Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Thread for Specialized Sirrus

Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Thread for Specialized Sirrus

Reply

Old 01-06-19, 03:26 PM
  #676  
markjenn
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,096
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
I'm getting close to pulling the trigger for a Sirrus X Comp Carbon as my first hybrid as I'm a big fan of 1x and like the mix of up-to-date features for the price. (I might go a bit smaller on the front chainring as I'd prefer to shift the gearing a little more towards the bottom end - I climb some 15% grades getting home on almost every ride.) It is advertised as having "rack/fender mounts" but I don't see anything up by the seat tube for the top of the rack. I assume you have to use a rack that mounts with the seat tube clamp? Has anyone fitted a rack? Is it possible to double-team the mounts to have both?

I'm 6'-2" and it appears the XL is probably the best fit, maybe a little large, but I prefer a bike with more cockpit room in general and I'm getting old enough that I don't want anything very aggressive. If you have any thoughts about fit, I'd appreciate them. None of the LBS's near me keep 1x bikes on the floor. I'm sure the LBS would order me a bike contingent on a fit-check ride, but I'd prefer to get it right at order time.

Thanks,

- Mark
markjenn is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-19, 06:00 PM
  #677  
kergin
Senior Member
 
kergin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Kitchener, ON
Posts: 2,032

Bikes: 1994 Proctor Townsend Reynolds 753, TT S3 True North, Kona Major Jake, Kona Honky Tonk, Marinoni Puima, Cannondale BBU

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Ended up going with the Sirrus X Carbon Comp - it's a great little hybrid, though there are some things that need... tweaking? I either want a longer stem or more setback on the seatpost, along with a firmer spring in the FutureShock.
kergin is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-19, 11:30 PM
  #678  
Doctor Morbius
Interocitor Command
 
Doctor Morbius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: The adult video section
Posts: 3,232

Bikes: Endurance Road, Road, DS Hybrid, Hybrid, Sport MTB

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Hmmmmm, I think something is about to happen to my Sirrus Elite! Wonder what it could be?






Doctor Morbius is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-19, 03:15 AM
  #679  
kristiansantos
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Need to advise on my first sirrus

Should i get the sirrus sport with the carbon fork and sora gears or the elite with full carbon and tiagra gears. Help me decide? should i pay $650 more Australian for thay full carbon? I want to ride about 60kms or more once a week and most days to work is about 15kms
kristiansantos is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-19, 07:11 AM
  #680  
travbikeman
Senior Member
 
travbikeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Inwood WV, but maybe moving closer to the C&O areas
Posts: 1,208

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Crosstrail Sport Disc, Prior bikes owned: 1995 Trek 830, 1988 Schwinn Prelude

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
(to Doctor Morbius) UPGRADES.........the best thing next to N+1....upgrading an already great bike to be even better. Those look like some nice upgrades at that!

Last edited by travbikeman; 01-11-19 at 07:15 AM.
travbikeman is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-19, 07:14 AM
  #681  
travbikeman
Senior Member
 
travbikeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Inwood WV, but maybe moving closer to the C&O areas
Posts: 1,208

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Crosstrail Sport Disc, Prior bikes owned: 1995 Trek 830, 1988 Schwinn Prelude

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Originally Posted by kristiansantos View Post
Should i get the sirrus sport with the carbon fork and sora gears or the elite with full carbon and tiagra gears. Help me decide? should i pay $650 more Australian for thay full carbon? I want to ride about 60kms or more once a week and most days to work is about 15kms
Depends really, if your only riding 60kms (30 miles for us Americans) a few times a week, might be good to just save your money. IF you plan to expand that, then I say go for the upgrade. I have never heard anyone say I wish I got the lower cost bike after buying it. BUT always hear from people (myself included), I wish I had sprung for the better bike or need to upgrade!. If the full carbon Sirrus would make you happier and is in your budget, I say go for it!
travbikeman is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-19, 10:27 AM
  #682  
Doctor Morbius
Interocitor Command
 
Doctor Morbius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: The adult video section
Posts: 3,232

Bikes: Endurance Road, Road, DS Hybrid, Hybrid, Sport MTB

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Originally Posted by travbikeman View Post
(to Doctor Morbius) UPGRADES.........the best thing next to N+1....upgrading an already great bike to be even better. Those look like some nice upgrades at that!
Thanks! The bike will be getting some new wheels too, but for some reason the pic wouldn't upload.
Doctor Morbius is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-19, 11:25 AM
  #683  
badger1
Senior Member
 
badger1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Southwestern Ontario
Posts: 3,917
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 953 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Doctor Morbius View Post
Thanks! The bike will be getting some new wheels too, but for some reason the pic wouldn't upload.
Cool (said the 67 year old man)! Was that a NOS Ultegra triple you managed to find?
badger1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-19, 11:38 AM
  #684  
Doctor Morbius
Interocitor Command
 
Doctor Morbius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: The adult video section
Posts: 3,232

Bikes: Endurance Road, Road, DS Hybrid, Hybrid, Sport MTB

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Originally Posted by badger1 View Post
Cool (said the 67 year old man)!
Thanks, said the 58 year old fart.

Was that a NOS Ultegra triple you managed to find?
Good eye. It is indeed a NOS Ultegra 6503 triple, which I happened to find in my ... GARAGE! I had a choice of chainrings to choose from. All were triples. All were from circa 2004/2005.

I also have a brand spanking new in the box, never used 105 5503 triple chainring in polished silver. It's beautiful. I went with the Ultegra because I bought it as a returned item with a big discount and it had a few scuffs/scratches on it.

Back when Nashbar had a great selection and great prices on closeout items, I bought (hoarded) several components to keep my new 2004 Sequoia Elite running forever. Unfortunately, the Sequoia developed a crack in the frame at 1,800 miles so I had all of this NOS gear left over so I thought I may as well use it.
Doctor Morbius is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-19, 11:51 AM
  #685  
badger1
Senior Member
 
badger1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Southwestern Ontario
Posts: 3,917
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 953 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Doctor Morbius View Post
Thanks, said the 58 year old fart.

Good eye. It is indeed a NOS Ultegra 6503 triple, which I happened to find in my ... GARAGE! I had a choice of chainrings to choose from. All were triples. All were from circa 2004/2005.

I also have a brand spanking new in the box, never used 105 5503 triple chainring in polished silver. It's beautiful. I went with the Ultegra because I bought it as a returned item with a big discount and it had a few scuffs/scratches on it.

Back when Nashbar had a great selection and great prices on closeout items, I bought (hoarded) several components to keep my new 2004 Sequoia Elite running forever. Unfortunately, the Sequoia developed a crack in the frame at 1,800 miles so I had all of this NOS gear left over so I thought I may as well use it.
It's good to have bits squirrelled away ... you never know! I still have my Tiagra triple drivetrain (complete) from my '10 Sirrus Comp in a box. It came off the bike after one season. I should flip it or donate it to the co-op, but I just can't! What if I wanted to go back to a triple, or build a touring bike, or ... ?
badger1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-19, 01:26 PM
  #686  
Doctor Morbius
Interocitor Command
 
Doctor Morbius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: The adult video section
Posts: 3,232

Bikes: Endurance Road, Road, DS Hybrid, Hybrid, Sport MTB

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Originally Posted by badger1 View Post
It's good to have bits squirrelled away ... you never know! I still have my Tiagra triple drivetrain (complete) from my '10 Sirrus Comp in a box. It came off the bike after one season. I should flip it or donate it to the co-op, but I just can't! What if I wanted to go back to a triple, or build a touring bike, or ... ?
I agree. I have a box with road bike components and a box with hybrid/MTB components should I ever find a smoking deal on a frame I like on Craig's List or something. For me half the fun is putzing around with the hardware. Of course, riding them is fun too, but I really enjoy wrenching my own (and even a few friends) bikes. It's cheap therapy.
Doctor Morbius is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-19, 03:15 PM
  #687  
markjenn
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,096
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Pulled the trigger on a 2019 Sirrus X Comp Carbon and should arrive in a week or so. I'll post some picts then. Still curious about how a rear rack will mount and whether I can have both a rack and fenders, but we'll know more when the bike comes in. The LBS didn't have a clue as almost all the Sirrus they sell are the cheaper alloys.

- Mark
markjenn is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-19, 05:05 PM
  #688  
Alrmad
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Have just got word from my LBS that the 2019 Sirrus X will arrive next week. I have asked them twice about raks and fenders, and they insist that it is fully compatible.
Alrmad is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-19, 05:39 PM
  #689  
markjenn
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,096
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Here's my new 2019 Sirrus Carbon Comp X in purple in XL, complete with all the hokey reflectors, cheap seat, etc.



Just done one 15-mile ride, but it is true to the test ride I did a year or two ago of an earlier model..... very responsive, taut, fast, and comfortable. The riding position seems VERY upright to me but that might be more with my being unfamiliar with hybrids.

Still sorting the rack/fender situation. There are separate mounts for each near the dropouts, one for the Plug-N-Play fender system and a separate set of bosses to mount the rack stays inboard of the chain stays. There's also a boss on the brake bridge (or what would be a brake bridge if the bike had caliper brakes). I'll have to sort this all over time. The LBS says that Plug-N-Play fenders are tough to fit with the stock 38mm tires. I'm probably going to skip the fenders.

More impressions after more rides.

- Mark
markjenn is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-19, 08:48 PM
  #690  
Doctor Morbius
Interocitor Command
 
Doctor Morbius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: The adult video section
Posts: 3,232

Bikes: Endurance Road, Road, DS Hybrid, Hybrid, Sport MTB

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
^^^ That's gorgeous! Congrats.
Doctor Morbius is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-19, 10:15 AM
  #691  
DowneasTTer
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: North Central Florida
Posts: 695

Bikes: 2019 Canyon Roadlite 9.0 CF LTD, 2015 Giant FastRoad CoMax 1, 2001 Mongoose Pro Triomphe,

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Originally Posted by markjenn View Post
Pulled the trigger on a 2019 Sirrus X Comp Carbon and should arrive in a week or so. I'll post some picts then. Still curious about how a rear rack will mount and whether I can have both a rack and fenders, but we'll know more when the bike comes in. The LBS didn't have a clue as almost all the Sirrus they sell are the cheaper alloys.

- Mark
That's is indeed a beautiful cycle. You will enjoy the 1 X 11 system. It takes a little while getting used to but then you will not want any 2 x or 3 x system. On the rack there are many options if you are finding problems. Take a look at what I did on my 2015 Giant CoMax 1's or look at want I am using on my 2019 Roadlite CF 9.0. Both of those threads are in this forum. Good luck and enjoy your new cycle.
DowneasTTer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-19, 10:27 PM
  #692  
markjenn
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,096
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Originally Posted by DowneasTTer View Post
That's is indeed a beautiful cycle. You will enjoy the 1 X 11 system. It takes a little while getting used to but then you will not want any 2 x or 3 x system. On the rack there are many options if you are finding problems. Take a look at what I did on my 2015 Giant CoMax 1's or look at want I am using on my 2019 Roadlite CF 9.0. Both of those threads are in this forum. Good luck and enjoy your new cycle.
Yeah, I have 1x on my cross bike and find myself slightly annoyed whenever I have to fiddle with the FD on other bikes. The range and gaps are fine by me, especially on a hybrid, and I've become spoiled by single-lever shifting. Bring on a 10-42t 12-speed ETAP!

On sorting the rear rack, I just happened to have an old Rhode Gear alum rack in my spares pile that almost exactly matches the two bosses on the inside of the chainstays. Just need to fab up a support between the top of the rack and the "brake" bridge. Should be easy enough and I'll have the rear rack sorted.

Next going to put some GP3 or GP5 grips on see if this gives me enough hand positions to be comfortable over distance. The stock handlebar is a flat MTB type with very little sweepback which really puts one in an elbows-out dirt-bike attack mode - I need something a little less aggressive for the longer, mostly-paved roads and urban trails I do.

Love the bike.

- Mark
markjenn is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-19, 08:23 AM
  #693  
Sal Bandini
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 210

Bikes: 2017 Sirrus Sport

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Originally Posted by markjenn View Post
Next going to put some GP3 or GP5 grips on see if this gives me enough hand positions to be comfortable over distance. The stock handlebar is a flat MTB type with very little sweepback which really puts one in an elbows-out dirt-bike attack mode - I need something a little less aggressive for the longer, mostly-paved roads and urban trails I do.

Love the bike.

- Mark
I put inner bar ends on my Sirrus and ride on them about 80% of the time. I think outer bar ends put your arms out too far. I highly recommend these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Sal Bandini is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-19, 02:29 PM
  #694  
prj71
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 1,497
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Originally Posted by markjenn View Post
Here's my new 2019 Sirrus Carbon Comp X in purple in XL, complete with all the hokey reflectors, cheap seat, etc.



Just done one 15-mile ride, but it is true to the test ride I did a year or two ago of an earlier model..... very responsive, taut, fast, and comfortable. The riding position seems VERY upright to me but that might be more with my being unfamiliar with hybrids.

Still sorting the rack/fender situation. There are separate mounts for each near the dropouts, one for the Plug-N-Play fender system and a separate set of bosses to mount the rack stays inboard of the chain stays. There's also a boss on the brake bridge (or what would be a brake bridge if the bike had caliper brakes). I'll have to sort this all over time. The LBS says that Plug-N-Play fenders are tough to fit with the stock 38mm tires. I'm probably going to skip the fenders.

More impressions after more rides.

- Mark
Enough clearance for wider tires?
prj71 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-19, 02:45 PM
  #695  
markjenn
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,096
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Sal Bandini View Post
I put inner bar ends on my Sirrus and ride on them about 80% of the time. I think outer bar ends put your arms out too far. I highly recommend these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Thanks, very interesting, didn't know they had such things. Do you mount them inboard of the perches for the brake levers? If I go with outboard bar ends (e.g., Ergon GP3's) I'll probably trim the handlebars a little narrower. Or look in a different bar all-together..... I don't want to go full cruiser/touring bar sweepback like a Jones bar, but a slightly narrower and slightly more sweepback bar would be my preference. This is my first non-MTB, mostly road riding bike with a flat bar so it will take some time to see what suits me.

- Mark
markjenn is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-19, 03:02 PM
  #696  
markjenn
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,096
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Originally Posted by prj71 View Post
Enough clearance for wider tires?
Slightly wider perhaps, but not a ton. There's about 6mm clearance on each side at the fork with the stock 38mm tires, a bit less at the rear chainstays, maybe 4mm. I'd guess you could go 42mm without too much problem, but it would depend on the tire. Beyond this, I think you'd be at risk of jams, especially in dirt riding. I won't be going any wider and the clearances are tight enough I've decided to forgo fenders, at least if I'm running 38mm. (I think I mentioned in another post that my LBS felt 35mm was about as wide as you should go if you want to fit Plug-And-Play fenders.) When I replace tires, I might go down to 35mm.




- Mark

Last edited by markjenn; 02-01-19 at 03:07 PM.
markjenn is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-19, 03:05 PM
  #697  
markjenn
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,096
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
BTW, the picture I posted in the previous post reminds me that there is a bad abrasion spot where the stiff front brake hydraulic line crosses over the front headtube. In only 50-miles of riding, it had scuffed up my headtube pretty badly. If you have a carbon Sirrus with hydraulic brakes, you might want to check this and put some protection there.

- Mark
markjenn is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-19, 03:11 PM
  #698  
Sal Bandini
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 210

Bikes: 2017 Sirrus Sport

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Originally Posted by markjenn View Post
Thanks, very interesting, didn't know they had such things. Do you mount them inboard of the perches for the brake levers? If I go with outboard bar ends (e.g., Ergon GP3's) I'll probably trim the handlebars a little narrower. Or look in a different bar all-together..... I don't want to go full cruiser/touring bar sweepback like a Jones bar, but a slightly narrower and slightly more sweepback bar would be my preference. This is my first non-MTB, mostly road riding bike with a flat bar so it will take some time to see what suits me.

- Mark
Yes, I mount them inboard directly against the grips. I am still able to access the brake levers quickly.
Sal Bandini is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-19, 03:52 PM
  #699  
badger1
Senior Member
 
badger1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Southwestern Ontario
Posts: 3,917
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 953 Post(s)
Originally Posted by markjenn View Post
BTW, the picture I posted in the previous post reminds me that there is a bad abrasion spot where the stiff front brake hydraulic line crosses over the front headtube. In only 50-miles of riding, it had scuffed up my headtube pretty badly. If you have a carbon Sirrus with hydraulic brakes, you might want to check this and put some protection there.

- Mark
Appreciate that note! 'Copter tape to the rescue, then, when my bike comes in to the shop.
badger1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-19, 04:39 PM
  #700  
prj71
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 1,497
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Originally Posted by markjenn View Post
BTW, the picture I posted in the previous post reminds me that there is a bad abrasion spot where the stiff front brake hydraulic line crosses over the front headtube. In only 50-miles of riding, it had scuffed up my headtube pretty badly. If you have a carbon Sirrus with hydraulic brakes, you might want to check this and put some protection there.

- Mark
That's common on bikes. Matter of fact it exists on every bike I own. I use these at that location.

https://www.amazon.com/Lizard-Skins-...d+skin+patches

https://www.amazon.com/Lizard-Skins-...d+skin+patches

I use this on the downtube...

https://www.amazon.com/Lizard-Skins-...d+skin+patches
prj71 is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service