Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

unknown bike

Old 04-09-08, 02:20 PM
  #1  
keewee82
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
unknown bike

I have been asked to organise a bicycle repair workshop on behalf of a local charity and as part of this we have received some bikes to work on and possibly sell. One of these donations is a mystery bike which has no other ID on it other than the manufacturers name, Peugeot.

Unfortunately I can't upload an image of the bike because the file size is too big and exceeds the forums limit but here is a description:

It's a small frame, the colour is light blue and front suspension only.
The fork is a Rockshox Judy XC, Yellow.
Brakes are Shimano Deore LX V-Brakes.
Pedals are Shimano PD-M515 SPD.
Gears are also Deore LX, (including levers/shifters) except the rear mech which is XT.
Mavic X221 rims.
Schwalbe Marathon tyres.
The headset is a Dia Compe Aheadset STC 1 1/8 threadless

Sorry for the lack of picture but hopefully someone will know what this bike is. I have tried to contact Peugeot but they couldn't help.

Thanks.
keewee82 is offline  
Old 04-09-08, 04:21 PM
  #2  
mcoine
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: southern oregon
Posts: 2,631
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by keewee82 View Post
Sorry for the lack of picture but hopefully someone will know what this bike is.
Its a peugeot mountain bike.
mcoine is offline  
Old 04-09-08, 05:21 PM
  #3  
dminor 
Moar cowbell
 
dminor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: The 509
Posts: 12,479

Bikes: Bike list is not a resume. Nobody cares.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
. . . and here I thought it was a Schwinnyetikleindale GT.
__________________

Originally Posted by Mark Twain
"Don't argue with stupid people; they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience."
dminor is offline  
Old 04-09-08, 05:32 PM
  #4  
tizeye 
Senior Member
 
tizeye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 103

Bikes: 1985 Falcon, 2008 Jamis Dakota Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by keewee82 View Post
Unfortunately I can't upload an image of the bike because the file size is too big and exceeds the forums limit but here is a description:

Sorry for the lack of picture but hopefully someone will know what this bike is. I have tried to contact Peugeot but they couldn't help.

Thanks.
Not surprised Peugeot can't help. Do they even still make bikes?

Now for the picture sizing issue. Open a free account at photobucket.com. Upload it there, then they have an edit function that downsizes the picture for web, thumbnail, avatar etc. Don't go too small as can't edit back up in size unless you re-upload the original file which obviously wasn't edited on your computer.

They then have a link that you cut-n-paste to here.
tizeye is offline  
Old 04-09-08, 05:45 PM
  #5  
free_pizza
later
 
free_pizza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 2,471
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by tizeye View Post
Now for the picture sizing issue. Open a free account at photobucket.com. Upload it there, then they have an edit function that downsizes the picture for web, thumbnail, avatar etc. Don't go too small as can't edit back up in size unless you re-upload the original file which obviously wasn't edited on your computer.

They then have a link that you cut-n-paste to here.
much easier way if he/she is using windows XP....

http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...ertoySetup.exe

Download/install.... Right click image file, resize image, choose image size (usually medium will put it under 100kb) and attach to thread....

If you are using a mac, download the image shackle widget....
free_pizza is offline  
Old 04-09-08, 06:02 PM
  #6  
cooker
Prefers Cicero
 
cooker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Toronto
Posts: 12,784

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3518 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Open the image in MS paint, resize using image>stretch/skew. Save as jpg. Repeat if necessary
cooker is offline  
Old 04-09-08, 06:07 PM
  #7  
dminor 
Moar cowbell
 
dminor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: The 509
Posts: 12,479

Bikes: Bike list is not a resume. Nobody cares.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Photobucket. It will even automatically downsample it for you when you upload. Great interface.
__________________

Originally Posted by Mark Twain
"Don't argue with stupid people; they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience."
dminor is offline  
Old 04-09-08, 06:13 PM
  #8  
AKRX
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 83
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Peugot's a european car company. They don't actually make bikes. In this case, it's a no-name biek thats been branded with Peugot's name. Cadillac, Jeep, GM, etc. have all done this as well. You won't find any help from the company, as it's not an actual product they make. The only car companies known to make full out bikes are mercedes (an overpriced commuter bike made to accompany their cars) and Honda (A downhill racer that is not available to the public, only one pro rides it, who's name currently eludes me). I heard rumors about honda putting this bike into mass production, but I'm not sure about the acuraccy of this.

But yea, you won't find any help with this bike.
AKRX is offline  
Old 04-09-08, 06:15 PM
  #9  
BenLi
Hardrocker
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,569
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AKRX View Post
Peugot's a european car company. They don't actually make bikes. In this case, it's a no-name biek thats been branded with Peugot's name. Cadillac, Jeep, GM, etc. have all done this as well. You won't find any help from the company, as it's not an actual product they make. The only car companies known to make full out bikes are mercedes (an overpriced commuter bike made to accompany their cars) and Honda (A downhill racer that is not available to the public, only one pro rides it, who's name currently eludes me). I heard rumors about honda putting this bike into mass production, but I'm not sure about the acuraccy of this.

But yea, you won't find any help with this bike.
Nope. Peugeot was an actual bike company.

Read up: http://www.re-cycle.com/History/Peugeot.aspx

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/vrbn-o-z.html#peugeot
BenLi is offline  
Old 04-09-08, 06:26 PM
  #10  
the1amradio
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 166
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AKRX View Post
Peugot's a european car company. They don't actually make bikes. In this case, it's a no-name biek thats been branded with Peugot's name. Cadillac, Jeep, GM, etc. have all done this as well. You won't find any help from the company, as it's not an actual product they make. The only car companies known to make full out bikes are mercedes (an overpriced commuter bike made to accompany their cars) and Honda (A downhill racer that is not available to the public, only one pro rides it, who's name currently eludes me). I heard rumors about honda putting this bike into mass production, but I'm not sure about the acuraccy of this.

But yea, you won't find any help with this bike.

Incorrect. You ought to visit the vintage or SSFG sections once in a while.
the1amradio is offline  
Old 04-09-08, 06:35 PM
  #11  
free_pizza
later
 
free_pizza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 2,471
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by AKRX View Post
Peugot's a european car company. They don't actually make bikes. In this case, it's a no-name biek thats been branded with Peugot's name.


You won't find any help from the company, as it's not an actual product they make.

But yea, you won't find any help with this bike.


If you havent a clue what you are talking about, dont contribute.
free_pizza is offline  
Old 04-09-08, 06:47 PM
  #12  
mtnbiker66
Old School Rad
 
mtnbiker66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: The old Mountains
Posts: 8,206

Bikes: Blur LT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by free_pizza View Post


If you havent a clue what you are talking about, dont contribute.
Now you know how much fun this can be. I think he should post away!
__________________
Like a circus monkey on a stolen Harley......
mtnbiker66 is offline  
Old 04-09-08, 08:30 PM
  #13  
tizeye 
Senior Member
 
tizeye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 103

Bikes: 1985 Falcon, 2008 Jamis Dakota Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mtnbiker66 View Post
Now you know how much fun this can be. I think he should post away!
Next he will be telling us that Panasonic makes TVs, not bikes. Obviously didn't grow up in the 80s.
tizeye is offline  
Old 04-09-08, 10:14 PM
  #14  
dminor 
Moar cowbell
 
dminor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: The 509
Posts: 12,479

Bikes: Bike list is not a resume. Nobody cares.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tizeye View Post
Next he will be telling us that Panasonic makes TVs, not bikes. Obviously didn't grow up in the 80s.
Panasonic doesn't make anything; but Matsu*****a Electronics made a lot of TVs with a Panasonic label on them .

(Oh, haha - - I had to misspell Matsu*****a to not get it starred out)
__________________

Originally Posted by Mark Twain
"Don't argue with stupid people; they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience."
dminor is offline  
Old 04-10-08, 02:04 AM
  #15  
RE:Todd
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lemoore, CA
Posts: 11

Bikes: Diamondback Response Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dminor View Post
Photobucket. It will even automatically downsample it for you when you upload. Great interface.
I use Irfanview
RE:Todd is offline  
Old 04-10-08, 05:21 AM
  #16  
tizeye 
Senior Member
 
tizeye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 103

Bikes: 1985 Falcon, 2008 Jamis Dakota Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dminor View Post
Panasonic doesn't make anything; but Matsu*****a Electronics made a lot of TVs with a Panasonic label on them .

(Oh, haha - - I had to misspell Matsu*****a to not get it starred out)
That is about like saying Chevrolet doesn't make cars, General Motors does and puts the Chevrolet label on them.

With reference to Panasonic and their parent company, get ready for that to change. On January 10, 2008 Matsu****a announced that it intends to change the company name to Panasonic Corporation, effective October 1, 2008. The decision is pending on approval at the firm's annual shareholder's meeting in June.

Finally, Panasonic bicycles:
Here is one for sale in your area. http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/bik/636624418.html

Matsu****a still lists "bicycles" in their 2007 Annual Report in the "Other" business categories that includes Electronic-components-mounting machines, industrial robots, welding equipment, bicycles, imported materials and components, etc. That group provided 14% of sales.
tizeye is offline  
Old 04-12-08, 08:22 PM
  #17  
Dilberto
Senior Member
 
Dilberto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 952
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Open your picture up in Microsoft Paint(right-click picture, scroll-down to "Open With"; go to "Paint"):

1) open the "Image" tab, scroll-down to "Stretch/Skew"
2) reset horizontal size to 50%
3) reset vertical size to 50%
4) click OK
5) repeat above procedures(#1-4, for sufficient size reduction. 100% vertical/horizontal size reset will result in NO picture!)
6) open "File" tab
7) scroll-down to "Save As"
8) rename your newly-reduced picture
9) upload/post picture

Last edited by Dilberto; 04-12-08 at 08:36 PM.
Dilberto is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Mindrx
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
4
06-05-16 01:37 PM
Ekdog
Living Car Free
17
03-20-16 12:15 PM
Kimmo
Bicycle Mechanics
11
10-03-12 01:45 PM
halfspeed
Road Cycling
1
08-01-09 10:21 AM
phantomcow2
Foo
1
02-05-07 12:32 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.