Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

95% Of Our Lives Spent Indoors

Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

95% Of Our Lives Spent Indoors

Reply

Old 04-11-18, 01:39 PM
  #1  
Dahon.Steve
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 7,115
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
95% Of Our Lives Spent Indoors

I received this email from REI and they said human beings spend 95% of their lives indoors! There's no question in my mind this is a direct result of car dependency. However, unless you're living in the suburbs, a walk into the wild requires a 50 mile drive or more! As a result, we spend most of our lives indoors.

I'll admit that I'm probably at 90% indoors most of my life. If it weren't for public transit and my weekend bike trips, I would be most certainly be at 95% indoors.

Here's are the questions. Does being carfree force you to live an indoor life? What percentage of your life do you think is spent indoors?

Dahon.Steve is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-18, 02:11 PM
  #2  
noisebeam
Al
 
noisebeam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: AZ
Posts: 14,557

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2919 Post(s)
Depending on if being in one's own backyard counts I spend ~13% of my time outdoors. I am not car free.

Outdoor breakdown
Cycling: 4.8%
Hiking: 2.4%
Work/errands: 1.3%
Backyard: 4.1%
noisebeam is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-18, 03:42 PM
  #3  
Maelochs
Senior Member
 
Maelochs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 10,141

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 111 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4642 Post(s)
Unless you are a farmer or do some other job which gets you out of doors ... you work eight hours and sleep eight hours and there's two-thirds right there.
Maelochs is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-18, 07:11 PM
  #4  
52telecaster
ambulatory senior
 
52telecaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Peoria Il
Posts: 2,210

Bikes: Bob Jackson World Tour, 81 miyata 912 and 86 miyata 312.

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 696 Post(s)
my commute has me outside quite a bit.
52telecaster is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-18, 07:57 PM
  #5  
350htrr
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Canada, PG BC
Posts: 3,606

Bikes: 27 speed oryx with over 39,000Km on it, 11,000Km with a BionX assist on it

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
I would say it's more like, 90% indoors in the winter (-20*C or colder) and 50% in the summer (+20*C or warmer) in the summer... Where I live...
350htrr is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-18, 08:12 PM
  #6  
jon c. 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Tallahassee, FL
Posts: 3,419
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 804 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Dahon.Steve View Post
I received this email from REI and they said human beings spend 95% of their lives indoors!
I don't believe that's true. Not remotely.

First world perspective?
jon c. is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-18, 08:14 PM
  #7  
wgscott
VectorPotential sensitive
 
wgscott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: The Timbers of Fennario (CL77)
Posts: 3,689

Bikes: Steel

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1918 Post(s)
Originally Posted by jon c. View Post
I don't believe that's true. Not remotely.

First world perspective?
Almost 95% of statistics are made up on the spot.
wgscott is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-18, 08:59 PM
  #8  
350htrr
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Canada, PG BC
Posts: 3,606

Bikes: 27 speed oryx with over 39,000Km on it, 11,000Km with a BionX assist on it

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Originally Posted by wgscott View Post
Almost 95% of statistics are made up on the spot.
Hay, that's what I did...
350htrr is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-18, 09:00 PM
  #9  
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile
 
I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Burlington Iowa
Posts: 27,138

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Whatever the percentage, the real question is: So What?
I-Like-To-Bike is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-18, 09:33 PM
  #10  
tyrion
Senior Member
 
tyrion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: San Diego, California
Posts: 1,838

Bikes: Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 924 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Dahon.Steve View Post
...human beings spend 95% of their lives indoors!
With Zwift and Amazon grocery deliveries, and with careful planning, we can probably get that up to 98% time indoors.
tyrion is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-18, 10:08 PM
  #11  
cooker
Prefers Cicero
 
cooker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Toronto
Posts: 12,741

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 1990s Peugeot (Canadian-made) rigid mountain bike; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3378 Post(s)
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike View Post
Whatever the percentage, the real question is: So What?
It's a public health issue, for one thing. People are pretty aware of the hazards of too much UV exposure damaging skin and increasing the risk of skin cancer, also causing cataracts and so on; but what's less appreciated is that underexposure to sunlight is also linked to a wide range of health problems. In fact underexposure may be a much bigger problem.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2290997/

Last edited by cooker; 04-11-18 at 10:12 PM.
cooker is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-18, 10:34 PM
  #12  
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile
 
I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Burlington Iowa
Posts: 27,138

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Originally Posted by cooker View Post
It's a public health issue, for one thing. People are pretty aware of the hazards of too much UV exposure damaging skin and increasing the risk of skin cancer, also causing cataracts and so on; but what's less appreciated is that underexposure to sunlight is also linked to a wide range of health problems. In fact underexposure may be a much bigger problem.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2290997/
Does that mean that shade trees and forest canopies may be hazardous to our health? Who knew, eh?
I-Like-To-Bike is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-18, 03:08 AM
  #13  
Maelochs
Senior Member
 
Maelochs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 10,141

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 111 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4642 Post(s)
if being indoors were inherently unhealthy, wouldn't most of us be dead by now, seeing as we never go out? And suppose we only go out at night?

The populations in extreme southern or northern latitudes wouldn't make it though winter.
Maelochs is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-18, 05:55 AM
  #14  
indyfabz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 20,067
Mentioned: 138 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7105 Post(s)
Keep in mind that for the first several years of your life you really don't have a choice regarding where you spend your time.


I was fortunate enough to be able to take three extended (between seven weeks and nearly four months) bike trips that involved mostly camping. Constantly being outside in all sorts of weather--from snow to 100+ degree days to humid nights in the mid-80s--is overrated. Try it some time.


Finally, I don't need to drive 50 miles to take a walk in the woods even though I live in the fifth largest city in the U.S. I can hop on my bike, ride maybe 12 miles and do all sorts of wooded hiking, ride single track and even fish for trout.


https://www.fow.org/


Two years ago a bear passed through the area on its way to Delaware for tax-free shopping.
indyfabz is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-18, 08:29 AM
  #15  
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile
 
I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Burlington Iowa
Posts: 27,138

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Originally Posted by indyfabz View Post
Finally, I don't need to drive 50 miles to take a walk in the woods even though I live in the fifth largest city in the U.S. I can hop on my bike, ride maybe 12 miles and do all sorts of wooded hiking, ride single track and even fish for trout.


https://www.fow.org/
Where is that red covered bridge that is shown on the slide show of The Friends of The Wissahickon? I ride on the Forbidden Drive every year during my annual visit to the Area to visit relatives, and never saw it.

Don't get much direct sunshine either while riding on it due to those sunshine hogging trees along the trail, so I make sure that I get my daily Vitamin D from fortified milk on those days.
I-Like-To-Bike is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-18, 10:06 AM
  #16  
noisebeam
Al
 
noisebeam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: AZ
Posts: 14,557

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2919 Post(s)
Originally Posted by 350htrr View Post
I would say it's more like, 90% indoors in the winter (-20*C or colder) and 50% in the summer (+20*C or warmer) in the summer... Where I live...
Do you work outdoors in the summer?
With 8hr sleep, unless done without any shelter, the best one can do is 66%. Add an 8hr 5 day a week indoor workday and then one is at less than 50% outdoors.
noisebeam is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-18, 10:14 AM
  #17  
Stadjer
Senior Member
 
Stadjer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Groningen
Posts: 1,032

Bikes: Gazelle rod brakes, Batavus compact, Peugeot hybrid

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1753 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
if being indoors were inherently unhealthy, wouldn't most of us be dead by now, seeing as we never go out? And suppose we only go out at night?

The populations in extreme southern or northern latitudes wouldn't make it though winter.
It is an issue in the Nordic countries, a mental health issue mostly, but I believe they make sure to go out in the few hours of daylight. I live a bit more to the south, but with only 8 hours of daylight in the winter, I make sure I catch some of it. I believe half an hour is standard doctor's advice here. It's also how I've been raised and what is normal here: go out play on the street, it's not raining hard. Sidewalk cafes are everywhere here, if there's a tiny bit of sun, you have to be in it.

There's probably some ancient wisdom to that, which these days could be useful to countries with more regular daylight, due to working hours and cars.
Stadjer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-18, 10:26 AM
  #18  
Maelochs
Senior Member
 
Maelochs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 10,141

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 111 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4642 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Stadjer View Post
It is an issue in the Nordic countries, a mental health issue mostly, but I believe they make sure to go out in the few hours of daylight. I live a bit more to the south, but with only 8 hours of daylight in the winter, I make sure I catch some of it. I believe half an hour is standard doctor's advice here. It's also how I've been raised and what is normal here: go out play on the street, it's not raining hard. Sidewalk cafes are everywhere here, if there's a tiny bit of sun, you have to be in it.

There's probably some ancient wisdom to that, which these days could be useful to countries with more regular daylight, due to working hours and cars.
I don't know about sunlight (despite having seen Seasonal Affect Disorder be invented and then recognized as a serious mental condition,) but I am sure wisdom is always helpful.
Maelochs is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-18, 10:46 AM
  #19  
Stadjer
Senior Member
 
Stadjer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Groningen
Posts: 1,032

Bikes: Gazelle rod brakes, Batavus compact, Peugeot hybrid

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1753 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
I don't know about sunlight (despite having seen Seasonal Affect Disorder be invented and then recognized as a serious mental condition,) but I am sure wisdom is always helpful.
The Nordic people have been living with lack of daylight and other outside time for ages, they might know how to deal best with it, allthough heavy drinking used to be one of the remedies.

When I was a student I worked night shifts in december and I after I woke up it was already dark again so I didn't catch any daylight. I know for sure that can't be healthy, I've never had any mental issues before or after but after two weeks I had to quit.
Stadjer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-18, 11:33 AM
  #20  
350htrr
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Canada, PG BC
Posts: 3,606

Bikes: 27 speed oryx with over 39,000Km on it, 11,000Km with a BionX assist on it

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Originally Posted by noisebeam View Post
Do you work outdoors in the summer?
With 8hr sleep, unless done without any shelter, the best one can do is 66%. Add an 8hr 5 day a week indoor workday and then one is at less than 50% outdoors.
Retired...
350htrr is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-18, 12:09 PM
  #21  
indyfabz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 20,067
Mentioned: 138 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7105 Post(s)
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike View Post
Where is that red covered bridge that is shown on the slide show of The Friends of The Wissahickon? I ride on the Forbidden Drive every year during my annual visit to the Area to visit relatives, and never saw it.

Rex Avenue, between the Inn and Bells Mills Rd.
indyfabz is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-18, 02:17 PM
  #22  
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile
 
I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Burlington Iowa
Posts: 27,138

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Originally Posted by indyfabz View Post
Rex Avenue, between the Inn and Bells Mills Rd.
That explains it, I always ride into the park from Chestnut Hill via Springfield Ave and Valley Green Rd and head towards Center City via Forbidden Drive and and the east River Drive; Rex Avenue is the other way. Next time, this summer I will have to go the other way on Forbidden Drive to see the bridge. Thanks.
I-Like-To-Bike is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-18, 04:48 PM
  #23  
Dahon.Steve
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 7,115
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Originally Posted by noisebeam View Post
Depending on if being in one's own backyard counts I spend ~13% of my time outdoors. I am not car free.

Outdoor breakdown
Cycling: 4.8%
Hiking: 2.4%
Work/errands: 1.3%
Backyard: 4.1%
That's a pretty high percentage spent outdoors. I figure unless your job requires you to work outdoors, it's a strong possibility you spend most of your life indoors.
Dahon.Steve is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-18, 04:51 PM
  #24  
Dahon.Steve
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 7,115
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Originally Posted by jon c. View Post
I don't believe that's true. Not remotely.

First world perspective?
That's a good question. It's quite possible REI did this to make us feel guilty and spend money on their products so we can expand the time we spend outdoors.

Still, it made me think that maybe I'm spending too much time on the internet!
Dahon.Steve is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-18, 04:52 PM
  #25  
Dahon.Steve
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 7,115
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Originally Posted by tyrion View Post
With Zwift and Amazon grocery deliveries, and with careful planning, we can probably get that up to 98% time indoors.
LOL!
Dahon.Steve is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service