Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Sirrus X 4.0 VS Trek FX Sport 5

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Sirrus X 4.0 VS Trek FX Sport 5

Old 07-14-22, 02:44 PM
  #1  
Flipper_
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2022
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Sirrus X 4.0 VS Trek FX Sport 5

I've been narrowing things down lately and really think that the Sirrux X is what I want. I need to bump up the speed and intensity for some rides from the Comfort bike I already have, want something that can venture on to the lightest well groomed singletrack and not turn into a **** show but it's main focus will be limestone/rail trails of mixed to good quality, spinning it out. Both of these run 38/40 tires, it appears that the Trek is the better value if you consider Carbon to be a weight and compliance advantage but the future shock handlebar suspension is intriguing and I think it could make a big difference as the roughness increases.

Highlights:
Sirrus X 4.0- 20mm handlebar suspension, carbon fork, Deore 1X11 drivetrain with close spaced ratios
Trek FX Sport 5- Full carbon, partial GRX (Crank/Derailleur) 1X11 drivetrain with close spaced ratios

Want:
Hybrid style because it's harder
Compliance for days but no front suspension fork
Fat tires
Light weight but anything in the 24 Lb and lower areas should be fine

Do we like Trek Carbon these days? Do we like future shock 1.5? Is Future shock 1.5 as maintenance intensive as cheap coil shocks? These bikes are more similar than different but the FX sport 5 is full carbon (instead of just the fork). Seems to me that the Specialized might actually be a better fit, bit more upright but the extra 500 dollars for the Trek seems to be a great deal considering the full carbon and GRX groupset. I hope to take these bikes on singletrack of the easiest type for perhaps 10-20 percent of their riding.

Last edited by Flipper_; 07-14-22 at 02:58 PM.
Flipper_ is offline  
Old 07-22-22, 10:20 AM
  #2  
Flipper_
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2022
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Ok, so, to make a long story short and assuming that both of them would be quick and comfortable on rail trails, etc, which would be better for very light singletrack?
  • The Trek FX Sport 5 with it's full Carbon Frame
  • The Specialized Sirrus 4.0 with it's 20mm of handlebar suspension
Flipper_ is offline  
Old 07-27-22, 08:07 AM
  #3  
DarkSkyHUnter
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 31
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I would look at the Marin DSX 2. It's a 1x12 (10-51) with a 42T chainring. The geometry is better (more aggressive) on this bike for gravel and especially for single track. Wider tire clearance (up to 55mm). The bike cost less, leaving you with more cash to customize accessories and components to your liking. You can even add a dropper post.
DarkSkyHUnter is offline  
Old 07-27-22, 08:27 AM
  #4  
Moisture
Drip, Drip.
 
Moisture's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Southern Ontario
Posts: 1,575

Bikes: Trek Verve E bike, Felt Doctrine 4 XC, Opus Horizon Apex 1

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1033 Post(s)
Liked 190 Times in 160 Posts
Carbon... does not mean that it may be potentially "compliant" the way you're thinking. The stiffest bikes I have ever ridden were Carbon.

I had a Trek FX 7.3 last year. Loved it. The long chainstays and comfy upright riding position felt nice while still being decently fast. I eventually outgrew its performance after a few months of riding and eventually moved on to a true performance drop bar bike. I recommend to buy used if going the hybrid route, with the intention of eventually upping the performance for real.
Moisture is offline  
Old 07-27-22, 04:16 PM
  #5  
StarBiker
Senior Member
 
StarBiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,985

Bikes: Bianchi Grizzly, Cannondale F700,

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 783 Post(s)
Liked 139 Times in 110 Posts
Originally Posted by Moisture View Post
Carbon... does not mean that it may be potentially "compliant" the way you're thinking. The stiffest bikes I have ever ridden were Carbon.

I had a Trek FX 7.3 last year. Loved it. The long chainstays and comfy upright riding position felt nice while still being decently fast. I eventually outgrew its performance after a few months of riding and eventually moved on to a true performance drop bar bike. I recommend to buy used if going the hybrid route, with the intention of eventually upping the performance for real.
Have a 2014 I have been to lazy to list......It's just a little big for me (It was free) but it seems like a really nice comfortable bike.
StarBiker is offline  
Old 10-24-22, 11:22 AM
  #6  
mark.cannon101
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2022
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Flipper_ View Post
I've been narrowing things down lately and really think that the Sirrux X is what I want. I need to bump up the speed and intensity for some rides from the Comfort bike I already have, want something that can venture on to the lightest well groomed singletrack and not turn into a **** show but it's main focus will be limestone/rail trails of mixed to good quality, spinning it out. Both of these run 38/40 tires, it appears that the Trek is the better value if you consider Carbon to be a weight and compliance advantage but the future shock handlebar suspension is intriguing and I think it could make a big difference as the roughness increases.

Highlights:
Sirrus X 4.0- 20mm handlebar suspension, carbon fork, Deore 1X11 drivetrain with close spaced ratios
Trek FX Sport 5- Full carbon, partial GRX (Crank/Derailleur) 1X11 drivetrain with close spaced ratios

Want:
Hybrid style because it's harder
Compliance for days but no front suspension fork
Fat tires
Light weight but anything in the 24 Lb and lower areas should be fine

Do we like Trek Carbon these days? Do we like future shock 1.5? Is Future shock 1.5 as maintenance intensive as cheap coil shocks? These bikes are more similar than different but the FX sport 5 is full carbon (instead of just the fork). Seems to me that the Specialized might actually be a better fit, bit more upright but the extra 500 dollars for the Trek seems to be a great deal considering the full carbon and GRX groupset. I hope to take these bikes on singletrack of the easiest type for perhaps 10-20 percent of their riding.
I am debating these two as well. What did you go with? Thanks
mark.cannon101 is offline  
Old 10-24-22, 03:10 PM
  #7  
Flipper_
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2022
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by mark.cannon101 View Post
I am debating these two as well. What did you go with? Thanks
I actually backed off and decided to buy a motorcycle instead, then got too busy to buy that so I haven't done anything. I also have stopped riding on the groomed limestone trail a few months ago and just hit the root and bump infested MTB trail with my Trek Fuel EX8 instead a couple times a week. I was actually leaning back towards the Trek FX5 Sport for the carbon fiber and the gearing when things went sideways.
Flipper_ is offline  
Old 01-21-23, 11:31 PM
  #8  
Awesomeguy
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Posts: 176
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Moisture View Post
Carbon... does not mean that it may be potentially "compliant" the way you're thinking. The stiffest bikes I have ever ridden were Carbon.

I had a Trek FX 7.3 last year. Loved it. The long chainstays and comfy upright riding position felt nice while still being decently fast. I eventually outgrew its performance after a few months of riding and eventually moved on to a true performance drop bar bike. I recommend to buy used if going the hybrid route, with the intention of eventually upping the performance for real.
what point did you realize you outgrew the fx 7.3? Was it running out of gears , or not enough grips , etc.. please be specific ?
Awesomeguy is offline  
Old 01-22-23, 01:46 AM
  #9  
Moisture
Drip, Drip.
 
Moisture's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Southern Ontario
Posts: 1,575

Bikes: Trek Verve E bike, Felt Doctrine 4 XC, Opus Horizon Apex 1

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1033 Post(s)
Liked 190 Times in 160 Posts
Originally Posted by Awesomeguy View Post
what point did you realize you outgrew the fx 7.3? Was it running out of gears , or not enough grips , etc.. please be specific ?
It mostly had to do with the frame itself and the way I fit on it (over time, adapting to a more aggressive fit as I continued to change and Improve as a cyclist. Main issue was not grooving with flat bars all that well due to a prior arm injury.. but either way, I was destined to eventually move on to somewhere with shorter chainstays which allowed you to balance yourself with more weight over the front center of the bike (longer stem and drop bars...) Once I put a 130mm stem on the Trek, I felt like I simply grew out the design of that frame
​​​​​​
Moisture is offline  
Old 01-22-23, 06:44 PM
  #10  
jaxgtr
Senior Member
 
jaxgtr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 6,178

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 eTap AXS, Trek Emonda ALR 6, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked 1,086 Times in 660 Posts
I have a FX Sport 5 and run Pirelli Cinurato Gravel H 40mm tires on it and it is a very nice ride. It rides very nicely on the road and on hard packed or grass type ground. I also upgrade the seat post to a carbon post to add more comfort.
__________________
Brian | 2023 Trek Domane SLR 7 eTap AXS | 2016 Trek Emonda ALR 6 | 2022 Trek FX Sport 5
Originally Posted by AEO View Post
you should learn to embrace change, and mock it's failings every step of the way.

jaxgtr is offline  
Old 01-30-23, 06:21 PM
  #11  
Awesomeguy
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Posts: 176
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Moisture View Post
It mostly had to do with the frame itself and the way I fit on it (over time, adapting to a more aggressive fit as I continued to change and Improve as a cyclist. Main issue was not grooving with flat bars all that well due to a prior arm injury.. but either way, I was destined to eventually move on to somewhere with shorter chainstays which allowed you to balance yourself with more weight over the front center of the bike (longer stem and drop bars...) Once I put a 130mm stem on the Trek, I felt like I simply grew out the design of that frame
​​​​​​
I have a fx3 and is similar to fx7.3 you had. I tried to removed spacers / flipped the stem (without removing spacer) I didnít find it comfortable, with that said, do you think I should stay away from road bike ?
Awesomeguy is offline  
Old 02-07-23, 01:03 PM
  #12  
Awesomeguy
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Posts: 176
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by jaxgtr View Post
I have a FX Sport 5 and run Pirelli Cinurato Gravel H 40mm tires on it and it is a very nice ride. It rides very nicely on the road and on hard packed or grass type ground. I also upgrade the seat post to a carbon post to add more comfort.

I beleive in a prior post, you had stated, you/your significant other, had the fx sport 2021, that is road oriented, how do the current and old sport version feel different to you?
Awesomeguy is offline  
Old 02-07-23, 01:32 PM
  #13  
jaxgtr
Senior Member
 
jaxgtr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 6,178

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 eTap AXS, Trek Emonda ALR 6, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked 1,086 Times in 660 Posts
Originally Posted by Awesomeguy View Post
I beleive in a prior post, you had stated, you/your significant other, had the fx sport 2021, that is road oriented, how do the current and old sport version feel different to you?
Her bike is a size smaller, so I can't get a full feel for them, but everything is basically the same, except the wheel axle type. Her bike has the standard thru axle, the 2022 has the Thru Skew , which is basically a 9mm standard quick release, but the tightening tightening nut does not come off the bike, so it acts as a sort of thru axle. The 5 rides very nice however.

This is her bike



Waiting on some hub caps to put on the Aeolus Pro 37's so I can use those wheels. So when I have those wheels on, then I will put a smaller cassette on as I don't have hills to worry about, I think I have a 14-28 or a 12-25 in a box , can't remember which ready to go. Pirelli 40mm tires so super comfy. Oh, and I had a set of Shimano Ultegra Ice rotors, so I put those on, since I don't have my Shimano road bike anymore. I moved everything over to SRAM AXS, which I could use these rotors on it, but figured I will run the SRAM rotors down first.

__________________
Brian | 2023 Trek Domane SLR 7 eTap AXS | 2016 Trek Emonda ALR 6 | 2022 Trek FX Sport 5
Originally Posted by AEO View Post
you should learn to embrace change, and mock it's failings every step of the way.


Last edited by jaxgtr; 02-07-23 at 04:09 PM.
jaxgtr is offline  
Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 02-20-23, 07:13 AM
  #14  
Spacemaster
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2023
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I like this bike so much
Spacemaster is offline  
Old 02-20-23, 07:28 AM
  #15  
hokiefyd 
Senior Member
 
hokiefyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Northern Shenandoah Valley
Posts: 4,013

Bikes: '18 Redline Zander, '14 Surly Pugsley, '97 GT Vantara, '97 Trek MultiTrack 750, '70 Peugeot UO-18 Mixte

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1397 Post(s)
Liked 687 Times in 512 Posts
Originally Posted by jaxgtr View Post
This is her bike...
I really like that pair of pictures. Old bike...old Ridgeline. New bike...new Ridgeline.
hokiefyd is offline  
Old 02-20-23, 11:05 AM
  #16  
jaxgtr
Senior Member
 
jaxgtr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 6,178

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 eTap AXS, Trek Emonda ALR 6, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked 1,086 Times in 660 Posts
Originally Posted by hokiefyd View Post
I really like that pair of pictures. Old bike...old Ridgeline. New bike...new Ridgeline.

LOL... Did not even thing about that. Good eye.
__________________
Brian | 2023 Trek Domane SLR 7 eTap AXS | 2016 Trek Emonda ALR 6 | 2022 Trek FX Sport 5
Originally Posted by AEO View Post
you should learn to embrace change, and mock it's failings every step of the way.

jaxgtr is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.