 06-17-07, 10:16 AM
  #7  
barba
Senior Member
 
barba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 4,083
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would actually like to hear what the future of the stars are as well. I hope they will continue to buy an ad free version of BF and access to the sales area for those of us that are already contributers. I am not sure I would contribute under the current ownership if I had to do it again. As much as ad free is nice, I pitched in my money to support an independent operation.
barba is offline  
Old 06-17-07, 10:25 AM
  #8  
East Hill
Lanky Lass
 
East Hill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Take a deep breath, and ask--What would Sheldon do?
Posts: 21,434

Bikes: Nishiki Nut! International, Pro, Olympic 12, Sport mixte, and others too numerous to mention.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Yes, the representative of the new owners posted some responses in Foo, but as I do not normally visit that forum, and the thread degenerated into the usual Fooishness, I gave up reading it. So, I don't know what the new owners really intend.

East Hill
__________________
___________________________________________________
TRY EMPATHY & HAVE LOVE IN YOUR HEART, PERHAPS I'LL SEE YOU ON THE ROAD...
East Hill is offline  
Old 06-17-07, 08:01 PM
  #9  
Brian
Senior Member
 
Brian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Between the mountains and the lake.
Posts: 16,681

Bikes: 8 bikes - one for each day of the week!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Ziemas
Honestly I don't know why one would donate now as the site has been bought by a large company (Internet Brands) to be run as a for profit operation.

When it was a labor of love run by Joe I tried to donate, but it was impossible do to PayPal restrictions.
Hmm. What makes you think Joe wasn't running it for a profit? Just curious.
Brian is offline  
Old 06-17-07, 11:30 PM
  #10  
Ziemas
Senior Member
 
Ziemas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 10,082
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Brian
Hmm. What makes you think Joe wasn't running it for a profit? Just curious.
I'm sure toward the end in was turning a profit, but in the days before the massive onslaught of ads I assume that the profit was slim, if none.

There was a noticeable change in the forums when it was turned into a money maker. I posted about it when I noticed it. The mods were cracking down on little things and the ads were becoming much more prevalent. It was clear an investment was being protected.
Ziemas is offline  
Old 06-18-07, 04:27 AM
  #11  
East Hill
Lanky Lass
 
East Hill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Take a deep breath, and ask--What would Sheldon do?
Posts: 21,434

Bikes: Nishiki Nut! International, Pro, Olympic 12, Sport mixte, and others too numerous to mention.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
So, we still don't have an answer to the question...what does the purchase of a red star mean now, and in the future?

East Hill
__________________
___________________________________________________
TRY EMPATHY & HAVE LOVE IN YOUR HEART, PERHAPS I'LL SEE YOU ON THE ROAD...
East Hill is offline  
Old 06-18-07, 05:34 AM
  #12  
Brian
Senior Member
 
Brian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Between the mountains and the lake.
Posts: 16,681

Bikes: 8 bikes - one for each day of the week!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Ziemas
I'm sure toward the end in was turning a profit, but in the days before the massive onslaught of ads I assume that the profit was slim, if none.

There was a noticeable change in the forums when it was turned into a money maker. I posted about it when I noticed it. The mods were cracking down on little things and the ads were becoming much more prevalent. It was clear an investment was being protected.
This is a bit like the blind men and the elephant. You're making assumptions based on your perceptions. Instead of assuming that the profit was slim to none, assume that Joe was out of pocket many months prior to running the banner and text ads.

As far as moderation becoming prevalent, keep in mind that the forum membership doubled from 30k to 60k with no appreciative increase in moderators about 12-18 months ago. It got to be way too much for the few mods that we had just to keep on top of the spam. By the time 2007 rolled around, we had a bigger moderation team, and a new plugin that eliminated 90% of spam. This meant that moderators could actually do their jobs.
Brian is offline  
Old 06-18-07, 05:45 AM
  #13  
SpokeApe
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
SpokeApe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 59
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Okay....
So I'll hold off on the star, I guess?
The ads don't bug me, and my avatar is fine how it is.
I thought I would be helping and individual defer costs.
I'll keep watch.
SpokeApe
SpokeApe is offline  
Old 06-18-07, 06:03 AM
  #14  
Brian
Senior Member
 
Brian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Between the mountains and the lake.
Posts: 16,681

Bikes: 8 bikes - one for each day of the week!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
You should consider your donation as supporting the forums, regardless of whether it is owned by an individual or a corporation.
Brian is offline  
Old 06-18-07, 06:23 AM
  #15  
Ziemas
Senior Member
 
Ziemas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 10,082
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Brian
This is a bit like the blind men and the elephant. You're making assumptions based on your perceptions. Instead of assuming that the profit was slim to none, assume that Joe was out of pocket many months prior to running the banner and text ads.
That's exactly what I figured and why I offered to donate. My PMs on how to donate other than by PayPal were never returned so I figured the money wasn't needed so badly.
Ziemas is offline  
Old 06-18-07, 04:35 PM
  #16  
Brian
Senior Member
 
Brian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Between the mountains and the lake.
Posts: 16,681

Bikes: 8 bikes - one for each day of the week!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Ziemas
That's exactly what I figured and why I offered to donate. My PMs on how to donate other than by PayPal were never returned so I figured the money wasn't needed so badly.
Who did you send your PMs to?
Brian is offline  
Old 06-18-07, 10:29 PM
  #17  
Ziemas
Senior Member
 
Ziemas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 10,082
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Brian
Who did you send your PMs to?
Joe. Two PMs in total, about a week apart.
Ziemas is offline  
Old 06-19-07, 05:45 AM
  #18  
Brian
Senior Member
 
Brian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Between the mountains and the lake.
Posts: 16,681

Bikes: 8 bikes - one for each day of the week!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Recently, or at some point in the distant past?
Brian is offline  
Old 06-19-07, 06:05 AM
  #19  
East Hill
Lanky Lass
 
East Hill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Take a deep breath, and ask--What would Sheldon do?
Posts: 21,434

Bikes: Nishiki Nut! International, Pro, Olympic 12, Sport mixte, and others too numerous to mention.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
See also:

https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-suggestions-user-assistance/284617-way-donate-membership.html
__________________
___________________________________________________
TRY EMPATHY & HAVE LOVE IN YOUR HEART, PERHAPS I'LL SEE YOU ON THE ROAD...
East Hill is offline  
Old 06-19-07, 06:09 AM
  #20  
CyLowe97
Up on the Down Side
 
CyLowe97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Chicago(ish)
Posts: 6,333
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
$25 for a red star on this site is the biggest bargain in all of cycling.

This site is more valuable than any magazine, catalog, or bike shop when it comes to getting the straight dope on gear, rides, and just plain good conversation/debate.
CyLowe97 is offline  
Old 06-19-07, 06:45 AM
  #21  
Ziemas
Senior Member
 
Ziemas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 10,082
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Brian
Recently, or at some point in the distant past?
At a point in the past. About nine months to a year ago if memory serves me correctly.
Ziemas is offline  
Old 06-19-07, 05:05 PM
  #22  
Brian
Senior Member
 
Brian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Between the mountains and the lake.
Posts: 16,681

Bikes: 8 bikes - one for each day of the week!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by CyLowe97
$25 for a red star on this site is the biggest bargain in all of cycling.

This site is more valuable than any magazine, catalog, or bike shop when it comes to getting the straight dope on gear, rides, and just plain good conversation/debate.
I'm hoping to get a ton of stuff for the site and my blog from Interbike 2007 too.

Originally Posted by Ziemas
At a point in the past. About nine months to a year ago if memory serves me correctly.
That would be about right. If you still want a star, please email or PM me.
Brian is offline  
Old 06-20-07, 12:06 AM
  #23  
Ziemas
Senior Member
 
Ziemas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 10,082
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Brian
I'm hoping to get a ton of stuff for the site and my blog from Interbike 2007 too.



That would be about right. If you still want a star, please email or PM me.
Do you have any idea why I never got a response from Joe about donating?
Ziemas is offline  
Old 06-20-07, 05:24 AM
  #24  
Brian
Senior Member
 
Brian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Between the mountains and the lake.
Posts: 16,681

Bikes: 8 bikes - one for each day of the week!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Ziemas
Do you have any idea why I never got a response from Joe about donating?
I certainly can't answer for him, but I do know that he had to switch email addresses, as he had a problem with the original one for payments. It's possible that he was waiting until he sorted that out before he responded, and then your PM just got lost. That's just my guess, based on all the issues he had with his Yahoo mail a while back.

But I have sorted things out for you.
Brian is offline  
Old 06-20-07, 05:38 AM
  #25  
Johnny_Monkey
Studs Terkel
 
Johnny_Monkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Dubai, UAE
Posts: 8,724

Bikes: Pinarello Paris; Avanti Blade Comp; Tommasini X-Fire; Merckx San Remo 76.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Brian
I certainly can't answer for him, but I do know that he had to switch email addresses, as he had a problem with the original one for payments. It's possible that he was waiting until he sorted that out before he responded, and then your PM just got lost. That's just my guess, based on all the issues he had with his Yahoo mail a while back.

But I have sorted things out for you.

So Ziemas gets a freebee?
Johnny_Monkey is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.